Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359502 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #3000 on: December 16, 2020, 12:32:28 am »

Lets set up a proper old Alpha Strike.  Scope out the hive, using my eagle eyes to look for clusters of activity on each of the two halves.  Pick one location on each half as targets.  Then..

Go find a massive rock or debris chunk, about me-sized, and start lining it up for an attack on the hive.  IE, grab it, and start it moving meteor-style towards one of the two target locations.

There's more I'd like to do before impact, so pause there.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 06:08:09 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3001 on: December 17, 2020, 11:16:35 am »

Oh boy, better get off my ass. The other players are advancing their quests while I just sit around and squander my power lead~

Swoop back down the hole I made and return to the people down there. Report that I found what appears to be this vehicle's commander but that it's on roughly equal footing with me and I need help dismantling it. If people agree to help me fight and need help getting there, give them wings like my own.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
You turn back around to fly down through the hole you created to get here. That hole is now a geyser of robots. Like literally nothing but a solid mass of crawling metal spewing out. Getting down through there might be...tougher than getting up. [9+5v5] You flap up to dodge some incoming anti-air fire.

Lets set up a proper old Alpha Strike.  Scope out the hive, using my eagle eyes to look for clusters of activity on each of the two halves.  Pick one location on each half as targets.  Then..

Go find a massive rock or debris chunk, about me-sized, and start lining it up for an attack on the hive.  IE, grab it, and start it moving meteor-style towards one of the two target locations.

There's more I'd like to do before impact, so pause there.

You grab a few large chunks of debris and stone, line them up,  and [4+4] hurl them off towards the hive. They'll hit pretty hard but they're not accelerating or anything so only as hard as you threw them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: December 17, 2020, 11:30:14 am »

The first time I had to cut through the structure, this time it's just a bunch of robots in the way. Blood clots are always going to be weaker than bone. Besides, this time gravity's technically on my side~

Increase my effective mass and swoop down with some more enhanced sword strikes.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: December 17, 2020, 06:11:00 pm »

Latch onto the last one, and use a d8 Strengthen Enlarge spell, to make it basically a huge vaguely pancake-shaped rock, flat sides facing me and the hive.  The use a d8 Permanent Strengthen Speed Force spell on it to make this end basically a force rocket that will propel the giant rock faster into the hive.. and hopefully the entire hive, to make it float away from the other half.

After that, propel myself off with a jump, observe the impact, and make my own power landing on the other hive, the one without the giant rocks smashing into it.  Tear into any robots near me with my gun and claws.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 12:30:18 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: December 18, 2020, 04:14:14 am »

Allrighty then. Offer up the story of our meeting with Excata. My guess is that since it was a vision quest of sorts, perhaps she doesn't already know what went down and so it would be a valuable addition to the library. And since it regards her sister she'd presumably be interested in it.

If that works, enter the library and see what's up.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 04:22:25 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3005 on: December 21, 2020, 12:04:46 pm »

The first time I had to cut through the structure, this time it's just a bunch of robots in the way. Blood clots are always going to be weaker than bone. Besides, this time gravity's technically on my side~

Increase my effective mass and swoop down with some more enhanced sword strikes.

[16+5v16][-1 mana, you lucky duck]
You fly straight up above the hole and then dive down, holding your sword in front of you as you do. You push mana into the sword as you plunge into the clawing metal, drilling down through it like a mortar shell of molten steel, wings wrapped tightly around yourself.  When you finally tear through the bottom and come out on the underside of the machine you find that your compatriots are gone. In their place is a massive hole in the undercarriage that is vomiting out what looks like a mixture of oil and acid.

Allrighty then. Offer up the story of our meeting with Excata. My guess is that since it was a vision quest of sorts, perhaps she doesn't already know what went down and so it would be a valuable addition to the library. And since it regards her sister she'd presumably be interested in it.

If that works, enter the library and see what's up.

You tell the story of your meeting with the half-living goddess to the slab. After you finish there is a long moment of silence before something changes. You had expected the slab to be a door and slide away, revealing a structure behind it. Instead the slab remains stationary and the walls begin to drift. They float away as though weightless, drifting on an unseen current out into the seemingly infinite darkness that now surrounds you. You look back at the slab and for a moment you think it hasn't changed. Then you move your head a bit to the side and realize that you aren't looking at a slab anymore. You're looking at a pathway, a pathway that, due to its construction, looks like a slab when viewed from straight on. An optical illusion.

You step out onto the strange path and walk forward. Ahead, fading out of the darkness as though out of thick fog, is what could only be described as an inverted castle. Not inverted in terms of its physical orientation, but in terms of its matter. The actual matter of the castle is black, invisible in the void, but its shadows are white and shine as bright as a noon sunlight. You see the thing by these shadows, these grooves and divots and inverted places. If that weren't odd enough the entire place seems to be on fire...or maybe just indeterminate in its boundaries. Its edges seem to flicker and roll, like tongues of flame off the more solid core. Hundreds of needle like spires rise high above you, whipping and flickering in slow motion, half glimpsed as after images that grow brighter and brighter before suddenly winking out.  The path, which is hundreds of feet wide with engraved letters large enough to fall into by the time it ends, stops just before the entrance to this inverted castle, about 2 meters away from the open portcullis and slightly ajar doors beyond.

Latch onto the last one, and use a d8 Strengthen Enlarge spell, to make it basically a huge vaguely pancake-shaped rock, flat sides facing me and the hive.  The use a d8 Permanent Strengthen Speed Force spell on it to make this end basically a force rocket that will propel the giant rock faster into the hive.. and hopefully the entire hive, to make it float away from the other half.

After that, propel myself off with a jump, observe the impact, and make my own power landing on the other hive, the one without the giant rocks smashing into it.  Tear into any robots near me with my gun and claws.

[-11 mana]
You ride the rock in while enlarging and speeding it up, leaping off before it  impacts and jumping onto the other hive. The impact is an odd thing in the silence of space. No noise, no vibrations, no shockwave. Silent carnage that makes it feel somehow unreal or disconnected from you as the half of the hive is crushed inward and goes spiraling away in a spray of metal and stone. You land on the other hive and quickly clear the area around you with a few swats and spinning strikes of your tail.  More machines are coming but you have a moment before they reach you.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: December 21, 2020, 11:28:18 pm »

Continue clearing out this hive.  Try to knock out whatever's manufacturing the new robots, and try to not use more force than necessary.

If things are going well, use a temporary d12 Strengthen spell to increase my empathic abilities dramatically.  I want to be able to feel if there are any nearby creatures with emotions.  A permanant d8 usage could let me sort of feel what something I was touching was feeling, so this should be a lot more effective.

If things don't go well, try to get the enemy to clump up.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: December 22, 2020, 10:00:58 am »

Welp, let's go into that castle then. Before entering though use our poking stick to see if it's safe to touch it. Assuming it doesn't burst into inverted flames or whatever, move on.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3008 on: December 27, 2020, 12:54:17 pm »

Welp, let's go into that castle then. Before entering though use our poking stick to see if it's safe to touch it. Assuming it doesn't burst into inverted flames or whatever, move on.

You give the castle a good few pokes. Or at least you try: the pole passes straight through the material of the building. It doesn't come out on fire or otherwise damaged, so you sidle up and give it a cautious touch. The outer part is like cold mist, then soft mud beneath it, then ice below it all. You make your way forward, testing each step before putting any weight on it, until you can squeeze through the open door.

The room beyond hurts your head. The first impression you have is that of a library; book cases of inverted shadow stretch out away from you on multiple stories, seemingly for miles, holding an uncountable number of books, scrolls, tablets, carved bones, flickering memories, bottled voices, and living myths growing like gold ivy. But as you take a few steps in and look around you realize instead that the bookshelves do not stretch off to infinity, rather they simply get smaller and smaller the further from you they get until they are infinitesimal indeed. To your left and right they do the same thing, but you also see yourself as a mirror image, walking away and examining the shelves even while you remain still.  The image of you to the right opens a book and flips through it for a moment before closing it and locking eyes with you.

"The accumulation of power is not unlike the collecting of knowledge."

The you to the left, shaking a bottled story and watching the voice cascade about within it like water, continues.

"There is no end to either and both are addictive."

"Some seek power for knowledge sake, others knowledge for the sake of power." The right responds, tossing a book at you...though it somehow seems to just keep flying and never reach you.

"You have come seeking both." The left you says, apparently searching for a title on the shelf.

"They are, after all, one and the same." The right you says, walking away and shrinking as it does.

"But for the sake of what?" Left you says, as he folds himself into a book and vanishes.

Continue clearing out this hive.  Try to knock out whatever's manufacturing the new robots, and try to not use more force than necessary.

If things are going well, use a temporary d12 Strengthen spell to increase my empathic abilities dramatically.  I want to be able to feel if there are any nearby creatures with emotions.  A permanant d8 usage could let me sort of feel what something I was touching was feeling, so this should be a lot more effective.

If things don't go well, try to get the enemy to clump up.

[14v1(its a Christmas miracle)]
You clear the area around you and then start digging into the metal of the hive itself, intending to dig down and find the manufacturing center of the hive. Your very first strike sinks your arm in up to the shoulder and you feel something rather bulbous inside. You give it a good hard squeeze and it shatters in your hand like a hard boiled egg. You are suddenly flying backwards, riding a chunk of debris away from the hive as explosions lance through the structure, unseen mechanics catching and detonating in rapid succession.  Within the span of maybe 30 seconds multiple huge blasts erupt from within the structure and tear it into a dozen chunks, spraying a cloud of oil and metal fragments that fill the area around what was left of the hive.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: December 27, 2020, 11:20:47 pm »

Damn!  I messed up there!

Speed things up a bit before the world ends.

Clean up the robot menace up here, and I'm still looking for prisoners.  Fight it out with any boss monster that shows up.

If a boss monster does show up..

Saeko fights by shooting things first, if it doesn't work, do an extra temp buff and go into melee.
use whatever seems best, either throw something big, get bigger, or get sharper/faster.  Maybe summon a weapon with Expand Strengthen Steel Weapon, and use that to pierce through completely.

There are also force walls projectable by the spirit to handle extra defense.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:42:56 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: December 28, 2020, 08:03:49 am »

"When we began this journey, it was our intention to return the world to the glimmer it once had by restoring it to what Sun had once envisioned. However, by now we have come to a greater understanding of the shape of things. Perhaps it is impossible to undo what has been done. Still, we would wish to find a new balance and forge a gentler world for god and man to reside in, as Alizarin once put it.

Before any of that however we must deal with the encroaching threat from the east. We carry with us the combined legacy of your two sisters, life in all its abundant forms and shapes. We stand for all that walks and crawls and breathes and grows. The antithesis to the unliving hordes of machine death coming for us all, a force even greater than what came before.

And for this, we seek whatever aid you would deign to give us, be it the last piece of the gift of your father, guidance and wisdom on how to defeat this foe, or even simply your blessing." 

Talking with a library.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:51:41 am by Radio Controlled »

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: December 29, 2020, 10:38:37 pm »

((Think I'm gonna join this))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:47:56 pm by ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3012 on: January 01, 2021, 06:02:35 pm »

((Think I'm gonna join this))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I dunno if thats wise. I'm effectively pushing this to end as it is. If you don't mind the game suddenly ending some time in the future, then I'm fine with that.

"When we began this journey, it was our intention to return the world to the glimmer it once had by restoring it to what Sun had once envisioned. However, by now we have come to a greater understanding of the shape of things. Perhaps it is impossible to undo what has been done. Still, we would wish to find a new balance and forge a gentler world for god and man to reside in, as Alizarin once put it.

Before any of that however we must deal with the encroaching threat from the east. We carry with us the combined legacy of your two sisters, life in all its abundant forms and shapes. We stand for all that walks and crawls and breathes and grows. The antithesis to the unliving hordes of machine death coming for us all, a force even greater than what came before.

And for this, we seek whatever aid you would deign to give us, be it the last piece of the gift of your father, guidance and wisdom on how to defeat this foe, or even simply your blessing." 

Talking with a library.

A book falls from the shelf, its cover reads: "An answer steeped in nobility and idealism." 

A scroll unravels and the only words on it are: "But what drives it?"

A glass cracks and the voice of an old man leaks out: "What cause do you have to worry about the state of the world?"

A painting mouths what you believe are these words, silently: "I have seen your past."

A groan of metal: "I have seen bloodshed"

A distant echo: "I've have seen efficiency at the cost of life."

Tearing paper: "And heroism too."

The shelves around you creak a squealing cry: "Beneath idealism is drive, and drive is fed by desire; do not seek to obfuscate your nature."

The shadowy stones grind with a voice like a landslide: "Speak true!"

A woman's voice behind you, a whisper just at your ear. "What do you desire?"

Damn!  I messed up there!

Speed things up a bit before the world ends.

Clean up the robot menace up here, and I'm still looking for prisoners.  Fight it out with any boss monster that shows up.

If a boss monster does show up..

Saeko fights by shooting things first, if it doesn't work, do an extra temp buff and go into melee.
use whatever seems best, either throw something big, get bigger, or get sharper/faster.  Maybe summon a weapon with Expand Strengthen Steel Weapon, and use that to pierce through completely.

There are also force walls projectable by the spirit to handle extra defense.

As the first chunk of the hive explodes the second hive starts shifting. Hundreds of machines leap from its surface in a cloud of glittering metal, each one dragging a metal cable behind them. They leap about on the wreckage near them, some stopping  and others continuing on. As you watch, the remaining have chunk begins pulling the connected wreckage back in towards itself,  quickly becoming a massive cluster of stone and metal. Fire erupts from one side of the hive and it begins moving, picking up speed as thousands of thrusters push it forward. And not towards you: Towards the earth below.

You fly in towards it and catch hold to the rapidly growing exterior, smashing away machines as you do.

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: January 01, 2021, 07:02:16 pm »

((Nevermind then fam))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: January 01, 2021, 07:47:09 pm »

Use a reverse-permanent strengthen View spell to give a temporary altered view of the earth.. shift it to lead the hive cluster in an alternate direction.

Use a temporary d10 reverse-permanent strengthen speed on self spell to put self in overdrive.

Shred through the hive looking for the central command location.

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203