Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591278 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1945 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #7020 on: July 24, 2018, 07:27:58 pm »

I wonder what we'd have to do to just make the Saltseeker outrange the Cannalan missile, which basically uses a rocket engine. It is technically a ramjet but it has an ISP at that flight envelope of 600 seconds, which is on par with liquid rocket fuel---also known as "not good at all for long-distance flights".

I also have an alternative which, besides being generally advantageous, preemptively ruins any Cannalan SAM sites:

UF-ARM-45 'Wild Weasel'
What happens when you place a radar receiver/tracking system without the actual radar emitting system (like that on the Saltseeker, but can only receive radar waves emitted by something else) into a slightly-enlarged Piracy Warning missile that has a 10km range? You get an Anti-Radiation Missile capable of shutting down Cannalan radar systems from a distance, and also terrifying every single Cannalan radar-set operator, ever. Oh, and because you can never have enough explosives we also applied the same simplified enemy-radar-tracking system to a Saltseeker version (With no other changes), so you can deal with anything that has REALLY bothered you.

Does anyone know enough about radar to conclude whether or not we can actually track Cannalan radio waves right now?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: July 24, 2018, 09:40:39 pm »

Quote from: Revision
Rocketry Revision

Rather than relying on cordite propellants for our rockets, we instead use ammonium perchlorate composite propellant.  Essentially a fuel and oxidizer mixed into a rubbery binder, the new APCP is swapped into our existing rockets to allow for longer-burning and higher-thrust capabilities.  Notably, this should improve the speed and range of our existing rocket systems.

Additionally, hydrozine is mixed into the liquid fuel components of the Noose and Saltseeker in order to increase fuel stability.

APCP is to be swapped into the following equipment:
-Saltseeker
-Noose
-Piracy Warning
-Artemis
-Rocket-Boosted Artillery Shells
-AS-RPG28 A
I quite like this idea. PAROI.
It needs to include the Sarukh since its still used as our lightest artillery in the mountains.
It should include The Death Ball, just for its meme potential.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: July 24, 2018, 10:48:25 pm »

I quite like this idea. PAROI.
It needs to include the Sarukh since its still used as our lightest artillery in the mountains.

Done and done and done.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: July 24, 2018, 11:39:10 pm »

If it turns out to be effective, maybe we can use them to clear some minefields.  Not like they won't be able to take some hits, after all.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7024 on: July 25, 2018, 12:01:48 am »

Quote from: UF-ALARM-45
"Artemis Launched Anti-Radiation Missile" is an Artemis rocket fitted with some steering fins and a guidance package that is essentially half of regular radar guidace - it only has a passive aspect, where it guides onto sources of radio emission, primarily enemy (hopefully we have different signatures) radar and their radio communications. The idea is that it will either take out enemy radar or cause the enemy to keep it turned off, in fear of getting struck by one of those missiles. The missile can be fired in barrages from Artemis launchers, letting us to cover a wide area and also ensue that regular Artemis launches will cause Cannalans to turn off their radar, or could be adapted for air launch from planes like VVF or Iceberg.

I actually didin't notice Madman's thing before I started writing, lol. I guess it's different enough, though.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: July 25, 2018, 02:53:38 am »

Quote from: Revision
PAROI Rocket Development Initiative

The PAROI Party - although one of the largest and fastest-growing political factions in Forenia - has had little notoriety in the military sector.  Despite their involvement in the development of the Saltseeker and Artemis, any mention of them has been curiously left off the designs.  The PAROI Rocket Development Initiative firmly cements their involvement in military and political matters by updating the rocket fuels used in Forenia's rocket-based weapons with the PAROI's own rocket research and development.

Rather than relying on cordite propellants for our rockets, we instead use ammonium perchlorate composite propellant.  Essentially a fuel and oxidizer mixed into a rubbery binder, the new APCP is swapped into our existing rockets to allow for longer-burning and higher-thrust capabilities.  Notably, this should improve the speed and range of our existing rocket systems.

Additionally, our existing hydrozine is mixed into the liquid fuel components of the Noose and Saltseeker in order to increase fuel stability and thrust.

APCP is to be swapped into the following equipment:
-Saltseeker
-Noose
-Piracy Warning
-Artemis
-Rocket-Boosted Artillery Shells
-AS-RPG28 A
-Sarukh
-Deathball (if time permits)

This seems like a fine initiative. I was thinking we could put a rocket in place of 14 tons of the bomb bay for the Iceberg then activate it while at it's maximum height to push the whole thing above the atmosphere, allowing it to drop 2 tons of bombs at extreme distances.

But a new rocket fuel sounds much better then a suborbital space bomber conversion.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: July 25, 2018, 07:08:51 am »

Totally unbiased note about Kot's proposal: We don't know that we can fit a guidance system in an Artemis rocket system. The Artemis is substantially smaller than any of our guided missiles.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: July 25, 2018, 08:04:34 am »

Sensei has said that landmines actually pay a huge role for as little as they are talked about. An efficient means of mine sweeping would be very good moving into the plains, and probably fairly easy to make.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: July 25, 2018, 08:10:39 am »

When the votebox goes up (I have to go to work for now) I’m definitely going to push for the rocketry upgrade — most of the shit in the upgrade would be kind of nice, but the genuinely *important* things it does are give our RPGs less shittiness and, since we just built the Icebergs to leverage our ASMs, make those ASMs further able to do so and additionally worth doing so so we can actually full-on flip the advantage back and successfully hop islands.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7029 on: July 25, 2018, 09:51:06 am »

I think an ARM guidance package is pretty important to counter Cannalan SAMs. Considering that we have a plane that's somewhat perfect for SEAD missions we can probably render Cannalans unable to  use their radars, and, considering they put that everywhere, it will probably be useful if Cannalans make any counter-measures to the SAMs or ASMs, as they also use radar in ships and planes. Though I'm unsure about how accurate ARM could be for a SAM guidance, I think it's something that could be tried, so Cannalans either have the choice of being pretty much blind or pretty much dead in air, sea and on land. ARM missile could even probably guide onto those fucking target painting things they use for their ATGMs and apparently tried for their ASMs, resulting in pretty hilarious prospect of Cannalan soldiers trying to aim one on us and instead get hit by our missile. I'd of course want a better name than Madman's proposal, and I pretty much agree Artemis Launched Anti-Radiation Missile might be a very long shot, I just made it because it fit the name, lol.

Also, it will really play into our newly created tradition of punishing Cannalans for their technology, just like the Garlic.

Quote from: UF-GARM-45 "Garm"
"General Anti-Radiation Missile" is a guidance package that can be applied to missiles such as "Saltseeker", "Noose" and "Piracy Warning". It's essentially half of radar guidance, since it only contains passive detection systems. It uses those to home onto Cannalan radar frequencies (hopefully different than ours, possibly also have it changeable in case they try to revise their radar) or possibly even radio frequencies in attempt to destroy them, or at least force enemy to turn off their radar, which will significantly lower their combat capabilities. The missile is intended to be air-launched, though it might as well be launched from the ground or ships.

Onion because, I dunno, tears, and because we had Garlic... something something layers.
Garm was a dog in Scandinavian mythology which barks would break the chains of Loki and Fenris during Ragnarök. The connection is that their radar is named Viking, so by letting Garm loose we're breaking the chains on which are their radar, beginning the Ragnarök, which will end in Sutur - Deathball Mk3, fucking devastating Cannala. They wanted to play mythology, we will give them mythology.

Quote from: Kot Box
PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (0):
UF-MCV-45 "Flails of Doom!" (0):
UF-ARM-45 'Wild Weasel' (0):
UF-ALARM-45 (0):
UF-GARM-45 "Garm" (1): Kot
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:57:14 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: July 25, 2018, 11:20:45 am »

Long Live United Forenia!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7031 on: July 25, 2018, 11:27:56 am »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: July 25, 2018, 11:38:32 am »

PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (1): Powder Miner
UF-MCV-45 "Flails of Doom!" (0):
UF-ALARM-45 (0):
UF-GARM-45 "Garm" (4): Kot, NUKE9.13, Parsely, Madman

Nobody ever likes my designs [sigh]

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: July 25, 2018, 11:57:33 am »

PAROI Rocket Development Initiative (2): Powder Miner, voidslayer
UF-MCV-45 "Flails of Doom!" (1): Kashhyk
UF-ALARM-45 (0):
UF-GARM-45 "Garm" (4): Kot, NUKE9.13, Parsely, Madman
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 500