Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 360048 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2505 on: April 28, 2020, 07:46:24 pm »

Try to use the crystal and speak "Unlock Core" and similar phrases, "unlock", "remove", etcetera, to see if it can handle translation in and of itself.  If that doesn't work, get Ekrov and the library of books and use more words to try and translate the ones I've found into this language, to see if they're like sensible commands or like passworded gibberish, using what the commands do to help with the process.  Can use more View spells to get more translated words to also help with it.

(Also, out of time.  We either succeed with this, or one other action tomorrow, or we go with alternatives to recovering the core.  There is no time to consult with the person we got the key from and get back here.)

Crew is to continue excavating the palace.  Can it be entered yet?

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2506 on: April 30, 2020, 12:20:00 pm »

Try to paint something... unknowable. Something that should be impossible to depict. (Attempt a painting with d100 difficulty, preferably rolling Will.)

Eat coal, leveling Speed then Knowledge.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
[1+5 v 13(yes, on a d100)]

Something goes wrong and you feel...strange. like something is behind you all the time, staring at you. You look but can't see it.

1 coal, 23 11 mana

You hear screaming at a great distance.

No action lastturn to repost.
Spoiler: OG Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

No mutations either.

I am suspicious that this could be some kind of spirit-drain or mana-drain effect. Look into the origin of the crystals and what their current function is. Also, ask Adam why he's avoiding the crystals, and if I should be afraid of them too?
No sheet means I can't really roll for anything here.

What you can find without rolling is that apparently they used to be part of the industrial process here somehow. Adam says that they "eat" things like him. Not in those words but thats what you take his rather cryptic messages to mean.

Once the wood is summoned, use the sunbro staff to manipulate it into forming a wooden prison around the blob. Not like a cage since it could probably just move through, but a fully enclosed wood sphere of sorts to trap it. If that works, try to harden/thicken/reinforce the walls to ensure it stays trapped for a while.

Should that work out, then try to move to those ruins and look for that urn. Try to decipher the instructions once we find it.

Operation cage the beast: Use 'wood' to summon a block of wood for Darwin to use, try and summon it close to the blob. Try to aim for a D6 spell at most.
Let's give it a maximum of 3 tries before giving up.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
[2+2v4] -4 mana (pancaek)
[7+2 v 1] -2 mana, -2 mana (Radio)
The block of wood comes into existence between the fleeing people and the goo. Darwin points his staff at it and the wood flows like liquid, expanding to a great size and swallowing up the entire mass of sludge in a single rapid bite.  It reforms itself into a sphere slowly, shrinking down as the creature within attempts to bash its way out. The wood darkens and grows shinier, apparently hardening. It all goes very well...until the violent thrashing of the creature inside the sphere sends the sphere rolling back down the path at increasingly high speeds.

Try to use the crystal and speak "Unlock Core" and similar phrases, "unlock", "remove", etcetera, to see if it can handle translation in and of itself.  If that doesn't work, get Ekrov and the library of books and use more words to try and translate the ones I've found into this language, to see if they're like sensible commands or like passworded gibberish, using what the commands do to help with the process.  Can use more View spells to get more translated words to also help with it.

(Also, out of time.  We either succeed with this, or one other action tomorrow, or we go with alternatives to recovering the core.  There is no time to consult with the person we got the key from and get back here.)

Crew is to continue excavating the palace.  Can it be entered yet?

[6+2v4]
You go into the king's room and speak the phrase you think will unlock the core. The core stops spinning and gently floats down onto your hands. It seems magnetized to the the key but doesn't seem to weigh anything.

The excavation has been completed to the point that it can be entered. They haven't gone in yet, but it seems like there are large sections of unburied space.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: May 01, 2020, 06:39:14 am »

Sheet

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)

maybe they should just get rid of the crystals? I'm certain I don't want to touch the things anymore. and if they're making people ache then they could be getting more starved and agressive so I need to assuming I'm on a time limit. I need to at the very least make the attempt to get a better ID on these things before giving my advice though, not just suggest getting rid of the things without a positive ID on what they are and what they're doing and why.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:18:38 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: May 01, 2020, 09:08:30 am »

Use sunbro staff to form a few long wooden spikes out of the plantsphere to stop it from rolling down the mountain (grow more wood if needed, don't wanna reduce the structural integrity of the prison too much).

Should that work out, then try to move to those ruins and look for that urn. Try to decipher the instructions once we find it. Oh, and did those travelers make it out safely?

Also consider if we should say the words while the thing is inside the prison, or should it hear them, or what.

Finally, think about how we should get the spirit, which seems to be kinda liquidy, into that container. Would those prongs still work, or could Darwin perhaps use a short-lived 'vacuum' spell inside the jar to suck it up?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:21:10 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: May 02, 2020, 01:19:40 am »

Stow the city core inside the gold-lined bag prepared for it, and then inside my backpack.

With two days left, there are three things I want to check out today.

1.  Find forge 8, the place the captive sparrow-fighter spirit was made at and can provide directions to.  Recover whatever looks good from it.  Don't examine things too closely or disassemble them yet, not enough time.

2.  Recover one of the precious-metal filled control suits from the control room.  Again, I'll disassemble and check for words later.

3.  The Palace.  Begin exploring it.

Crew is to help recover a control suit and remove valuables from the palace.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: May 02, 2020, 04:24:31 am »

1.Go around with Painting Saeko and examine the architecture supporting the magicoal storage room, where the magicoal pile is.  Specifically, try and figure out if it could take a whole bunch of additional weight being added--Saeko wants to lock off the room by summoning a giant wall of steel in front of the door, but is worried that this might possibly cause a collapse or something.

2+.As my action last turn said to do: Go look through the golem hangars with painting Saeko, taking inventory of surviving golems and judging their purpose/designs.  Maybe knock some aristocrat keys off of them, or yell at them while waving the keys around.

3+.To add to that, figure out how much power the smaller ones would require for temporary activation.  I'm gonna have to decide which of them (if any) to take next turn, so I'd like to get all necessary information this turn.

4.Since the work crews are done digging, have them collect all the clockwork robots into one room.  All of them.  Take inventory of all the surviving parts, and figure out how many complete bodies could be pieced together from the parts.  Ekrov looted 35 undamaged mainsprings before, so that's the hard cap for how many robots he can repair, but if there's more bodies than that I'd like to know.

5.Can Painting Saeko survive off the mana that's radiated off the magicoal pile?  How about the mana absorber that was set up in there--can she take mana from that, to prolong her existence?

6.Put on one of the control suits.  Power it... however it's supposed to be powered, worst case just jam mana into the gold line that leads to it.  What's it do?  What's it show?

7.Remember the silver antimagic armor?  I want to plate the exterior of Ekrov's exoskeleton with that stuff.  Don't do this if it's exceptionally difficult (d12 or higher), can be done later with better tools.

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: May 04, 2020, 09:11:40 am »

If RC's thing with the staff doesn't work, try and use "wood" to grow similar portrusions in an effort to stop the ball. Don't use more than 6 mana though, and only a single try.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: May 04, 2020, 12:12:58 pm »

Have Ek look behind me with his third eye.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2513 on: May 04, 2020, 12:52:54 pm »

Sheet

maybe they should just get rid of the crystals? I'm certain I don't want to touch the things anymore. and if they're making people ache then they could be getting more starved and agressive so I need to assuming I'm on a time limit. I need to at the very least make the attempt to get a better ID on these things before giving my advice though, not just suggest getting rid of the things without a positive ID on what they are and what they're doing and why.
[1v1] Lucky.

You're pretty sure these crystals have some sort of mana regulation capacity; sort of like overflow protection. Makes sense considering the powerful magic these labs were involved with. You think the sound and the effects seen in the town are likely the result of them growing and absorbing more mana. As to why that is, you're not sure. However, destroying them might be a dangerous prospect; they might still have functions you don't know of. If these things are drawing more mana, that means they "think" there is more mana around here to draw.  You'll need to find out more about how they work and what could be throwing them off.

If RC's thing with the staff doesn't work, try and use "wood" to grow similar portrusions in an effort to stop the ball. Don't use more than 6 mana though, and only a single try.

Use sunbro staff to form a few long wooden spikes out of the plantsphere to stop it from rolling down the mountain (grow more wood if needed, don't wanna reduce the structural integrity of the prison too much).

Should that work out, then try to move to those ruins and look for that urn. Try to decipher the instructions once we find it. Oh, and did those travelers make it out safely?

Also consider if we should say the words while the thing is inside the prison, or should it hear them, or what.

Finally, think about how we should get the spirit, which seems to be kinda liquidy, into that container. Would those prongs still work, or could Darwin perhaps use a short-lived 'vacuum' spell inside the jar to suck it up?

[7v1]
The orb immediately roots itself into the ground and stops rolling. It still shakes as the thing inside tries to escape but doesn't seem able to. After checking the travelers are ok, you check around for the source of this thing. [10v4]

Finding it is easy...there's some sort of magical stream outside it slowly eroding it. Clearly this is the work of another wizard. Inside you find the urn, though its badly damaged. Looks like someone smashed it with a rock. [3+1v5] You can't make out exactly what it says because of the damage. Maybe the priests would have a better idea? You hand it over to Eclair and he immediately recognizes it as a magical symbol, one for "COMMAND".

You think that the magic of "Command" is likely the way to get it in and seal it there.

Stow the city core inside the gold-lined bag prepared for it, and then inside my backpack.

With two days left, there are three things I want to check out today.

1.  Find forge 8, the place the captive sparrow-fighter spirit was made at and can provide directions to.  Recover whatever looks good from it.  Don't examine things too closely or disassemble them yet, not enough time.

2.  Recover one of the precious-metal filled control suits from the control room.  Again, I'll disassemble and check for words later.

3.  The Palace.  Begin exploring it.

Crew is to help recover a control suit and remove valuables from the palace.

1. Forge 8 is one of the already mapped automatic assembly centers. Badly damaged though, signs of combat and explosives being used. You get a small amount of assembled pieces and raw components for fliers.

2. Ok.

3. The palace was once clearly very nice but the crash shattered it and turned it into a series of marble walled sand caves, half flooded with sand and half open. You have to crawl and move carefully to prevent staring cascades of sand or getting sucked into chambers. Its a delicate balance. Many chambers appear to have been bedrooms or offices, heavily decayed by now but there are still valuables to be found. Gold and jewelry mostly. The crew has also started carting out statues and other ornamentation from the rooms. A lot of it is pretty big and heavy though, so benedict wouldn't be ideal as conveyance.  Of importance though is you think you've found either the main dining hall or maybe the throne room. Half buried still, but the tip of what looks like a throne pokes out of the sands.

1.Go around with Painting Saeko and examine the architecture supporting the magicoal storage room, where the magicoal pile is.  Specifically, try and figure out if it could take a whole bunch of additional weight being added--Saeko wants to lock off the room by summoning a giant wall of steel in front of the door, but is worried that this might possibly cause a collapse or something.

2+.As my action last turn said to do: Go look through the golem hangars with painting Saeko, taking inventory of surviving golems and judging their purpose/designs.  Maybe knock some aristocrat keys off of them, or yell at them while waving the keys around.

3+.To add to that, figure out how much power the smaller ones would require for temporary activation.  I'm gonna have to decide which of them (if any) to take next turn, so I'd like to get all necessary information this turn.

4.Since the work crews are done digging, have them collect all the clockwork robots into one room.  All of them.  Take inventory of all the surviving parts, and figure out how many complete bodies could be pieced together from the parts.  Ekrov looted 35 undamaged mainsprings before, so that's the hard cap for how many robots he can repair, but if there's more bodies than that I'd like to know.

5.Can Painting Saeko survive off the mana that's radiated off the magicoal pile?  How about the mana absorber that was set up in there--can she take mana from that, to prolong her existence?

6.Put on one of the control suits.  Power it... however it's supposed to be powered, worst case just jam mana into the gold line that leads to it.  What's it do?  What's it show?

7.Remember the silver antimagic armor?  I want to plate the exterior of Ekrov's exoskeleton with that stuff.  Don't do this if it's exceptionally difficult (d12 or higher), can be done later with better tools.

1. The black stone this place is made of seems extremely strong so she thinks so. It survived falling out of the sky remarkably intact so...a bit of extra weight is probably fine.
2. The golems you can find are of the following kinds: Worker, Maintenance, Warrior, and Guide. They're all humanoid through of difference sizes and general appearance. The maintenance is the size of a child  but with long thin limbs and fingers. Appears to have 4 hands instead of 2 hands and 2 feet. The guide looks most like a normal human and is very elegant, with what looks like mother of pearl body, golden mask face and silk robes (now decayed). Worker is the largest, with 3 pairs of arms and 4 legs, but a fairly normal humanoid head, chest and pelvis; though the proportions are swollen. The warrior is the oddest. Second largest, with one arm resembling a segmented scimitar and the other a more normal but asymmetrically large arm.  The head is like a thick and short hexagonal rod, almost like an elongated Bolt. There are what look like vents on its legs and back and its feet are like a wide cone that can either split into 4 segments to form a flat, 4 pointed foot, or hold together to form a spike instead. None of these react, but none are fueled either.
3. The smallest looks like it takes 1 coal in its internal furnace. Judging by the demarcations on a gauge near the furnace, you think that should power it for a week or so.
4. Sorry boss, other boss says we're looting the palace right now.
5. Ambient or concentrated CAN prolong her.
7. If we're just talking about taking the existing armor and cutting or reforming it so it is formed around the suit like a giant set of plate armor, thats fine. Consider it done. Its not complete coverage (joints and such) bit its pretty good.
8. Powering just the suits doesn't do much. The core being gone likely doesn't help.

Have Ek look behind me with his third eye.

We'll assume you ask him to do this.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: May 04, 2020, 01:07:33 pm »

Well, just waiting to go back now.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: May 04, 2020, 01:42:16 pm »

I need to find a old-timer or town historian or someone who used to be a part of the industrial process here so I can find out the history behind the crystal. Ask Adam if spirits are active nearby as well, maybe I can get information from them, despite how cryptic they would probably be even with Adam assisting? But I'll be assuming the crystals are buying time for now, and are symptoms of the real problem, not the problem itself.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: May 05, 2020, 12:12:25 am »

Last day here, we leave tomorrow.

Ekrov can use the crew today.

Three things on the agenda today.

Use a Strengthen Bird spell to summon a bird with enough intelligence to act as a messenger and return the King's Key to the person I took it from.  Then give the bird the king's key and one lump of magicoal.  Write a short letter thanking the person for the loan, along with, if possible, the commands I've discovered about what the key can be used for.  Include a second letter with information about the upcoming auction.  The bird can either return or go about its business after delivering the stuff for me.

Retry failures.

Second, continue looting the palace.  If that's a dining room, look for cutlery and tableware, plates, cups, tablecloths, etcetera.  These should be very good price-for-weight, and are in more affordable chunks for the individual.  If it's a throne room, find what there is to find.

What I'd like in particular is at least one large mirror, probably for keeping but I'll sell extras if more than one can be found.  Since there were bedrooms and offices, there might be one.  If none is found, more fine clothing is also good.

Thirdly, summon some steel walls.  If I can, top up on mana from the drain point. (been running about four days) Then take up the d10 Wall word from the disassembled force-field projector, and summon some walls to block off and reinforce the mana room.  Use Strengthen Permanent Steel Wall.  Block off the door and drainer..  I don't want the thing to blow up after some kind of gold rush results from us cashing in all this loot in the capital.

If the others make a more permanent arrangement for painting-saeko, integrate their solution.  Block the drainer off if none is made, she can be given additional mana before we leave tomorrow, and we can return via portal to provide a more permanent solution.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:50:53 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: May 06, 2020, 04:50:42 pm »

Ok then, we came up with a plan:

Ecalir tattoos the word, preferably on a patch of his body that'd be somewhat easy to replace if he wants to (so not the face, for example). In the meantime Darwin looks around this room a bit to see if there's other noteworthy things or what the purpose of this place was. Take that jar with us at any rate.

Then we go to the plant sphere. Ecalir will do the first command spell, to get the spirit out of the body (d8 as you said).

If that spells works, he'll hold the jar against the sphere, and Darwin will use sunbro staff to open a small hole at that place (so that the only escape is into the jar). Then Ecalir will use the second command spell (d6) to command it into the jar, then he'll close the jar.

Finally Darwin will open the plant sphere, retrieve the person inside and check her vitals, then we go back to Kaolin proper.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 04:57:26 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: May 07, 2020, 06:57:48 am »

1.Take a guide and maintenance golem, and... add them to the pile of loot we plan to take.

2.Have the work crews collect all the clockwork robots into one room.  All of them.  Take inventory of all the surviving parts, and figure out how many complete bodies could be pieced together from the parts.  Ekrov looted 35 undamaged mainsprings before, so that's the hard cap for how many robots he can repair, but if there's more bodies than that I'd like to know.

3.Could Ekrov use clockwork to enchant a single robot's brain to obey spoken instructions given to it, without ever acting violently towards anyone?  Idea is to leave one robot with Painting Saeko, as a bit of extra muscle.  Maybe she can do some work recovering stuff while we're gone.

4.Assemble five robots (four if one couldn't easily be modified to leave with painting saeko), leaving them complete but without their mainspring power sources.

5. String out some gold wire from the mana catcher, so that it can be drained without entering the magicoal room, even after Saeko's blocked it off with steel.

6. Try to find a water-summoning thaumic item.  A faucet from the king's room, a sprinkler in the farms, wherever--I just figure they must have an item that summons water from magic, and that'd be a nice thing to rip out and loot.

7. Find the biggest thaumic aircraft that's still intact, and preferably close to the exterior surface so that it's easier to get out of the ruins.  Something like a cargo plane, ideally.  Try to talk to its spirit, while holding high ranking keys, and cast a human-based spell to predict whether it'd be dangerous if reactivated.  If both the talking and the spell indicate that it's safe to do so, give it a small amount of coal and reactivate it.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: May 07, 2020, 07:59:08 am »

Follow 'The Plan'.

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 203