Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591640 times)

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #1170 on: May 10, 2017, 04:58:52 pm »

Quote from: Race Car
"FUN CCCAR" (1): RAM
"Glorious" (6): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Helmacon
"Veter" (5): Andrea, Piartejoe, Funk, Mulisa, stabbymcstabstab
UFC-RC-1939-S 'Valor': (1) Lightforger

I went back and changed the engine into a supercharged V-12. Superchargers cause the engine to burn more fuel but, not only give to much more horsepower and let planes fly at higher altitudes. The increased fuel use is more then corrected by just putting more fuel in the plane to the point which supercharger let plane fly further.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 10, 2017, 05:15:52 pm »

"Glorious" (7): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Helmacon, Hibou

I'm gonna err on the side of caution here. The "Glorious" doesn't do anything revolutionary, but it does incorporate a lot of small changes that gives a more broad benefit to future aviation designs.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1172 on: May 10, 2017, 05:38:37 pm »

"Glorious" (8): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Helmacon, Hibou, GUNINANRUNIN

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 10, 2017, 06:06:03 pm »

@Hibou yeah, it's a solid design that actually stands a chance for working and I'm surprised we produced something so reasonable.  I wish it was just a bit more ambitious to include a supercharger, but an improved aerodynamics understanding and an expense credit is fine too.

@Strongpoint I'll vote for the Glorious either way, but are you sure you don't want to include a supercharger?  The Stinger's V10 already includes a turbocharger...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:33:17 pm by evictedSaint »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 10, 2017, 06:59:32 pm »

Hey, could the next person to vote add my vote back to the Glorious?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: May 10, 2017, 07:10:25 pm »

You are all sane, the lot of you! I am disappoint...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: May 10, 2017, 07:38:02 pm »

I'd like to add my (first!) vote to the Veter.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: May 10, 2017, 07:51:29 pm »

There is a situation that had been brought to our attention in the embassy thread. I fear we may need to take action soon.

Also updating the vote box.
"Glorious" (8): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Hibou, GUNINANRUNIN, Wolfhunter,
"Veter" (7): Andrea, Piartejoe, Funk, Mulisa, stabbymcstabstab,NAV, Helmacon
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 10, 2017, 07:52:29 pm »

It looks like there's still a lot of debate, so I'll give a little bit to be sure everybody has seen the latest proposals and is final on their vote.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: May 10, 2017, 08:03:13 pm »

@Strongpoint I'll vote for the Glorious either way, but are you sure you don't want to include a supercharger?  The Stinger's V10 already includes a turbocharger...
Yep. I am sure. P-47 used turbocharged engines and it worked perfectly fine. Supercharger is not an upgrade over turbocharger it is just a different way of doing the same thing.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:20:53 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: May 10, 2017, 08:13:17 pm »

"Glorious" (9): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Hibou, GUNINANRUNIN, Wolfhunter, Lightforger

No trying to add a jet engine to our car. That's really unlike to work.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: May 10, 2017, 10:53:39 pm »

"Glorious" (10): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Hibou, GUNINANRUNIN, Wolfhunter, Lightforger, Powder Miner
I think that trying to take this big a step this early on is unlikely to provide excellent results.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: May 10, 2017, 11:04:59 pm »

UFC-RC-1939 'Glorious'
The first Florenian race car is  built around an upgraded version of V10 motor developed for the AS-HF-32b "Stinger" fighter. It uses no materials more exotic than alluminium and complex solutions like rocket boosters or pulse jet engine were denied in early stages of development. What makes the car special is it unusual shape that comes from extensive testing in a new wind tunnel constructed for the racing team. Glorious got a  triangle shaped wing on it s nose preventing the car's low and light frame from becoming an aircraft. Additionally it got an innovative device  called spoiler that disrupts air flow and reduces drag
(To clarify: this action tries to a) develop a competitive racing car, b)try to buff existing fighter engines c) get generic aerodynamics experience)

Yes, I know that I try to fit a spoiler on a race car 30 years before it happened IRL, but it is same as intermediate bullets for assault rifles. It is not hard to do, one just need to get this idea. It is tempting to go rockets, jet engines, new powerful supercharged engines, gas turbine but I think this form is way more practical

I miiiiight have let you get away with the motorjet. :P

Normal: 4
UFC-RC-1939 'Glorious':
The Forenian race car entry is built around the large, powerful HF-32 engine, a turbocharged V10. As an aircraft engine, it is simply huge for a car. Its weight and the fact that it's tuned to run close to maximum RPM all the time, as well as the choice of turbo for forced induction, mean that it is slow off the line despite giving lots of power when the car is up to speed. The car is built from aluminum, and the body is an unusual shape. Observation in a wind tunnel determined that the tops of the wheels were a source of a large amount of drag, so they are covered in cowls. The front of most cars is nearly flat, but this one comes down to a wedge with a front wing, to hold the front steering wheels down. This wedge shape actually created some lift as more air is moved towards the top, and this top air is moving faster, so a small tail is added sticking up from the rear of the body and "spoil" the air flow there.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: May 10, 2017, 11:26:03 pm »

And this is why you don't race with an aeroplane engine...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: May 10, 2017, 11:42:52 pm »

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b.
A magnetic detonator is installed to allow the dolphin to explode beneath enemy ships, hitting their delicate "spines".  The wet-heater motor is also upgraded to allow it to be dropped from further away and travel a longer range.  Wooden breakaway fins let it be dropped more accurately.

Hard: 6
TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b:
The revised Dolphin torpedo has the same body and warhead, but the gyro and engine have been re-worked, plus 'breakaway' wooden fins have been added. The final torpedo is tolerant of being dropped at very high speed and hundreds of meters of altitude. The biggest innovation is the magnetic detonator, which allows to torpedo to go off well below the waterline of ships it targets without passing straight under or bouncing off.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 500