Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: A Normal College Game With Absolutely No Odd Goings On | Enroll Today! [5!?/4]  (Read 5400 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Awwwwww man... Semi-hot chicks in a dingy bar... But that's my cash! But I could get more... But I need it for drinks!

Thus thinking, Stan Jao dashes towards the miscreant and INITIATES COMBAT!

((I reckon it's about 2:1 in my favour, if I've understood))
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:22:06 pm by lawastooshort »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

What does my Keen Perception get me?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

What does my Keen Perception get me?

Like all effects, I'm going to reveal after you resolve this card, so it procs in the GM phase B, I.E setup for next round.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile

Huh, what an interesting find... Andrew thinks aloud as he grabs for the mechanical butterfly.

Grab that strange butterfly!
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

-Pass: Gain 1 Savvy and 1 Knowledge. IF you made a knowledge check, draw an action card.
-Fail: None
-Crit-Fail: Your speed is reduced by 2 next round.
Of course.  If I fail I'm stuck in this building. :P

Challenge: Advanced Knowledge OR Standard Savvy
Yay, my 2 1d10 or my 1d10 which coincidentally matches this challenge. :P
HMM :I

Savvy this challenge!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

A challenge of research? Potentially getting paid for doing one of the things he did best and that he wanted to do anyway? Ezra's ego wouldn't let him even consider turning this opportunity down, and he put in the money for it without even a little bit of hesitation. If he failed to win, he'd probably end up freaking out and staying in the library to study more, but, well, come what may.
Accept the challenge!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ezra
Pay spare change, no wealth degradation.
+1 Success From ability.
Rolling 4d10 = 7, 7, 3, 1. +0 Successes, challenge failed!
+2 Knowledge. You lose next round to feverish study.

You spend hours feverishly working on your subject, which happens to be Mesopotamian Deities and examples of the heavenly radiance, or melammu, that was said to surround them. 'Obscure' doesn't even begin to cover the topic, and the restriction to only books and articles within the library is a heavy one.

The contest is more than halfway over by the time you get a rhythm to your work, and then it's too late for you to catch up to the leaders of the pack. They're already writing up their findings, leaving you to scramble at the eleventh hour to put together what you have.

Needless to say, you don't win. It's sort of surprising, to be informed so bluntly at the beginning of the semester that you're no longer the sharpest thing going, but it's also an impetus to try harder. Much harder.

Mawe
Ability Proc: Keen Senses
Next card for you at this location is....
The Song...
Type: Event
Challenge: Advanced Savvy
-Pass: Gain 3 knowledge
-Fail:  Gain 3 stress, gain 3 knowledge
-Crit-Fail: Gain 3 stress

Andrew
+1 Tech
Rolling 2d10: 8,8. 2 Successes!
Lead Gained!

You catch the butterfly, snaring it inside an empty thermos from your bag. Inside, you can hear a metallic scraping as the butterfly flutters its metalic wings against the sides, but it doesn't seem to be struggling particularly hard.

Truly, a curious thing...

Stan
Coin Flip: Heads. Stan moves first in combat.
Stan:  3,1 (No Damage) | 10,5 (1 Damage) |  3,4 (No Damage) |  6,8 (1 Damage) |  9,10 (2 Damage, fight over!)
Pickpocket: 8,3 (1 Damage) | 6,8 (1 Damage) | 3,2 (No Damage) | 4,6 (No damage) |
-2 HP
+1 Savvy
+1 Might

You dash out of your barstool, running after the dirty fecker that stole your wallet. You catch him outside the bar, just as he's about to enter an alley, and tackle him to the ground. The ensuing struggle is not particularly glorious, but after a few whiffed punches, and a few painful cracks to your jaw, you manage to smack the thug cross-eyed into the pavement.

Following that is a requisite chat with the police officers some barfly decided to call. They determine that you're not drunk (you didn't have time), and not seriously injured enough to merit a hospital visit. It all feels pretty badass.

Rylie
1d10: 7

You can't... quite... stay.. awake...

You remain standing, sort of, but your mind fogs out while the old man recounts every day of his existence at the newspaper. You try to direct his flow of ramblings, but ultimately fail. At some point he gives you a raisin bagel and sits you down with a glass of tea, continuing his life's story though lunch.

Many hours late you find yourself sitting alone at a small table by the Newspaper building's front window. Your tea is half-gone, and you have vague memories of exchanging good-byes with the old man. Odd. You can't even remember his name.

Next Fate Card: Strange Aurora
Effect: If you stand in a street location next round, something strange just might happen to you... Permanently adds Aurora-Touched cards to interaction decks. This Fate card leaves play after one round.

Alright, it's Round 2 (I'm so proud.)

Spoiler: MAP (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, a Savvy challenge. I'll stay here, Investigate, and participate in the Savvy challenge! I won't be able to participate in the Aurora event, but I really hope someone else does. It could be a good, bad, or Neutral thing. Either way, it could change the game.

Also, Draginean, I know you probably want to keep things in proper order, but will you resolve my challenge in part one or part 2 of the turn?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

H-how did I fail at a 7 @_@
Or did I get 'standard and advanced' mixed up wrong >_<

Investigate again!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Investigate again!

Rolls are done using a 1d10 system, 8, 9 and 10 are considered to be successes. Every two 1's negate a success. 

8,9, and 10 net you a success. The Standard/Advanced/Critical denotes how many successes you need.

Powder, for instance, rolled two 7s. In most games, that's a significant bit of positive mojo, here, it's the same as rolling a pair of twos. There are action cards (as well as assets/allies/etc) that will lower the threshold needed, but without them, 7 is a failure on the dice.

EDIT:
Okay, a Savvy challenge. I'll stay here, Investigate, and participate in the Savvy challenge! I won't be able to participate in the Aurora event, but I really hope someone else does. It could be a good, bad, or Neutral thing. Either way, it could change the game.

Also, Draginean, I know you probably want to keep things in proper order, but will you resolve my challenge in part one or part 2 of the turn?

Part 2 still. That lookeahead ability is useful, but it does have the distinct effect of creating uninteresting periods of play where you already know what's coming.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:01:21 pm by Draignean »
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Powder, for instance, rolled two 7s. In most games, that's a significant bit of positive mojo, here, it's the same as rolling a pair of twos. There are action cards (as well as assets/allies/etc) that will lower the threshold needed, but without them, 7 is a failure on the dice.
Thank you1! :O

I need to find allies then!

RPing for later.

Rylie heads out of the newspaper building and into the warrens.

Then Investigates.

That said can we trade our resources cards? I've all 3 I decidedly won't use. :P

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Investigate again!

Rolls are done using a 1d10 system, 8, 9 and 10 are considered to be successes. Every two 1's negate a success. 

8,9, and 10 net you a success. The Standard/Advanced/Critical denotes how many successes you need.

EDIT:

Part 2 still. That lookeahead ability is useful, but it does have the distinct effect of creating uninteresting periods of play where you already know what's coming.
Eh, if this were a real board game, it wouldn't be as uninteresting a period, mostly since it's far shorter and there's probably still be some time spent deciding what to do, Then again, in a real board game, turns would probably be rotational rather than simultaneous.

Speaking of "real board game", with a few modifications, this would work well physically. For things like added interaction cards (like with the aurora), you may need to either generalize the trigger (perhaps to mystically-touched) or make a roll to see in a player draws any special interaction cards for each investigation. Possibly 1/20 or 1/10 chance.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Investigate again!

EDIT:

Eh, if this were a real board game, it wouldn't be as uninteresting a period, mostly since it's far shorter and there's probably still be some time spent deciding what to do, Then again, in a real board game, turns would probably be rotational rather than simultaneous.

Speaking of "real board game", with a few modifications, this would work well physically. For things like added interaction cards (like with the aurora), you may need to either generalize the trigger (perhaps to mystically-touched) or make a roll to see in a player draws any special interaction cards for each investigation. Possibly 1/20 or 1/10 chance.

This game is inspired (REALLY HEAVILY) by the boardgame Arkham Horror (Which I heartily recommend), which does do simultaneous turns. It's a really fun game, though it takes a while to explain the rules to new people.  The advantage here is that it's much easier for me to tweak what comes out of the decks based on individual characters and their achievements to date.
---

aDwarfNamedUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Long Live The !!sand pear wood throne!!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Investigate again!

EDIT:

This game is inspired (REALLY HEAVILY) by the boardgame Arkham Horror (Which I heartily recommend), which does do simultaneous turns. It's a really fun game, though it takes a while to explain the rules to new people.  The advantage here is that it's much easier for me to tweak what comes out of the decks based on individual characters and their achievements to date.
That is a good point. Perhaps, as a digital board game, it could reach further limits. For example, from what I know, Hearthstone has things like random cards and voice lines under its belt as advantages in its media. One day, I might end up creating some programming that could run such a card game..if all the graphics and cards and such were made. But for now, things like this are just pipe dreams.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6