Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591495 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #1185 on: May 10, 2017, 11:53:51 pm »

Obviously, we'll keep going in the jungle. We don't need to attack the other NPC island and probably shouldn't anyway, and the Archipelago is both secured and even more navy-dependent than the tundra, which we still have the chance to deny.
Quote from: Attack Fronts
Tundra Island (1): Powder Miner
Northern Jungle (1): Powder Miner

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 10, 2017, 11:55:03 pm »

Quote from: Tactics
Tundra Island (2): Powder Miner, Lightforger
Northern Jungle (2): Powder Miner, Lightforger
Keep the radar a secret (1): Lightforger

I don't think the RADAR will do enough this turn to warrant tipping the Cannalans off to it. Also they reline heavily on their navy advantage to give them more troops which we have a decent chance of getting down to contested.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 10, 2017, 11:59:02 pm »

Keep the radar a secret (1): Lightforger
Send the radar out (1): Powder Miner

I don't think the RADAR will do enough this turn to warrant tipping the Cannalans off to it. Also they reline heavily on their navy advantage to give them more troops which we have a decent chance of getting down to contested.
I disagree greatly and I actually believe that it is vital this turn. Now that they control all the land in the tundra, Cannala no longer has any reason to push that island -- instead they are likely to push a new island, either the plains or the mountain. Now, radar would provide a fantastic defensive bonus to both of these islands, as it is explicitly stated to work A. on coastal terrain and when there are no obstacles and B. on mountains... which covers the plains and mountains respectively. If we are able to intercept their incoming ships and aircraft, especially when we have torpedos to hit their ships, we stand a veryr goodchance of rebuffing them from whichever island they choose to attack entirely.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:01:21 am by Powder Miner »

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: May 11, 2017, 12:23:22 am »

I disagree greatly and I actually believe that it is vital this turn. Now that they control all the land in the tundra, Cannala no longer has any reason to push that island -- instead they are likely to push a new island, either the plains or the mountain. Now, radar would provide a fantastic defensive bonus to both of these islands, as it is explicitly stated to work A. on coastal terrain and when there are no obstacles and B. on mountains... which covers the plains and mountains respectively. If we are able to intercept their incoming ships and aircraft, especially when we have torpedoes to hit their ships, we stand a very good chance of rebuffing them from whichever island they choose to attack entirely.
My thoughts on this our RADAR isn't that great at sea provided it works there(the note about a clean sight line suggest we have problems dealing with feedback and would mess with sea use) and scout planes are extremely good at spotting ships unless they run with their lights off at night. In that case(starless night, lights off) they need to use their radios to find each other and keep a good formation and I firmly believe that we can pick up radio signals further then our RADAR towers can see. In the air it would help but, we are getting cheap stingers next turn which will make sure they can't contest our air control. Using the RADAR out in the open sends clear signal to them to fix up their air power lest they be over run. If we act like we got a failed design we can spring a surprise on them next turn when we hopefully get a decent roll.

As a side note on discord the Cannalans said they got a 1 on their design and where quite salty for a while so, while it could be a ruse I'm doubtful. If it's true all the more reason to not tip them off.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 11, 2017, 12:28:31 am »

Unusability at sea thanks to feedback is a bit of a jump to make from a design that A. doesn't mention it at all, and B. is explicitly mentioned as being set up at coastal locations. Scout planes do not provide a 24/7, comprehensive view at all -- you expend fuel when you fly your planes, and you've got to send them out in patrols and on shifts -- radar has the advantage of, even if in a crude form, providing that intel the moment they hit its line of detection. And I've got a question for you: how does radar at all provide a more compelling signal to fix their airpower up than something which will actually be affected by their airpower, namely the improved torpedoes we have? I'm actually not sure how radar sends that signal to them at all.

I also don't know how viable it is for us to hide it at this point, considering that they know what rolls we got on our design now, and they know that we used our research credit, which provides us with

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: May 11, 2017, 12:54:55 am »

There is the question of whether they will know that it is radar. I don't know what the first pilotsto see enemy radar thought of it, but it isn't exactly a screaming neon sign blaring out an incessant "Imma see you wenna you not seein' me!" from two centimetres away from their face... Of course, the G.M. will have to say *something* and it is not as though there is thousands of mission reports to hide it in that they need to go through trying to figure out what might be increasing enemy detection rates, and a dozen different projects that we are running in tandem... So yes, they will know it is radar immediately, but we can tease them for metagaming, and surely that is the best reward of all!

But, umm, hypothetically, could we ask our coastal defences to throw around some spotting positions with greatly varying degrees of cannophage? They might think that they are being spotted by hidden spotters and we have some new radio towers to help them communicate...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 11, 2017, 01:15:11 am »

Send the radar out (2): Powder Miner, Lightforger

Eh, screw it lets send the RADAR out.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1192 on: May 11, 2017, 02:18:55 am »

Tundra Island (3): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN
Northern Jungle (3): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN
Send the radar out (3): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: May 11, 2017, 02:19:28 am »

Tundra Island (4): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, Andrea
Northern Jungle (4): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, Andrea
Send the radar out (3): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 11, 2017, 04:28:15 am »

Tundra Island (5): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, Andrea, NUKE9.13
Northern Jungle (5): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, Andrea, NUKE9.13
Send the radar out (4): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, NUKE9.13
Obviously any attempt at retaking the archipelago would be fruitless. If we could, I would be directing all our forces to the jungle, and forget about a second front.
Hey, Sensei, can we direct all our forces to the jungle for a minor combat bonus there? Probably not, huh.
Anyway, Radar may not prove a massive advantage this turn, but any advantage is worth having, especially at sea.
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 11, 2017, 04:31:17 am »

I think it might push things over to us bitchslapping Cannala back to the tundra.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 11, 2017, 05:17:50 am »

We could try invading Myark again. Reconnaissance RestAndRecreation-in-force?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: May 11, 2017, 06:08:36 am »

Now I have a feeling that Glorious is not ambitious enough... Well we got a very good torpedo.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 11, 2017, 06:22:11 am »

Tundra Island (6): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, Andrea, NUKE9.13, Azzuro
Northern Jungle (6): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, Andrea, NUKE9.13, Azzuro
Send the radar out (5): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, NUKE9.13, Azzuro

Was there even an option to not deploy our radars? Both sides know the others' design from the very starting paragraphs of the turn, so I don't see what not deploying something would do for us.

Anyway I think consensus is pretty clear on what to do for the upcoming turn.

United Forenia Forever!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: May 11, 2017, 06:32:26 am »

Lets stop them getting Titanium shall we?

Tundra Island (7): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, Andrea, NUKE9.13, Azzuro, Khan Boyzitbig
Northern Jungle (7): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, Andrea, NUKE9.13, Azzuro, Khan Boyzitbig
Send the radar out (5): Powder Miner, Lightforger, GUNINANRUNIN, NUKE9.13, Azzuro
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 500