Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359709 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #390 on: June 17, 2017, 11:01:37 am »

Yeah, I get that feeling too. However This is the curse of offering freedom; nothing is making anyone do that. You can go do whatever you want; people just decided to try and grind up mana continously. Which I realize is kind of my fault for how the game was set up. Then again, I gave one group basically a fully functional blimp to play with and they just stopped posting. Its this thing were I create a big world full of stuff to do but people don't want to do anything or when confronted with lots of choices just don't do anything anyways.

The alternative, and this is one of the original possiblities of the game was just confining everyone to a mapped alkahest and turning this into a literal magical gang war with the overarching goal of controlling all territories in the city. The problem I ran into with that idea was time: Specifically units of time. Should I force a universal unit that each turn was? An hour is a fine unit until you start having players fight or some people sleeping or not sleeping and turns are spent waiting for someone else to finish. And if I say fuck it than suddenly two people throw a couple of punches in the time  it takes one person to graffiti tag up a whole block.  Thats the big issue I couldn't find an answer to. Otherwise I would have done it that way, since there's more motivation when people who want to kill you are a few blocks away.

One thing might be that it's very slow. That may have been my choices though.
Thats unfortunately beyond my control these days. Besides weekends I have like 4 hours between when I get home from work and when I go to bed so I can wake up and not feel like crap the next morning. And in that time I still have to eat, take a shower, do any errands my dad wants, etc. I just don't have enough to time to create big turns with good expansive writing every day.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 17, 2017, 11:11:16 am »

Nina's situation seems fine to me, but I admit I'm pretty self-motivated and do enjoy exploring interesting worlds.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 17, 2017, 01:08:57 pm »

I'm liking it a lot and I'm doing things, even if it isn't being truly ambitious.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 17, 2017, 04:03:19 pm »

By slow, I meant in terms of events-per-post, not posts-per-day.

For example, in Perplexicon, there was magic going on pretty much every turn. In Unnatural Selection, deaths are commonplace and something new happens every turn. I don't mind slower paced games, but the number of turns it takes for stuff to happen might be an issue. I get that lots of things happening each turn = actual real life time investments though.

Could just be being spread too thin.
One wheel short of a wagon

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 17, 2017, 10:54:31 pm »

I'll agree on both mana being difficult to get, and on events just taking too long.  Also, events not really involving more than one person.  There's been quite a lot of that last one for ZZ.

Sad as I am to say it after so much time spent begging for Mad Max With Wizards, I'm not really enjoying Cabal much.  I think making it such a massive open world, with closed information, hurts the game a lot.  There's no interaction between groups, and power/control is a very difficult thing to gain.  If we were all in the same city, fighting over smaller stakes like buildings, possibly with some NPCs to make it more of a TBS, that would do wonders for the game.

Hmm.  Perhaps it would be best to put defined limits on certain actions.  Say, you can travel only two blocks in a turn on foot, and every turn spent sleeping/resting confers some defined benefit.  So people can't warp across the city or sleep a full night in the time it takes for a round of combat to occur.  Other actions, like tagging a block or robbing a house, would still resolve relatively quickly, but that doesn't strike me as a terrible thing--it means direct combat is very resource-consuming, so there's a mechanical reason to try and finish it as quickly as possible.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 18, 2017, 12:29:06 am »

I personally enjoy the game. Sure, it's starting slow and the large world with little information may leave some people feeling overwhelmed, but I like the potential that the game has because it gives you so much freedom, and I also like the idea of the greater and greater abilities we will have to affect the world as the game progresses and we make a mark on it.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2017, 12:33:16 am »

I honestly don't find much fun stuff to do with my cabal. I feel like I'd be having more fun if I left and started having my actions outside spoilers, like Leng.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 18, 2017, 10:07:40 am »

I'm fine with the amount of freedom personally. The world is your oyster, so find a hammer to smash it open and all that (pretty sure that's how it goes).

I wouldn't make big changes to the game now, let's not pull another DIG. Maybe tweak the mana costs/gains a bit if needed, or hell, maybe even drop the angle of cabals and just have a big open magical world where people do what they want. As long as there are enough opportunities for adventure, I think that could work.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #398 on: June 18, 2017, 02:46:37 pm »

Spoiler: FIST (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ZZ (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RCnPN (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)

Bombu: You wake up in kaolin, the walled temple city at the top of the world. You are sitting in a small room somewhere up within one of the temples to the minor gods. You know that this temple sits on the highest step of the multistepped city, on the outskirts of the great main temple. The room you're in is maybe 10 feet on either side, with a row of chairs on your side, and a small shrine directly across from you. You are wearing the robes of a minor priest, A dull yellow with a red sash. Whether you are a priest or not, thats up to you. You know, at the very least, that the diety squatting in the shrine across from you is Sho-Pei, the man-horse who drums thunder from the curved belly of the storm clouds. On his shrine are several coins and small wooden sticks; both are his standard offerings, given by those who desire fair weather.

Nina: You keep your hand in your pocket, your fingers gripped tight around your coins, and go looking for a place to stay. You find an inn only a few hundred feet from where you landed. It seems to have no name but the sign is of a red frog sitting on the edge of a sword. You wonder, idly, if it has any meaning. The inn has no tavern, no kitchen, nothing but a small desk with a shrunken, ancient woman. You exchange a silver with her and she gives you a key. The rooms are upstairs, but there are no stairs. Instead you mount a shadowed, barely lit ladder and climb straight up to the rooms above. There are three rooms up there, one on each side and one in the back. ITs nothing more than a renovated attic and the rooms themselves are tight, small and mildly claustrophobic thanks to the sloping ceiling. But they have a bed and walls, and a locking door. Thats about all one can hope for. You spend the night there.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 18, 2017, 03:27:32 pm »

Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bombu (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:39:21 pm by PaPaj »
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2017, 03:34:20 pm »

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 18, 2017, 04:48:40 pm »

Spoiler: FIST (click to show/hide)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 19, 2017, 02:07:52 am »

Welp, that worked out. Go back down and thank the woman before going about my day.
My first priority is to locate herbalists and such to restock my doctor bag with from. I need to do my profession's maintanance tasks before anything.
while doing that, chat with the shopkeepers. find out anything important to know, and anything interesting, and try to learn a bit about those religious guys from the bottom of the lake.
clarity edit: Do buy whatever is necessary to keep my doctor bag fully ready. Spending limit is literally all the money I have on me. I consider this seemingly optional task a high priority because I need it to do my job.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:01:51 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2017, 11:53:42 am »

Moghorn shrugs ruefully, and asks if the shopkeeper could recommend an idiot to flog them to. Also, ask him if there are any animal hides in particular demand, seeing as he'll be spending a lot of time travelling.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2017, 09:27:54 pm »

Follow the group. As Darwin and the experienced guy lead the way, chit chat a bit with the girl. How did she come to do this kind of thing?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 203