Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 590819 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1941 (Design Phase)
« Reply #4890 on: July 15, 2017, 01:33:44 pm »

Quote from: Votes
RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (12) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, evictedSaint, Madman198237, Happerry, NAV, Stabby, 3_14159, Andrea, Chiefwaffles, SMMI, Kashyyk

Because this needs more bandwagon.

Anyway, did we want to risk talking about our revision yet? Or shall we wait for Sensei to roll the design?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: July 15, 2017, 01:36:06 pm »

We're revising the Vodka battlecruiser to be decomplex.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: July 15, 2017, 01:39:19 pm »

I would not close it as a definitive revision. Sure, making it go expensive rather than VE is great, but not so great as to deny any discussion on the matter of other possible revisions.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: July 15, 2017, 01:41:41 pm »

We're double-checking proper replacements for all the second-rate Cannalan armaments, and decomplexing the thing in the bargain.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4894 on: July 15, 2017, 01:43:55 pm »

I just gotta ask - "Deadliest Ray" is an okay name, right?  This isn't gonna be like the "Reckless Effect" fiasco or the "Fuckbringer" disaster, is it?
Worst case scenario we get death ray we kill ourselves with, but kill Cannalans next turn after fixing it.

Quote from: Bandwagon
RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (13) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, evictedSaint, Madman198237, Happerry, NAV, Stabby, 3_14159, Andrea, Chiefwaffles, SMMI, Kashyyk, Kot
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: July 15, 2017, 02:07:24 pm »

Changes from Victoria to Vodka:
-Replace 12 inch Victoria cannons with 300mm overcompensator cannons. (Already done in espionage action)
-Replace Eagle Eye radar with Deadliest Ray radar (will most likely be done this design)
-Replace Firecracker AA guns with slightly inferior Bumblebee AA guns. This is the Archer's main weapon.
-Replace 1.25 inch Can Shredder autocannons with smaller 20mm Velociraptor autocannons.
-Either replace shitty cannalan torpedoes with superior Dolphin torpedoes, Sarukh rocket launchers (PAROI), or remove entirely because torpedoes on a battleship is stupit. Requires more discussion.
-Most importantly, change all imperial bolts and measurements to glorious metric system. De-complex.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: July 15, 2017, 02:19:21 pm »

-Move that one beam forward five feet so it doesn't COLLAPSE

The PAROI Party demands Sarukh rocket launchers in place of the torpedo tubes.  Mostly because we intend to develop anti-shipping missiles and the stations will make the transition easier.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: July 15, 2017, 02:45:22 pm »

The Party of Accomplishing Naval Consistency And Killing Everything disagrees, and demands that a dual-purpose secondary armament identical to the Cataphract's DP guns be put in place to protect the ship from all possible threats.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: July 15, 2017, 02:55:41 pm »

UFAF-CV-12 'Roamer'
The Roamer airship is a rigid frame airship with a number of large internal gas bags filled with hydrogen. It has two UF-AC-41 Velociraptor turrets on the top and one more that covers the underside. The nature of airships necessitate a long vulnerable craft and these gun emplacements are primarily to serve as a basic defence. The Roamer’s main offensive option is three planes in an internal hanger and a further four attached to the bottom of the airship. The Roamer uses these planes to strike targets while staying back out of the fight and acting as a refuelling and rearming platform for its fighters. Airships have incredible range and can stay in the air for very long periods of time, using Roamers it might be possible to project air power to anywhere on the map allowing us to bomb Cannala directly and raid transports. It has eight rotatable engine pods on the sides. These engine pods have turboprop engines similar to the UFAF-HAT-41 "Ice Giant" B except they have been redesigned a little to optimise fuel efficency.The most important part of the Roamer is the mid air docking mechanism.

A fixed rail system is attached to the top of the airship. This consists of two metal rails and a light but durable runner. Landing planes mechanically latch into the runner at high speed. The runner has its own breaks that decelerate the runner and the attached plane. Once the plane is brought to a halt it is brought inside the airship's internal hanger where it is rearmed and refuelled. Once a plane is refuelled and rearmed and after its engines get most of the way up to speed it can be released from the bottom of the airship. A fixed rail system is vastly lighter in weight than a flight deck and while it is a difficult manoeuvre this allows even very fast planes with high stall speeds to dock with the airship.

My proposal for a carrier airship

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: July 15, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »

The idea appeals to me, but I have a few issues.

First, you want to fill the gas bags with hydrogen, whilst we face an enemy who is known to have incendiary rounds.
Second, three defence turrets is not enough to defend something of this size.
Third, a complement of seven fighters is, again, not enough I feel.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: July 15, 2017, 04:14:32 pm »

I have concerns about this being the definitive radar.
 I suspect that it will not be small enough, I would like to save some room for refining the quirks of the design to get it properly small.
 I would like to see phased arrays. If not for the rapid scanning and increased target management, then for the technobabble quotient.
 I would like to see segregation of detector and broadcaster. This would allow really really tiny stuff like targeting mortars for paratroopers to plop a sticky wad with a radiator in it on top of an enemy bunker and have a 4-tonne missile drop from 5000 metres up and land right on top of it. Or have the same mortar sticking out of the bottom of a small, agile plane that drops from a bomber and starts shooting sticky-wads at manufacturing installations while dropping a layer of smoke behind it to aid its own escape and the safety of the ensuing craft.

Also note that they have infrared. This probably means heat-seeking missiles. We could consider adding flares to some of our stuff... I mean, flares are really useful for marking targets and such. Wouldn't it be nice if one of our fighters, upon spotting an enemy troop formation, could just drop a flare over it and warn nearby forces, even if it wasn't equipped to deal with the situation itself? Mounting flares on our hot stuff ought to be a really good, convenient, standard idea with no ulterior motives at all...

I think that speed is the most important thing for the former victoria. As a more numerous victoria it is still doomed. It will get overcome by the enemy hordes and force us into a pitched battle against their forces. It is basically a liability. As a fast vessel it supports our fleet doctrine of "stand-off and let the aircraft handle it." which would be invaluable even in smaller numbers. It will be able to defeat any current craft that can catch it and hold off a lot of small-fry. That is worth it even at very expensive. A complex version that can stay with out fleets is worthwhile. A common version that is forced into battle on the enemy's terms is not, not unless we can somehow overwhelm the enemy fleets with brute-force.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: July 15, 2017, 04:25:16 pm »

I don't think we have to worry so much about the née Victoria. The Victoria is their best battleship and it is VE. They had to downgrade it to make an expensive version. If we field the née Victoria at Expensive with no other changes, we would be out competing them in the battleship section of naval warfare. Our air superiority (even after the inevitable reaction design for this turn) will easily be able to turn over their inherent Naval Bonus. I'm quite confident that just by decomplexifying the née Victoria, we can bring them down to a minor advantage at least. Hell, parity wouldn't be inconceivable.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: July 15, 2017, 04:26:33 pm »

And I highly doubt they'll get heat-seeking rockets; their electronics are simply too large and bulky for anything of the sort they could make. And given their lack of experience with rockets...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: July 15, 2017, 04:29:52 pm »

Parity's not likely with Cortez propping them up, but the expensive Vodkatoria would probably drop em one

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: July 15, 2017, 05:22:54 pm »

Would dropping one for a turn help? We are spending a revision on it regardless. We can probably get it up to speed just be reducing its armament's quantity a bit. We don't want to be trading blows directly with victorias anyway if we can hit them with aircraft instead. A victoria that fits into our mobile fleet doctrine is a long-term investment that keeps our carriers safe for air exchanges to be the decider. A lode-stone that forces us to throw everything we have into the grinder against their naval general is a dubious investment short-term and a null long-term.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 500