Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591052 times)

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1940 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #2520 on: May 24, 2017, 03:11:55 am »

Frankly, they have a half dozen combat ships and we have one. We could spend the rest of the game making ships and still not close the gap. And then there's their general. Even if we roll 3 sixes on very hard ship designs, they will just revise their existing designs and go back to outgunning us. The glass cannon approach might work, but the ship absolutely must be cheap in that case.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:18:17 am by Olith McHuman »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: May 24, 2017, 03:22:30 am »

Except that's not how it works.
Naval combat isn't all-or-nothing. They'll probably always have a better navy than us, but there's a point at which upgrading our navy helps us more at sea for an easier action than upgrading our air force.

Just because they have a better navy than us doesn't mean any upgrades to our ships are useless.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: May 24, 2017, 03:27:54 am »

Since the Archer currently costs 3/2, upgrading the armour and engines would raise the cost to 4/3, which would still be cheap. And I guarantee you it would have some effect. All else being equal, it would probably drop their naval advantage down to Normal.
The reason I'm not 100% behind the Archer upgrade is not that it wouldn't be useful, but that it would be useful in the wrong area. Jungle! Jungle jungle jungle! Let's win the jungle! Let's make our decent jet into a quite good jet, so that we don't need to worry about air superiority for the next few turns. (air superiority helps in the jungle)
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: May 24, 2017, 03:32:45 am »

aT-J02: (2) NUKE9.13, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: May 24, 2017, 04:04:35 am »

The glass cannon approach might work, but the ship absolutely must be cheap in that case.
I feel that 320mm rockets could be mounted on something very small, and would fill the glass-cannon role for the rest of the war. We aren't looking for superiority here, just something that can take advantage of the ocean to field heavy ordnance and loiter near-indefinately. Rockets owuldn't perform anywhere near as well as guns in a protracted engagement, but if you just want to force them to stay on their toes then it should be enough and the recoil and chamber savings are immense, really, rockets are the way to reinvent the torpedo boat to operate at ranges where destroyers can't just shut them down. And we don't need to crush them, just keep their noses out of our carriers. Small enough and fast enough ships are difficult to bomb or torpedo and strafing runs are dangerous, what with having to fly straight at the enemy within cannon range, so it is not as though aurcraft are as effective as destroyers at shoing away torpedo-boat doctrines.

With basically no recoil and a turret that consists of an elevated tube, I really see no reason that you can't have three-metre rockets launched from a twenty-metre ship...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: May 24, 2017, 04:27:57 am »

I vote for upgrading our main fighter to decisevely win the air war this turn.

We want to reliably win the air both on naval and jungle theaters.  We have a low risk way to do this. Trying to improve the jet engine further is gambling for another 6 but this time we have no research credit at all and this won't help our carrier based fighters. I see little long term benefit of upgrading archer because it will never be competitive enough with cannalan vessels.

aT-J02: (2) NUKE9.13, Taricus
AS-HF-32c "Javeling": (1) strongpoint 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:29:44 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: May 24, 2017, 06:25:45 am »

aT-J02: (3) NUKE9.13, Taricus, Stabby
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: May 24, 2017, 06:47:44 am »

aT-J02: (3) NUKE9.13, Taricus, Stabby
aT-J03: (1) Kashyyk

As I understand it, we don't have any other very expensive fighters. Thus it is better to improve the plane in this slot than to have it compete with the plane in a lower expense bracket.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: May 24, 2017, 06:49:39 am »

aT-J02: (4) NUKE9.13, Taricus, Stabby, Piratejoe
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: May 24, 2017, 06:59:10 am »

I may have changed my mind about the jet engine revision. It may indeed by overambitious to try to upgrade our jet engines on the same turn we first make them. Perhaps it would be better to wait until we have more experience building them.

(BTW, Cannalans in Discord are 100% sure that Jet Engines are impossible, and would be shit even if they did work. So, massive quantities of salt incoming)

aT-J02: (3) Taricus, Stabby, Piratejoe
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: May 24, 2017, 07:10:51 am »

We get experience though every design we use for them. So an effort towards it will not be wasted. If not, we always have NERA as an alternative.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #2531 on: May 24, 2017, 07:31:59 am »

Spoiler: To Madman198237 (click to show/hide)

Anyway, great result on the jet, although again our Axis allies fail at planes! It doesn't seem to have any major flaws except of course, for the one in square brackets at the end. I am not too sure what sort of battle effect it'll have being better but also Very Expensive. So I'm voting for researching the engine in order to mass produce it (remove the [Complex] tag).

aT-J02: (4) Taricus, Stabby, Piratejoe, Azzuro

As I understand it, we're currently at 4 ore/3 oil, so we're currently two resources behind, which together with [Complex] makes it Very Expensive. We'll need to build 2 additional TC and secure the Jungle to make it Expensive, or we could try to remove [Complex] for the same effect. I'm more inclined to the latter.

I'm also supportive of any revision that helps us to secure the last bit of the Jungle, but there don't seem to be any yet. We really need to get the Jungle Ore. Of the four resources in the centre, Cannala has 2 and we have 1, but Al and Ti are not applicable to all designs like Ore and Oil are, so we're actually not disadvantaged (much) resource-wise. And of course, we have the Mutriqa oil, though who knows when we'll get the TC to use it.

Also, from the Discord, the Cannalans are apparently not building their own jet, which only means they're doing a ground design to push the Jungle back to 2/2. But don't forget, we had the Sarukh and thus the jungle advantage last turn. Hopefully whatever they put out isn't enough to nullify both the Sarukh and Thunderbird, but I'm not optimistic about that.

EDIT: According to AseaHeru on Discord, the Cannalans rolled a 5 on an Impossible Design. I'm really really having trouble imagining what ground combat design could be Impossible - perhaps an anti-artillery interceptor system like Iron Dome?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:50:38 am by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: May 24, 2017, 07:33:57 am »

From the discord, they attempted an impossible project and got a 5. So they'll be pushing next turn rather than this one. Given it's still dry season, we'll be frying them off the jungle.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: May 24, 2017, 08:36:54 am »

UF-P40 "Emperor Penguin" parachute system
An upgraded parachute made from nylon instead of cotton. Being made from nylon, it's both lighter and stronger allowing the paratroopers to take more gear on missions. It has crude controls that allow the soldiers to choose where they land. We also created a larger parachute that can be used for cargo or small vehicles.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: May 24, 2017, 09:01:04 am »

Impossible:
5: You don't build a working example of your design, but your understanding in this field grows like succeeding on a normal design.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 500