Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 592191 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #1695 on: May 15, 2017, 01:27:42 am »

Also, i will remind everyone that we don't have to spend the credit now, we can save it.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: May 15, 2017, 01:29:00 am »

Whoa whoa whoa, no, our air superiority is in danger and that's the biggest linchpin of our entire strategy, waiting a turn to secure it is a very poor idea.

I think if we should take anything away from the last few turns, it's that planes will only get us so far while the Cannalans are well on their way to passing us in ground tech, and have long since passed us in naval tech. We need to branch out and keep up in other fields if we're going to stop them from advancing past the jungle and cutting off our fuel supplies. Here's something ambitious, to make the most of the research credit.
But our air munitions are big bonuses for us on both land and at sea, so what you're doing is basically saying "let's get a fresh start!" while throwing your arms joyously in the air, instead of blocking the brick heading for your face (the danger to air superiority).

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: May 15, 2017, 01:30:02 am »

Quote from: Design Votes
4 UFAF-1938-W 'Haast'(Using a research credit.): Lightforger, evictedSaint, Powder Miner, Poiratejoe
0 The UF-SHB-39 Ice Giant:
1 UF-F-39 "Yastreb"(Using a research credit): Mulisa
0 UF-MA-Ta/Fa "Cacophonous Pseudonym":
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: May 15, 2017, 01:51:54 am »

-snip-

As Light has addressed my concerns with the Haast, I retract my design proposal.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:12:05 am by evictedSaint »

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: May 15, 2017, 02:00:03 am »

Ok, so in discord their has been a debate going on about if the Haast should carry bombs. The basic argument is A: adding the bomb carry weight to the Haast is going to make it worse and B: even if it does carry bombs(like nearly every fighter did) that's too much. The thing is they are right and by right I mean technically right. It will make it worse in the same way driving with a dog in your car makes it 'worse'. Even fairly light fighter still weighed tons and the total weight of the supports need to carry a metric ton of bombs is under a fifty kilograms. On part B: this is a fighter armed with a massive super-charged fuel-injected V-12 it's not strapped for power. Sensei doesn't use specific numbers because, he's not a fool but, it's going to be making around 1,400-1,800 horse power. That is on par with many mid-war fighters that carried a metric ton of bombs. The Corsair carried two metric tons of bombs and was a great fighter as well.

On that note let's talk about torpedo bombers. Early in WW2 they where normally light bombers as early fighter couldn't carry torpedoes that were effective against ships. As the war when on people figured out that since you don't need a bomb bay for a torpedo bomber you could just mount a huge engine into a fighter and use that as a torpedo bomber. A funny thing happened here with these planes(when not loaded with torpedoes), they worked better then the more modestly engined fighters they were based off. In the end people just stopped making pure torpedo bombers and instead made these new fighters with huge engines to serve both roles. Let's skip that middle bit eh?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:24:34 am by Light forger »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: May 15, 2017, 02:03:03 am »

3 UFAF-1938-W 'Haast'(Using a research credit.): Lightforger, evictedSaint, Powder Miner
1 UFAF-1938-W 'Haast'(Without using a resarch credit.): Piratejoe
I feel it, we will get a 6, let us save the research credit for project blood eagle
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: May 15, 2017, 02:04:57 am »

"I feel it, we will get a 6" doesn't sound awfully convincing to me.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: May 15, 2017, 02:10:45 am »

3 UFAF-1938-W 'Haast'(Using a research credit.): Lightforger, evictedSaint, Powder Miner
1 UFAF-1938-W 'Haast'(Without using a resarch credit.): Piratejoe
1 UFAF-F39 'Birdeater' Pattern A (No Research Credit): Chiefwaffles
Definitely don't think the research credit is a good idea here.
We need a good air superiority fighter. Bombing isn't really an issue here; we need to keep our bombers safe and their bombers away and that's exactly what the Birdeater does.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 15, 2017, 02:12:21 am »

So... Nobody is interested in my insane suggestion for an aeroplane that can be converted from a dedicated torpedo bomber into a sort-of not-terrible heavy fighter in a matter of hours, geting us both in one design and setting us on the path for many future designs in the future with this same wonderous technology? *Sighs* Some people just hate omnimechs...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: May 15, 2017, 02:13:08 am »

4 UFAF-F39 'Haast':
    3 Using a research credit: Lightforger, evictedSaint, Powder Miner
    1 Without using a research credit: Piratejoe

Sorry, waffles.  I've retracted my design proposal.  The Haast is the better choice.

To quote Sensei: "Pro Tip: Combination fighter-bombers are normally assumed to bring the correct loadout for the job, EG; no bombs if they're intercepting, lots of bombs if they're bombing, and if necessary fly in mixed squads of loaded/unloaded planes."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:16:17 am by evictedSaint »

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 15, 2017, 02:15:36 am »

Quick note about some albeit small changes to the Haast. The name was updated to match our system and, some minor changes suggest by evictedSaint were added. Which were an improved oxygen system and specifying manganese-alloy armor for the pilot's 'tub'.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: May 15, 2017, 02:16:10 am »

Well now I just feel betrayed.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: May 15, 2017, 02:17:54 am »

*walks up to Waffles in a dark alleyway opening a trenchcoat slightly*

"Psst, kid? Wanna buy some Motorjet engine?"
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: May 15, 2017, 02:18:08 am »

sorry :c

As much as I'd love to have another one of my designs get voted for, I think Light's idea is a solid one that could result in a fighter that lasts us till the end of the war (thus saving us from having to spend a Revision to upgrade it like we did with the Stinger, or a Design to build an entirely new dive/torpedo bomber or fighter).

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: May 15, 2017, 02:45:53 am »

4 UFAF-F39 'Haast':
    3 Using a research credit: Lightforger, evictedSaint, Powder Miner
    1 Without using a research credit: Piratejoe
1 UF-MA-Ta/Fa "Cacophonous Pseudonym": RAM
Voting for myself because all the cool kids do it. And I am clearly one of the cool kids...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 500