Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 242030 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #945 on: February 18, 2018, 09:51:52 pm »

This is hilarious.  Your choices in conversation make for a wonderful overall story.  And Cathar's interjections make this story waaay more intertwined than I was anticipating.  If you're going to go history-diving after every name, I can see it continuing to be wacky for a long time to come.

Well, unless the game goes all Dwarf Fortress on our intrepid main character and ends with a single arrow.  But other than that.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: February 18, 2018, 11:21:58 pm »

Awesome story so far. The development between you, your companion and the random travelers you meet is great.
We sought out Ogzu's camp.  Can't have anyone sending assassins after us and getting away with it.
He seemed to be alone...

also Cathar.... I feel dumb for only just now noticing this. Great storytelling!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The story of Stran and Mudung is a greek tragedy. Never saw Mudung, but if he's on your way don't hesitate to pay him a visit

Sire Knight said it best
This is hilarious.  Your choices in conversation make for a wonderful overall story.  And Cathar's interjections make this story waaay more intertwined than I was anticipating.  If you're going to go history-diving after every name, I can see it continuing to be wacky for a long time to come.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #947 on: February 19, 2018, 01:27:56 am »

After the fight with Ogzu, Sisha and Kofi made their way toward the city of Playeddear.  The sun was beginning to set, so they decided to make camp in the wilderness.

This turned out to be a mistake.

A large pack of hyenas attacked, and in the ensuing chaos the two were separated.  It probably would have gone better had not an unlucky bite tore Sisha's hand open, causing her to drop her weapon.  Beset by four snarling predators, Sisha managed to fend off all but one, which continued to tear at her, until she was nearly helpless.

Moments before the creature tore out her throat, a silver scimitar flashed in the darkness, cleaving the animal's head in two.

Spoiler: Took you long enough (click to show/hide)

The adventurers finally arrived at Playeddear.  At the north of the city was a great library, the Knowing Orbs-Home.  Sisha, who had learned to read from an early age and taught the value of books, was overwhelmed by the sudden wealth of knowledge that lay open to her.
Spoiler: Kofi did not agree (click to show/hide)
Not wanting to let the knowledge go to waste, Sisha took out two books that interested her: Your Own Story Book, a book on writing an autobiography for adventurers, and The Secret of the Injury, a book on treating injuries (her own still fresh in her mind).

It had been a while since she last had a good drink, so Sisha made her way toward the local tavern, The Sugary Buttery Garnishes, where Sisha brought up a concern that she had overheard being discussed among the librarians.
Spoiler: Another Tavern Crawl (click to show/hide)
"Look, I just want a good, old-fashioned monster hunt.  None of this 'oh, you can't kill me, I'm a beloved member of my community' garbage.  Let's go kill a cyclops."

Spoiler: And so they did. (click to show/hide)

On their way back to tell the librarians the good news, the adventurers were ambushed in an alleyway right outside the Church of Saints.
Spoiler: Bad move (click to show/hide)
"Now look what you've done.  How are we supposed to figure out where she came from now?"

The Church itself, interestingly enough, was ruined.  Curious, Sisha looked inside.  An extensive catacomb system still lay beneath the Church's remains.
At the bottom of the catacombs, they found a tomb.
Sisha suddenly realized her clothing was in tatters from the long journey, and was covered in blood.  There was surprisingly little access to goblin-sized gear out in the open - most of their findings went to Kofi.
"Let's go find me some new clothes."

EDIT:

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #948 on: February 19, 2018, 05:17:44 am »

Oh my god, those are still the same goblins you took the weapon from, a while ago :D Poor dudes
There are so many scenes I want to illustrate, I'll have a busy evening. This is great !

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: February 19, 2018, 09:01:06 am »

This is about to turn dark.

On the way back north, only a short distance from Relicfaint, the adventurers encountered a familiar face - none other than Ador.  It seems that he was ousted from his home at last - and he was not happy about it.  No sooner than he saw the face of the one who exposed him, he attacked.  Also there was a lasher with him for some reason.

Spoiler: Ador and his friend (click to show/hide)

During a stopover in Bristletundras, Sisha spotted a strange procession of poets, bards, and assorted artists making their way toward the Cathedral of Bravery.  Curious, they decided to follow.  The gathering was headed toward a small room deep below the Cathedral, suspended over water, and it would not stop - by the end, close to 40 people were packed into this tiny room.  Strangely, some of the people were naked.  Even stranger, one was severely injured.  Was this some kind of sacrificial rite?  Or was it just people being weird?

Finally, it was time to return home in triumph.  The accursed stain on their family's honor was gone at last.  Surely, Gil would honor her when he heard the news.
Spoiler: He did not (click to show/hide)

The world was torn out from under Sisha.
So what if he didn't appreciate her?  What did his opinion matter anyway?
She tried to be helpful.  She tried to bring her family honor.
Fine then.  There was another way.  No way that anyone would disparage her for this.

"I am going to Plainsbrews.  I am going to kill every single necromancer in the tower, and I am going to bring back Thrathnu's slab."
"Sisha, wait!  You can't be serious!  They'll kill you!"
"Shut up!  This is my life!"

The moon is waxing gibbous.  Two more days before the weres come out to play.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: February 19, 2018, 09:08:36 am »

These are great, IndigoFenix. I like how you use in-game conversations to tell a coherent story.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: February 19, 2018, 11:51:27 am »

Ugh...so apparently, somehow my save file got corrupted and refused to load...

I restarted, creating basically the same character and am retracing my steps to do pretty much the same stuff.  Some minor details may be different but I'll make it so as far as the story written is concerned, nobody will be able to tell the difference.  With the possible exception of the hyena attack.  That was a stupid mistake that doesn't really need to be in the story.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #952 on: February 19, 2018, 12:17:00 pm »

AH shit... This is about the worse thing that could happen. Guys, I think that ain't gonna work out. I'm really super sorry but we're gonna cut short the experiment. I'll let you play for rest of the week and we'll just call it that.

It kills me but I really don't want a scripted narrative and redoing everything from the start is too much work on my end. Really really sorry
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:25:58 pm by Cathar »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 19, 2018, 12:33:03 pm »

Actually I've almost caught up.  (Up to the tower raid).  In terms of actual memory-relevant actions I didn't really do much.  Random actions seem pretty robust, everyone was still in basically the same place I found them originally.

I suspect Armok Vision (or possibly DFhack, which is required for it to run) is to blame, since it started having issues after I started using it, so I'll avoid it this time.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #954 on: February 19, 2018, 12:38:15 pm »

By all mean finish for story's sake but I'll close the door after you. This is a favor I'm doing against my best judgement, I hate retcons with the fury of a thousand suns.

I hadn't any problem with DFhack, but Armok Vision eats up too much memory. Accessing legends with open-legends and not killing the DF process afterward also causes file corruption if it helps?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:41:03 pm by Cathar »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: February 19, 2018, 12:47:42 pm »

That could be it.  I wasn't aware of that issue.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #956 on: February 19, 2018, 02:58:41 pm »

A bit of soul searching reveals I'm the primary responsible anyway. I'm the one who pushed for updates and screens, so blaming you would be inappropriate. Ultimately, I'm very disapointed because I care about the story and I want to know the end, I hope you'll forgive my kneejerk reaction. Ain't gonna make a mountain of a molehill, file corruption is something that I wouldnt have anticipated myself, and the only way out is forward anyway.

Can you give a quick rundown of things that are inconsistant between the previous and the current version? Stuff like names and all? Did some encounters went differently ?

Best way to proceed is to hammer down the story once it's finished, and it'll end up looking good

Also don't forget to make backup saves. You just have to copy the folder, and you'll have a nice backup
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:02:05 pm by Cathar »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 19, 2018, 07:31:58 pm »

(Hey, guys. What did I miss?)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #958 on: February 19, 2018, 07:36:18 pm »

Pretty much the whole story lol :D
Your wife is dead, your elder daughter became a war hero and married, your son became a blacksmith, Watershield was attacked violently a couple times by werebeast, interfamilial drama, battles with goblins of Osme Stobϋb, attack by a legendary bronze colossus, and completion of Watershield

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 19, 2018, 07:38:23 pm »

Pretty much the whole story lol :D
Your wife is dead, your elder daughter became a war hero and married, your son became a blacksmith, Watershield was attacked violently a couple times by werebeast, interfamilial drama, battles with goblins of Osme Stobϋb, attack by a legendary bronze colossus, and completion of Watershield

(Damn. Good for my daughter. Did anything really happen to me at all? Like was I killed or something?)
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 111