Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591632 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6360 on: June 08, 2018, 10:02:21 pm »

Quote from: Naval Design
UFN-ASM-44 "Saltseeker"

Based on the Piracy Warning, the United Forenian Anti-Shipping Missile 1944 "Saltseeker" is a naval missile designed to seek and destroy enemy ships from a great distance away.

The Saltseeker is a 5 meter-long missile with short, stubby wings and turbojet engine.  A short solid-propellant rocket booster launches the missile before dropping off to engage the turbojet, giving the Saltseeker a near-instantaneous launch speed.  The sensor suite uses our Deadliest Ray cavity radar to gain signatures, and a small set of vacuum tubes filter the signatures by size (ship-sized targets) and distance (selecting the closest one only).  Another set of tubes guide the servos controlling the rear fins in order to point the missile towards the closest target, allowing it to home in.  Lastly, a proximity sensor in the belly of the missile (either borrowed from the Piracy Warning or using a radar altimeter, whichever is easiest) allows the missile to dictate its altitude over the ocean surface.  When within a set distance of its target (100 meters or so) the missile will descend in order to meet the target at sea level.

The Saltseeker is designed to be fired from an angle off the deck of a ship before leveling out in flight. A Saltseeker mount can take the place of a turret on a destroyer or cruiser, with a goal of two missiles per mounting.  The nose of the missile is designed to be hardened in order to allow it to punch through side armor before detonating, similar to an inertia-fuse artillery shell.  Range is expected to be approximately 40 kilometers in radius.

Current Relevant Technology:
-VVF's airborne Radar
-Numerous years of rocket designs (SARUKH, Artemis, Rocket-Boosted Artillery Shells, etc)
-Turbojet tech
-Stolen Piracy Warning
-Sensei please just cut us a break here
-Longshot Radar Guidance

A sea advantage will help take Vlanvlados, I think.  Or alternatively...

UFAF-UH-44 "Valkyrie"

Learning from Cannala's cumbersome and fairly-useless Twinblade, the United Forenian Air Force Utility Helicopter 1944 "Valkyrie" is our first helicopter.

Rather than using a tandem-rotor design, the Valkyrie has a single main rotor for lift and a smaller rotor on the tail for counter-rotation.  Unlike the Twinblade which was designed with direct combat operations in mind, the Valkyrie is primarily for transporting troops and equipment quickly to hard-to-reach locations.  Ideally, a Flight of the Valkyries will be able to deploy teams of soldiers into highly contested areas and allow withdrawals with the same amount of ease.

The Valkyrie features four-blade main and tail rotors, and is powered by two of our powerful turboshaft engines.  This allows the aircraft to carry a load of two metric tons in weight.  It features sliding side doors and a rappelling system for fast-drops, and a pair of mounts in the doors allows for an optional set of Sorraia MG's.  The Valkyrie can be launched and stored on a carrier such as the Wasp Nest, Zheleznogorod, or Sea Lift. 

A decently-designed helicopter would be good in the jungle, mountains, and for rapid deployment on areas like Vlanvlados (as our landing ships still suck).  I dunno, maybe if it doesn't use a retarded tandem-rotor design, it'll be useful?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:50:40 pm by evictedSaint »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: June 08, 2018, 10:16:52 pm »

For our first helicopter, we might want to downgrade the AC18 door guns to M3 Sorraias. A bit more manageable with the weight and it could fit more ammo in without sacrificing troop transport capability.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: June 08, 2018, 11:36:48 pm »

There are two issues with this design I can spot right away.
UFN-ASM-44 "Saltseeker"

Based on the Piracy Warning, the United Forenian Anti-Shipping Missile 1944 "Saltseeker" is a naval missile designed to seek and destroy enemy ships from a great distance away.

The Saltseeker is a 5 meter-long missile with short, stubby wings and turbojet engine.  A short solid-propellant rocket booster launches the missile before dropping off to engage the turbojet, giving the Saltseeker a near-instantaneous launch speed.  The sensor suite uses our Deadliest Ray cavity radar to gain signatures, and a small set of vacuum tubes filter the signatures by height (targetting surface vessels only) and distance (selecting the closest one only).  Another set of tubes guide the servos controlling the rear fins in order to point the missile towards the closest target, allowing it to home in.  Lastly, a proximity sensor in the belly of the missile (either borrowed from the Piracy Warning or using a radar altimeter, whichever is easiest) allows the missile to dictate its altitude over the ocean surface.  When within a set distance of its target (100 meters or so) the missile will dip in order to meet the target at sea level.

The Saltseeker is designed to be fired from an angle off the deck of a ship before leveling out in flight. A Saltseeker mount can take the place of a turret on a destroyer or cruiser, with a goal of two missiles per mounting.  The nose of the missile is designed to be hardened in order to allow it to punch through side armor before detonating, similar to an inertia-fuse artillery shell.  Range is expected to be approximately 40 kilometers in radius.
We don't have a way to easily filter by height. Your best option would be to use multiple sensors to compare the fairly flat ocean with the sector that has a ship trying to do it with one senor is likely beyond our ability.
Also we don't have anyway to figure out distance from a target unless they are all of the same size. Much like a proximity fuze the sensor would think small ships are further away and large ships close(proximity fuzes detonate further away from a bomber then a fighter.).
If we could make decent quality IR sensors we could us them for an ASM as the ocean is much cooler then a ships exhaust ports(but, that would have it's own issues.)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: June 08, 2018, 11:45:05 pm »

you're right, simply sweeping a narrow vertical arc is the better way to filter by height, rather than doing it with tubes.

As for distance, that's just how radar works, isn't it?  You send a signal out, measure the time to bounce back, and compute the distance that way.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: June 08, 2018, 11:55:07 pm »

I agree we need countermeasures, I disagree that fighter radar is a retrofit level change for the lightnings so I think thats a bad idea, but I also have come around to the idea that my idea of a new fighter with radar and all countermeasures is way harder than just countermeasures and is therefore also stupid.  Here is my proposal:

UF-APS-44 "Burning Tiger" - This system amounts to general countermeasures aimed at degrading cannalan smart munitions, including balefire thermal guidance, hypothetical radar guidance, and proximity fuses.  It provides electrostatic and radio fuse jammers based on the fair fight intended to reduce the effectiveness of cannalan fused flak, meant to be adequately small to be usable by ground elements against fused artillery, installed in the frightenings electronic warfare bay, or on bombers.  It amounts to an improved version of the fair fight module.  Our flare dispensor systems are to be expanded into a higher capacity grid ala this:

and the flare compound is to be improved into a pyrotechnic compound developed to more closely match our jet engines.  This system is meant for use on our aircraft to take the place of our existing, crappy flare launchers.  Additionally, chaff launcehrs are to be developed more or less along the lines of the flare launchers but of a lower capacity (since the things tend to be bulkier) for deployment onboard aircraft to degrade radar tracking and to distract hypothetical radar guided aspect seeking missiles.

e: Also this is a thing to consider:

Quote from: Votes
UF-GCS-44 "Shield Maiden" Pattern IV (1) - QuakeIV
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:33:57 am by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: June 08, 2018, 11:56:07 pm »

As for distance, that's just how radar works, isn't it?  You send a signal out, measure the time to bounce back, and compute the distance that way.

Proximity fuzes work off of signal strength and, by extension larger objects create a greater signal. Since the descent protocol would be all but guaranteed to be fixed it would lead to it starting early on large targets(there for hitting the ocean in front of them) and, too late for small targets(there for going over them). Your method would need some kind of memory system built into the missile which would be quite hard.

Edit: Brainfart I guess that could work although with how sensei explained the issues with the shield maiden I could see it having issues.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:42:31 am by Light forger »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: June 09, 2018, 01:12:32 am »

What are the issues?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: June 09, 2018, 01:19:52 am »

Nooo! We cannot let this stand! We must produce a new, modern design  of Tiger Armour to ensure our defence! For Moskurg!!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: June 09, 2018, 02:38:28 am »

Nooo! We cannot let this stand! We must produce a new, modern design  of Tiger Armour to ensure our defence! For Moskurg!!

I agree.

Tiger Armor V2

This sub orbital strategic space bomber uses high powered jet engines to fly a heavy rocket into the upper atmosphere then uses a rocket burn to achieve intercontinental distances through a sub orbital trajectory into space. It has a payload of 1 ton of bombs.

After burning it's considerable fuel mass and dropping it's bombs it then uses it's remaining jet fuel and a wide glider design to fly back to a friendly airstrip.

I think I might support the naval rocket though since it is a good step for a long range missile.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: June 09, 2018, 02:41:44 am »

I'll probably sit down and research up on the ASM's and clean up the Saltseeker, maybe tomorrow or so.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: June 09, 2018, 03:02:10 am »

Can we direct the Saltseeker remotely by radio and radar readings then let an automated system take over once it is close enough?

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: June 09, 2018, 08:38:49 am »

Want to challenge the jungle and the seas?  Here we go.  It's a little smaller than WW2 PT boat to enable jungle riverine ops.  Should put buccaneer boats out of business, and play very nice with our whalesong mines.

I like the Saltseeker, there's just no platform for it yet.  We'd have to design a new destroyer or cruiser to field it.  Even then, we'd still lack a small boat to picket and skirmish against their various small boats, making the launch platform vulnerable.

As for aerial countermeasures, it's not like Cannala has them either.  Even if we did pull it off, they still wouldn't fit in a lightning or Haast either without a total overhaul.  The best defense is a good offense: either get the Q revision right, build a comparable AA missile, or throw a RADAR up there.

UF-PTB-44 "Kurtz"

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving."

Too long have ancient Buccaneer boats been able to evade our destroyers.  Not only does Forenia lack blue water small boat, it's completely devoid of brown water riverine craft.  The versatile "Kurtz" fast attack boat is a solution to that problem.

At 20 meters in length, and a draft of just under a meter, the Kurtz is just large enough to be seagoing, yet runs shallow enough for riverine operations.  The lightly armored aluminum hulled-vessel is built for speed, using diesel electric engines to attain a max speed of over 40 knots on open water.

The Kurtz is armed with a twin Velociraptor turret in the bow for skirmishing with other small craft or providing limited base of fire for infantry.  Pintle-mounted Sorreia LMGs are also mounted on the starboard and portsides of the stern to help cover the bow turret's blindspot.  Two torpedo tubes allow the Kurtz to hunt larger ships and freight on open water.  Additional torpedoes are mounted on a rack on the stern deck.  A RADAR and conventional searchlights are mounted in the bridge.

The stern torpedo rack itself, can be easily removed to increase the cargo capacity.  This high speed, shallow draft cargo capacity is a boon for tactical resupplies, casualty evacuations, and combat search & rescue.  More than a mere errand boy, the stern is designed for easy deployment of whalesong mines, of which the boat runs shallow enough to easily avoid.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:29:19 am by ConscriptFive »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: June 09, 2018, 10:25:43 am »

As promised, the answer to all our problems. Useable in the jungle, tundra, mountains and desert:

UF-IA-44 "Tiger 2" Infantry Armour
Guns are advancing in stopping power and penetration, whilst armour cannot keep up without becoming unbearable by infantry. The original Tiger Armour can stop anything short of anti-vehicle weaponry, but is limited to static defences and uncomfortable advances. We have accepted that we cannot stop evetyhting8, but we can make our armour more ergonomic.

Tiger 2 is an all new armour harness, designed to offer attachement points, armour pockets and modules to cover the entire body. Each individual plate is a composite of high-strength ceramic backed by manganese steel to give a combination of piercing and blunt trauma protection comparable to the original armour at both a fraction of the weight and in a more ergonomic shape.

The armour comes as a set of modular pieces, allowing the soldiers to customise their level of armament. The full set consists of a helmet with optional face guard, front and back plates, pauldrons, gorget, rerebraces, vambraces, back of hand, faulds, cuisses, greaves and sabatons. In total this will cover from head to toe, with the only exception being the fingers.

The combination of reduced weight, greater comfort and modularity should make this armour available to every infantryman on the ground, instead of being restricted in use. Where before only a select few were untouchable, now the entire Forenian army will have such protection.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: June 09, 2018, 10:49:54 am »

UFAF-ARS-44 "Shield Maiden"

The Shieldmaiden consist on an evolution of our DEADLIEST RAY radar, a centrimetric model which has been decomplexed in order to be mass produced. This model has the advantage of greater range and it is capable of detecting  very small objects in its screen, allowing any planes we set up this system with (basically any plane in our air force that has room for one) to detect the missiles at a distance to engage in evasive maneuvers. Bigger devices for the navy and army are developed too, whether to be sued in fixed emplacements, ships or vehicles.

The second part of the Shieldmaiden device consists in a flare box, integrated in all our planes fuselage in order to reduce air drag. The flares are rocket propelled and burn as hot as the engine of the plane shooting them, allowing us to make smaller flares (fit more in the same box) with better range without affecting effectivity. They are now designed to fall in front of the engine exhaust vastly improving the chance of the missile locking onto them. The flares projectiles can be instead repurposed with chaff, which shouldn´t mess up with our better defined radars.

If possible, we should seek integration with the Fair Fight module, with modifications to include electrostatic jamming for their proximity fuses.

UFAF-ARS-44 "Shield Maiden" Definitve I believe:(1) Wizgrot
Tiger Armor 2:(1) Kashyyk
Saltseeker:(1) eS
UF-PTB-44 "Kurtz":(1)
Valkyrie:(0)
UF-GCS-44 "Shield Maiden" Pattern IV.(1) Quake

I suggest this version of Shieldmaiden, to really bank on the radar part. It will help us get back our aerial superiority, which will in turn fuck up their naval one and help us in the ground.

I have incorporated the designs everyone propposed to the the votebox

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: June 09, 2018, 10:51:39 am »

I will vote for the Tiger II if a ballistic shield is added.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 500