Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Why do you fail to post your action within 72 hours of each update

Not even bothering to check the game thread each day to see if it updated
- 0 (0%)
Didn't even bother to subscribe to the game thread
- 0 (0%)
Waited to what other players would do first, and failed to post myself (This is a big no no)
- 0 (0%)
Mandatory real life events that render the internet inaccessible to you for over 72 consecutive hours
- 1 (50%)
Is one of the few players who actually post their action consistently
- 1 (50%)
I don't even care anymore (Or never cared)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: Dryad Rage: A game about growing a tree. OOC Thread.  (Read 25133 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dryad Rage: A game about growing a tree. OOC Thread.
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2017, 12:16:57 am »

I'd appreciate it if you do not post in the game thread unless there is actually a specific player you are hoping to catch out. I'm going to make you refer to the specific player in your post as well.

Here's a tip for all you would be usurpers out there. There are exactly six players in the game as of this moment. Also, your replacement post doesn't count if it was even one minute less than 72 hours after the most recent turn started.

I am also going to add this information to the first post of the OOC thread. This is important stuff.

Quick recap:
1. Your post must be at least 72 hours after the last update or it will not count
2. Your post must include the player who did not post their action for the turn
3. Your post is no good if another waitlister beats you to it. (Unless they were earlier than 72 hours)
4. You must be on the actual waitlist before you post.
5. The slow player can potentially save themself by posting before the GM actually gets around to processing the turn even if a waitlister is trying to usurp them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:25:56 am by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2017, 07:51:09 am »

Hmm. Tempted to make a defense game inspired by this.

(With a different theme than driads and trees, and using mechanics more from my own bag)

In the event that noone jumped in long enough for me to be PMd though I'd still be interested in playing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:53:18 am by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring lovecraft antagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2017, 10:34:30 pm »

My charicter sheet has gotten to be several pages long(on an android screen). I wonder if I'll finish?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:16:33 pm by Evonix »
Has descended into madness

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2017, 07:01:57 pm »

As a reminder, it is the players responsibility to check to see if I updated the game or not. If nobody posts for 72 hours after a new update, then it can and quite possibly might be possible for literally every player to get replaced at the same time.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2017, 05:23:48 pm »

If some of our players do not post in the next 24 hours. (Just a few minutes longer than that as of this post actually), then anyone on the waitlist can potentially replace them. Assuming they are good enough at reading to understand the rules for doing so of course.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2017, 06:27:15 pm »

- A player on the waitlist can take the place of an active player if they post in the game thread with some very specific conditions. In order for this to work, it needs to have been at least 72 hours since the last turn was posted by the GM (If your post is even a second too early it will not count, and only one player can replace a single person which will be the first one to post AFTER the 72 hour period). The post must include the identity of a current player who has not yet posted any action for the current turn. If you do it right and the player fails to post before the GM gets around to updating, then you will be off the waitlist and into the game at the slow player's expense!
Error encountered in statement, unable to parse.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2017, 11:56:31 am »

I suspect I was not clear enough about the rules for replacing a player. They are VERY fickle by design.

- If you post to replace someone even a second before 72 hours have elapsed, it does not count. Don't post earlier than that, I don't want a bunch of fail replace posts littering the IC thread.
- You must specify a specific player to replace. You can't use a generic post to replace whoever doesn't post.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2017, 03:25:57 pm »

Hikari heads north. Please don't replace me, Crazyabe. My Focus Firelight would be useful in the Winter for melting snow..or if it gets really dark, I can keep the tree supplied with ample sunshine. In 2-3 turns. If some bear or something comes rampaging, I could calm it down and keep the tree safe.
I wouldn't worry about it this time. It is not yet 72 hours since the previous update, though it is getting close and more prompt posts would be desirable. And yes, I a gree, Hikari's abilities are awesome and I would much sooner replace a tier 2 than Hikari given the choice.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2017, 03:45:15 pm »

If you always post within the first 72 hours of each update, replacing you is impossible unless you specifically tell me that you want to be replaced. No promises if you wait 72 hours and 1 second though.

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2017, 05:23:43 pm »

Finally completed the charicter sheet, whent slightly beyond reasonable length.

Name: Gruum-da (or Gid(GD) for short, will also answer to "You there!")
Appearance: While most dryads are closer to human than tree this one is far more like a plant than a person. Gruum-da is reminiscent of a conical bush covered with leaves (a bit like maple or oak) like scales on a fish or leaves in a leaf skirt. As such e is entirely unrelated to the concept of gender and uses pronouns derived from e(got the idea from Orion’s arm, I don't like “they” because I like having 3rd person singular.) but doesn't really care about pronouns so use whatever. Gid's head is es core despite it being in the top of the cone and in theory can regrow from just it, like a tuber, but e would rather not test. The face is the only part not covered by the leaves and looks like a very simple unvarnished carved wood mask, the face has two eyes that consist of two shallow circular indentations with with the inside being slightly convex, there are two thick deeper horizontal slits that go between both sides of each eye, another larger slit is below them like a mouth. With es slow movement the whole effect is that Gruum-da seems to always be asleep, while e acts it too this is simply because es attention is spread almost evenly over es area of effect(see nature skillset) and pays no more attention to what's directly in front of em than some bugs and rocks near es edge of perception. Gruum-da is actually quite intelligent and this even spread of attention is not out of disinterest but is simply how e is. Despite all this or perhaps because of it e is in many ways one of the most sociable dryads, es natural mysteriousness makes it easy to idealise em, In short e is more likely than most to start a cult. Beneath the cone there is a fractal rootlike structure that e uses for walking, it first branches from the head then a bit further down branches again and so on, although they bend only slightly and slowly the movements add up and allows slow, constant movement. If e was tipped over(as occasionally but rarely happens) it would look as if the bottom was made of hundreds of millipede legs, also it takes ages for Gid to get back upright so e would prefer that not to happen either, it’s sort of sad to watch honestly, like a turtle trying to get upright or an RC car tipped on it’s side. If e has an alignment to a season it would be spring.

Skillset (Nature): Growth.
The words constant change and growth defines Gruum-da’s every aspect in one way or another, constant movement with constant speed for example. But the most palpable manifestation is the area of effect or area of influence. Within the surrounding area e causes things to change and grow at a constant rate in the manner that e desires. At the start this only exstends a meter or so but fades evenly rather having an absolute border, it is also quite slow at the start, things only change at around the speed of a fastish plant(the fastest bamboo can grow almost a meter a day.) This is also es only sense, at least at first it lacks the precision of many other senses but it can detect small scale patterns if they are repeated over a large enough area so e can tell the chemical makeup of rocks but not the shape of very small pebbles, it also means e can “hear”(badly), “smell” but not see because photons don't stick around, as a consequence of that Gid’s awareness of things outside of e’s area of influence is mostly memory based. As Gruum-da grows this becomes more precise, faster, more complex, the nessesary scale of patterns to be detected shrinks and how complex they can be grows. Also e must use this and cannot leave something unchanged in e’s area, if nothing’s specified this defaults to complex etchings on non-living substances such as rock and faster and more aesthetically pleasing growing plants, animate things don’t change at all as is normal. Gameplay wise this means that instead of dividing power to tasks instead Gruum-da splits up area dedicated to tasks with the max effect across the whole area being the same as the max power of a dryad with normal mechanics, possibly a bit higher as it is almost never applicable.

Skillset (Combat): Indirect
Or to put it another way, no. Gid is pretty useless in direct combat, perhaps as a club for someone? A spiky stick would probably be better and would be vastly preferred by Gid. But e still has some slight use, particularly triggering premade traps more reliably than tripwires and the like.

Skillset (Non Combat): Logistics/fungi
Although less obvious than plants and often thought of as just a subset of them fungi are perhaps the most interesting of the flora fauna fungi trifica (Sereusly they are amazing, do yourself a favour and look up the wikipedia page). The dryad tree has like any respectable tree has many fungal symbiotes and Gruum-da is among other things in charge of managing them, alone they just do what is directly nessesary for the Tree and themselves but beyond that they just sort of sit there without ambition, Gruum-da can fix that.
Beyond that this skillset covers the various small scale changes that don't really add or change anything but instead support, improve, supply and reinforce what’s already there.

Skillset (Locked): will PM

Abilities:

-Build: The most straightforward use of Gruum-da’s power. This ability simply moves mass around building houses or digging trenches. It can also alter plants but not into any structure alien to the plant, this means with trees and such e can make almost any shape but with for instance dandelions e can’t do much at all due to their very definite and unvarying forms. This ability can’t work in such a way as to exert pressure but can remove the obstruction as it’s working. Dead materials grow slower than plants do. The materials need to be common in the general area.

-Annoy: While Gid is pretty useless in combat there’s a great deal that can be done by adjusting the texture of surfaces, this can cause enemies to slip on recently reliable terrain and stick to once smooth surfaces. In addition while e cannot affect creatures physically to any noticeable degree e can affect movement slightly, the net effect is that while Gid is using Annoy any monsters within es area of effect have a penalty to dexterity and luck.

-Spread mycelium: Gruum-da can cause the mycelium to spread in es AoE, it is necessary to use this at least once in a tile before any changes more than a few centimetres in scale as Gid relies on the mycelium to move mass around, probably more than once at the start Because the tiles are probably larger than a meter or so. The exceptions to this are around the tree as the mycelium is already there and large plants already have ways to move mass around and internal stores. Even though it's only necessary once if it’s used longer in an area there’ll be other changes such as simple foundations, denser mycelium and pre-prepared material stores.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:41:42 pm by Evonix »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2017, 06:06:02 pm »

(Maybe if e forgets to PM the locked skillset, I can mark the sheet as invalid without the need to actually read all those massive text walls)

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2017, 10:26:59 pm »

I make text walls of the HIGHEST QUALITY! How dare you INSULT my wall of text POWER!

Pming asap

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2017, 11:41:18 pm »

As a tree action, can other dryads downvote a dryad's Replace Dryad action?
Read the First Post!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 26, 2017, 12:10:04 am »

The ability "Spread mycelium" does not make sense to me. It needs to be changed, or at least re-worded.

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 26, 2017, 08:48:33 am »

What's the problem? What did I forget to write?

Mycelium is the main body of fungi and consists of microscopic fibers in a web that can stretch for miles(depending on the variety), the fruiting bodys(mushrooms)are relitivaly unimportant. If you're interested.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27