Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359592 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2940 on: October 16, 2020, 09:34:36 am »

1. In order for this to have a chance of working, the corpses should be relatively fresh. You'd have to rob brand new graves, hopefully of people who were buried immediately. Its a possibility but a difficult one. We'll hold it for if other things don't work.
2.[3+5v3] Through some quick talking and 20 gold you gain access to a few fresh bodies. [You discover Bone, and Hair]
3. Through dealings with the local authorities you gain access to a recently killed criminal. Not executed, just murdered in a back alley fight. [you discover Skin]

Blast, since we didn't find the word we were looking for or a good alternative, try the grave robbing option. If still nothing we'll just make do without dangit!

You could use radiation to do visible light, yes. And you can make light that ignores the flux.  So you could make a lantern of flashlight that lets you see through it.
Coolio. Make/buy a glass cover for one of our lanterns then so that the flux cannot directly touch the light source and drain the enchantment. Also, what is the difficulty for this spell, and what does it roll?

Oh, and how much for a box that can be locked watertight, so we can take some items with us without ruining them in the flux (like our book on languages)?

3. Probably around 100 gold each.
Buy one for each, try to haggle the price down (note: Ecalir still has some money on him as well in case Darwin falls short). Oh, and can we assume they come with the required life support, or should we look into that separately?

Oh, and is it still 30 gold for a pair of speaking stones? The ones that are basically small magical radios that use mana (use die I believe) to convey speech? Or do you think we could use snail mail while inside the diving suits?

You get a lantern cover for 3 gold. As per difficulty, depends. Are you enchanting an existing flame to modify its properties? Or are you creating a magical fire with those properties? Modifying an existing flame would be harder, but the enchantment would draw power from the flame and continue to exist so long as the flame burnt. A magical fire is easier but has limited life.  In general though, its gonna be in the d6 to d8 levels and will or end depending on how.

[7+5v8] You get the suits down to 75 gold each.  And they come with the air tank needed, though you'll have to pay to get it refilled after use. But thats only 1 silver.

[3+1v6] You are caught by the gravetender in the midst of digging up a freshly buried body. Awkward!

Great, let's paint a lifesize firebird mount on a giant, foldable canvas. You know, just for fun.
And then after doing that for fun, enchant the bird-drawing to be animated out of its painting for half a day when the canvas is burned.

And then, eh, Let's make some cute little drawings and enchant them to do cute things on a loop, like a gif.

And pass me a mission, would you?

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
[3v2]
You paint yourself a phoenix  on a large canvas. Not a folding one, since you have no gold to buy it, but a big painting.

And some little doodles.

[16, 3+5v3][-6mana] You get them both enchanted as you desire. The doodles do their little doodle dances.

Balneum just blew up, so the powers that be are pretty sure the artillery systems from the east are advancing and wiping out anything in their path. Do you want to join a group heading out to do something about that? The alternative is to join up with forces further west and prepare fortifications.

I don't think I'm strong enough to take out that hive, either.  Not by half.  Still, things are better off, and I'll try again later, more prepared.  There must be some way to talk to these angels.

Burn the remainder of my 22 mana on empowering the storms generating force birds, with several temporary Strengthen Expand Grow Speed spells.  (Cast until under 4 mana.) They are to attack the hive now that the palace has been cleared.

Use the rest of the time I'm megabuffed to collect large quantities of gold from stray shots.  Aim for an amount best measured in tons.  If available, see if I can find a fully-dead angel diamond claw.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)

[-22 mana] You reinforce your birdie storms and then spend the remaining big girl time gathering up as much gold as you can and dumping it in the shuttle. You also grab plenty of dead angel bits, not just because they're pretty and valuable but because having the flesh of a dead god seems like something useful. In the end you gather...well its hard to say how much because weight isn't a thing here, but if you had to guess...when compressed down into a solid cube probably 10 foot cubed.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: October 16, 2020, 11:23:29 am »

Well, carrying that pheonix around would be difficult, so leave it behind.

Let's go directly to beat up some machines.

Pray for mana if I haven't squandered my trust already by using up mana by making anime and jumping in the river.

I can't think of any additional preparations I want to make so let's start traveling to the mission place already.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: October 17, 2020, 03:04:10 am »

That's 660 tons of gold, assuming the shuttle gets down okay.

(As such, will stop tracking gold count, and just track it by mass.  Also, going to do mana by magicoal conversions from now on, with PW's permission.)

First thing to do is to get a bit more knowlege.  Storing more words is going to be necessary, so..

Set up a potions bench powered by the mothmobile, with a Strengthen word so it can dump additional mana into potions, and make a potion with a d12 Strengthen spell for more knowledge in it.  Then feed the moth-plane magicoal until said potion is powerful enough to raise kno to d12 from the current d8.  Then drink it.

Second, there are some more useful words to get.  Send out some messages looking to acquire the words 'Viscera', 'Sharpen', 'Strength' (as opposed to strengthen), and, if available, 'Absorb'.  'Weapon' would also be good, or if it isn't available, some kind of Sword or Blade would do.  These can take a few turns to arrive, and should be all of d10 or d12 size.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 03:48:52 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: October 18, 2020, 08:24:04 am »

[3+1v6] You are caught by the gravetender in the midst of digging up a freshly buried body. Awkward!
Oh no! Scramble! If needed do an illusion spell using 'hair' and 'skin' to make us look different! Doesn't need to last long either, just to throw off the scent, so to speak.

[7+5v8] You get the suits down to 75 gold each.  And they come with the air tank needed, though you'll have to pay to get it refilled after use. But thats only 1 silver.
We'll buy them then.

Oh, and is it still 30 gold for a pair of speaking stones? The ones that are basically small magical radios that use mana (use die I believe) to convey speech? Or do you think we could use snail mail while inside the diving suits?

Finally, try to use the sunbroer staff to either find and command a sail fin or a flux worm.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:26:20 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: October 18, 2020, 04:23:56 pm »

Get away from gravekeeper.

Assuming that works, go shopping for the following:
- Local dishes: A main course, a dessert, and some form of drink. Don't go for some haute cuisine shit, I'm looking for something local that's hearty and filling, something that'll lift your spirit and keep you going after a long trek or a hard battle.
- Some material that's soft enough for me to cut with my claws, some form of wood or (soap)stone. Get enough for me to try and make a couple barbarian style statuettes of like 5-6 inches or so. Attempt to make some of the gods we met already, and one of the god we're going to go meet in the flux. If that doesn't work or if I don't know enough about them, make two statuettes of me and Darwin instead.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2945 on: October 20, 2020, 01:34:40 pm »

I'm quite busy today, doing this between assignments. So I'm just gonna be quick.

Well, carrying that pheonix around would be difficult, so leave it behind.

Let's go directly to beat up some machines.

Pray for mana if I haven't squandered my trust already by using up mana by making anime and jumping in the river.

I can't think of any additional preparations I want to make so let's start traveling to the mission place already.

Ok
Ok
Consider it filled.
Alright

So they're gonna stick you and several other MB's on a airship, along with a bunch of normal soldiers of the realm and send you out. The idea here is to get down onto one of the advancing artillery machines and either destroy it or take it over. If you can take it over, use it to destroy others. You have 5 mage breakers (including you) and 50 soldiers. They're gonna fly over the designated target, you (and the other MB's) drop and clear the landing area so the airship and its normal soldiers can come aboard.

Got it?

That's 660 tons of gold, assuming the shuttle gets down okay.

(As such, will stop tracking gold count, and just track it by mass.  Also, going to do mana by magicoal conversions from now on, with PW's permission.)

First thing to do is to get a bit more knowlege.  Storing more words is going to be necessary, so..

Set up a potions bench powered by the mothmobile, with a Strengthen word so it can dump additional mana into potions, and make a potion with a d12 Strengthen spell for more knowledge in it.  Then feed the moth-plane magicoal until said potion is powerful enough to raise kno to d12 from the current d8.  Then drink it.

Second, there are some more useful words to get.  Send out some messages looking to acquire the words 'Viscera', 'Sharpen', 'Strength' (as opposed to strengthen), and, if available, 'Absorb'.  'Weapon' would also be good, or if it isn't available, some kind of Sword or Blade would do.  These can take a few turns to arrive, and should be all of d10 or d12 size.

We'll assume you get back and the mana for the potion is...60.

You send the messengers out...You get "Weapon" in d12, but several of your messengers also go missing.

Oh no! Scramble! If needed do an illusion spell using 'hair' and 'skin' to make us look different! Doesn't need to last long either, just to throw off the scent, so to speak.

We'll buy them then.

Finally, try to use the sunbroer staff to either find and command a sail fin or a flux worm.

Get away from gravekeeper.

Assuming that works, go shopping for the following:
- Local dishes: A main course, a dessert, and some form of drink. Don't go for some haute cuisine shit, I'm looking for something local that's hearty and filling, something that'll lift your spirit and keep you going after a long trek or a hard battle.
- Some material that's soft enough for me to cut with my claws, some form of wood or (soap)stone. Get enough for me to try and make a couple barbarian style statuettes of like 5-6 inches or so. Attempt to make some of the gods we met already, and one of the god we're going to go meet in the flux. If that doesn't work or if I don't know enough about them, make two statuettes of me and Darwin instead.

You get away from the gravekeeper but you're pretty sure he would recognize you and you have to be careful in town from now on.

Bought.

Sure, for the stones. And might be able to mail in the suit but it would be tricky.

[1+5v2] You find a sailfin easily enough, and think you know where to get a worm. The sailfin is now under your control.

As per éclair, Post that over in discord and I'll give you some more details and stuff over there to save time.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: October 20, 2020, 06:14:17 pm »

Good to go. Where we droppin boys

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: October 21, 2020, 09:51:08 pm »

Scry for the missing people.  Use Strengthen View on a large piece of dirt or sand to temporarily make it into a pseudo-map of the regional area.  Then, Ekrov is to use his Human word to try and find the locations of the three missing people on it.

Alternatively, if that plan doesn't work, use his Human to enchant three compasses, one to each person.  The one I particularly care about was going after Viscera, but get the other two, too.

Also, in preparation for the trip, summon two big creatures to help.  One with d12 Strengthen Speed Grow Bird to summon about 2000 pounds of hawk or crow, black colouring preferred, and a d12 Strengthen Speed Grow Feline to summon a similarly sized melanistic sabretooth.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:21:35 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: October 23, 2020, 06:43:07 am »

((Agreed with pan that Darwin will take card of Ecalir's gold for easy bookkeeping.))
Charge up speaking stones with 5 mana each, give 1 to Ecalir.
Put some valuables in a watertight box (for sure artifacts like the glass map and lotus orb, the offerings, the translator book and such).

Leave our animal friends either in whatever stables equivalent they have here in town, or just leave them in a small camp at the shore, with clear instructions so Rexington doesn't try to snack on Yvonne or birbfriend.

Then take the sailfin and sail over the black flux, looking for either a flux worm or some sort of hint of where we need to go.   

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: October 23, 2020, 09:15:24 am »

As said on discord, spend 4 gold and 20 silver on the following:
- So you do manage to get some rather soft wood, that you're told is actually the dried internal structure of a cactus, and carve it into figurines of the gods you've met so far.
- 4 combo meals (main, dessert and drink) consisting of the following: A main course will be something like desert melon and roasted fish, bread and cooked vegetables. Desert would be fruit and yogurt, drink would be either water or alcohol. Probably alcohol.

Give the rest of my moolah to Darwin and then follow his lead

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2950 on: October 23, 2020, 11:14:38 am »

Good to go. Where we droppin boys

Unfortunately the drop plan doesn't quite work out.  You leave on one of the armored airships that you've been in before, its hold now absolutely packed with people. You see, as you board, at least two dozen other ships like it lifting off from headquarters or surrounding areas.  The entire city is moving into lockdown as well, with the gates closing and soldiers moving out into the streets and neighboring areas. Things are really starting to escalate.

You fly in relative silence for quite a while until the pilot announces the targets have been spotted. A moment or two after that and the shells start exploding.  You hear them from a distance at first and then to either side before they start detonating around you. Shrapnel tears through the airship and into the men within. The lights fail and everything becomes a chaotic mess of screaming and blood lit by the shafts of light from shrapnel holes.  The airship lists forward and dives as it loses buoyancy.  It noses into the dirt a short while later, going slowly enough that its a legitimate rough landing instead of a straight up crash. There's still screaming and moaning in the darkness of the hold, but you can make out your fellow mage breakers standing up. They seem uninjured. The rest of the soldiers are in a variety of states, some dead, others hurt, some uninjured but shaken.

Scry for the missing people.  Use Strengthen View on a large piece of dirt or sand to temporarily make it into a pseudo-map of the regional area.  Then, Ekrov is to use his Human word to try and find the locations of the three missing people on it.

Alternatively, if that plan doesn't work, use his Human to enchant three compasses, one to each person.  The one I particularly care about was going after Viscera, but get the other two, too.

Also, in preparation for the trip, summon two big creatures to help.  One with d12 Strengthen Speed Grow Bird to summon about 2000 pounds of hawk or crow, black colouring preferred, and a d12 Strengthen Speed Grow Feline to summon a similarly sized melanistic sabretooth.

[4+3v5] -5 mana
You find out that your messengers are laying dead in various places. You cannot tell the exact reason, you don't see their killers, but they don't seem to have been robbed, nor does it seem like a wild animal attack. They were killed purposefully, but not for food or money.

[rolls] -16 mana total. success in both cases.

((Agreed with pan that Darwin will take card of Ecalir's gold for easy bookkeeping.))
Charge up speaking stones with 5 mana each, give 1 to Ecalir.
Put some valuables in a watertight box (for sure artifacts like the glass map and lotus orb, the offerings, the translator book and such).

Leave our animal friends either in whatever stables equivalent they have here in town, or just leave them in a small camp at the shore, with clear instructions so Rexington doesn't try to snack on Yvonne or birbfriend.

Then take the sailfin and sail over the black flux, looking for either a flux worm or some sort of hint of where we need to go.   

Ok.
Ok.
Alright. 5 silver a day to house them.
[10+5v6] You discover and dominate a blux worm fairly easily. You actually do so without even getting a good look at it; you just see a part of its long body as it slithers in and out of the flux and catch it as it does so.  Its as big as a subway train and it seems to know what you're talking about when you "Question" it about some place beneath the flux.

As said on discord, spend 4 gold and 20 silver on the following:
- So you do manage to get some rather soft wood, that you're told is actually the dried internal structure of a cactus, and carve it into figurines of the gods you've met so far.
- 4 combo meals (main, dessert and drink) consisting of the following: A main course will be something like desert melon and roasted fish, bread and cooked vegetables. Desert would be fruit and yogurt, drink would be either water or alcohol. Probably alcohol.

Give the rest of my moolah to Darwin and then follow his lead

Moolah transfer complete.
Birb follow protocol activated.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: October 24, 2020, 12:35:31 am »

Can I go to where they were killed, for investigative purposes?  And do the bodies seem at least somewhat intact?

Two things left to do.. Partially disassemble the moth-mobile to get access to the Lightweight thaumic device, so I can take the word off it.  Try to leave it intact enough to replace later.  Second, in a similar manner, get the Restore word out of the magic rejuvinator that was purchased.

Then, conduct some biomodding in preparation for the next expedition.

Spoiler: Biomodding stuff (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:37:29 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: October 24, 2020, 12:50:33 am »

Heal all of the wounded and dead using two d12 Human spells.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:32:18 pm by Egan_BW »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: October 25, 2020, 09:23:59 am »

You get a lantern cover for 3 gold. As per difficulty, depends. Are you enchanting an existing flame to modify its properties? Or are you creating a magical fire with those properties? Modifying an existing flame would be harder, but the enchantment would draw power from the flame and continue to exist so long as the flame burnt. A magical fire is easier but has limited life.  In general though, its gonna be in the d6 to d8 levels and will or end depending on how.

Let's do that now before we go down. Since I think summoning rolls will, let's go for the 'creating' option. Retry a failure at least twice.

[10+5v6] You discover and dominate a blux worm fairly easily. You actually do so without even getting a good look at it; you just see a part of its long body as it slithers in and out of the flux and catch it as it does so.  Its as big as a subway train and it seems to know what you're talking about when you "Question" it about some place beneath the flux.

Ask our new wormfriend to surface and spread its mouth so we can climb in then and ride down Gepetto-style (make sure it doesn't accidentally crush us!). Thank the sailfin and ask it to hang around this area for a while, but if we stay away longer than like a day it can just leave.

Ask the worm to go to said place. If we run into any flux spiders or squealers along the way, ask if they can come along for now in case we need to do more exploration.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2954 on: October 31, 2020, 09:19:59 am »

Heal all of the wounded and dead using two d12 Human spells.

[18+5v11], [12+5v12] -23 mana
You wave a hand over the dying and injured men and the dark hold of the zeppelin fills with light for a moment as what appears to be greenish flames roll out across the bodies.  They groan and sit up, grasping at themselves and seeming quite relived and confused at the same time.

Can I go to where they were killed, for investigative purposes?  And do the bodies seem at least somewhat intact?

Two things left to do.. Partially disassemble the moth-mobile to get access to the Lightweight thaumic device, so I can take the word off it.  Try to leave it intact enough to replace later.  Second, in a similar manner, get the Restore word out of the magic rejuvinator that was purchased.

Then, conduct some biomodding in preparation for the next expedition.

Spoiler: Biomodding stuff (click to show/hide)

Sure. And their bodies seem reasonably intact; not torn apart with malice or hunger at least. Though they are very clearly dead and often hacked into a few pieces. It seems more out of expediency than hate though.

Ok to both. Assume its done.

Thats a lot...lets see...the important question is cost and where it can fail. hmmm.
Bird gets sharp, grows bone razor like thing on the leading edge of the wing
Kitty also gets sharp.
[2+3v2] Lucky. You get yourself transformed.
You can do limited flight.
Done.
Done.
Done on all those other small things. Now cost is....575 mana.

Let's do that now before we go down. Since I think summoning rolls will, let's go for the 'creating' option. Retry a failure at least twice.

Ask our new wormfriend to surface and spread its mouth so we can climb in then and ride down Gepetto-style (make sure it doesn't accidentally crush us!). Thank the sailfin and ask it to hang around this area for a while, but if we stay away longer than like a day it can just leave.

Ask the worm to go to said place. If we run into any flux spiders or squealers along the way, ask if they can come along for now in case we need to do more exploration.

[-2] mana. The flame will last 1 hour.

You get into the worm's mouth, which is a rather harrowing experience due to the giant circular maw filled with triangular teeth. Everything about doing it makes your brain scream obscenities at you. Regardless you do get in and do tell it to go down. You're not entirely sure where it goes or how deep, since you're riding blind in the mouth and that lantern that sees through flux doesn't help much with wormflesh. However, eventually the ride stops and you can dully hear the worm resting itself against the bottom.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 203