Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592207 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1939 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #1860 on: May 15, 2017, 06:10:03 pm »

INFANTRY QUALITY OF LIFE:
There are a number of small things our infantry have been requesting for a while now. By themselves, they are not worth our time. Combining them changes matters.
-Boots. A good pair of boots. Infantry love boots.
-Binoculars. We've enough experience with lenses that we can surely design a decent pair.
-Medkits. A little first aid can save hundreds of lives. More to the point, knowing that help is available improves morale.
-Sunglasses. You try shooting someone with the sun in your eyes.
-Bayonets. Sometimes you just need a knife. On the end of your gun.
-Better Parachutes: Basic steering and possibly higher weight capacity increase our paratroopers' self-reliance.
We shall spend our time trying to develop as many of these as possible.
-Entrenching tools (foldable/collapsible spades).
-Sandbags.
-Engineering equipment (more sandbags, dedicated tools like wire cutters, barbed wire, small axes, pickaxes, etc)
-Vests, bags, bandoliers, pockets and pouches, even elbow ones.
-Waterproof camo cloaks.
-Knee and elbow pads.
-Gloves.
-Fire retardant uniforms.
-Winter and tropical versions of the uniforms.
-Healthier and tastier rations.
-MagnesiumManganese steel helmets and vests
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:16:39 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: May 15, 2017, 06:16:16 pm »

INFANTRY QUALITY OF LIFE:
There are a number of small things our infantry have been requesting for a while now. By themselves, they are not worth our time. Combining them changes matters.
-Boots. A good pair of boots. Infantry love boots. Goal: excellent hiking boots with minor protection from shrapnel (As in, made of tough fibers. Not metal.)
-Binoculars. We've enough experience with lenses that we can surely design a decent pair.
-Medkits. A little first aid can save hundreds of lives. More to the point, knowing that help is available improves morale.
-Sunglasses. You try shooting someone with the sun in your eyes.
-Bayonets. Sometimes you just need a knife. On the end of your gun. A big knife.
-Better Parachutes: Basic steering and possibly higher weight capacity increase our paratroopers' self-reliance.
-Entrenching tools (foldable/collapsible spades). Double as highly effective melee/throwing weapons. Just ask the Spetsnaz. Also, foxholes are good for paratroopers.
-Sandbags. Well duh. Is this even necessary?
-Engineering equipment (more sandbags, dedicated tools like wire cutters, barbed wire, small axes, pickaxes, etc). Aimed at improving the quality of our minefields, traps, and defensive positions.
-Vests, bags, bandoliers, pockets and pouches, even elbow ones Carry capacity for soldiers---more ammo means more bang-bang-bang-bang-bang means more kills, means more survivability, means a place to put everything we're about to drop on them
-Waterproof camo cloaks.
-Knee and elbow pads.
-Gloves, fire resistant and capable of fast-roping or rock-climbing or similar hard-wearing activities.
-Fire retardant uniforms. We've got flamethrowers running around here!
-Winter and tropical versions of the uniforms.
-Healthier and tastier rations. Include extra alcohol supplies for rear-echelon positions, for soldiers on rest/leave. A well-fed soldier is a hard fighter. Also, drunkards don't bother thinking about war, which means we retain patriotism longer. Not sure of too many benefits of that....
-Magnesium steel infantry armor. Can't kill what they can't kill. Wait a minute....

----------Corrected that to "infantry" armor, since that's what you were talking about. I assumed you didn't want to get it mixed up with tank armor. Made various other clarifications and lame jokes.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:18:09 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: May 15, 2017, 06:18:08 pm »

Haha I edited it to say manganese steel and helmets and vests before I saw your post  :P
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: May 15, 2017, 06:18:41 pm »

Took me too long. Ah well. I still have more jokes than your version  :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: May 15, 2017, 06:38:48 pm »

6 Finish Project Blood Eagle (Fix ERA): GUNINANRUNIN,Khan Boyzitbig, Piratejoe, Kashyyk, Stabby, Mulisa
6 Fix the Radar: Madman198237, Wolfhunter107, evictedSaint, Powder Miner, Chiefwaffles, Taricus
1 Project Tauchpanzer ( deep wading): NAV
1 Infantry QoL (No parachutes): NUKE9.13
2 Infantry QoL (kot's version): Andrea, Baffler
1 AS-RPG39-B: VoidSlayer
1 UF-ART-MH-B2M2 Destroyer: Strongpoint
1 UF-AC20-39: RAM
By my reckoning, a 20mm round should be able to penetrate the 10-24mm rating of light armour, with some difficulty... Putting this in an automatic infantry weapon should make it abundant enough to overcome its difficulty in this field. That should act as a very strong deterrent against enemy overgunned light vehicles. It would also work to improve the performance of a great many vehicles that use the 20mm weapon, with a revision to adapt them to the new weapon. Could someone please comment upon the flaws of my revision. I would rather like to know if anything specific is overly ambitious or if there are any obvious flaws in it that make it unappealing.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:44:07 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: May 15, 2017, 06:49:20 pm »

The biggest flaw I can see: We don't need it. Right now, a radar revision would be MUCH better, allowing us to maximize our air advantage. The 20mm works fine now, but in a couple of turns, once we get our paratroopers up to scratch, having a heavier weapon like that become modular (i.e., can be dropped with paratroopers strapped to a couple different soldiers to take the weight) would be a big bonus. But, right now, I don't think its necessary.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: May 15, 2017, 06:52:54 pm »

Misposted, nevermind this
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: May 15, 2017, 07:07:14 pm »

5 Finish Project Blood Eagle (Fix ERA): GUNINANRUNIN,Khan Boyzitbig, Kashyyk, Stabby, Mulisa
7 Fix the Radar: Madman198237, Wolfhunter107, evictedSaint, Powder Miner, Chiefwaffles, Taricus, Piratejoe
Screw it, better get better radar or on par radar as the cannalians.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: May 15, 2017, 07:11:27 pm »

Note that radar is new tech. It will get easier to play with as it matures. Of course, this mostly applies to aeroplane radar, as detecting ships through the fog would be glorious, but it is something to consider that older technology is easier to work with...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1869 on: May 15, 2017, 07:21:04 pm »

4 Finish Project Blood Eagle (Fix ERA): Khan Boyzitbig, Kashyyk, Stabby, Mulisa
8 Fix the Radar: Madman198237, Wolfhunter107, evictedSaint, Powder Miner, Chiefwaffles, Taricus, Piratejoe, GUNINANRUNIN

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: May 15, 2017, 07:52:33 pm »

4 Finish Project Blood Eagle (Fix ERA): Khan Boyzitbig, Kashyyk, Stabby, Mulisa
9 Fix the Radar: Madman198237, Wolfhunter107, evictedSaint, Powder Miner, Chiefwaffles, Taricus, Piratejoe, GUNINANRUNIN, NAV
0 Project Tauchpanzer ( deep wading):

For Radar our priorities are 1: Detecting ships, 2: size and 3: range, right?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:55:33 pm by NAV »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: May 15, 2017, 07:59:22 pm »

No. Range, then detecting ships. No mention of size. This is only a revision, after all.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: May 15, 2017, 08:18:02 pm »

It needs to detect ships or there's no point in doing it this turn.  We're trying to beat the fog, remember?  Otherwise they'll wreck our ships the same way they did last year.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 15, 2017, 08:21:34 pm »

That's the thing---if we get range, then we beat their aircraft on clear days. If we get ships, we lose to their aircraft almost every day. If we get both, well, then there's no point in this discussion, is there?

However, this is focused on range first, ship-detection second.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: May 15, 2017, 08:23:37 pm »

Hm...well, if we take advantage of the range boosting trick we noticed last year, boosting range should be easy.  I'd really like to be able to detect their fleets...
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 500