Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359765 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2730 on: July 17, 2020, 11:48:35 am »

"Your unprovoked attack on innocents forfeited any such claims you once had. If you had simply asked for it, that'd be different. But not after you did this. I won't give the Sword to murderers."
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:10:40 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: July 17, 2020, 12:12:59 pm »

"This beast is very strong, and appears to be made of some sort of enchanted metal. If anyone has supplies which they believe will help destroy it, please notify me."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: July 17, 2020, 06:43:05 pm »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: July 17, 2020, 06:46:22 pm »

Alright, can a brother have a debriefing? Pertinent information to share is the information I got from the scans of the moving fortress and the rough location of the one human in the city.

I trimmed out just my parts of the turns for this entire mission and posted it just above this post, if you need to check something. Should be easier to find things that way.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: July 17, 2020, 06:56:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
”I heard you could banish angelic beings. People have gone missing in Old Kaolin. I went there and found an underground passage containing various belongings of people, however the people were nowhere to be found. In the chamber I found a spirit that looks like a helix with golden wings. This spirit tried attacking me, it stayed underground instead of chasing me to the surface. I made my way back to New Kaolin and told the priests what happened, and they mentioned that the spirit I found was an angelic one made by the Sky Goddess. They told me you could assist in banishing it”

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: July 19, 2020, 12:36:17 am »

Ok.  Stop by IRC if you can at some point and I'll pick a space.

Hug the newly-buffed Benedict for some mana.  Hopefully he's pretty happy at being giant again.  He's also not enchanted so should have a lot of mana.

I'll convert whatever mana is necessary for this turn through Ekrov.  Work with him on the gun-related stuff.

Try to make some of that gold wire into gold thread, using some of the thaumic tools.  Then, reshape the biometal helmet into some kind of biometal weaver, say a spider with needles and what not or a 4kg pixie or somesuch, that will be capable of sewing some new threads into my armour-cloth.

Ask Ekrov to help with the changes.. I'd like him to use his Universal Lube to do these next steps.

As gold thread might be too fragile and break if the outfit takes damage, lets use thread made of modified sapphire.  Use one or more Strengthen Expand spells to make a couple sapphires of equivalent volume to the thread.  The lube is to be used to swap the flexability of some normal thread with the flexability of the sapphire.  Then, swap the shape of the gold wire with the sapphire, hopefully turning it into sapphire wire.  Lastly, swap the thing that makes gold conductive to magic with the same element inside the gemstone.

Then, use the bioweaver to weave my armour up with thaum-conductive sapphire thread.  Include little attachment loops so I can hook it up to, say, that fighter-spirit made into plate armour or other gold wire attachment points.  Make sure it covers all the body, including the wings, from neck to toe.

"Ekrov, I'm doing this to improve my armour.  Do you think you could make some weapons for me?  It'd be very nice to have a gun.  And my spear could use some hardening."

"I think I'm going to go out hunting and make sure there's no dangerous monsters in the area."

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:03:34 am by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: July 19, 2020, 02:10:11 am »

Perform the lube swaps for Saeko.

Set up the various artisanal tools Saeko bought us.  Then take one of the clockwork machine guns and strip it down heavily.  Shorten the barrel a whole ton, cut off unnecessary metal parts, modify the mechanism to lower the rate of fire, and redo the ergonomics to fit Saeko.  The goal is to make a more wieldy battle-rifle weight gun for her, which between the heavily shortened barrel and lowered rate of fire should remain decently controllable.  I am assuming these guns are closer to M60 MMGs than M2 HMGs; if the latter, it might be better to just use magic and summon up a new gun.

If the gun is successfully downsized, and is still decently effective, start enchantments.  The first one will be a simple powered enchantment on the entire gun, which uses "banish" to remove all sound of its operation while being fired.  So pay mana cost -> gun is completely silent.

The second "enchantment" is more an experiment with thaumics.  I want to attach one of those word crystals to the gun, with "speed" and "force" (from Saeko) engraved on it.  A gold wire will lead inside the barrel, and the intent is for it to accelerate any bullets that travel past while the thaumic device is active.  Pay thaumic cost -> next burst will have higher damage.  Hopefully this added force will be recoilless because it's magically sourced, while still having comparable damage to the full size machine guns.

Otherwise, repair all the broken machine guns from the recovered cache.  There's six.  Just use "clockwork" to summon up any missing/broken parts that can't be replaced or repaired.

...While working on the various guns, idly chat with the guide.  Ask it about the mechanist war; what sparked the war?  Who were the Mechanists?  Why were they so aggressive?  What did they gain by bringing down Gravid?

Finally, melt magicoal.  And roll for one barrel's number of chunks, I'm going to start tracking the barrel's remaining chunks myself.  Each barrel has 3d20+10 pieces, according to Dev's sheet.

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: July 19, 2020, 06:43:44 am »

Bring speed up to +2. Then sneak around the murderbird-croc to reach the temple.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: July 20, 2020, 07:32:50 am »

Follow Ecalir's lead, use sunbro staff as before to help with stealth and create distractions when/if necessary.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2739 on: July 21, 2020, 12:30:56 pm »

"Your unprovoked attack on innocents forfeited any such claims you once had. If you had simply asked for it, that'd be different. But not after you did this. I won't give the Sword to murderers."
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
"We...will have..it" He says, and seems to be recovering from whatever latent effects the paralysis left him with. He must be pretty extensively different from humans if thats the case though, since the human crew members are still on the ground.

"This beast is very strong, and appears to be made of some sort of enchanted metal. If anyone has supplies which they believe will help destroy it, please notify me."
One of the other guards with you informs you he has an acid canister that should do a lot of damage to the machine, but he's kind of hesitant to use it. If that machine could be taken down with minimal damage, it would be extremely valuable. Enough to get everyone on the expedition a hefty paycheck.

Alright, can a brother have a debriefing? Pertinent information to share is the information I got from the scans of the moving fortress and the rough location of the one human in the city.

I trimmed out just my parts of the turns for this entire mission and posted it just above this post, if you need to check something. Should be easier to find things that way.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
The debriefing isn't handled by the captain, instead its that one man, the one that apparently tasked Saeko with the core gathering and such. You hear from the others he's something of the king's advisor or personal speaker, and that he often oversees things directly under the King's orders. He, apparently, has been doing this since before anyone here was alive. Despite his rather unimpressive appearance, he must be something quite special.

You explain to him everything you saw and learned and he listens patiently, only interjecting with question or clarification occasionally. When you finish he seems to consider things for a long moment, eyes closed, nodding. Finally he opens his eyes and speaks.

"The lands beyond our kingdom are varied but the vast majority are long dead. Beyond our borders magic has dried up entirely and only inert sand and dry earth remain. Those beings who struggle on in that place must be sustained at great expense and effort, no doubt. And they no doubt desire our lands and our resources. Men who have lived without water for hundreds of years know there is an oasis on the horizon and they will do anything to take it.

The old war was the last ditch effort of a dying civilization to take that salvation by force...this is something else. Colder. More calculated. They have been building their forces this whole time and I would not be surprised if they had far more metal bodies to throw at us than last time.

We can fight, but I would prefer something different. A more subtle route. A method of undermining them on a fundamental level. Their precision of construction will be their downfall."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
”I heard you could banish angelic beings. People have gone missing in Old Kaolin. I went there and found an underground passage containing various belongings of people, however the people were nowhere to be found. In the chamber I found a spirit that looks like a helix with golden wings. This spirit tried attacking me, it stayed underground instead of chasing me to the surface. I made my way back to New Kaolin and told the priests what happened, and they mentioned that the spirit I found was an angelic one made by the Sky Goddess. They told me you could assist in banishing it”

"Angelic things aren't 'Made" by the goddess. Not really at least. Same as earth doesn't make flowers and water doesn't intend to smooth stones. Without them it wouldn't happen but its not their choice.  Anyways, yeah, we can help with that I think. Though it seems like a pretty tough one. You see why it was there? Something that seemed to be anchoring it or giving it reason to stay?"

Follow Ecalir's lead, use sunbro staff as before to help with stealth and create distractions when/if necessary.

Bring speed up to +2. Then sneak around the murderbird-croc to reach the temple.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
[6+2][8+1]
Both Eclair and Darwin scramble around in the underbrush and mud and manage to get round to the other side of the big lizard and the stairs of the temple. They scramble up those stairs like big weird lizards and up to the top. At the top is a doorway, barred by a huge stone slab door. A picture of a sun, with a snake coiled round it, is emblazoned on that door. A quick try finds the stone slab tightly shut.

Ok.  Stop by IRC if you can at some point and I'll pick a space.

Hug the newly-buffed Benedict for some mana.  Hopefully he's pretty happy at being giant again.  He's also not enchanted so should have a lot of mana.

I'll convert whatever mana is necessary for this turn through Ekrov.  Work with him on the gun-related stuff.

Try to make some of that gold wire into gold thread, using some of the thaumic tools.  Then, reshape the biometal helmet into some kind of biometal weaver, say a spider with needles and what not or a 4kg pixie or somesuch, that will be capable of sewing some new threads into my armour-cloth.

Ask Ekrov to help with the changes.. I'd like him to use his Universal Lube to do these next steps.

As gold thread might be too fragile and break if the outfit takes damage, lets use thread made of modified sapphire.  Use one or more Strengthen Expand spells to make a couple sapphires of equivalent volume to the thread.  The lube is to be used to swap the flexability of some normal thread with the flexability of the sapphire.  Then, swap the shape of the gold wire with the sapphire, hopefully turning it into sapphire wire.  Lastly, swap the thing that makes gold conductive to magic with the same element inside the gemstone.

Then, use the bioweaver to weave my armour up with thaum-conductive sapphire thread.  Include little attachment loops so I can hook it up to, say, that fighter-spirit made into plate armour or other gold wire attachment points.  Make sure it covers all the body, including the wings, from neck to toe.

"Ekrov, I'm doing this to improve my armour.  Do you think you could make some weapons for me?  It'd be very nice to have a gun.  And my spear could use some hardening."

"I think I'm going to go out hunting and make sure there's no dangerous monsters in the area."

I'll try but I have very limited access here. To IRC at least, since it isn't exactly the most cellphone friendly application.

12 mana

I'm running out of time here so I'm just gonna say "Ok" to all this. It looks fine, switching properties about and such as ya do, and nothing stands out as impossible or unreasonable so I'll just say ok to it. lets see....8 mana for the weaver transformation though.

Perform the lube swaps for Saeko.

Set up the various artisanal tools Saeko bought us.  Then take one of the clockwork machine guns and strip it down heavily.  Shorten the barrel a whole ton, cut off unnecessary metal parts, modify the mechanism to lower the rate of fire, and redo the ergonomics to fit Saeko.  The goal is to make a more wieldy battle-rifle weight gun for her, which between the heavily shortened barrel and lowered rate of fire should remain decently controllable.  I am assuming these guns are closer to M60 MMGs than M2 HMGs; if the latter, it might be better to just use magic and summon up a new gun.

If the gun is successfully downsized, and is still decently effective, start enchantments.  The first one will be a simple powered enchantment on the entire gun, which uses "banish" to remove all sound of its operation while being fired.  So pay mana cost -> gun is completely silent.

The second "enchantment" is more an experiment with thaumics.  I want to attach one of those word crystals to the gun, with "speed" and "force" (from Saeko) engraved on it.  A gold wire will lead inside the barrel, and the intent is for it to accelerate any bullets that travel past while the thaumic device is active.  Pay thaumic cost -> next burst will have higher damage.  Hopefully this added force will be recoilless because it's magically sourced, while still having comparable damage to the full size machine guns.

Otherwise, repair all the broken machine guns from the recovered cache.  There's six.  Just use "clockwork" to summon up any missing/broken parts that can't be replaced or repaired.

...While working on the various guns, idly chat with the guide.  Ask it about the mechanist war; what sparked the war?  Who were the Mechanists?  Why were they so aggressive?  What did they gain by bringing down Gravid?

Finally, melt magicoal.  And roll for one barrel's number of chunks, I'm going to start tracking the barrel's remaining chunks myself.  Each barrel has 3d20+10 pieces, according to Dev's sheet.

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)
Ugh.

Ok so before we reenter tinker hell, I'mma stop ya here. Specifcally because in this game when it comes to weapons there's really only a few things to mess with. Weight, damage, and range. Weight and range are kinda squishy and subjective to my judgement, damage is a hard dice roll of objectivity.  As such, everything else is effectively cosmetic, at least in terms of mechanics. So rather than getting super in depth here and saying you make all these changes and such and then I shrug and change literally nothing for your gun, lets instead work it like this: What are these modifications changing about the gun? Mechanically I mean.

Ok. How much mana you wanna pump in to create the "Battery" size? Remember the amount of mana it can hold is equal to initial mana investment minus the cost of the actual spell.  For the silence spell it will use mana very very slowly except when being fired, when it will use it pretty rapidly.

The thaumic machine thing works, the only issue being getting the wire to touch the bullet and release the mana at the right time. Otherwise you'll increase the force and speed of either the air or the inner barrel of the gun.  For a rifle this would be easy, but for something rapid fire its more difficult.

I'm gonna call this a 25 mana job and say its done.

They were a technologically advanced group of non-magic using people from the east that attacked during the declining years of the age of magic. Their attack was, according to what it knows, unprovoked. They desired to conquer this land for their own use, as their land was growing rapidly infertile and barren. As part of this attack they attacked the "Void cities" including Gravid. It is uncertain if the crash was intentional or a side effect of the fighting.

30 pieces in the barrel. 23 mana this turn from 1.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: July 21, 2020, 12:45:33 pm »

Basically, make a machine gun into a man-portable automatic rifle.  Work some stuff into it so that mana can be applied for extra damage.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:47:26 pm by Devastator »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: July 21, 2020, 01:44:21 pm »

Try and convince him to allow me to use the acid
"If you give me the acid, I'll use a little as possible. I only need enough to disable the beast."
Ask others to join me
"I'll allow anyone who joins me to keep some of what salvage is left once the beast is killed.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: July 22, 2020, 02:55:44 am »

Try tapping our sunbro staff against the door. Also let Darwin touch it, maybe his covenant with Alizarin will be recognized?

If that doesn't do anything, consider whether opening this door would require a specific artifact or key of some sorts, or if we more need to present a certain type of item (eg. something related to the sun and something related to the dead goddess from this place).

If it seems like we really need a specific item, then first check if there are no side entrances or anything like that. If not, Ecalir can try to blow us a hole into the temple with the manasword. First tap the door with the lotus orb in case there is a protective enchantment over it.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 04:33:23 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: July 22, 2020, 07:05:34 pm »

Use the recovered water-producing basin from the ruins of Gravid for part of a thaumic building.  Use it, along with Chemical, Grow, and Plant from the various word-jades to make an artificial mana-powered stream, that can be filled with chemicals intended as impossibly effective plant fertilizer.

Aim for efficiency, and try to find out how much land can be watered and fertilized for one mana/day, and what (if any) more words will help make it more mana-efficient.

It is to be powered and controlled through a wire hooked up to the mothplane.  Give it a chunk of magicoal if it needs a top-up, but at 1 mana/day, should be fine for a while.

Also, get my thaum (33) converted to mana through Ekrov.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:36:45 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: July 23, 2020, 02:28:16 am »

"Hey Ekrov, thanks for the gun.  I'll need it in order to go level up."
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 203