Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591206 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #2175 on: May 19, 2017, 10:22:17 am »

If they're smart, they'll push the mountain and plains this turn and take them.  Without focusing on sea this turn we have no hope of stopping them, and once those islands are gone they'll be gone forever.  We won't be able to take a small open island from a heavily entrenched sea power, let alone the natural fortifications of the mountain.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: May 19, 2017, 10:26:41 am »

If they're smart, they'll push the mountain and plains this turn and take them.  Without focusing on sea this turn we have no hope of stopping them, and once those islands are gone they'll be gone forever.  We won't be able to take a small open island from a heavily entrenched sea power, let alone the natural fortifications of the mountain.
To take the mountains and plains they need to push inland, though. Without naval support, their troops will be easy targets for our snipers.
...at least, I hope so.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: May 19, 2017, 10:29:49 am »

They applied their sea power when they took both sections of the plains, I don't see why it wouldn't happen to the mountains, too.

At any rate, if our power is in the air we should take advantage of that.  Our fighters have been outclassed since the game started and we botched our last attempt to build a better one.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: May 19, 2017, 10:32:34 am »

Those are reasons why I wanted a fighter last turn but thing is we can't allow ourself to switch strategy every turn. Either we focus on jungles or we focus on the long road of gaining naval superiority.

BTW, can you, please, stop reading their topic? You offering a fighter and  aircraft carrier before the turn happened is a clear indication that you knew what they did.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: May 19, 2017, 10:38:07 am »

Pretty sure someone had suggested a new fighter almost every turn this game. Evicted just happened to be the one this time.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: May 19, 2017, 10:38:58 am »

I guessed an obvious stratagy.  I've been speculating they'll build a carrier since we build one.  Hell, that's what I thought Project Railway was - Gunin can back me up on that.  We've been needing a new fighter to compete for a while and a new carrier to launch the Haast - I came up with the fighter last night since we were discussing building a new one in the discord and Powder Miner (I think?) asked for a new design.  The Tiger Star carrier is an idea I've had for a while since someone mentioned the name a few turns ago.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: May 19, 2017, 10:49:20 am »

They applied their sea power when they took both sections of the plains, I don't see why it wouldn't happen to the mountains, too.
Um. You may want to go back and read again:

Quote from: Last Winter, regarding Cannala attacking the plains
Cannala does not gain ground. [Cannala 1/3, Forenia 2/3]
Also,
Quote from: Last Summer, regarding Cannala attacking the plains, and gaining their first section
Next turn they will fight on the beach, with less naval support.

They have naval support when we try to drive them off, but not when they try to push further in. If they developed guns with much longer ranges, they might be able to use their advantage to bombard the interior of islands, but right now, they cannot.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: May 19, 2017, 10:58:09 am »

I guessed an obvious stratagy.  I've been speculating they'll build a carrier since we build one.  Hell, that's what I thought Project Railway was - Gunin can back me up on that.  We've been needing a new fighter to compete for a while and a new carrier to launch the Haast - I came up with the fighter last night since we were discussing building a new one in the discord and Powder Miner (I think?) asked for a new design.  The Tiger Star carrier is an idea I've had for a while since someone mentioned the name a few turns ago.

I dunno, there is the fact that you posted both carrier and fighter designs in the thread after the design and revision phase, when (I assume) the Cannalans have used their design and revision on the Santos. Which incidentally incorporates catapult and con tower as well. Bit suspicious?

United Forenia Forever!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: May 19, 2017, 11:10:06 am »

I dunno, there is the fact that you posted both carrier and fighter designs in the thread after the design and revision phase, when (I assume) the Cannalans have used their design and revision on the Santos. Which incidentally incorporates catapult and con tower as well. Bit suspicious?
A catapult and con tower are natural upgrades to a carrier. Coincidences happen. Now, if eS had a habit of suggesting things to counter what Cannala was doing more frequently, this suspicion might be warranted. But let's not get on his case about a single coincidence.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: May 19, 2017, 11:21:52 am »

...dude.  If I'd been pushing counters, then I'd have proposed a submarine.  I didn't look at their thread, I proposed a carrier that lets us use our existing planes and a plane to make up for the mis-roled Haast.

@Nuke: oh, neat.  I didn't notice that.  Still, their carrier will provide a destinctive bonus, and I'm not confident we can hold either territory.

Edit: actually, the more I think about it the more I like rocket artillery.  Someone add my vote to that, please.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:40:22 am by evictedSaint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: May 19, 2017, 11:50:03 am »

Quote from: Design Votes
0 Banana Salad Assault Carrier:
0 UFS-DD-40 Pattern A 'Ranger':
2 UFAF-LF40-S 'Zilant':  Lightforger, Andrea
6 Multiple Rocket Launcher UF-MRL-40 ‘SARUKH’: Mulisa, Kashyyk, Azzuro, NUKE9.13, strongpoint, evictedSaint
1 UF-40-H/MB-T 'Demolisher': Taricus
1 Design: UFAF-F39 'Fuckbringer': Powder Miner
-But name it the Birdeater (1): Powder Miner

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: May 19, 2017, 11:53:06 am »

7 Multiple Rocket Launcher UF-MRL-40 ‘SARUKH’: Mulisa, Kashyyk, Azzuro, NUKE9.13, strongpoint, evictedSaint, NAV

PAROI is having a good day!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2187 on: May 19, 2017, 12:12:50 pm »

8 Multiple Rocket Launcher UF-MRL-40 ‘SARUKH’: Mulisa, Kashyyk, Azzuro, NUKE9.13, strongpoint, evictedSaint, NAV, GUNINANRUNIN

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: May 19, 2017, 12:27:58 pm »

b-but
our air superiorityyyyyyyyyy

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: May 19, 2017, 12:34:06 pm »

We may benefit from just out-right building a jet rather than fiddling with the intermediary turboprop design. 

If our rocket artillery works out, give it to Germany, take the research credit, and burn it on putting out a jet-engine aircraft analogous to the me 262 (except designed solely as a fighter aircraft).

The me 262 had a lift-off speed of about 175-200 km/h.
A steam catapult can accelerate an aircraft to 170 km/h.
If a carrier is traveling into the wind, a longer-deck catapult-equipped carrier could concievably launch an early jet.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:39:13 pm by evictedSaint »
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 500