Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592181 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1938 (Battle Phase)
« Reply #255 on: May 02, 2017, 03:14:31 pm »

Eh, throw in a catapult or two (or five) for fighter planes or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 02, 2017, 03:15:30 pm »

How about we not use carriers then? I mean, we have landmasses close enough...
We don't know the distance between the islands well enough to prove or disprove this claim yet.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 02, 2017, 03:18:47 pm »

Having the empty weight of pontoons, regardless of being retractable, hurts an aircrafts performance.  You cannot design a purely water-based aircraft - much less a water/land based aircraft - that will ever be superior to a landbased aircraft.  Carriers project that power at sea, and if they do it correctly then we make their battleships and cruisers obsolete.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 02, 2017, 03:23:06 pm »

If we want to be completely ridiculous we could try dropping inflatable rafts from bombers and using those as short "airstrips" until the enemy can be bothered to come and destroy them or they drift off to who knows where and our pilots can't find them anymore. It wouldn't work, but it would probably be pretty funny.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2017, 03:39:35 pm »

If we want to be completely ridiculous we could try dropping inflatable rafts from bombers and using those as short "airstrips" until the enemy can be bothered to come and destroy them or they drift off to who knows where and our pilots can't find them anymore. It wouldn't work, but it would probably be pretty funny.

I'd laugh if we tried to do this and rolled a 6, allowing for us to actually pull it off.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2017, 05:43:35 pm »

I'd recommend carriers. ASAP. WWII was the proof---unless you can design modern attack submarines in about two years, carriers are the way to go. Big guns are very cool, but you can't kill planes (Except for splash barrages) with them.

First, get the aircraft. Carrier-based aircraft, without exception, can land on regular airstrips. So, make your best plane carrier-capable, then work out a carrier.

DIVE BOMBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Deadliest type of bombing. Get a proper AP bomb, then fix it to a really good plane. Forget everything else. If you try to high-level bomb at sea I'm never coming back to this thread.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2017, 06:21:59 pm »

I would just like to point out that we can use our experience with the ARAC to perhaps join two aircraft carriers together and allow heavier planes to fly off the longer runway.

Also dive bombing, while effective at disabling ships, was far far inferior to torpedo bombing at actually sinking them and inflicting economic damage. There's a picture in Shattered Sword of a Japanese carrier with the entire goddamn front decks caved in, and still afloat.

United Forenia Forever!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #262 on: May 02, 2017, 06:26:00 pm »

When it comes to anti-ship aircraft, having a mixture of dive and torpedo bombers appears the best tactic to me. Torpedo bombers have to attack at low altitude, and dive bombers can spend most of their attack flying at a high altitude. If you attack a ship with both types of aircraft at the same time, its forced to divide its anti-air firepower between two groups of targets, and once enemy fighter cover engages one group it would likely be unable to deal with another.

It's difficult to make a choice until we know more about the distances between the islands. If its possible to leapfrog our smallest aircraft from one island to another, we could afford to forgo carriers. Otherwise, a carrier is going to be 100% necessary in order to fight effectively on the ocean.

Honestly I think Forenia would be at too big of a disadvantage if the islands were too far apart to fly fighters between them. We have no navy, and therefore invasion would be impossible since we would have no way to land troops. And even if our planes could cover an invasion fleet, it would still be extremely difficult to support a landing without ship-based artillery.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:29:09 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 02, 2017, 07:08:51 pm »

We do have paratroopers, and we can drop them with mortars and heavy equipment. We might be able to Operation Mercury it if we're very very lucky, at least to clear a beachhead.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:10:32 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 02, 2017, 07:15:58 pm »

Is there a discord channel for both Forenia and Turbados to post in?  Either OOC or in character?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 02, 2017, 07:16:48 pm »

The above is exactly why Midway turned into a Japanese disaster. However, torpedo bombers are highly ineffective because they get killed really, REALLY badly. Unless you can produce an absurdly tough torpedo bomber that can tank the full assault of triple A AND any fighter cover the enemy can throw together you will face 95%+ losses. The Americans did. Their dive bombers were the real force in carrier-on-carrier engagements.

Really, though, just make sure your fighters are plentiful enough to draw off AAA fire.

I don't think that paratroopers are such a good idea on islands. Kind of obvious, and hard to sneak in.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 02, 2017, 07:17:27 pm »

@evictedsaint: general_ooc in the arms race discord.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2017, 09:17:15 pm »

I don't think that paratroopers are such a good idea on islands. Kind of obvious, and hard to sneak in.
I don't see how paras are less stealthy if they're being dropped on an island, as opposed to a continent? The main way you know paras are around is because there are some super loud bombers delivering them, and secondarily because they're causing trouble and eventually the word gets around. Being dropped on an island doesn't really change either of those things.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 02, 2017, 09:20:37 pm »

The problem is that they go in REALLY CLOSE to the guys they want to kill. There's no DZ a ways away from the objective, you gotta drop ON the objective. Also, islands are notorious for having more trees then clear space, or similar issues. Not to mention higher winds in oceanic areas.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 02, 2017, 09:33:40 pm »

We could have zeppelin aircraft carriers, Zeppelin cargo/troop transports, zeppelin artillery mounted warships.

Why would we even need to touch the ocean.

Great ideas guys keep it up!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 500