Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 360073 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #705 on: December 26, 2017, 06:13:05 am »

Merry Christmas all. Though it's actually boxing day here.
One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 26, 2017, 08:15:00 am »

Merry Christmas to all, and to all I wish some truly magical holidays.  :D

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 26, 2017, 04:17:15 pm »

Get the wounded man on the table, and then use the Ape word to heal his wounds.  Use a hug to regain mana following such.  If successful, ask for about 20 gold worth of payment when done.  Do try to talk with the two of them and make a personal connection.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:45:19 pm by Devastator »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 26, 2017, 07:33:01 pm »

((Merry Christmas to all.))

Collect some of the black oil with the vials Darwin gives me. Then join the group in venturing forth.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #709 on: December 31, 2017, 04:09:38 pm »

I want to try asking the old woman first then anyone I see in the inn.
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
You ask the inn keeper and then a string of random people around town questions about the lake. They alternate between being vague- "We are a simple fishing town, stranger." -and being mildly threatening -"Now we don't come to your home and poke our noses in your dealings, do we? I wouldn't think that anyone who wanted to remain a guest would harass their host like that."

You get a few tidbits of info, which you're pretty sure they let spill by complete accident. This church that hired you worships some sort of...thing in the lake. They're very cagey on details. But apparently they bring people down there every so often as "Converts". Though what happens to those converts isn't really spoken about. The church apparently got popular back when the lake became more of a bog than a lake, when fishing was really difficult to make a living on. Members of the church always seemed to have fish, so the faith spread quickly. They rule the town at this point, and they're not to friendly to those that question them.

((Finally got everything settled for my next semester of college, just in time for the year to be over. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this thread better now. No promises for next year, though.))

I feel bad that I keep doing this, but any chance I could have continued working my business to earn gold and thaum for the turns I missed? Anyway, back to the poor side of town. See if a few of the downtrodden would be willing to offer some blood for gold. Hopefully getting it from a few people will let me get the fill of a small child without undue harm to the donators.

Spoiler: Aurum (click to show/hide)

To be honest I don't even remember what you were doing for work, you've been gone a while. Can you tell me how many weeks you've been gone, roughly, and what the work you were doing was so we can work out what you get?

As per selling blood,  there are people willing to do it, of course, especially in the poorer parts of town. It does, however, arouse a bit of suspicion: they're probably wondering exactly what this weird foreign man wants with blood.

Get to the pillar, CREATE THE SCULPTURE.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
You walk to the pillars, dragging the corpse behind you, until you come to the great lakes of silvery mercury that surround them. You kneel down by the lake, drag the body close, and unpack your supplies. The next few hours pass in that same creative haze you're used to, only bits and pieces of half remembered actions remaining in your memory.

When you're done, you're left with something odd.

Its a gem, about the size of your fist, with a briolette cut. Its roughly teardrop shaped, with a fat semi-spherical bottom and a top that tapers up into a razor sharp point. It looks at first glace like a massive ruby but you can see that the colors within are actually swirling and churning between red, black and silver, with crackling arcs of silver light, like static discharges. As you stare into the flow of colors, you begin to understand.

You gain the words
Black Flux
Blood
Lightning
Crystal
and Sharp

((Probably best to wait with getting some of that jade, lest the locals ask some very pointed questions as to why exactly we're stealing their cultural patrimony/infrastructure. :P ))

Onwards we go! If one of the people on the upper catwalk want to collect some of that oil, hand them some of my alchemist glassware to store it in.

Could I use my 'viscera' word in a sort of scrying spell? The idea is that I'd try to sense any 'viscera' in a fairly wide area to know if any creatures/people/whatever are near (and that have organs that can be described as viscera, of course). And what is the difficulty/mana cost difference if this scrying is only as a momentary 'pulse' as opposed to an effect that continues working for a while (aka a temporary magical sensing)? What about trying to give me a permanent ability to sense nearby viscera?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
You toss some glass bottles up to Eclair. He catches them and doesn't even comically break any of them.

You could use your viscera word to effectively sense living things around you. The major limiting factors are the area it is effective within and the length of time it is active. You could also try to magically change your own body in some way that would allow you to sense life, but that change would have to be organic and not magical. Ie heat sensing or something like that.

((Merry Christmas to all.))

Collect some of the black oil with the vials Darwin gives me. Then join the group in venturing forth.

You gather some of the oil. It smells...like grease and dust and you inevitably get a bit on your hands. Its very slippery.

Onwards! While thinking about rune magics, of course.

Everyone continues forth, following the pathway either on or below it. It becomes quickly evident why this walkway exists; there are copious amounts of very ancient fish bones scattered around, not to mention a fine dusting of sediment. This place was probably a shallow lake at one point, with the walkway over the water. The walkway abruptly ends with a crevice, or perhaps its more correct to say a canyon or a cliff? There's no end of it in sight, no sides either, just a sharp drop into darkness. You can hear the water from the river crashing down into it. However, you're all a bit more distracted by something else. Down in that darkness, there are glimmering lights; they're either your own lanterns reflecting off something shiny or independent lights. Either way, its too solid for water and not the right composition for run of the mill wet stone. There's something down there, something very large.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 31, 2017, 05:33:27 pm »

(Me?)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 01, 2018, 11:51:39 am »

You could use your viscera word to effectively sense living things around you. The major limiting factors are the area it is effective within and the length of time it is active. You could also try to magically change your own body in some way that would allow you to sense life, but that change would have to be organic and not magical. Ie heat sensing or something like that.
Everyone continues forth, following the pathway either on or below it. It becomes quickly evident why this walkway exists; there are copious amounts of very ancient fish bones scattered around, not to mention a fine dusting of sediment. This place was probably a shallow lake at one point, with the walkway over the water. The walkway abruptly ends with a crevice, or perhaps its more correct to say a canyon or a cliff? There's no end of it in sight, no sides either, just a sharp drop into darkness. You can hear the water from the river crashing down into it. However, you're all a bit more distracted by something else. Down in that darkness, there are glimmering lights; they're either your own lanterns reflecting off something shiny or independent lights. Either way, its too solid for water and not the right composition for run of the mill wet stone. There's something down there, something very large.

Magic time! Try to use my viscera word as described above to do a momentary 'pulse' of sensing in an area large enough to reach whatever it is we are seeing down there. In addition, use my regular senses to try and learn more.

"Friends, there seems to be something down there. How about you make preparations to move down there safely or investigate the oil while I try to learn more before we jump into darkness' maw? Or perhaps lower a lamp down on some rope to give us a better view."

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:52:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 01, 2018, 12:13:26 pm »

There is nothing else to do now. I'll have to wait and rest in my room until the next group of converts goes to the bottom of the lake to figure out what's going on with this fishy church. Wasn't that healer woman going to the lake too? Maybe I could follow her group.
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 01, 2018, 07:43:42 pm »

"Oh great, we get to go down again."

Wave my lantern around experimentally to try and figure out if it's a reflection down there or lights.
Consult my extensive Knowledge to figure out what the hell this thing is.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 02, 2018, 07:14:49 am »

Holiday season has ended and Lenglon is ready to resume posting. Nina was last waiting for time to pass and for it to be time for her trip under the lake.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #715 on: January 02, 2018, 10:54:49 am »

Get the wounded man on the table, and then use the Ape word to heal his wounds.  Use a hug to regain mana following such.  If successful, ask for about 20 gold worth of payment when done.  Do try to talk with the two of them and make a personal connection.

You get the man to the table and then begin working on him. His wounds are extensive and life threatening; he's been stabbed a dozen times, several of which would be fatal sooner or later. You heal the fatal wounds with magic [-4 mana] and then bandage the remaining non-fatal wounds.

The man you're helping isn't conscious, at least not fully, even after you help him, so you talk to his companion. The man says this was the result of a bar fight, but he's not sure over what. His friend got drunk, walked off to use an outhouse, and then staggered back into the bar, stabbed half to death.  He says you were the closest person offering aid.

You get a hug out of the friend, though it only restores 2 mana -guess he wasn't as emotionally invested as he could be- and decide to wait for the other man to awaken before you get a hug from him. You tell the friend about your price and he grows a bit pale. You essentially just asked him for a month's wages.  He says he doesn't have the money to pay.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 02, 2018, 11:31:17 am »

Tell the man that I'm willing to be reasonable, and ask him what he thinks is fair payment, and what he can get, and try to work out a deal.  Do say that he saved his friend's life, and that even if I get no money for it, I'm not going to hold them or do anything to them.

Then segue into how I'm in this for helping people, and the money is mostly to pay for expenses from travelling and such, and that I get the mana I need to heal people from strong emotions, and if he's willing, I'd be glad to talk with him about sensitive subjects that may be bothering him, a hug for the mana to help the next person is all I really need.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:33:10 am by Devastator »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 02, 2018, 03:01:10 pm »

Just so PW notices it:
((I missed the previous 5 turns before this one that just passed. The last turn I was in was back at the end of November/beginning of December. Oh, and I'd like to ask around for animal blood first. I figure that might be less suspicious.))
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:33:07 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 02, 2018, 04:21:50 pm »

Yeesh. Can I make the gem do anything? If not, must sell it. Anyway, strike out for Plumbago. Dispose of any evidence remaining in the pools of quicksilver.

Hmmm... can the Black Flux be traversed? Must get to Kaolin.

Also can I choose the words I remember?

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:43:27 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 03, 2018, 09:16:21 pm »

Get the oil off of my hands. Whipe them on my pants or something.

Then lower down a rope to Darwin, making sure to tie it to stomething sturdy up here. If Tying is not an option Ecalir will be the anchor!

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 203