Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ballista discussion/experimentation/stuff. (Is this the right place?)  (Read 4240 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Silver for bolts is outdated after nerf. Sharpness is now very important for piercing armor.

They don't do blunt damage anymore?
Ballista arrows were changed to edged damage in 40.15.

Also, goblins have been fixed to actually bring complete sets of armor.

I'm pretty sure the projectiles can be swatted out of the air, too. (Or at least Clowns can do it.)

Whoa whoa whoa.

Whoa.

I didn't know this. You can swat projectiles out of the air?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah, at least with normal bolts and arrows that happens, I think it is the projectile equivalent of parrying. Im not sure weather you can do it on purpose in adv. mode though.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

I've seen miners bat arrows and bolts out of the air with their picks and legendary mining skills, back as far as at least .34.x.  No idea if they can do that with ballista ammo though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

can ballistas work while they are submerged in liquid?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Maybe in theory, but
Urist cancels fire ballista: Dangerous terrain.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile

If you have your enemies walk down a narrow path with a ballista well back on one end and the magma fall a few horizontal urists in front of it where it won't spill into the ballista's location, I'd imagine you could make flaming ballista bolts. That'd be pretty cool... Hmm. How OP do you think it would be to have stone ballista bolts? Then you can make lignite ones. >:3
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, so a ballista fires down a narrow bridge straddling a very deep chasm forcing the missile to hit or a dodge into the abyss, also the ballista missile flies through a magmafall. Also lignite. Also adamantine.

Damn I have to build an entire fort to test this concept now.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if objects in flight can catch fire.

IIRC, minecarts can't, although maybe that was just for magmafalls. Flowing magma across the ground might work.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:21:57 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ballista arrows fly through liquid (or at least water) without any problem. You can set up a ballista to fire at the submerged base of cavern trees to disintegrate the trees by setting up the ballista, dig a drain with an off map fortification, and then carve a fortification to the lake the tree ais in. Keep firing arrows through the fortification until the tree is gone.
You may want to use a drawbridge to block the fortification when done, both to stop FPS draining flowing water and to stop critters from getting through the fortifications into the innards of your fortress.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ballista discussion/experimentation/stuff. (Is this the right place?)
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 09:58:00 am »

But will they catch fire?

Ps: dwarf disregards necro-post: Topic too awesome.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 10:24:55 am »

I've never seen any of the ballista arrows I've fired through water catch fire ;)
Ballista arrows fired at camping fire based clowns didn't catch fire either.

Seriously though, it might not have been tested, so why don't you do so and report back? A tricky part is to make sure the fired arrow exits the magma at the other side where their potentially fiery nature might have some effect (I'm fairly sure they'll catch fire if they slam into a wall and falls down, as long as they don't fall on SMR, as they'd be annihilated by the SMR in that case). A magma fall isn't too hard to set up, but a flow requires more work (and begs the silly question of why you're not using the magma directly, but the obvious answer would be "because it's possible to do it in a more complex way").

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 11:13:48 am »

Why not build a nether cap ballista and pour magma over it when it's loaded, then drain the magma and fire the bolt?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 03:35:50 pm »

Why not build a nether cap ballista and pour magma over it when it's loaded, then drain the magma and fire the bolt?
'Cause the operator won't go near it while it's on fire?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 04:15:03 pm »

I myself have very little experience with handling magma, and I haven't even breached the caverns in my current fort, BUT I do have a ballista setup. So when my fort gets a little further along I might try this ;)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 06:03:29 pm »

'Cause the operator won't go near it while it's on fire?
Doesn't that only go for the workshop, and not the loaded bolt? Nether caps don't burn. Equip your dwarves with nether cap shields to block dragon fire.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 [2] 3