Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359594 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2955 on: October 31, 2020, 09:28:27 am »

Get my sword ready and roll out. If there's immediate contact with the enemy start hacking them apart or throwing d8 cost explosion blades if they're at range.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: October 31, 2020, 11:48:17 am »

You get into the worm's mouth, which is a rather harrowing experience due to the giant circular maw filled with triangular teeth. Everything about doing it makes your brain scream obscenities at you. Regardless you do get in and do tell it to go down. You're not entirely sure where it goes or how deep, since you're riding blind in the mouth and that lantern that sees through flux doesn't help much with wormflesh. However, eventually the ride stops and you can dully hear the worm resting itself against the bottom.

If there are any flux spiders or squealers nearby, ask them to look around and report back to us what they can 'see' as well as they can.

Either way, ask the worm to (very slowly!) open its mouth so the flux goes in gradually. Then, make our way out and look around with the special lantern, see if we can find an entrance to wherever seems likely to be Sibalbia's crib. Make sure the flux worm doesn't swim away for now.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: October 31, 2020, 02:15:44 pm »

Can I get a new statline, for the change in form?

Is there blood?  Use a restore spell to create some if not.  Then, use the Memory Skull to access the messenger's memories and find out what happened to the person. (and the Viscera word.)

Risking mutation, use a Strengthen Permanent Lightweight spell to further reduce my weight to about 40% of nominal from 75%.  This should be the last spell necessary to fly rapidly and easily.

(rolling for 575 mana)

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 03:18:07 am by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2958 on: November 04, 2020, 10:31:31 am »

Get my sword ready and roll out. If there's immediate contact with the enemy start hacking them apart or throwing d8 cost explosion blades if they're at range.

You kick open the hatch and head out onto the blasted sand near the crash site. You expect a massive war zone but the artillery fortresses are all so spread out that you can only just barely see the ones to the north and south of your own as flaming specks on the horizon. There are several zeppelins around, two more crashed like yours, a third coming down, and 3 more still in the air for the moment. The Giant treads of the fortress are a good kilometer away, but it is slowly moving towards you. The upper surface is spraying anti-aircraft fire and the artillery cannons are grinding into a new position. They seem, for the moment, not to be focusing on the downed ships or people.

There's little cover here, just open sand, so once they notice you there's not gonna be a lot of time -or places- to hide.

One of the mage breakers behind you waves a hand and the sands rush up and catch the descending zeppelin, dropping it gently.  The soldiers trundle out and look for something to follow or kill.

You get into the worm's mouth, which is a rather harrowing experience due to the giant circular maw filled with triangular teeth. Everything about doing it makes your brain scream obscenities at you. Regardless you do get in and do tell it to go down. You're not entirely sure where it goes or how deep, since you're riding blind in the mouth and that lantern that sees through flux doesn't help much with wormflesh. However, eventually the ride stops and you can dully hear the worm resting itself against the bottom.

If there are any flux spiders or squealers nearby, ask them to look around and report back to us what they can 'see' as well as they can.

Either way, ask the worm to (very slowly!) open its mouth so the flux goes in gradually. Then, make our way out and look around with the special lantern, see if we can find an entrance to wherever seems likely to be Sibalbia's crib. Make sure the flux worm doesn't swim away for now.

You get the worm to open its mouth slowly, flooding your meaty dive chamber with goo.  Once you've gotten adapted and equalized you start looking around with the lantern for structures and critters. There are plenty of both. This place is not unlike the capital in terms of how densely packed it is with structures, though many are destroyed or in some state of it. Your lantern projects a beam of light as well as a softer, less focused glow around you, and you build up a mental image using the searching beam of the local area. The largest buildings are to the north, the ones you can see from the surface, though you can't see them from here. The local buildings are home sized and a quick peek reveals they probably were homes as opposed to...well shops or storage or anything else. You find a flux spider hiding out in one and ask it about someplace deeper nearby and it points out a trench about a half mile walk to the north west.

Can I get a new statline, for the change in form?

Is there blood?  Use a restore spell to create some if not.  Then, use the Memory Skull to access the messenger's memories and find out what happened to the person. (and the Viscera word.)

Risking mutation, use a Strengthen Permanent Lightweight spell to further reduce my weight to about 40% of nominal from 75%.  This should be the last spell necessary to fly rapidly and easily.

(rolling for 575 mana)

Str  d20 +4
Speed  d20 +3
Endurance  d20+5
Knowledge  d12+4
Will  d10+3
Senses  d12+4

Using blood from the body you discover that they are being killed by individuals in heavy clothing using what You're basically certain are Mechanist weapons. Possibly assassin bots. Possibly allies? Do the Mechanists have living allies?

Success, but mutation. -12 mana, you are now nocturnal and get -1 to all rolls in daylight hours.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: November 05, 2020, 02:13:35 pm »

flooding your meaty dive chamber with goo
Oh my~

Thank the spider and ask it to come along with us for a bit, together with the worm. Then go check out that trench! Does it look like the trench leads to Sibalbia's crib? If yes follow along (have wormfriend transport us if needed), if not look around more for clues to find where she might be hanging out.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2960 on: November 07, 2020, 11:24:59 am »

flooding your meaty dive chamber with goo
Oh my~

Thank the spider and ask it to come along with us for a bit, together with the worm. Then go check out that trench! Does it look like the trench leads to Sibalbia's crib? If yes follow along (have wormfriend transport us if needed), if not look around more for clues to find where she might be hanging out.

You head over to the trench they mentioned. It is...well its a natural trench. Its not something someone dug its a literal giant gash in the stone that seems to have been torn open from somewhere below.  Buildings have collapsed on either side, partially fallen in or even been toppled over backwards away from it. With the goo you can just jump in and sink to the bottom but...well you can't see the bottom. The thing isn't straight; it sort of meanders and wriggles back and forth as it descends. You consider if it would lead to your destination and you're not really sure. It clearly does lead LOWER though, and the information you have says she should probably be under the city...You consider it a reasonable bet that this will at least get you closer.

You get back into the worm and have him dive you deeper, carrying you through the earth until it jerks horizontal, then vertical and then finally, with a splosh, breaks the surface somewhere. You peek out and find that the worm's mouth is on the surface of the flux, but everything is dark. You shine the light around and see that you're in a room; a carved stone room of sorts. It has an oddly organic shape; like a cave someone sort of "Shaved" and polished up a bit. The stone looks oddly metallic and crystalline; black-silver with a grain to it. The entire place seems to have a glow to it, but you can't place the source nor the color; its like everything is sort of hazy gray and barely visible.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: November 07, 2020, 02:34:58 pm »

Lets go do a sting operation.  Resize and reshape my steel cloth armour (with Expand, Bird, Feline, etc), and pick up one of the permanent guards.  Have the one I'm leaving behind prepare the defenses at the mansion.  Spend 140 mana to raise speed and senses to +4 each.

Also enlarge and empower the gun Ekrov made for me, with an Enlarge Strengthen Steel Weapon spell, to make it more suitable for my current bulk.

Fill up on mana after, converting enough magicoal to get more than 100 ready mana.

Have the one I'm bringing use one of the magicoal-powered magic fire guns, (as well as a melee weapon) and give the person three buff spells to try and make sure this gets results instead of just providing a fourth body.

One to buff armour, (d10 Permanent Strengthen Steel)
One to buff weapons, (d10 Permanent Strengthen Steel Weapon)
and one on a popsicle stick for emergencies.  (d10 temporary Strengthen Speed) to allow the person to escape from an ambush.

Then go out and try to conduct the 'find Viscera' mission again, this time with me following around the guard investigating by a kilometer or so, well within hearing range and hopefully close enough to intervene.  General process is to fly the guard near to the next destination, and then allow the guard to proceed on foot from there.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:21:55 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: November 07, 2020, 05:57:07 pm »

Advance, slowly enough for the humans to follow me. Once close enough, use Black Sulphur to structurally weaken the tread or wheels.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: November 09, 2020, 04:24:29 am »

Do a viscera sensing spell, just a short pulse, to see if there are living critters/humans around here (apart from us and our animal friends of course). )

If that reveals to us the presence of some dudes, go check that area out, if nothing jumps out then instead just explore this cave for a bit. Ask wormfriend to stay here for a while, but spiderfriend can join us and run on the walls or ceiling to help us look around.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 04:26:07 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2964 on: November 11, 2020, 04:08:02 pm »

Advance, slowly enough for the humans to follow me. Once close enough, use Black Sulphur to structurally weaken the tread or wheels.

One of the breakers behind you sends a fissure out through the stone, carving a trench straight to the target and providing some cover in the process. You jump down into it, motioning for the others to follow along behind, and push forward towards the distant machine. You get about 2/3rds of the way there before the emplaced guns along its walls and upper decks track down towards you and the advancing soldiers. The spray of rounds tears the dry earth apart and fills the air with blinding dust as rounds continue ripping through.  Things clip your armor, not sure if they're bullets or just rocks and dirt spraying around you, but you keep going,  raising your sword in front of your head and body as a makeshift shield, shouldering through. When you reach the underside of the machine its actually a complete surprise. All of a sudden everything is dark, much quieter, and the bullets aren't coming down anymore.  The trench has dived down under the treads, metal above your head.  You continue on until you bypass the  treads and find yourself under the belly of the great moving fortress. You peek up and find that there are indeed defensive guns down here too, diving back down as they tear up the earth around you.  The belly of the machine is maybe 20 feet up from the ground, laden with scattered machineguns and lights. [14v2][-2 mana] You point towards a place maybe 50 feet away from the trench and unleash a burst of concentrated black sulfur towards the treads over there.  You're not certain how effective it is, you have to duck back down again a moment later.

You check. Most of the soldiers and all of the mage breakers are still with you. Some are missing, but not many.

Do a viscera sensing spell, just a short pulse, to see if there are living critters/humans around here (apart from us and our animal friends of course). )

If that reveals to us the presence of some dudes, go check that area out, if nothing jumps out then instead just explore this cave for a bit. Ask wormfriend to stay here for a while, but spiderfriend can join us and run on the walls or ceiling to help us look around.

[-3 mana]
You send out a pulse looking for unknown organic goo. You get two surprises. The first is that all the flux lights up slightly in your mind. It is apparently organic or alive by some vague definition. The second is that  there are a FUCK TON of signatures around here. Like...capital city level of living critters around here.  They're all around here as well, any way out of this cavern would lead to them.  In light of the potential hive of giant man eating...things that might be around you decide to move ahead very very slowly.  You carefully advance all the way  until the passage opens up. Its hard to say exactly whats out there; the space is quite large and you can very vaguely see that same grayish glow over the walls and in the air. You think you can make out the shape of a large natural cavern with structures carved into the walls and floor. There's the sound of flowing liquid, flux you assume.

There are living things all around here, you can hear them but not see them. Movement, breathing, words in a language you don't recognize.

Lets go do a sting operation.  Resize and reshape my steel cloth armour (with Expand, Bird, Feline, etc), and pick up one of the permanent guards.  Have the one I'm leaving behind prepare the defenses at the mansion.  Spend 140 mana to raise speed and senses to +4 each.

Also enlarge and empower the gun Ekrov made for me, with an Enlarge Strengthen Steel Weapon spell, to make it more suitable for my current bulk.

Fill up on mana after, converting enough magicoal to get more than 100 ready mana.

Have the one I'm bringing use one of the magicoal-powered magic fire guns, (as well as a melee weapon) and give the person three buff spells to try and make sure this gets results instead of just providing a fourth body.

and one on a popsicle stick for emergencies.  (d10 temporary Strengthen Speed) to allow the person to escape from an ambush.

Then go out and try to conduct the 'find Viscera' mission again, this time with me following around the guard investigating by a kilometer or so, well within hearing range and hopefully close enough to intervene.  General process is to fly the guard near to the next destination, and then allow the guard to proceed on foot from there.

1. Alright. -140 mana.
2. -13 mana. Done. I assume you just want to make it bigger and not to make it more complex or have extra functions. 
3. Alright.
4. When you say "Give them" do you mean to cast those first 2 on them? I'm assuming casting them on him. -24 mana.
5. You send your new guy out to try and find viscera. He does get attacked on the road about a day after starting off but he manages to smash his attacker to pieces. The attacker was, as you assumed, a robot. You check it over, searching for something that would indicate its targeting your messengers specifically but can't find anything. You send the guard to check local areas and they report a lot of people going missing on trips between towns as well. Seems they're just assassinating people on the road. Maybe trying to reduce supply lines and info between towns?

We'll assume that you get "Viscera D12" during all this.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: November 11, 2020, 04:44:23 pm »

Get my Temp bird wings on and burst upwards towards the belly of the machine. Holding my sword with my lower two arms, hack into it with a d20 mana strike while using the buffs on my upper two hands to enwreath myself in a wide sphere of bright, terrible fire as I enter the machine.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: November 13, 2020, 07:23:50 am »

You send out a pulse looking for unknown organic goo. You get two surprises. The first is that all the flux lights up slightly in your mind. It is apparently organic or alive by some vague definition. The second is that  there are a FUCK TON of signatures around here. Like...capital city level of living critters around here.  They're all around here as well, any way out of this cavern would lead to them.  In light of the potential hive of giant man eating...things that might be around you decide to move ahead very very slowly.  You carefully advance all the way  until the passage opens up. Its hard to say exactly whats out there; the space is quite large and you can very vaguely see that same grayish glow over the walls and in the air. You think you can make out the shape of a large natural cavern with structures carved into the walls and floor. There's the sound of flowing liquid, flux you assume.

There are living things all around here, you can hear them but not see them. Movement, breathing, words in a language you don't recognize.

Know to +2 please.

Grab that book on languages and look in it to try and find the language these people are speaking, or maybe something that looks like it. If we find something relevant, try to find some simple words like 'hello' and 'friend'.

Then, try to go a bit closer to the carved structures. Summon some tasty treats using my 'viscera' word. Lie them out in front of us in a way that makes it clear these are meant as gifts/offerings, then wait for one of them to come to us.

If what comes out are humanoids, or at least sapient beings, try to gesture to the food to indicate it is a gift, and use some of the words to try and establish we're here in peace.

If what comes out is animal/plant and hostile or unfriendly, use sunbroer staff to subdue it, or at least calm it down.

If nothing comes out after some waiting, announce our presence. 

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: November 14, 2020, 01:03:31 am »

(13 magicoal consumed for that mana.)

Do some investigation.  Try to find out if there are any towns that have been attacked, or wiped out, or any witnesses to a base or headquarters of these robots that might be around on the surface.  Try to meet with some people who survived attacks, too.

Use the same tactic of flying the guard over and then listening in on the conversations, although the guard can bring people over if it seems like a good idea.

Oh, and smash any robots I see that are smaller than I am.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 07:26:41 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2968 on: November 15, 2020, 09:13:35 am »

Get my Temp bird wings on and burst upwards towards the belly of the machine. Holding my sword with my lower two arms, hack into it with a d20 mana strike while using the buffs on my upper two hands to enwreath myself in a wide sphere of bright, terrible fire as I enter the machine.

-10 mana
You wait for a lull in the gunfire and hurl yourself upwards [14+5] It only takes you two flaps to reach the underbelly of the machine and then cleaving blow to tear straight through. You pass through the cleft of molten metal and into a hall...or rather a passage. Its not meant for humans, especially humans of your size and bulk. Its nothing but a crawlspace of raw, jagged metal. And its swarming with machines.  The immediately converge on you, throwing themselves into your burning aura and striking out with electrified cleavers, crawling in strange bounding movements that bounce against the ceiling of the crawl space. [20+5] You strike them down as they come, cleaving them in half or mashing them to the surfaces of the crawlspace until a plug of molten bodies forms and blocks their continued attacks for the moment.

You doubt that you'll be able to move through this thing normally; it was built for these machines, not you. You might have to just keep cleaving.

Know to +2 please.

Grab that book on languages and look in it to try and find the language these people are speaking, or maybe something that looks like it. If we find something relevant, try to find some simple words like 'hello' and 'friend'.

Then, try to go a bit closer to the carved structures. Summon some tasty treats using my 'viscera' word. Lie them out in front of us in a way that makes it clear these are meant as gifts/offerings, then wait for one of them to come to us.

If what comes out are humanoids, or at least sapient beings, try to gesture to the food to indicate it is a gift, and use some of the words to try and establish we're here in peace.

If what comes out is animal/plant and hostile or unfriendly, use sunbroer staff to subdue it, or at least calm it down.

If nothing comes out after some waiting, announce our presence. 

Ok.

[5+5v5] You look through the book while listening. But as you listen, you notice something. The more you try to focus in on what any particular word is,  the harder it is for you to make it out.  When you listen passively, you can hear it distinctly and can, kind of, understand the intent or ideas. When you focus, its just noise. You cup one ear to try and hear and it doesn't change anything. Then, as a test, you cover both ears and can still hear it just as well as before.  You get the distinct feeling they're "Talking" straight into your head.

You walk out into the cavern and nearer to the carved structures. You summon up some nice slabs of fresh meat and lay them out as offerings in front of you.  The "Voices" seem to take notice of you and you feel their "gaze" on you. The thing that comes out to see you isn't human, but is something close. They're shorter, about 5 feet, with a broad stocky build and wide eyes that have a catlike glint or glow that reflects any light. They're extremely pale, and wearing very little. There's something simian in their appearance, the broad brow and heavy jaw of a gorilla perhaps. You gesture at the meat and the woman, for that is what she is, picks it up and examines it.  She seems to look at it in the way you might look at an ancient pot: a sort of "Ah, so this is what they were like" curious reverence.

(13 magicoal consumed for that mana.)

Do some investigation.  Try to find out if there are any towns that have been attacked, or wiped out, or any witnesses to a base or headquarters of these robots that might be around on the surface.  Try to meet with some people who survived attacks, too.

Use the same tactic of flying the guard over and then listening in on the conversations, although the guard can bring people over if it seems like a good idea.

Oh, and smash any robots I see that are smaller than I am.

You hear about three instances of towns being destroyed: All three are on the eastern border. Two were apparently shelled into oblivion and the third vanished into a jungle that appeared overnight.  You can find no survivors of the first two, but the third is different: It seems like the entire population of the town was shifted to another town further west after the jungle's appearance. They cannot explain the jungle, but they say a man riding a giant lizard took them from their town to this new one.

There are also reports of robots spreading throughout the kingdom. Other attacks. Always small raiding parties, never a full assault on a town. Least not yet.  The magebreakers are apparently spreading out across the kingdom, playing wack-a-mole with sightings. There's rumors of a full army being drafted.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: November 15, 2020, 11:37:03 pm »

Sometimes the most brutal solution is the best one.
Split it wide open!

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 203