Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591243 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1945 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #7035 on: July 25, 2018, 12:06:36 pm »

PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (2): Powder Miner, voidslayer
UF-MCV-45 "Flails of Doom!" (2): Kashhyk, NAV
UF-ARM-45 'Wild Weasel' (0):
UF-ALARM-45 (0):
UF-GARM-45 "Garm" (4): Kot, NUKE9.13, Parsely, Madman
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: July 25, 2018, 12:09:43 pm »

PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (3): Powder Miner, voidslayer, Happerry
UF-ALARM-45 (0):
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: July 25, 2018, 12:14:36 pm »

PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (3): Powder Miner, voidslayer, eS
UF-MCV-45 "Flails of Doom!" (1): Kashhyk
UF-ALARM-45 (0):

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: July 25, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »

Lul eS not only did you delete votes but you managed to delete one on your own design.
PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (4): Powder Miner, voidslayer, Happerry, eS
UF-ALARM-45 (0):

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: July 25, 2018, 12:22:31 pm »

PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (5): Powder Miner, voidslayer, Happerry, eS, Cnidaros
UF-ALARM-45 (0):

Is it realistic to revise the Sewing Machine into some kind of CIWS for protecting our ships from Cannalan ASM? Like, now that we have the decomplexed radar, if we used a revision to fix the crappy turning of the turret and improved its radar gunlaying, would it be plausible for it to shoot down Stingray ASMs with moderate effectiveness?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: July 25, 2018, 12:30:50 pm »

Doubtful. Modern CIWS uses radar, computer fire-control, and 20mm Vulcan miniguns to shoot down missiles, and it's not 100% effective.

Come on guys, you have no idea how powerful an ARM can be. We can force every single Cannalan radar to shut down when our aircraft get close. Their operators will be terrified of an ARM homing in on their own radar beam and blowing them to pieces.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: July 25, 2018, 02:56:40 pm »

GARM: Are there targets our missiles are missing?  Are they defeating our missile guidance yet?  I feel like doubling down on RADAR guidance would just encourage them to make a better ECM than they would have.  If they put a RADAR SAM out, this would be nice.  Which they probably will this turn or next.  But we still don't have a cheap missile plane to SEAD with.  Not a bad idea but...

PAROI propellant upgrade: As apparently the hivemind is now obsessed with high profile VE weapon systems, this is probably the closest we'll get to an RPG revision.  Might be alittle too broad and abstract for GM calculus (almost like a munitions QoL), but I'll take what I can get.

PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (6): Powder Miner, voidslayer, Happerry, eS, Cnidaros, ConscriptFive
UF-ALARM-45 (0):

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: July 25, 2018, 03:12:51 pm »

The Haast can do SEAD just fine---low altitude flight profile and adequate payload, plus the fact that if you're doing SEAD the enemy is more scared of you than you are of them. VVF-Qs can do it too, I imagine. It doesn't require any low-speed maneuvers (in fact faster is better).

Even if they DO double down on ECM, having an ARM would force them to deploy countermeasures in our radar spectrum AND their own, blinding them just as much as they blind us.

EDIT: And concerning RPGs: I prefer the modern method, where you don't fight tanks unless you're in a tank or a plane.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: July 25, 2018, 03:32:38 pm »

PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (6): Powder Miner, voidslayer, Happerry, eS, Cnidaros, ConscriptFive
UF-ALARM-45 (0):
UF-GARM-45 "Garm" (5): Kot, NUKE9.13, Parsely, Madman, Zanzetkuken
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: July 25, 2018, 03:49:07 pm »

UF-MCV-45 "Flails of Doom!" (3): Kashhyk, NAV, Qassius
UF-ALARM-45 (0):
UF-GARM-45 "Garm" (5): Kot, NUKE9.13, Parsely, Madman, Zanzetkuken

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7045 on: July 25, 2018, 03:57:55 pm »

GARM: Are there targets our missiles are missing?  Are they defeating our missile guidance yet?  I feel like doubling down on RADAR guidance would just encourage them to make a better ECM than they would have.  If they put a RADAR SAM out, this would be nice.  Which they probably will this turn or next.  But we still don't have a cheap missile plane to SEAD with.  Not a bad idea but...
What? What does SEAD have to do with missing targets and countermeasures? It exists to disable enemy radar - considering how many fucking actions we put into getting cheap radar, you'd consider that them not having radar would be a huge bonus for us.

EDIT: And concerning RPGs: I prefer the modern method, where you don't fight tanks unless you're in a tank or a plane.
Except no, the modern method is ATGMs. We could get those in a design, but not a revision, I guess. Why not forget this nuke bullshit all together, the game is fun as it is, winning conventionally would be funnier. :I
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: July 25, 2018, 04:21:52 pm »

UF-ALARM-45 (0):
UF-GARM-45 "Garm" (6): Kot, NUKE9.13, Parsely, Madman, Zanzetkuken, Wizgrot

The bomber already does a fine job of getting the Saltseekers where we need them. Better make them antiradr, especially so because Cannalans are a bunch of copycats that are now very possibly develop thei own SAMs because they know shit about creativity.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: July 25, 2018, 04:30:17 pm »

A note on the general rocket propellant revision:

First, I'll probably stick to saying it's some non-specific propellant so I can't provably be wrong about how fast I say some missile of a given weight is. ;) That said, it's not inconceivable that a variety of your existing rockets could be improved by a new propellant.

Second, there's a couple designs in there that might have issues. For instance, the Saltseeker only uses the rockets for its initial launch and turbine engine thereafter, so improving the propellant might have a negligible effect. The Noose uses a two-stage booster, the first solid stage of which is probably pretty close to your current state-of-the-art and the second liquid stage might be more efficient left as it is. Some other ones, like the Sarukh, might suffer in terms of accuracy from just having a more-powerful propellant crammed in.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: July 25, 2018, 05:20:16 pm »

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: July 25, 2018, 06:08:13 pm »

PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (5): Powder Miner, voidslayer, Happerry, eS, ConscriptFive
UF-ALARM-45 (0):
UF-GARM-45 "Garm" (7): Kot, NUKE9.13, Parsely, Madman, Zanzetkuken, Wizgrot, Cnidaros

Yeah, the Saltseeker/Noose were about 70% of the reason I wanted the rockets improvement. Soooooo...
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 500