Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591792 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #1095 on: May 09, 2017, 11:08:01 pm »

The multiple receivers are consolidated into one, combined with the transmitter. This does remove the altitude-finding capability, however.
Having only one receiving antennae doesn't make it impossible to figure out something's altitude. The radar knows the angle to the ground by bouncing radiation off the ground (unless you're already on the ground of course), and it knows the distance to the target by bouncing radiation off the target. Sin = opposite/hypotenuse.

http://www.radartutorial.eu/01.basics/Calculation%20of%20height.en.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:10:17 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1938 (Pre-Game)
« Reply #1096 on: May 09, 2017, 11:39:10 pm »

...here are my suggestions for a destroyer/radar:

Alternately:

EDIT: Also, a reminder that all these designs (and more) are available in our secret design files (non-public google doc). The link is available in the Discord (look in the pinned messages in our channel), or you can get it by sending me a PM.
We're just being a bit paranoid. You can trust pirates, right?

I see you guys chose version 2 of the radar plan. Saying your radar is "smaller" when you haven't got an existing one is more of a goal than an actual design plan, so I'll just assume you're aiming to make a radar, and make it as small as possible, if possible.

Very Hard: 1, 3
Radar Defense Network RDN 'DEATH RAY':
[Expensive] Forenian engineers were getting nowhere until some students from the American exchange program helped cause a breakthrough. Rather than using radio waves to cause aircraft to melt or catch fire, they could be used to detect them! An individual Death Ray tower uses multiple high-frequency radio broadcast antennae at once to generate a narrow line of peak constructive interference, a concept which Forenians don't really understand but they know it seems to work. For more than 100km, this line has enough amplitude to reflect back and be detected by a receiver antenna. The whole system just looks like three radio masts. An individual Death Ray operator only knows if there is an object in his 'view', but not how high or far it is. When a station spots something, the operator radios back to command. Command has a map of the lines formed by Death Ray stations, and seeing which ones "light up" at a given time can provide a coarse estimate of enemy aircraft positions. Currently only available as a building on land, preferably on a coast or mountainside; it cannot have any terrain obstructions in its "sight". [Complex]
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #1097 on: May 09, 2017, 11:48:34 pm »

Thank God for Americans, amirite?

I'm torn.

On one hand, I hate putting out tech that we could easily improve on and doesn't quite fulfill its intended purpose.

On the other hand, our lack of a decent torpedo is really hurting us and we've put it off for several turns now.  Might be worth it...

ALTERNATIVELY, we could go with the psuedo AC-130 close air support 'Devastating Effect' to give our boots on the ground some help.  It's just mounting a gun on an existing piece of hardware.

After some thought, the RADAR does what it needs to.  It defensively alerts us to incoming fighters.  We can burn a revision or design on it later to get it ship-mounted or include triangulation.

We've suffered for like, five turns without a decent torp.

My vote is for the

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b.
A magnetic detanator is installed to allow the dolphin to explode beneath enemy ships, hitting their delicate "spines".  The wet-heater motor is also upgraded to allow it to be dropped from further away and travel a longer range.  Wooden breakaway fins let it be dropped more accurately.

Quote from: Votes
TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (1) evictedSaint
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:09:37 am by evictedSaint »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 10, 2017, 12:09:05 am »

It actually kind hurts not to fix the RADAR, but seeing as It'll work well enough for now.

Quote from: votes
TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (2) evictedSaint, Stabby
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 10, 2017, 12:10:12 am »

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b.
A magnetic detonator is installed to allow the dolphin to explode beneath enemy ships, hitting their delicate "spines".  The wet-heater motor is also upgraded to allow it to be dropped from further away and travel a longer range.  Wooden breakaway fins let it be dropped more accurately.

Reposting this so we have a clean comment to link too.

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (2) evictedSaint, Stabby

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 10, 2017, 12:11:27 am »

Alright here is my bad idea about the radar. We keep it a secret and come up with some other design that rolled a 1 and can't be used. Then next turn we do it right and regain any lost ground. We aren't at real risk any where can can eat a turns worth of defeats without any overall severe issues. For our revisions lets finally get a good torpedo.

UFN-TPD-1939-S 'Lamprey'
A overhaul of our current dolphin torpedo the lamprey is heavier and packs a notably larger payload, greater range and wooden break away fins. It's main feature however is a magnetic detonator which rather then once active it's close enough it cleverly waits until it starts to move away from the target. This is done by a very simple computer in the nose which detect magnetic activity and its set to detonate the torpedo once it a: reaches a certain threshold and b: starts to have the amount go down. This means our torpedo have solid chance of going off directly below an enemy vessel for massive damage.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 10, 2017, 12:14:48 am »

It actually kind hurts not to fix the RADAR, but seeing as It'll work well enough for now.

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (3) evictedSaint, Stabby, Helmacon
That was rough even with the research credit. Still, torpedo revision. Next turn, apc design, radar revision?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 10, 2017, 12:17:01 am »

My vote (barring shenanigans or things we need to immediately fix) is to redesign better radar, or at least revise it.  It will be a very powerful tool if we can get a better version.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 10, 2017, 12:20:01 am »

No, we can't afford to let go of the radar, because even as is it will be vitally useful this turn!
See, they've captured the tundra island. This means that they'll be probably pushing either the plains island or the mountainous island next turn, and those are the two locations where having the radar to see their stuff coming will be especially useful -- the Death Ray works well on coasts and mountains! We may be able to keep them from getting a new foothold if we combine the radar and the new torp!
TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (4) evictedSaint, Stabby, Helmacon, Powder Miner

We NEED to build or revise SOMETHING on our armor next turn, but radar work would be good

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1104 on: May 10, 2017, 12:58:17 am »

I'm voting Lamprey since it does the same and has more boom.

TPD 'DOLPHIN' 38b: (4) evictedSaint, Stabby, Helmacon, Powder Miner
UFN-TPD-1938-S 'Lamprey': (1) GUNINANRUNIN

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 10, 2017, 01:25:27 am »

An heavier torpedo can't be launched by our dive bombers.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 10, 2017, 01:26:27 am »

An heavier torpedo can't be launched by our dive bombers.

Where does it mention that?

United Forenia Forever!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 10, 2017, 01:27:32 am »

Our dive bombers can carry 500 kg of payload and our torpedoes were designed 500 kg to fit on them

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 10, 2017, 01:47:17 am »

Revision:  UF-GU-Red Tiger: An armored uniform upgrade using the manganese steel plating popular in the Tiger Armor to reinforce the standard Arstotzkan uniform.  By balancing weight around the body the head, chest, legs and arms can be covered with armor.  The plating can be removed in cases where mobility is paramount, but the overall design comes in at less then 20 pounds by providing almost no coverage to joints, hands, feet and the front of the face.  Camouflage and pockets are still a feature.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 10, 2017, 03:02:54 am »

I did not see the car design, I apologise if I missed it and it is over with.

Racecar Design:
FUN-C.C.C.Car-39-a/b "Commoner's Car: Component Catastrophe"

Summary[modular design, jet/air-cooled 14cylinder turbocharged fueld-injected radial engine, layered tires, 5-stage rocket-pod]

Three design goals were made for this project.
1: Create a vehicle that can be integrated into Foreignian society.
2: Create a breakthrough in high-powered engineering technology that could further our military prospects.
3: Win the race.
It has come to our attention that "Finish the race" was given very little consideration...

The design committee addressed the first point by realising that the other two points were completly incompatible. They were, we are assured, executed for behaviour unfitting our glorious nation shortly afterwards, but the damage was done and a proposal already existed to conform to a design doctrine of interchangeability, so that the vehicle could easily be retrofitted towards lower specifications. This theory of Unstable to Naked Conversion Engineering(U.N.C.E.) did slip into the final design and will thoeretically allow the design to be easily retrofitted with an engine of greatly reduced power, a simpler power-transmission-block, greater cargo capacity, and potentially two side-cars. But for now the design simply has its current composition and an alternate of coverings to obscure the absence of such components.

The second point was addressed by designing a new engine, hoped to meet aerial extreme specifications and proportionally surpass anything currently available in our fleet, along with the transmission to handle it. A staged rocket-booster to provide multiple bursts of acceleration, mounted in an attachment-point on the rear, a twin 16mm autocannon turret mounted to the left and a 160mm heavy cannon mounted to the right. The latter two elements were sadly scrapped when it was discovered that armed vehicles would be immediately and permanently diqualified, though the side-wards mounting-points remained.

The third objective mostly involved cancelling all armaments that we thought wouldn't be noticed, as, ultimately, they would be unable to disable sufficient competition to make up for the additional weight.

The end result is a single-seat vehicle with a heavy-duty drive-shaft running between the driver's legs to a force-translation-joint behind the transmission. A raised force-conversion unit that consists of a high-specification gear-box on a crank-raised platform to move it into position to meet the connections. A similar force-generatin unit containing a 14-cylinder twin-radial turbocharged, fuel-injected engine. Air-cooled by an intake-shaft containing multiple extremely high-speed propellors. We are assured that they need to slow down very quickly and remain at such speeds for at least 20 seconds for the lack of cooling-power to result in the engine exploding, well in excess of our predicted requirements! The force-translation-joints are fairly typical enlarged sections of drive-shaft with deep grooves to attach into one another and securing pins to prevent slippage. The fuel-tanks sit behind the driver leadng to long fuel-lines for which we hope someone has been put on a watch-list. At the far-rear of the vehicle is a tube with internal attachment points and control surfaces that could function as a very secure attachment point for a cargo unit, trailer, or any number of civilian rockets purposes, we placed a rocket in there. a nice little manually-incremented 5-stage number for overtaking. the rear tires have a double-layer feature whereby the outer layer can burst and still leave a functional tire behind, while spraying burned tire over whoever is behind you!

I feel as though something is missing. If anyone wants to reproduce this proposal with embellishments, feel free to do so.
I feel that a modular approach to design would have costs, but would overally allow multiple designs to be updated simultaneously and allow existing designs to be revised to a greater degree, provided that they use existing technology, and allow focus to be placed on difficult designs due to the ease of implementing said new technology. for example, if you have the same gun-module for your fighters, A.P.C.s, torpedo boats, and bomber turrets, then making a new module would apply to all of them. Converting a modular bomber into a torpedo-deployer would be simplified by converting the lower-geared engines, larger wings, and torpedo deployers into familiar module technology and swapping them out with little fuss. And if you are already geared to add a different gun into your gun module, then you can focus on building your new gun without having to worry so much about making the control surfaces match and you don't need to design a whole plane to get the new gun into the field. Just something to think about that I like, but obviously a modular design would lose some efficiency by having its components be less closely integrated...

I already wanted an engine with two-sets of seven cylinders, but worried that it would be impractical, then I found out that it was pretty much exactly what was used on the F.W.-190 and was never heard from again...

Air-cooling iis probably impractical, but it makes for a more resilient engine. Better to have something that can avodid being hit than something that can survive being hit, but, ehh, I like the stories of the p-47... Oh, wow, the P-47 also used an even-numbered radial engine *dies*.

I am sneaking in a little jet-engine looky-look in the cooling... Just a microscoping multiple propellor dealy but it could be a foot, or maybe a fragment of toe-nail, into the door...

Note also that a car-engine will not fly a plane. It is probably, like, 6-litres or something tiny like that, it is off by an order of magnitude.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:43:31 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 500