Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big weapons for dwarfs  (Read 706 times)

tovRobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Big weapons for dwarfs
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:56:55 am »

How can i mod the game that the dwarves can use all the big weapons like two-handed sword, halberd or maul?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Big weapons for dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:05:17 am »

You could make the dwarves bigger, but I'd make the big weapons easier to handle. Edit item_weapon.txt (make sure you edit the file in the right place, each save has its own raws) and knock the [TWO_HANDED:xxx] values on the offending weapons down to, I dunno, the same as a battle axe I guess.

tovRobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 04:40:23 pm »

You could make the dwarves bigger, but I'd make the big weapons easier to handle. Edit item_weapon.txt (make sure you edit the file in the right place, each save has its own raws) and knock the [TWO_HANDED:xxx] values on the offending weapons down to, I dunno, the same as a battle axe I guess.
Thanks :) But i have one more question. What is this [TWO_HANDED:xxx] in fact? If i change it to, as you sad, battle axe, then what it will afect? Just the ability to use by dwarfs or something else to?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 07:09:29 pm »

That stat on a weapon is its handling difficulty, basically, measured in the same units creature size is. It's the you-must-be-this-tall-to-ride limitation for being able to waggle it around with only one hand. If you don't measure up, you're stuck with both.

Toady had the wisdom to know that you can have weapons that something with a small stature and short arms just can't use properly, like long-hafted halberds and great flails and the like. That's the sort of property it's meant to simulate.

tovRobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 06:45:18 am »

Great! Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted. :) Because im my opinion this is a bit silly, because real weapons weigh no more than 6kg. So i wanted to change that for my game.