Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591227 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1940 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #2655 on: May 25, 2017, 06:51:16 pm »

In the last game anti-war rebels blew up mines, interrupted resources, and staged a revolution that overthrew two governments and ended up ruling the entire continent. I don't think it's that improbable.

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: May 25, 2017, 06:51:27 pm »

Azzuro has a point, guys - we need to outlaw sugar.  It's profoundly Cannalan, has a negative health impact, and I saw a hippie eating a frosted donut yesterday so it'll probably give them more power if we let this poison exist in our society.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: May 25, 2017, 06:53:29 pm »

We don't need to outlaw suger. Not with the red rot going around on cannala. But rum? We'll throw it on the list like Cannabis is.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: May 25, 2017, 06:55:51 pm »

Is sugar being imported from Cannala and causing societal troubles that are running directly counter to our war effort? If no, quit the slippery slope fallacy, thanks.

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: May 25, 2017, 06:56:37 pm »

quit the slippery slope fallacy, thanks.

>Weed causes terrorism.

Dude.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: May 25, 2017, 06:58:08 pm »

Weed's causing pacifists. Is there really a difference between pacifism and terrorism?

No. There is not.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: May 25, 2017, 06:59:43 pm »

Please quote where I used the word "terrorism", else quit making up arguments that I haven't made.

Also,

>"Weed has proven medical and manufacturing benefits! We can't outlaw it or we'll lose those benefits!"
IRL a lot of drugs like amphetamine are outlawed, but can be prescribed by legitimate doctors for medical purposes. We're not saying remove all trace of this chemical from every square inch of Forenian ground, we're arguing that people shouldn't be able to access it freely, much like how methamphetamines are illegal but still can be prescribed by doctors today.

Got any reply for this? You seem to assume that we will purge and forever never allow even the slightest trace of cannabis anywhere. We're simply saying it should be banned from recreational use, not all use.

United Forenia Forever!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: May 25, 2017, 07:00:03 pm »

quit the slippery slope fallacy, thanks.

>Weed causes terrorism.

Dude.
Well, the thing is that due to it's cannalan origins and where the financing of the cannabis trade goes, we have pretty good evidence to suggest that the money is going to cannala and funding their war effort. If that isn't funding terrorism or worse, I don't know what it.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: May 25, 2017, 07:03:42 pm »

Also, Chiefwaffles, since the Pro-Cannala Cannabis side seems to object to us adding you to the vote tally but has no objections adding people to their side of it, could you vote in it yourself, please?

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: May 25, 2017, 07:06:19 pm »

Not you, I was referencing an earlier anti-cannabis argument.

My guess is that legalising it will take Cannala out of the picture, as it starts to get grown in Forenia. And we'd get an Expense Credit from the tax.
Conversely, if we ban it, it gets smuggled in (from Cannala) and Cannala gets an Expense Credit.
HOWEVER. If we legalise it, we will strengthen the Peace Party, weakening the government, potentially leading to anti-war uprisings in the future. Which might engage in acts of sabotage, for example blowing up mines- losing an ore for a turn is not worth an expense credit, is my thinking.

That being said, I'll admit you never said the word "terrorism", but you did say:

In the last game anti-war rebels blew up mines, interrupted resources, and staged a revolution that overthrew two governments and ended up ruling the entire continent. I don't think it's that improbable.

My point is letting hippies smoke weed won't cause them to start blowing up mines - oppressing them will, which is what we tried to do last game.

We are saying remove it from Forenia, Azzuro.  And if we try, it won't work because it's already here.

Taricus, making it illegal will cause it to spawn an illegal drug market, as history has shown us.  If anything, making it illegal will prevent us from growing it in Forenian soil, meaning the money still goes overseas to Cannala.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 25, 2017, 07:08:17 pm »

IF it isn't working then we aren't trying hard enough to stem the tide. And ensuring it stays illegal means we can cut off the cannalans from the financial gains of it.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 25, 2017, 07:15:53 pm »

it won't work because it's already here.

So if Bad Things are being done, we can't Stop Bad Things because they're already being done?

Anyway, if you want to literally finance the Cannalan side of the war by buying drugs from them, I think history has shown that is a Bad Idea too.

United Forenia Forever!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2667 on: May 25, 2017, 07:44:40 pm »

Well, at least we got a nice list of people to report to Secret Police for supporting Peace With Cannala Party.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: May 25, 2017, 07:47:18 pm »

Attack the Jungle (10): Lightforger, Stabby, Saint, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Azzuro, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Khan Boyzitbig, Funk
Attack the Plains (10): Lightforger, Stabby, Saint, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Azzuro, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Khan Boyzitbig, Funk

Formally legalize marijuana (12): Lightforger, Stabby, Saint, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, helmacon, McHuman, Aedel, Khan Boyzitbig, Funk, Kashyyk, Urist Mc Dwarf
Formally criminalize marijuana (9): Azzuro, Taricus, Baffler, Madman198237, Kot, RAM, NAV, NUKE9.13, VoidSlayer
EvictedSaint appears to have reformatted the vote tally. A seemingly harmless gesture. Note, however, that the most important element of the reformatting was excluded. I mean, of course, that there are no rockets at all added to this quote tally. I fear that we may have a spy in our midst. How else could one forget to place a rocket upon the vote tally?

P.S.
 I, for one, have no respect for "slippery slope fallacy" as an argument. The Slippery slop fallacy seems to be extremely ambiguous. Progressive trends are a real thing and can be impeded or catalysed. There are also agreat many things that look very similar and are largely unrelated. I feel that "slippery slope" is one of these things that needs to be explained on a case-by-case basis to be valid. Just as referring to Hitler does not invalidate your argument if you are discussing public perceptions of evil, or playing a game which features Hitler, unless it is a rule of the game that referencing Hitler invalidates your argument even though Hitler is extremely relevant to the game's operation, which could be interesting...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: May 25, 2017, 08:09:29 pm »

Attack the Jungle (10): Lightforger, Stabby, Saint, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Azzuro, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Khan Boyzitbig, Funk
Attack the Plains (10): Lightforger, Stabby, Saint, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, Azzuro, Baffler, NUKE9.13, Khan Boyzitbig, Funk

Formally legalize marijuana (12): Lightforger, Stabby, Saint, Piratejoe, Powder Miner, helmacon, McHuman, Aedel, Khan Boyzitbig, Funk, Kashyyk, Urist Mc Dwarf
Formally criminalize marijuana (9): Azzuro, Taricus, Baffler, Madman198237, Kot, RAM, NAV, NUKE9.13, VoidSlayer

I'm going to lock voting here, good debate everyone!

The Slippery slop fallacy
I'm pretty sure this pertains to deciding liability when someone slips and hurts themselves in a messy restaurant.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 500