Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591678 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1940 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #2790 on: May 30, 2017, 12:17:46 pm »

You really have a knack for drawing aircraft, Kot. Though the Haast#s propeller looks a wee bit small. Then again, the Haast was an unmigitated disaster when it came to speed so I suppose it fits.
Not being critical or anything but I'm pretty sure Kot traces? Could be wrong though.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #2791 on: May 30, 2017, 12:20:05 pm »

Is there a reason the 300mm naval cannon is not using rocket assisted shells for added range?

I mean, not super critical of the design, I like it, but I just want to.. put a rocket on it.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: May 30, 2017, 12:24:25 pm »

Rocket assisted shells do not need to be purpose created for each gun. If a gun fires shells , it has a rocket propelled variant.

The reason you don't see standard shells much in battle reports is that we are outranged using normal shells, so we mostly use rocket propelled.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: May 30, 2017, 12:26:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure rocket shells are a design doctrine though? :P

Though they'd be redundant, the gun would already outrange the six inchers the cannalans use by a wide margin. Not to mention all the jokes we can make at the expense of General (Well, Admiral) Cortez :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1940 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #2794 on: May 30, 2017, 12:41:35 pm »

We're going to design a coastal gun? I guess that would all but secure the upper island and the mountains from invasion, and set us up for some kind of cruiser. Radar fire control revision next turn would be a good combo with a cruiser since then we could attack their ships at night. We could turn their naval advantage around in two turns if all goes well.

Quote from: Votes
(3) UFS-CV-40 'Tiger Star', Pattern A: evictedSaint, Andrea, Piratejoe
(0) UFS-CV-40 'Tiger Star', Pattern K: CatamaranCat
(6) B3 'Compensator' 300mm Coastal Gun/Naval Cannon: Kashyyk, khan boyzitbig, Taricus, strongpoint, Nav, GUNINANRUNIN
(2) UFS-CV-40 DEVIL WEED Kot's Ramblings Zheleznogorod?: Kot, Azzuro

I'm really not comfortable with them winning on the plains though. If they actually succeed in invading Forenia that could cause some serious economic and morale problems, so I hope we use our revision on ERA this round to negate their Daybreaker that they are so reliant on.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:44:03 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: May 30, 2017, 12:43:20 pm »

(4) UFS-CV-40 'Tiger Star', Pattern A: evictedSaint, Andrea, Piratejoe, Powder Miner
(7) B3 'Compensator' 300mm Coastal Gun/Naval Cannon: Kashyyk, khan boyzitbig, Taricus, strongpoint, Nav, 10ebbor10, GUNINANRUNIN
(3) UFS-CV-40 DEVIL WEED Kot's Ramblings Zheleznogorod?: Kot, Azzuro, Mulisa
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2796 on: May 30, 2017, 12:54:29 pm »

UFS-CV-40 'Zheleznogorod' B

The Zheleznogorod-class is United Forenia's answer to the Santos-class carriers fielded by Cannala. A purpose-built carrier, it is larger and longer than the Wasp Nest, but its most distinctive feature is the two stacked flight decks, both equipped with rocket-powered (or failing that, steam or hydraulic or pneumatic or just none at all) catapults to help our aircraft get up to speed and both terminating in ski jump ramps to ensure our planes start climbing immediately. A small number of planes can be parked at the rear of upper flight deck in a ready condition, which in conjunction with the hangar ending in another launch deck, allows the Zheleznogorod to scramble its fighters far faster than the Wasp Nest could. Two hydraulic lifts located at the middle and rear end of the top flight deck allow planes to be brought up from the hangar level below. Being open ended on both sides means larger planes can be lifted by hanging the tail off the end. The hanger features three "fire curtains" and has enough room for unused planes to be hung from the rafters.  The deck is made of steel rather than wood, in order to withstand the forces a jet aircraft would put on it. A design element that is definitely not inspired by the Cannalans is the addition of an elevated tower island to starboard, counterbalanced by offsetting the engines to port, allowing the ship's commanders a better view of flight operations and appreciation of the battle situation. The edges of the upper deck contain a number of Bumblebee and AS-AC18s emplacements for defence, along with a safety netting to prevent careless sailors from falling into the ocean. The ship also has a medium armour torpedo belt, intended to offset its top-heaviness.

(4) UFS-CV-40 'Tiger Star', Pattern A: evictedSaint, Andrea, Piratejoe, Powder Miner
(7) B3 'Compensator' 300mm Coastal Gun/Naval Cannon: Kashyyk, khan boyzitbig, Taricus, strongpoint, Nav, 10ebbor10, GUNINANRUNIN
(2) UFS-CV-40 DEVIL WEED Kot's Ramblings Zheleznogorod?: Azzuro, Mulisa
(1) UFS-CV-40 Zheleznogorod B: Kot
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:00:53 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: May 30, 2017, 12:56:16 pm »

No extra TC this turn, I guess : (

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: May 30, 2017, 12:56:56 pm »

(1) UFS-CV-40 DEVIL WEED Kot's Ramblings Zheleznogorod?: Azzuro
(2) UFS-CV-40 Zheleznogorod B: Kot, Mulisa
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: May 30, 2017, 12:57:35 pm »

(3) UFS-CV-40 Zheleznogorod B: Kot, Mulisa, Azzuro

United Forenia Forever!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: May 30, 2017, 01:01:31 pm »

Our carrier is fixable by revision, and besides according to the battle reports I'm not really seeing any deficiency in our current Wasp Nest besides the problems with the elevator. As I've said before what's deficient is our support vessels, and shockingly so. The Archer has a smaller gun than even it originally intended and a single hit will break it apart, and we still have very few options in the face of the Seaweed AA cruisers. Our own cruiser is the most efficient use of our action, rather than just dumping more aircraft on their fleet in the hopes of overwhelming their anti-air defenses, a clearly failed strategy considering we have never even reached parity with them on the sea, especially now that they have carriers of their own.

(3) UFS-CV-40 DEVIL WEED Kot's Ramblings Zheleznogorod?: Kot, Azzuro, Mulisa
(1) UFS-CC-40 Pattern F "Cavalier": Baffler
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:03:06 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2801 on: May 30, 2017, 01:03:00 pm »

Our carrier is fixable by revision, and besides according to the battle reports I'm not really seeing any deficiency in our current Wasp Nest besides the problems with the elevator.
Doesn't launch all our planes. Also, we did reach parity with them at sea, before they created their own aircraft carrier, in words of Sensei they only keept their naval advantage due to their general.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: May 30, 2017, 01:06:28 pm »

We could certainly create a better carrier, able to launch fighters faster and all that.  I think we should try and make a more powerful cruiser then use the experience from that to make a larger aircraft carrier.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: May 30, 2017, 01:10:55 pm »

Our carrier is fixable by revision, and besides according to the battle reports I'm not really seeing any deficiency in our current Wasp Nest besides the problems with the elevator.
Doesn't launch all our planes. Also, we did reach parity with them at sea, before they created their own aircraft carrier, in words of Sensei they only keept their naval advantage due to their general.

Yeah but... does it really need to? The Stinger, Haast, and HAFB can all launch from it, and that's really all it needs. The yellowjacket and DB-23 are practically obsolete, the jet is useless for naval engagements anyway because of its terrible endurance, and the cargo plane has no business on an aircraft carrier in the first place.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: May 30, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »

Our carrier is fixable by revision, and besides according to the battle reports I'm not really seeing any deficiency in our current Wasp Nest besides the problems with the elevator. As I've said before what's deficient is our support vessels, and shockingly so. The Archer has a smaller gun than even it originally intended and a single hit will break it apart, and we still have very few options in the face of the Seaweed AA cruisers. Our own cruiser is the most efficient use of our action, rather than just dumping more aircraft on their fleet in the hopes of overwhelming their anti-air defenses, a clearly failed strategy considering we have never even reached parity with them on the sea, especially now that they have carriers of their own.

As what Kot said, the Wasp Nest can't launch the Haast fully loaded, and certainly can't launch the Thunderbird. Future jet aircraft will also suffer the same problem, stagnating our air power at sea as we can't use new aircraft on our carriers as well. Meanwhile, the Santos may be able to launch a Cannalan jet, depending on whether it has a catapult, but if they can we will definitely lose the naval battle badly. I would disagree about jets not being useful on carriers, as in naval battles numbers don't matter so much (our carriers are said to be carrying the Expensive planes while the cheap ones scramble from land) and short range is all that's needed for CAP. Jets outclass traditional fighters one-for-one. Also, letting the Haast launch with its full load of two Dolphins would be another "add-on" benefit of a new carrier.

Revising a longer deck, ski jump and catapult would be beyond the bounds of a revision, so might as well make it a full design. Also, we got them down to Basic Naval Advantage before with just the Wasp Nest, before they introduced the Santos carrier. If we introduce a newer better carrier, I daresay we will be able to do it again.

Also, you quoted an older votebox, it's fixed here:

(3) UFS-CV-40 Zheleznogorod B: Kot, Mulisa, Azzuro
(1) UFS-CC-40 Pattern F "Cavalier": Baffler

United Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 500