Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591262 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1940 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #2295 on: May 20, 2017, 08:22:35 am »

The stuff I left out I left out on purpose, either because it was redundant, or too ambitious for a revision.
Besides, I don't expect Sensei to actually take into account the effect of each individual item. Rather, I expect him to give us a generic +1 to infantry, or something like that.
Long Live United Forenia!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: May 20, 2017, 08:27:38 am »

M4 Kiger HMG: (0)
BLOODLESS EAGLE: (0)
BLOODIER EAGLE: (0)
Chum: (0)
'Archer' Pattern F: (3)Wolfhunter107, Helmacon, Baffler
'Archer' Pattern G: (1) Happerry
"Reachr" Ship Destroyer: (0)
UF-ALR-40 'SHARUKH:()
UF-ABR-40 "Shower Curtain":(1) VoidSlayer
SHMG-40 "War Horse" :(7) Mulisa, Madman198237, Piratejoe, evictedSaint, GUNINANRUNIN, Stabby, strongpoint
UF-AC-40: (0)
Reduced Infantry QoL: (8) NUKE9.13, Azzuro, Andrea, Kashyyk, Powder Miner, Taricus, 3_14159, RAM
Full Infantry QOL: (1) NAV

Order:
Continue production of the Stallion: (2) 3_14159, NAV

Edit:
I find it funny that QOL has the sunglasses smiley when the QOL revision includes sunglasses.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:29:15 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: May 20, 2017, 09:34:26 am »

The updated autocannon is not an APIB but a conventional design, to allow immediate swapping of ammo types.
Than this is absolutely not a revision but a design action. It is like "revising" gas operated machinegun into recoil operated machinegun
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: May 20, 2017, 09:37:19 am »

The War Horse HMG/Super-HMG will be an invaluable asset for defense. The firerate is better than any autocannon, even though it's still slow. The M2 Browning wasn't exactly doing Hitler's Buzzsaw with 1000+ RPM, after all. It was relatively slow-firing. But when the enemy realizes that your average full-grown tree doesn't provide any cover, infantry assaults are going to go to a standstill. Plus, it will give us additional guns on the line----it supplements the autocannons, not replaces them. It is meant to be mobile, portable in, say, three-man teams (Two guys lugging the gun and some ammo, one with the tripod and a lot of ammo), or two-man with the cart.
http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/maxim_crews.jpg

That image is about what I'm thinking of. It's probably slightly upscaled from that, but with a bit of modification that cart, can carry ammo as well. IRL, the cart can be moved and used by a 2-man team and carries a .50 cal Russian HMG.

We're not automatically adding the things onto aircraft. Unless it adds no difficulty. But think about it: This is going to be, at most, Normal difficulty. It's a gun, been in production for decades, that we understand. Not to mention, it's hideously outdated and doesn't use modern advancements, making it easy for a modern engineer to say "Oh wow, we can just do this and this like our LMG/MMGs and this like the autocannons and BOOM, it's better". We have a lot of engineering basis for keeping weights down (On the autocannon, I believe) and also for higher firerates (Sorraia) and all of that fun stuff. Anything else is tempting fate with the difficulty.

Our AS-AC18 has a fire rate of "about 600 times per minute", according to the equipment list. Quit making up facts, because the AS-AC18 has a better rate of fire than the War Horse's 200 RPM. And again the AS-AC18's 20mm rounds are also armour-penetrating, so I don't see what the War Horse has to offer us there.

For your picture, note the background. Urban terrain. That's a lot easier to move a wheeled cart through and around than the jungle undergrowth. Have you ever tried pulling a wheeled cart through the jungle? Neither have I, because that's ridiculously impractical. In the jungle, once off the track, the only way to move things is by legs (or by heli-winch which we don't have yet). Also, the M2 Browning with tripod is 58 kilograms, not including any ammo at all. If you think 20+ kilograms of weapon per person is reasonable, excluding literally all other equipment, then you are free to vote for the War Horse.

Also, given that your description includes "will also be mounted in appropriate aircraft", I'm going to assume that was a factor in getting people to vote for it as well, so it's disingenuous to claim that we suddenly won't do so. I believe other people have already gone into detail why expecting this thing to replace the Sorraia without issue is ludicrous, so I won't do it again.

Again, I'm not worried about the difficulty. As the Haast showed, difficulty doesn't matter if you roll a 6. But even if you succeed and get exactly what you asked for in terms of requirements, that doesn't mean the weapon will perform as expected. Again, during the Haast debacle, people essentially said "Add in the requirement for one tonne of bombs! If we fail, we'll at least get 500 kg!". The game doesn't work that way, we succeeded and got a plane with 1000kg of bombs, but it was quite useless as a fighter. Listing down outrageous requirements in the design and expecting the GM to do the work of cutting it down to reasonable numbers according to the die roll isn't how the game works.

Infantry QoL is likely going to be too big for a revision. Look at the list: How extensive is it? How much of it do we have a basis for? Also, is it worth it? And I'd say, heck no. Not the one linked in the vote box. Where's the extended list?

So the QoL list is too big for a revision, yet you also don't want the shortened list? What's your meaning here?

Also, NAV, you can disable smilies in your post under "Attachments and other options" below the post box if you edit your post.

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: May 20, 2017, 10:34:00 am »

SHMG-40 "War Horse" :(6) Mulisa, Madman198237, Piratejoe, GUNINANRUNIN, Stabby, strongpoint
Reduced Infantry QoL: (9) NUKE9.13, Azzuro, Andrea, Kashyyk, Powder Miner, Taricus, 3_14159, RAM, evictedSaint
Full Infantry QOL: (1) NAV

Order:

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: May 20, 2017, 11:00:29 am »

The War Horse HMG/Super-HMG will be an invaluable asset for defense. The firerate is better than any autocannon, even though it's still slow. The M2 Browning wasn't exactly doing Hitler's Buzzsaw with 1000+ RPM, after all. It was relatively slow-firing. But when the enemy realizes that your average full-grown tree doesn't provide any cover, infantry assaults are going to go to a standstill. Plus, it will give us additional guns on the line----it supplements the autocannons, not replaces them. It is meant to be mobile, portable in, say, three-man teams (Two guys lugging the gun and some ammo, one with the tripod and a lot of ammo), or two-man with the cart.
http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/maxim_crews.jpg

That image is about what I'm thinking of. It's probably slightly upscaled from that, but with a bit of modification that cart, can carry ammo as well. IRL, the cart can be moved and used by a 2-man team and carries a .50 cal Russian HMG.

We're not automatically adding the things onto aircraft. Unless it adds no difficulty. But think about it: This is going to be, at most, Normal difficulty. It's a gun, been in production for decades, that we understand. Not to mention, it's hideously outdated and doesn't use modern advancements, making it easy for a modern engineer to say "Oh wow, we can just do this and this like our LMG/MMGs and this like the autocannons and BOOM, it's better". We have a lot of engineering basis for keeping weights down (On the autocannon, I believe) and also for higher firerates (Sorraia) and all of that fun stuff. Anything else is tempting fate with the difficulty.

Our AS-AC18 has a fire rate of "about 600 times per minute", according to the equipment list. Quit making up facts, because the AS-AC18 has a better rate of fire than the War Horse's 200 RPM. And again the AS-AC18's 20mm rounds are also armour-penetrating, so I don't see what the War Horse has to offer us there.

For your picture, note the background. Urban terrain. That's a lot easier to move a wheeled cart through and around than the jungle undergrowth. Have you ever tried pulling a wheeled cart through the jungle? Neither have I, because that's ridiculously impractical. In the jungle, once off the track, the only way to move things is by legs (or by heli-winch which we don't have yet). Also, the M2 Browning with tripod is 58 kilograms, not including any ammo at all. If you think 20+ kilograms of weapon per person is reasonable, excluding literally all other equipment, then you are free to vote for the War Horse.

Also, given that your description includes "will also be mounted in appropriate aircraft", I'm going to assume that was a factor in getting people to vote for it as well, so it's disingenuous to claim that we suddenly won't do so. I believe other people have already gone into detail why expecting this thing to replace the Sorraia without issue is ludicrous, so I won't do it again.

Again, I'm not worried about the difficulty. As the Haast showed, difficulty doesn't matter if you roll a 6. But even if you succeed and get exactly what you asked for in terms of requirements, that doesn't mean the weapon will perform as expected. Again, during the Haast debacle, people essentially said "Add in the requirement for one tonne of bombs! If we fail, we'll at least get 500 kg!". The game doesn't work that way, we succeeded and got a plane with 1000kg of bombs, but it was quite useless as a fighter. Listing down outrageous requirements in the design and expecting the GM to do the work of cutting it down to reasonable numbers according to the die roll isn't how the game works.

Infantry QoL is likely going to be too big for a revision. Look at the list: How extensive is it? How much of it do we have a basis for? Also, is it worth it? And I'd say, heck no. Not the one linked in the vote box. Where's the extended list?

So the QoL list is too big for a revision, yet you also don't want the shortened list? What's your meaning here?

Also, NAV, you can disable smilies in your post under "Attachments and other options" below the post box if you edit your post.
A lot of us did keep telling we don't need a new bomber. Should we preform a blood eagle on whoever suggested the Haast as well?

EDIT; And by "Blood eagle" I mean we put a Blood Eagle ERA plate against their chest and detonate it. Blood Eagle to FORENIAN WAY!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:02:20 am by Mulisa »
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 20, 2017, 11:08:12 am »

My point with the Haast is that while you can put in any old requirements into a design, it's a monkey's paw sorta-deal: you will get those exact requirements if you succeed, but even a 6 won't make it fit the role you planned for it. A 0.60 cal SHMG that is light enough to be infantry-portable in the offensive role, light enough to replace the Sorraias on our aircraft, and powerful enough to be a difference may be theoretically possible, but Sensei will come up with a (probably hilarious) reason why it doesn't, or doesn't fulfil the intended role.

Other than that, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

United Forenia Forever!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2302 on: May 20, 2017, 11:20:09 am »

Voting for full QoL. I'm not that attached to the idea of a 15mm HMG, thing would be bloody huge.

SHMG-40 "War Horse" :(5) Mulisa, Madman198237, Piratejoe, Stabby, strongpoint
Reduced Infantry QoL: (9) NUKE9.13, Azzuro, Andrea, Kashyyk, Powder Miner, Taricus, 3_14159, RAM, evictedSaint
Full Infantry QOL: (2) NAV, GUNINANRUNIN

Order:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:21:45 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 20, 2017, 11:34:48 am »

Full QoL involves some significant things on their own -- plastic explosives and the uniform revision msot specifically-- that I think would take it out of our reach.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 20, 2017, 11:38:24 am »

Full QoL involves some significant things on their own -- plastic explosives and the uniform revision msot specifically-- that I think would take it out of our reach.
Don't forget the parachutes. Yeah, the full list is overambitious.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 20, 2017, 11:50:57 am »

How about we remove the plastic explosives, move sunglasses from uniform to equipment, and do just the equipment for this revision? Save the uniform for another revision later. Because they really are separate things.

I think this revision could help us more than just % bonus to troops. It will create specialized roles like combat medic and engineer and scout.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 20, 2017, 12:55:39 pm »

Today in Discord:
Quote from: Discord
NUKE9.13 - Today at 6:01 PM
Hey, I just had a monumentally stupid idea.
Mulisa - Today at 6:01 PM
Welcome to my life, nuke
NUKE9.13 - Today at 6:02 PM
What if instead of Japan, Forenia does Pearl Harbour?
We then proceeded to discuss escalating :WarCrimes:
What fun we have.

(I am not actually suggesting we do this. See my previous comments re:Monumentally Stupidity)

We also discussed what design to send our allies. We narrowed it down to the following (though if you can make an argument for something else, go ahead):

-T33: It is reckoned that this tank is superior to German tanks in its price range, so Hitler might like it. And if we're sending things to Japan, well, they could obviously use a decent tank.
-Salamander: It's pretty good, and apparently none of the Axis have an equivalent vehicle. Japan especially might appreciate it.
-Dolphin: Germany could use some better torpedo tech. However, Japan would probably laugh at our pathetic attempts to design a torpedo and go back to their Type 91s.
-Haast: Well, it's not much of a fighter, but it is very good at providing close air support. And I understand Japan is looking for planes that have proven themselves against large ships...

Anyone here got any ideas what we should send?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: May 20, 2017, 01:01:49 pm »

If the Salamander doesn't have ANY equivalents, it might be the smart bet.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: May 20, 2017, 01:06:29 pm »

A 15mm/.60 cal HMG is only slightly bigger than a .50. Mounting it on aircraft was something I've been trying to ask Sensei about. If it is going to add difficulty, then I won't leave it on there. It it's not, well, a .60 mounted on the Haast ought to be pretty awesome for ground attack purposes. The M2 .50 cal HMG was one of the longest-serving weapons of its time, and was extremely important to winning the war. Why? Because it gave aircraft, tanks, defensive positions, even infantry a hard-hitting weapon that was much more portable than the much larger 20mm cannon (And MUCH larger 20mm cannon ammunition) and therefore highly useful.

In other words, this is not going to be so completely non-portable and useless as you assume. There is a reason that nobody used coaxial autocannons---The space required for ammo is just ridiculous, and its not as good as a HMG at dealing with infantry in danger-close situations.

As far as sending things, I'm voting Salamander.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 20, 2017, 01:07:50 pm »

Japanese might like the magnetic detonator on the dolphin, even if the power is lacking.

ANyway, those are all good options.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 500