Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239383 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #780 on: January 03, 2018, 09:13:35 pm »

Sorry about the double post. I made some shitty photoshops with me and Zefer's color suggestions. Just to help the visual learners.

Spoiler: red+gold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: green+black (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: purple+gold (click to show/hide)
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 03, 2018, 09:58:28 pm »

(Zefer is a hunk)   

It's the goatee.
It's always the goatee.
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #782 on: January 04, 2018, 09:15:48 am »

Oh my god, this is so adorably cute ! I love it ! Thanks a lot for the story !
Also take your time, next update will cover one main event of this second part of the year. Only one real big thing happened, but it's a really big big thing, final boss type event. So take your time, I have some more pages to make on that, and I want to redraw Donu and Zefer as a way to say thank you, and this will time some time ^^

For the colors, I like the purple one. Maybe we can replace the yellow by orange, to avoid a too big "in your face" contrast, else this is my favourite so far

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 04, 2018, 10:16:55 am »

Sorry about the double post. I made some shitty photoshops with me and Zefer's color suggestions. Just to help the visual learners.

Spoiler: red+gold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: green+black (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: purple+gold (click to show/hide)
Amazing designs, these will definitely strike fear into the hearts of many.

On Cathar's end, Redraw them how exactly?
"Men! On my count!"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 04, 2018, 10:33:41 am »

For the colors, I like the purple one. Maybe we can replace the yellow by orange, to avoid a too big "in your face" contrast, else this is my favourite so far

In heraldry, the point of contrast is so the banner is visible and recognizable in bad weather conditions 'v.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 04, 2018, 01:55:16 pm »

I really like the white gems/pearls in the crown design for Mong Kima. I think Purple/Orange/White is the current favorite in terms of color.

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #786 on: January 04, 2018, 06:13:28 pm »

In heraldry, the point of contrast is so the banner is visible and recognizable in bad weather conditions 'v.

You're right but it kinda make my point :D
In low visibility conditions, human eyes lose its ability to see saturation before it loses its ability to see luminosity. In low light situation, the orange and the white would still be somewhat recognizable, but the purple would appear pitch black (it's a question of color luminosity, I can show you if you want). So in this situation it's necessary to distinguish the white from the secondary color, because you will only be able to distinguish the two.

Orange and white are more distinct than white and yellow (orange being a less luminous color), so in low light situation they would fare better imho.

But the real point is, they need to look cool. When the men are under the flag, they must think "fuck yeah, I'm under the flag"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:15:18 pm by Cathar »

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 04, 2018, 06:35:15 pm »

You're right but it kinda make my point :D
In low visibility conditions, human eyes lose its ability to see saturation before it loses its ability to see luminosity. In low light situation, the orange and the white would still be somewhat recognizable, but the purple would appear pitch black (it's a question of color luminosity, I can show you if you want). So in this situation it's necessary to distinguish the white from the secondary color, because you will only be able to distinguish the two.

Orange and white are more distinct than white and yellow (orange being a less luminous color), so in low light situation they would fare better imho.

But the real point is, they need to look cool. When the men are under the flag, they must think "fuck yeah, I'm under the flag"

Not to mention making the enemies fear our army.
"Men! On my count!"

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #788 on: January 04, 2018, 06:40:01 pm »

Yes ! They start wavering a bit when the initial charge sends their front row flying but a cool flag is a way to tell them "asskicking's on its way, you can start soiling your loincloths now"

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 04, 2018, 07:39:23 pm »

For your banner sketch, I like the idea of it being a dark red banner with a silver crown.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 05, 2018, 05:49:45 pm »

All this talk of making a flag got me thinking/googling info on heraldry and flags.

I found this cool diagram thing, and was wondering if we wanted to create a royal crest for Prince Ryukan?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #791 on: January 05, 2018, 08:02:05 pm »

I'm totally up for it, we have some neat animals and items that could make a good crest - maybe capybaras as supporters, raven as a top, a gugirrane helmet, we already have a motto, maybe some shallow waters as a compartment...? I don't really know the traditions/standards for royal crest, but by all means feel free to propose, I'm all for it

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #792 on: January 06, 2018, 06:13:29 am »

Double post is go ! Time to awkwardly waddle our way toward the end of the story !

Music!

Early winter 140

I don't know if power corrupts or if it only magnifies the darkness in people's heart, but I know that General Tis' soul was black as a starless night. Seventeen years ago, after only a few years of service, after a trip to the south west of the country, he changed drastically.

I don't know what he saw in the Tooth of Tussing mountain range, but it did killed something inside him. Since then, his own death has been on his mind constantly. He would not talk about anything else, dabbling into strange alchemistic experiments, trying unusucessfully his hand at the black arts. It was always suspected that the abrubt declaration of war against the dwarven kingdom of Desor-Usol was a consequence of his strange obession, and today, I am inclined to think that.

Tis has been using every ounce of power he had in the pursuit of his goal, and as our war leader, that meant our very lives. For seventeen years it seems, the history of the Nation of Pearls can be resumed by this single little sentence : we tried to survive our leader's passion.

Every battle we fought, every soul we took, every suffering we endured can be ultimately tied to the General's quest. The construction of Watershield itself, has the Crazed Conflict not escalated into a worldwide war, would probably have been unecessary.

However, when news reached us that death eventually took its toll on the old man, I felt no joy... nor pity for that matter. I felt relief. Maybe we're at the dawn of a new age, where Mong Kima will be able to prosper. With the old man dead, maybe we we can start to sign peace with our neighbours, and the Riverguard won't be necessary anymore.

After a lifetime of war, maybe I can finally rest.

However, the new from his death has come alongside another, of equal importance.

Odlug is the beast that destroyed the old capitale city, forcing the royal family into exile in Hazelslide. His claws made of bronze are tainted by the blood of our beloved king, Peklod Balancedbitten. Ever since he destroyed our historical capitale city, Odlug has been leaving us in peace, and preocuppied itself, on occasion, by slaughtering the people of other kingdoms, and he has since then being of no bother to us.

However this time, he's aiming for the royale family once again, and we're on his way. We have no choice but to stop him definitely, here and now. We deployed immediately to meet him in the field.

Music

This may be our final battle. Odlug is known to be invulnerable to our weaponry, and no amount of skill can make up for it. However, we said we would fight, and we'll certainely not back up from a fight with our king's murderer.

We fight for something bigger than ourselves, bigger than Watershield, maybe bigger than Mong Kima. And if it means we have to fight a god, so be it.
We're fighting for mankind.

We deployed in front of him. In my men's face, I would see neither fear nor hesitation. We all signed up for this, and we're all ready for the ultimate sacrifice.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 06, 2018, 06:23:43 am »

* Haspen prepares mountains of popcorn.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 06, 2018, 08:21:06 am »

>Send Zefer at him.
>Zefer can lift this mean mother-lover without hesitation.
>on second thought maybe not.

The tragedy thirty-some-odd years ago won't go unpunished, that much can be said. But it comes to times like this when we can hope and pray for a miracle, something to distract this monstrosity.

Diary of Zefer Scribefondled,

Peace, a concept I wasn't birthed from, a word not in my dictionary. It was made one day this winter when our great general died, some say after immorality...We breathed lightly until the tremors started, a disease thirty years ago came back, a tall malign form of pure Bronze and a corrupted soul come back to haunt us.
Diary, if it comes to it, I may die here. I just want this last page to say thus.
I die for my kingdom.
I love you Donu....I always will.
This possible final fight will be for Old man Peklod, For The river guard, for Hazelside, for Donu....

For Mong Kima!
-Zefer
"Men! On my count!"
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 111