Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing rods  (Read 1011 times)

aTinTeardrop

Fishing rods
« on: April 29, 2017, 02:07:03 pm »

Simply: will we ever have to produce fishing rods for fishing? It seems to me that we should have to do that.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing rods
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 02:07:33 pm »

I like the idea of having fishing rods as a requirement or giving a boon to the catch, or even bait, but I can't imagine much more gameplay it would add to DF, as it stands. If Toady does a fishing overhaul or when he starts development on the sailing arc; maybe we'll see things such as deep sea fishing - which might require something like a net or deep sea fishing rods.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 07:13:33 am »

Fishermen that are doing it for a living don't screw around with a pole. Traps and nets are more useful.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

aTinTeardrop

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:38:05 am »

Other ways of catching fish would be interesting. I don't know exactly how the game handles it now, but catching fish with your bare hands could of course be a thing as well; as a perhaps dangerous way to catch fish before you've gained the equipment needed.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 11:44:52 am »

Other ways of catching fish would be interesting. I don't know exactly how the game handles it now, but catching fish with your bare hands could of course be a thing as well; as a perhaps dangerous way to catch fish before you've gained the equipment needed.

They dangle their beards into the water.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 03:39:54 pm »

Erzum eyed the old-timer, wondering whether he should say something. It was just that some things were best not noticed. Urist wasn't muttering to himself, but the old trapper was doing something with his beard... something very different.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 10:36:42 pm »

Tickling trout isn't dangerous, just time-consuming.

I always assumed they caught them like bears catch salmon in the North American continent on David Attenborough. And the bear in the Disney movie Brave.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:43:39 pm »

Tools for certain jobs in general would be pretty nice.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 07:48:48 pm »

Tickling trout isn't dangerous, just time-consuming.
Tell that to the widow of Urist CarpDrowned.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »

DF is culturally non specific, so fishing could be done with poles, nets, spears, dynamite, ect. I think that its abstracted that a dorf has a stick and some beard hair on one end or a stick with points on one end (and endless martial trances) stabbing into the water.

Tools for jobs are obviously in the works. You at least need a sharp object to craft in Adv mode.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 11:55:37 am »

How about...

1. No Tool = Low chance of catching one fish
2. Fishing Pole/Spear = Good chance of catching one fish, chance of breaking based on craftsdwarfship x size of fish
3. Net = chance of catching multiple fish, subject to wear & tear.
4. Trap = Building, req. Fishing labor, catches one fish at a time without consuming a dwarf's time beyond constructing/emptying.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 01:40:33 pm »

How about...

2. Fishing Pole/Spear = Good chance of catching one fish, chance of breaking based on craftsdwarfship x size of fish
4. Trap = Building, req. Fishing labor, catches one fish at a time without consuming a dwarf's time beyond constructing/emptying.

One problem, skill>tools in DF, so tools would only exacerbate the pre-existing problem of dwarves overfishing every source of water until they are exhausted.  If Toady ever decides to do a re-work of skill usage to require tools however, that would be good.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:42:45 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 09:42:34 am »

How about...

Good list.

To this we could add emptying ponds.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."