Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592991 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #5745 on: March 26, 2018, 09:06:34 pm »

We won't get the actual design without an espionage credit, but we WILL gain "experience" with, hopefully, flight-control systems and the guidance package.

What is your basis for saying this?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: March 26, 2018, 10:10:11 pm »

The sheer OP-ness of using revisions to outright steal technology?

Sorry, but I'll have to pull a quote from the rules and explain my interpretation (if you want me to) later. I've got to finish part of a project right now.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: March 26, 2018, 10:22:35 pm »

It is an old design. Much of the game involves counters and the rest is advancement. There are precious few designs that wouldn't be an outright waste. Still, that said, if there were a way to seek the experience and not the design. Maybe working from damaged parts. See how things were done, but no complete models. See how the fuel worked but not know how to produce it...

I searched the thread for revision steal design and this was the second hit...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And, umm, yes, that is quoted from the first post of the thread, so it is a thing...

You can only do it to an existing design that you have defeated. Overpowered it may be, but I have yet to see proof of such.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: March 26, 2018, 11:00:24 pm »

You can reverse-engineer things, yes. But do note that Ebbor isn't the GM, and the actual GM's quote doesn't specifically state whether we'd get the whole design one way or another, possibly because it's ruled by rolls, but also possibly because stealing whole designs would be really, really, really badly salt-inducing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: March 26, 2018, 11:13:31 pm »

Well, we're currently tied. We just need one tie breaker and we're back on track.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: March 26, 2018, 11:17:56 pm »

Quote from: Design Vote
Wild Ride (w/ research credit) (7): QuakeIV, Zanzetkuken, NAV, Funk, SC, eS, Rockeater
UFN-HA-43 'Frightening' (2): Powder Miner, Madman
UFAF-F-43 "Grey Owl' (1): Lightforge
UFS-DD-43 "Arbalest" (6): RAM, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, McHuman, Taricus, Happerry
Whalesong 1 : 10ebbor10
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: March 26, 2018, 11:40:23 pm »

Wild Ride (w/ research credit) (7): QuakeIV, Zanzetkuken, NAV, Funk, SC, eS, Rockeater
UFN-HA-43 'Frightening' (1): Powder Miner
UFAF-F-43 "Grey Owl' (1): Lightforge
UFS-DD-43 "Arbalest" (7): RAM, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, McHuman, Taricus, Happerry, Madman

No love for ultimate CAS. I see how it is. I despise the idea of doing the missile now instead of later. I'm sorry, but I'm too tired to propose an alternative now. I just think that the missile before the reverse-engineering is the worst possible way to go about it.

So have a contrary vote of contrariness instead of anything substantial. You even get some I'm-sick-and-sleep-deprived ramblings as bonus content!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: March 26, 2018, 11:43:15 pm »

UFN-HA-43 'Frightening' (1): Powder Miner
UFS-DD-43 "Arbalest" (7): RAM, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, McHuman, Taricus, Happerry, Madman
UFN-K-43 "Proteus" (1): Lightforger

The sonar on the proteus has been ripped off and replaced with dolphin torpedoes up scaled to 1 ton. The why I see it their naval general give them a full advantage tier. Where as their small ships and torpedoes are giving them a minor advantage to counter our own from more battleships. So if we not only counter theirs but, replace it with our own we should reach parity which is about the best we can do in one design.
The wild ride doesn't deal with our main issue of their smaller ships only improves our ability to kill their larger vessels. Also they way it paints target is pretty subpar; at longer distances the accuracy is going to be crap and, if you close in you may as well shoot/torpedo the enemy vessels.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:53:52 pm by Light forger »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: March 26, 2018, 11:57:34 pm »

Hey someone broke the tie- oh.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: March 27, 2018, 12:35:17 am »

Deleted
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:48:10 am by andrea »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: March 27, 2018, 12:57:10 am »

Wild Ride (w/ research credit) (8): QuakeIV, Zanzetkuken, NAV, Funk, SC, eS, Rockeater, Powder Miner
UFN-HA-43 'Frightening' (0):
witness meeeee

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: March 27, 2018, 12:58:56 am »

Aww geez. Not to be difficult, but can't we have a little more time? I think both leading projects are bad ideas- one VH for experience we could get with a revision, the other VH for something that ain't that impressive.

Like, I'm not going to strategically keep my vote on the Arbalest. Swap me over to the Whalesong (on phone, or would do it myself). And I hope that either Sensei grants us a little more time, or people suddenly rush off of both projects.

PPE: godsdamnit. Why are people so eager to repeat work that could be stolen instead?
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: March 27, 2018, 01:02:46 am »

I'm not the greatest fan of the missile but if it's going to be either the missile or the design we've been warned against...

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: March 27, 2018, 01:23:57 am »

Aww geez. Not to be difficult, but can't we have a little more time? I think both leading projects are bad ideas- one VH for experience we could get with a revision, the other VH for something that ain't that impressive.

Like, I'm not going to strategically keep my vote on the Arbalest. Swap me over to the Whalesong (on phone, or would do it myself). And I hope that either Sensei grants us a little more time, or people suddenly rush off of both projects.

PPE: godsdamnit. Why are people so eager to repeat work that could be stolen instead?

Completing command.  Put on Andrea's vote on the Arbalest, as it was removed due to a misunderstanding in the Discord (thought will denote with a (?)) in case they do not want that.

Wild Ride (w/ research credit) (8): QuakeIV, Zanzetkuken, NAV, Funk, SC, eS, Rockeater, Powder Miner
UFN-HA-43 'Frightening' (0):
UFS-DD-43 "Arbalest" (6 (Maybe 7?)): RAM, Kashyyk, McHuman, Taricus, Happerry, Madman, Andrea (Maybe?)
Whalesong 2 : 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13
witness meeeee
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:25:28 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: March 27, 2018, 03:07:04 am »

We were warned that Arbalest was difficult. Very difficult even. Mostly because competent sonar is apparently very difficult and it is on top of a new destroyer hull and the application of several recently-developed technologies. I think that it was more of a "this is much harder than you think" that "this is flat-iout impossible" but I could be wrong. It might be a "please oh please why won't you people just do a technology design once in a while you keep throwing designs for a state-of-the art vehicle, oh and throw in several decades of electronics experience for free!"...

Really, it is sort of a fundamental problem with this game that a ship has way more parts than a gun, but both can be a design...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 500