Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592732 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1939 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #1515 on: May 14, 2017, 02:33:18 am »

I'll vote for Comintern for now to at least keep the option open.
STRATEGY
10 Attack the plains: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237, 3_14159
10 Attack the jungle: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237, 3_14159
8 Don't deploy the ERA: Powder Miner, Taricus, Andrea, Piratejoe, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237, 3_14159

DIPLOMACY
9 Join the Allies: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237, Piratejoe, S34N1C, evictedSaint, 3_14159
5 --Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, VoidSlayer, evictedSaint, 3_14159
3 --Send them the RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY": Lightforger, Baffler, Hibou
1 --Send them the Firecracker (+ all of its variants): Madman198237

7 Join the Axis: Taricus, NUKE9.13, RAM, Andrea, NAV, strongpoint, Baffler
3 --Send the Axis the RPG28A: Taricus, Andrea, strongpoint
0 --Send the Reckless Effect:
2 --Send the Tiger Armour: Piratejoe, NAV

4 Join Comintern: Mulisa, VoidSlayer, Azzuro, Chiefwaffles
2 --Send Stinger: Mulisa, VoidSlayer
1 --Send AS-AR34: Azzuro
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 14, 2017, 02:34:46 am »

It's not necessarily a safe bet to assume that Cannala is going Allied, and the situation we're in RIGHT NOW, proves that it isn't. By your own logic, we wouldn't be voting for the Allies right now, and WE don't even have any sort of short-term reasons to be voting Allied! So with that research credit in the mix, I imagine the Axis are very attractive for them.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 14, 2017, 02:37:30 am »

I'll vote for Comintern for now to at least keep the option open.
STRATEGY
10 Attack the plains: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237, 3_14159
10 Attack the jungle: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237, 3_14159
8 Don't deploy the ERA: Powder Miner, Taricus, Andrea, Piratejoe, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237, 3_14159

DIPLOMACY
9 Join the Allies: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237, Piratejoe, S34N1C, evictedSaint, 3_14159
5 --Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, VoidSlayer, evictedSaint, 3_14159

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 14, 2017, 02:38:50 am »

It's not necessarily a safe bet to assume that Cannala is going Allied, and the situation we're in RIGHT NOW, proves that it isn't. By your own logic, we wouldn't be voting for the Allies right now, and WE don't even have any sort of short-term reasons to be voting Allied! So with that research credit in the mix, I imagine the Axis are very attractive for them.

Only because Cannala will likely assume we are going Axis/Comintern in return, hence why they shouldn't consider going Axis as they will have a great disadvantage should Forenia decide to go Axis as well, so they've discarded the possibility.

Plus, Expense credit is really the most useful for them. Their stuff is better than ours, but often more expensive and hence deployed in lesser numbers.

EDIT: Funk, did you vote for anything? Please vote Comintern, so we can get cool rocket artillery. PEWPEWPEW!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:41:03 am by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 14, 2017, 02:40:22 am »

That's a good point too, they benefit from the expense credit more than we could: They have a lot more expensive gear than us.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 14, 2017, 02:40:55 am »

the USA has a very strong head of state, but ultimately he needs congress to not impeach him while he does stuff.

Anyway, a few things:
1) Who won the war likely has little effect. if we are offered 3 choices, all 3 would be viable without one meaning we get invaded by USA in a few turns or we autolose in 1945.

2)British may want compensation for Myark. One of the things proposed by Sensei was that they would ask Myark ore for a few turns. Do I need to say how bad that is?

3)The credits we see are probably representative of the overall style of the faction. Our military currently is obscenely cheap, expenses do little to us

4)It is unlikely cannalans go for axis, after their invasion ( not that it is an absolutely reliable predictor, see this thread). If they do and win, we just lost one turn of bonuses.

5)Joining a side will put some pressure on our government to adapt, but that is far from saying we will have to go full fascist. A president with the powers of the modern president of USA and the usual war powers everyone gets may be all we need

6)Joining allies does not mean having absolutely free democracy. If the wrong part comes close to winning, they will not be allowed to. So the difference may be less big than some are making it. Keep in mind this is the 1939 world we are talking about. In US black people and white people still are largely segregated, antisemitism is rampant everywhere and much of the world has an interest in eugenics.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 14, 2017, 02:41:06 am »

How do we know that we will be getting the allied island? I don't see anything about changing the affiliation of sliands based upon joining an alliance.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 14, 2017, 02:41:35 am »

STRATEGY

DIPLOMACY
6 --Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, VoidSlayer, evictedSaint, 3_14159
2 --Send them the RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY": Lightforger, Baffler, Hibou

Upon further consideration, the Stinger is probably the better choice. Our RADAR isn't quiiite where I'd like it to be in regards to technological know-how. The Stinger's served us well and has only a few minor bugs. The Ministry of Bad Ideas has also suggested we throw in our three part vinyl record set of Piloting A Flying Death Machine, with Tereshkova! to get them on the path to success.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 14, 2017, 02:49:56 am »

Okay, so. Regarding US doctrine aligning with ours: isn't that a strike against the Allies? We're already winning in the air, we don't need even more help there. We need help on the naval front- we need the knowledge of a global power who has spent the last two decades planning how to defeat a vastly superior navy. I would really like to see the look on a Cannalan's face when we sink their battleship from 20km away with a Type 93.

Regarding the difficulty of joining the Allies: yes, exactly. We've upset the Allies. We would need an exceptional design to get in good with them. The only piece of tech we have that they'd really like is the Dolphin, I think (America especially struggled to develop a decent torpedo until half way through the war). And assuming Cannala tries for the Allies as well, all they'd have to offer is a reasonable design to beat us.

Regarding the REEE factor of joining the Axis: look, I don't like it either. The Axis (despite what Taricus says) were the Bad Guys. But I believe that we can join them in an alliance of convenience, where we do not have to agree with them politically, just acknowledge that they are the best option strategically. And fighting to maintain democracy in the face of foreign pressure? That's a bonus, in my book. Far more interesting than just being democratic. I think we will be able to hang on to our democratic virtues even whilst being a member of the Axis.
Long Live United Forenia!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 14, 2017, 02:55:12 am »

Sending the dolphin to the allies seems very useful - might help them fix their own Mark 14 and help them with their frankly obsolete air-launched one.

STRATEGY

DIPLOMACY
5 --Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, VoidSlayer, evictedSaint
2 --Send them the RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY": Lightforger, Baffler, Hibou
1 --Send them the DOLPHIN: 3_14159

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 14, 2017, 02:57:02 am »

If Cominterm would get us a free territory, then I can't really argue against that, unless my brief moment of lucidity passes... If we get confirmation on that, then I guess someone can changemy voteto cominterm if they care to.

P.S. Has it really been 300 posts since the last turn?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 14, 2017, 02:57:41 am »

I am simply worried about the future of Forenia.  Aligning with the Axis will have negative moral, political, and economic reprocussions regardless of whether they win or lose.  Considering we have a disregarded certain weapon ideas because they're too "War-crime"-ish, I kinda want is to stay as the "good guys".

Dont forget, our eventual plan is NOT to take over Cannala, but reinstate Jukari government and ensure a better life for their people.  Cannala is a dictatorship relying on slave labor; if that doesnt scream "evil" then I dont know what will.

Forenia has fought long and hard for a Republic, freedom, the right for every citizen to have a military-grade firearm hung over their fireplace, and liberty from the evils of "High Command".  Axis is a step backwards from the progress we've made these past few decades and I don't want us to lose that.  I just want us to be the "good guys" for once.

If Cominterm would get us a free territory, then I can't really argue against that, unless my brief moment of lucidity passes... If we get confirmation on that, then I guess someone can changemy voteto cominterm if they care to.

P.S. Has it really been 300 posts since the last turn?

Siding with the cominterm would not give us the territory.

STRATEGY

DIPLOMACY
2 --Send them the Stinger: Stabby, VoidSlayer
3 --Send them the DOLPHIN: 3_14159, evictedSaint, Powder Miner

Good point, they'll find more value in the Dolphin that the stinger.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:03:25 am by evictedSaint »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 14, 2017, 03:00:32 am »

STRATEGY

DIPLOMACY
4 --Send them the Stinger: Stabby, VoidSlayer
3 --Send them the Dolphin: Powder Miner, evictedSaint, 3_14159

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:04:13 am by Powder Miner »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 14, 2017, 03:01:12 am »

Negative from our perspective, and that's subjective. And it's the 'Good guys' that write history because they're left standing.

And we never agreed on an end-plan for the war. I'm all for keeping it under our direct control, if as an internally autonomous area, led by the juraki.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 14, 2017, 03:01:55 am »

RAM, the extra oil doesn't actually get us anything. although could be future proofing.

Now: lets remember: we are not trying to be mini-germany if we join axis.
we are trying to be FINLAND. allies of convenience, suffering a bit from external pressure, but ultimately surviving with no problems.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 500