Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591648 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #1140 on: May 10, 2017, 01:31:48 pm »

Well, if the gloriousis fitted with a V12, I'll vote for it.
Can you explain why you prefer V12?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: May 10, 2017, 01:43:16 pm »

My reason is very Arstozkan; More power = Better.
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 10, 2017, 01:51:38 pm »

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (8) evictedSaint, Stabby, Helmacon, Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Baffler, Piratejoe, Happerry
UFN-TPD-1938-S 'Lamprey': (1) GUNINANRUNIN
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: May 10, 2017, 02:35:06 pm »

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (9) evictedSaint, Stabby, Helmacon, Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Baffler, Piratejoe, Happerry, Madman198237
UFN-TPD-1938-S 'Lamprey': (1) GUNINANRUNIN

I'm not going to vote for a racecar here. I think we ought to try and win, at least a little bit, because if we tossed an expense credit at, say, a larger carrier sometime in the future, or a really powerful tank/infantry piece of equipment, we might conceivably change the war.

But really, we all know that getting ourselves the ability to make better stuff is the reason we're working here. Perhaps developing a racecar, instead of the proposed, with a really high-power engine (Land based, not aircraft) would help. As in, ludicrously powerful, capable of being fitted into present/soon-to-be-developed heavy vehicles. Think something like our own version of a King Tiger tank. Preferably with more reliability. Heck, even an amphibious APC like their Raider would benefit from super-powerful engines.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: May 10, 2017, 02:55:20 pm »

I think we ought to try and win, at least a little bit, because if we tossed an expense credit at, say, a larger carrier sometime in the future, or a really powerful tank/infantry piece of equipment, we might conceivably change the war.
Worth noting is that, unlike in Wands Race, an expense credit does not permanently lower the cost of an item. So it has only a very temporary effect.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: May 10, 2017, 02:56:53 pm »

Yeah, but can you imagine going from half a dozen Enterprise-sized carriers to about 20? Even if they were only serviceable for three months, you'd still get a MASSIVE advantage!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 10, 2017, 03:03:14 pm »

Well, we don't really need to carpet the sea in carriers. Now, the air in heavy bombers though, that's another thing, and something we should definitely do :D
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 10, 2017, 03:04:27 pm »

Yes, because if you've carpeted the sea in carriers, then you've got no way to lose. And you've got a CRAP TON of aircraft flooding the skies.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 10, 2017, 03:16:24 pm »

The heavy diesel engine in a tank is different than the high-octane fuel engine of a racecar which is different than the massive altitude-specific engine in an airplane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: May 10, 2017, 03:39:17 pm »

We should focus on building a really good engine that we can then borrow from.  An upgraded V12 would be worth a design all on its own if it's anything like the V12 Rolls-Royce Griffon.
Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp
BMW 801
My problem with the V-engine is cooling. The Griffon has a pressurised cooling system, one leak to those exposed pipes and you have yourself a mission-kill. The double-wasp was known to keep going after almost anything... The griffon has more power, but we could add more cylinder bands, increase the fuel-injection, and add some liquid cooling to get a high-performance model if we wanted. Finally, the Griffon is in imperial measurements, which makes it a loser.

The wind tunnel for aerodynamic testing is a great idea, should be kept.
Not sure if it is best to upgrade existing engine, which may apply to existing designs, or design a new one/add tech
An aircraft engine gets towards ten times the displacement of a car engine. It is difficult to fit an aircraft engine onto a motorvehicle, and getting the agility to turn a corner or something is very much worse with all of that weight. An aircraft engine almost certainly won't win the race unless it has somethign absurd like jet-assisted turning or something(could we redirect the exhaust based upon the steering?). I would definitely go with new technology because we don't need this to work first time and we will need to make adjustments to go from car to aircraft anyway.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 10, 2017, 03:53:51 pm »

AS-RC-1939-R 'Veter'

A race car built by Arstozkan aviation and motorsport enthusiasts as well as some government engineers when they had time to spare. The Veter is as much a race car as it is a testbed for technology. It is powered by a hybrid "motorjet system" where the car is powered by a normal V10 piston engine from an AS-HF-32b "Stinger" fighter. This engine however not only powers the car's wheels, but also a compressor which injects compressed air into a combustion chamber at the back of the vehicle where it is mixed with aiviation fuel and ignited, providing the vehicle with more thrust than the piston engine alone could manage. The Arstozkans call this a "Motorized Air-Breathing rocket". The car also has some aerodynamic features; Mainly small wing like structures that are somewhat similar to full blown aeroplane wings but inverted to keep the vehicle on the ground.

Essentially, this race car runs on a motorjet; A hybrid piston engine-early jet engine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:57:05 pm by Mulisa »
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 10, 2017, 04:00:33 pm »

AS-RC-1939-R 'Veter'
I approve of this car, this car ist gud.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 10, 2017, 04:04:37 pm »

Quote from: Race Car
"FUN CCCAR" (2): RAM, NUKE9.13
"Glorious" (4): Strongpoint, Azzuro, evictedSaint, Baffler
Veter (2): Andrea, Piartejoe

added votes to Veter

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 10, 2017, 04:07:54 pm »

We will undoubtably be punished for overreaching.  Trying to sneak our way into a jet engine will absolutely fail - we wont get the prelude to the jet engine, we wont produce a working car, and we wont get the expense credit. : (
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 500