Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 359653 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #375 on: June 13, 2017, 06:42:09 pm »

((Well, I missed the last update due to RL stuff taking up time and a lack of sleep.  I will say though, I think the game format is somewhat problematic--it's a wide open sandbox, with absolute freedom and little direction.  Worse, it's difficult to make significant progress in a timely manner, even if you do manage to figure out a goal.  I think another issue might be the lack of information on what's going on or where you are--it's very easy for someone to lose track of what they were doing or where they are, and even I frequently find myself looking back to the previous update or two to refresh myself.

Of course, I only have the experiences of Zerthel Zentol to go on, so others might see things differently.))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 13, 2017, 07:41:27 pm »

Spoiler: FISTicuffs (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2017, 02:05:14 am »

((Aww Sy, Nina doesn't count? I'm suprised you haven't read my turns any. I thought all the cabal folks were gonna end up reading her turns on the side to get a more global perspective.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2017, 08:37:37 am »

Cabal users might want to explain in PMs/ in threads in more detail. RC can't complain about his airship without telling us he has an airship, after all.

This is alright for me, though slow (partly my choices on that).

Wait, how did you find out about Skyterror Prime? Did peedubs spill the beans again?

Dammit PW, you can't keep doing that, they weren't supposed to find out until after the indiscriminate mass bombing of major population centers starts. We haven't even finalized our list of demands yet!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 14, 2017, 08:43:44 am »

Wake's up in Kaolin
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 14, 2017, 08:43:51 am »

...I can't ask if that's a serious queston or a joke, because if I knew, I'd have gained information through the metagame.
One wheel short of a wagon

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 14, 2017, 08:09:12 pm »

Spoiler: Zentol action (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Zrell (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #382 on: June 15, 2017, 09:30:13 pm »

((Well, I missed the last update due to RL stuff taking up time and a lack of sleep.  I will say though, I think the game format is somewhat problematic--it's a wide open sandbox, with absolute freedom and little direction.  Worse, it's difficult to make significant progress in a timely manner, even if you do manage to figure out a goal.  I think another issue might be the lack of information on what's going on or where you are--it's very easy for someone to lose track of what they were doing or where they are, and even I frequently find myself looking back to the previous update or two to refresh myself.

Of course, I only have the experiences of Zerthel Zentol to go on, so others might see things differently.))

Fair. Recommendations on fixing it?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 15, 2017, 10:11:38 pm »

One issue I have is that I feel like I have to wring every little detail out of your hands. Like a turn or two ago, I found some coins. I have no idea how many. I have little to no idea of what I should be adding or removing from my inventory at any given moment. (I know you have reasons but keeping track of my own inventory will forever be annoying.)

I also don't have a very coherent grasp of my surroundings. I forget when it happened but it took several pages to even describe what our starting point even looked like. That shouldn't be something I have to spend an action on. I don't even remember what you said.

I guess the upshot is, I want more detail on what I get, where I am, and some more detailed descriptions as well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:18:59 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 16, 2017, 07:02:51 am »

I kinda think you might be stretching yourself a little thin over too many games, pw, leading to some of the posts in this game feeling a bit barren and rushed.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #385 on: June 16, 2017, 11:25:35 pm »

One issue I have is that I feel like I have to wring every little detail out of your hands. Like a turn or two ago, I found some coins. I have no idea how many. I have little to no idea of what I should be adding or removing from my inventory at any given moment. (I know you have reasons but keeping track of my own inventory will forever be annoying.)

I also don't have a very coherent grasp of my surroundings. I forget when it happened but it took several pages to even describe what our starting point even looked like. That shouldn't be something I have to spend an action on. I don't even remember what you said.

I guess the upshot is, I want more detail on what I get, where I am, and some more detailed descriptions as well.
The difficulty is that I literally cannot meticulously explain every aspect of your surroundings in every post unless you want this game to get updated once a month.  Especially when people are split up in different groups and running around everywhere.  I mean, I try to give pertinent info, info related to the actions at hand and what you can do. I could go on and on about what a place looks like but it does no good if all someone does with that info is say "Find a place to get X", which is most of what the actions are.

And I could speed things up a lot, but then people get angry because I follow their actions literally and bad things sometimes happen to them that they feel are outside their control. There's no real middle ground here; either you get in depth descriptions and control and things move slowly, or you get lots done and I have to be kind of vague.

I'm good with either.
I kinda think you might be stretching yourself a little thin over too many games, pw, leading to some of the posts in this game feeling a bit barren and rushed.
Thats entirely possible. I don't have a lot of time and I'm trying to get stuff done.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 17, 2017, 09:46:48 am »

"Find a place to get X", which is most of what the actions are.

Honestly, that might be what the problem is. Not sure I think descriptions are the primary issue- it's frustrating when you don't know how many coins you just got, but not catastrophic. But, as of right now, the game is kinda feeling like a "go here get this" simulator. A particularly nice one, mind you, but still bland.

This was sorta the problem with ORO as well. The environment is interesting as can be, the mechanics look fun, but in practice it's just sort of saying the same action over and over again until it sticks.

I'm not sure what exactly would be causing that. Maybe the way magic works? Some of that can be pretty tedious- sculptor recipes, for one, but also the sheer amount of work needed to get enough mana for spellcasting. Less in terms of opportunities, more in terms of amount. Bang killed that bird thing and got, what, 3-4 mana? Given that cost is a D12, I doubt it lets him cast so much as a single spell.

Know it's a design decision, but from this end, it mostly just feels like being locked out of the fun part of the game.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 17, 2017, 10:07:34 am »

Wait, spells cost D12 mana? I didn't know Nina had so little... I mean, when the average is 6.5 mana per spell...
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 17, 2017, 10:22:46 am »

From the rules:
The amount of mana used by a spell is equal to the Challenge roll made by the GM. So, if a player casts a spell which the GM concludes would be of a d8 Challenge, and then rolls 6 on that d8, the spell will cost 6, regardless of if it succeeds or not.

Also:
Spells can fail for one of two reasons: The caster lacking the needed mana or failing the difficulty roll. If they simply lack mana, then the spell will take what they have and fizzle out. If they fail the difficulty roll, then one of two things can happen. If they fail but roll greater than half the difficulty roll, then the spell fizzles normally. If they roll LESS than half however, the spell backfires. What this looks like can vary depending on the spell, but it will generally be destructive and damaging to the caster and those around him.

For example, if a spell’s difficulty is d8 and the gm rolls 6 while the player, who has d10 in the stat used for the spell, rolls a 3, this would result in a backfire. Had the player rolled a 4 or higher, the spell would have just fizzled because it would have been greater than ½ of the GM’s roll of 6.

So you better not miscast or you're just pissing away mana.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 17, 2017, 10:43:30 am »

One thing might be that it's very slow. That may have been my choices though.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 203