Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591573 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1939 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #1470 on: May 13, 2017, 11:15:36 pm »

That's pessimism to an absurd degree without grounding in reality, as your attitude has tended to be over this game.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: May 13, 2017, 11:17:00 pm »

People keep claiming that America dislikes us, but there's no evidence for this, because it's a claim people make to justify joining the axis -- there was absolutely zip in terms of mention of it in the competition for the design credit, and it was just a governmental-governmental matter anyway... the Kingdom of Moskurg and Republic of Arstotzka don't exist anymore. The US doesn't dislike us at all, and I'd argue that we're on better terms with them than the Cannalans are, as was demonstrated last year!
Well, the US is moot since it's only britain and france in the allies right now (Maybe poland too). And the former we don't have a good relationship with.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: May 13, 2017, 11:18:45 pm »

Sensei's at least counting the American political and economic favoring of the US enough to grant an expense credit, although I'd argue that the long-term consequences of the alliance are a hell of a lot more important than exactly which brand of bonus we get on one turn.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: May 13, 2017, 11:19:31 pm »

Well, the US is moot since it's only britain and france in the allies right now (Maybe poland too). And the former we don't have a good relationship with.
If they had a problem with it they should've spoken up about it after the island. Even so, assuming our design is nice enough we could call this an olive branch. Let byislands be byislands.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: May 13, 2017, 11:20:36 pm »

Sure, but those consequences are likely to be in the post-war era. AKA nothing we'd have to worry about right now :P

@Hibou: I think we're going to need an olive tree. And they did speak out on it, we flipped them the bird though :P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: May 13, 2017, 11:32:47 pm »

Voted for Axis. They have the best bonus, and we don't have to fight the war. We can be like Franco and just sit in the stands waving a little flag, then be ignored by everyone afterward. It also gives us free rein to grab the commie island if we should want to.

STRATEGY
9 Attack the plains: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237
9 Attack the jungle: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237
7 Don't deploy the ERA: Powder Miner, Taricus, Andrea, Piratejoe, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237

DIPLOMACY
8 Join the Allies: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, Lightforger, Chiefwaffles, Madman198237, Piratejoe, S34N1C
8 Join the Axis: Taricus, NUKE9.13, RAM, evictedSaint, Andrea, NAV, strongpoint, Baffler
2 Join Comintern: Mulisa, VoidSlayer
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
4 -Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, Mulisa, voidslayer
1 -Send them the RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY": Lightforger, Baffler
4 -Send the Axis the RPG28A: Taricus, Andrea, strongpoint
0 -Send the Reckless Effect:
3 -Send the Tiger Armour: Piratejoe, evictedSaint, NAV
1 -Send them the Firecracker (+ all of its variants)

Voted for the RPG because it helps them the most, though it was a close thing between it and the RDN-39. The stinger isn't all that much better than a BF 109, and it definitely isn't better than the FW 190.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:46:29 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: May 13, 2017, 11:56:04 pm »

Sensei's at least counting the American political and economic favoring of the US enough to grant an expense credit, although I'd argue that the long-term consequences of the alliance are a hell of a lot more important than exactly which brand of bonus we get on one turn.
We do not know how the war will go. Basing it off of the historical outcome is dubious due to the weird(and impossible) technologies we are flinging about. The outcome of the war could be odd, it is not impossible to just be ignored as never having been a proper member of the axis, just someone who failed to embargo them and continued to trade technologies, that sounds pretty bad in its own way, but there are ways and means of getting away with it. And, pwersonally, if I were running this game, I would be royally irritated at people metagaming who will win the war, when at this point in time it looks as though the germans are doing pretty well. Maybe a bit overabitious, but who knows. And once blitzkrieg happens we will know that we are on the winning side!

Really, there is no "join the winning side" advantage here. The real question is: Do we wand Axis innovation or Allied consistency? The allies will never make suicide bombers or jet fighter or international rockets or 1000 tonne tanks. The allies ARE going to make lots of very boring things. Like endless oceans of heavy bombers, or massive computational machines to just grind through endless numbers while a very bored nerd glares at it, or a whole load of big dull carriers, or dozens of different planes that all use the same boring old 50cal...

If we want to cover the basics, we go allies, if we want help with our insanity, we go axis. And remember, we may not get our first choice...

h, and whoever fixed the vote box failed, the votes for what to send are dependant upon who is being sent to...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: May 13, 2017, 11:57:53 pm »

I did not mean "the winning side" when I mentioned long-term stuff, but rather doctrine similarities and potential support there (the carrier fetish USN is VERY relevant to our air-first doctrine, as is US doctrine in general) , as well as the political and fluff and "IC" concerns which are most definitely affected by this vote.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: May 14, 2017, 12:01:45 am »

Noticed that Moskurgs final revision to the Death Ball isn't accounted for in the armoury. Made out of cement and rebar instead of stone. I believe that makes it merely expensive, or at least very expensive instead of national effort. Might be useful for defending the plains.

The Death Ball: Instead of a boulder, it is made of cement with rebair reinforcement. It is rounder (so more likely to go in a straight line) and cheaper. The concrete itself is probably more prone to shedding off due to shell fire, but with its rebar structure it won't split all at once. Costs 4 ore, 2 oil. Not easy to move after construction, but at least cement can be carried by truck where it's needed.

Goodnight. I start new job tomorrow.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: May 14, 2017, 12:03:43 am »

>4 ore 2 oil
>4 ore 2 oil
>4 ore 2 oil
OH GOOD LORD GOD WE'RE GOIN NOW

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: May 14, 2017, 12:04:54 am »

This was the last good version of the votebox I could find
STRATEGY
8 Attack the plains: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger
8 Attack the jungle: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger
6 Don't deploy the ERA: Powder Miner, Taricus, Andrea, Piratejoe, Hibou, Lightforger

DIPLOMACY
5 Join the Allies: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, Lightforger, Chiefwaffles
3 -Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou
1 -Send them the RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY": Lightforger
6 Join the Axis: Taricus, NUKE9.13, RAM, evictedSaint, Andrea, Piratejoe, NAV
2 -Send the Axis the RPG28A: Taricus, Andrea
0 -Send the Reckless Effect:
3 -Send the Tiger Armour: Piratejoe, evictedSaint, NAV
1 -Join Comintern: Mulisa
1 -Send Stinger: Mulisa
[/quote

STRATEGY
9 Attack the plains: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237
9 Attack the jungle: Powder Miner, Taricus, Piratejoe, NUKE9.13,Stabby, Andrea, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237
7 Don't deploy the ERA: Powder Miner, Taricus, Andrea, Piratejoe, Hibou, Lightforger, Madman198237

DIPLOMACY
8 Join the Allies: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, Lightforger, Chiefwaffles, Madman198237, Piratejoe, S34N1C
4 --Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, VoidSlayer
2 --Send them the RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY": Lightforger, Baffler
1 --Send them the Firecracker (+ all of its variants): Madman198237

8 Join the Axis: Taricus, NUKE9.13, RAM, evictedSaint, Andrea, NAV, strongpoint, Baffler
3 --Send the Axis the RPG28A: Taricus, Andrea, strongpoint
0 --Send the Reckless Effect:
3 --Send the Tiger Armour: Piratejoe, evictedSaint, NAV

2 --Send Stinger: Mulisa, VoidSlayer
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 14, 2017, 12:36:58 am »

STRATEGY

DIPLOMACY
9 Join the Allies: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, Lightforger, Chiefwaffles, Madman198237, Piratejoe, S34N1C, evictedSaint
5 --Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, VoidSlayer, evictedSaint
2 --Send them the RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY": Lightforger, Baffler

7 Join the Axis: Taricus, NUKE9.13, RAM, Andrea, NAV, strongpoint, Baffler
2 --Send the Tiger Armour: Piratejoe, NAV

I am fickle and switching my vote to the Allies.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 14, 2017, 12:58:02 am »

STRATEGY

DIPLOMACY
9 Join the Allies: Powder Miner, Stabby, Hibou, Lightforger, Chiefwaffles, Madman198237, Piratejoe, S34N1C, evictedSaint
4 --Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, VoidSlayer, evictedSaint
3 --Send them the RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY": Lightforger, Baffler, Hibou

I'm going to be fickle as well and switch over to offering the DEADLIER RAY. That's probably going to get more attention than our fighter. There's been equivalent installations produced by various countries worldwide by this point, but I think we're the first ones to be using it in war on this scale. At the very least it'd show that we're very much on the cutting edge of science. Even if our soldiers are still wearing WWI uniforms.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 14, 2017, 01:01:48 am »

STRATEGY

DIPLOMACY
4 --Send them the Stinger: Powder Miner, Stabby, VoidSlayer, evictedSaint
3 --Send them the RDN-39-2 "DEADLIER RAY": Lightforger, Baffler, Hibou

3 Join Comintern: Mulisa, VoidSlayer, Azzuro
1 --Send AS-AR34: Azzuro

Joining the Red Corner. And voting to send them assault rifles, because I sorta remember an unfortunate incident wherein Nazi Germany acquired assault rifles from us.

Anyway, justifications:
-Joining the Comintern will allow us to absorb the other island and its resources without a fight, allowing us to keep taking chances to advance against Cannala.
-Our doctrine seems to be "quality in quantity", which is already what the Soviets have got going on.
-The Espionage Credit is the most useful of the three. A research credit still has a chance of rolling the same, while the expense credit only works for one turn. However, with an Espionage credit we can steal a successful enemy design for the rest of the game.
-Soviets like rockets. We like rockets. It's a match made in heaven!

United Forenia Forever!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 14, 2017, 01:13:14 am »

Man don't join the red corner, that's just splitting votes. Mind the allies also already have radar arrays which they are able to use more effectively.  Between that and the cannalans almost certainly going towards the allies means that trying to appease the brits is basically wasted effort.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 500