Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An Alturkian Mage  (Read 1343 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
An Alturkian Mage
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:23:41 pm »

It is the Age of the Charaolin. Alturkia is striving as this functioning desert empire is ever expanding
and the rule of the Charaolins has gone on for a long time. The Charaolin, a dynastic god-king, has
the priests and lesser nobles under his power. The land is flowing with magic, and while there is many
dangerous monsters in the uncivilized deserts and oceans, the land can withhold true threats to the
empire. Priests and Mages, who fight over the identity of magic, manage to protect the land, even
though it seems, that sometimes they protect themselves more fiercly. From the outskirts of Alturkia
you have an increasing influence of shamanic magic and even some Alturkians have taken it up.

It is in this time and place that a young orphan is found at a doorstep.
Who found him/her?
What is their race? Human/Sharkmen/Lizardmen
What is their name?
Spoiler: Teacher (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Races (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM NOTE (click to show/hide)

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Alturkian Mage
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 01:48:05 pm »

He was found by the famed (okay, known) Sand mage  Arrimor Springsteen, who could not believe his eyes.   After all, it was hardly usual to find a sharkman in the desert.  Hurriedly bringing him inside, Springsteen as able to  coax a name out of the  small form:
Walker.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:55:45 pm »

You are Walker and as of now you live in the tower of Arrimor Springsteen who has a small following of servants mostly glass artisans and traders, and two other students. The other two are very much afraid of you as you are a sharkman. Your past years you have gathered basic knowledge in the fields of earth magic theory. Unsure of what would suit you better you have crude knowledge of divination and mana theory, though there is still some time left until your apprenticeship is over.
Over the past years you have mastered three earth based spells of basic power.
Basic Earth sense is your first spell. With it you are able to feel vibrations on the earth surrounding you. This heightens your perception and gives you awareness of what is under and on the floor of the land you are walking. Has a 10m radius, 2 mana You remember the time when you found a ring of one of the young maidens through this technique. Amalia is very thankful of you and one of the few that is not afraid of you. Basic Sand Repel is your next spell. Your master taught you this so you could travel the desert with more ease. It basically repels sand in a small bubble surrounding you. You feel it has something to do how you tune your body to the magical signature of sand.  2 mana
Force Basic Sandstone Structure is a spell which allows you to create small items through converting sand into small structures of your choosing. You do this by painting signs into the sand and speaking the word "Akh".

While walking the land you meet your two fellow students. Tirrkur is a tall human male who has black hair and a pointed nose. He is quite arrogant and believes his abilities are outstanding. He seems to have a knack for mana manipulation, you are on cold but friendly terms with one another. Tirrkur is discussing something with Agala, a woman who is rather chubby with big blue eyes and brown hair. She is good at divination.

"Seriously though, the master said he was gonna give us a boon once we have finished our apprenticeship."
At this Agala raises an eyebrow and replies, "So you have any idea what it could be?"
"Well he said he was going to leave the tower to finally complete the map of Raksha desert." At that he looks sad, for the master is very old and it is likely that he will die on his travels.
"Well he does have the divination glass, and then there is his fortune, and also one of us will likely be put in charge of the tower. We shall see..." he continues.

What would you choose?
Will you learn Divination or Mana Magic?
Put 3 points on either spellpower Manaregen or Manapool.
Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:58:43 pm by Detoxicated »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:04:53 pm »

[Bump]

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 12:12:58 pm »

Manaregen, and Divination.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »

Spell power, mana theory

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 12:59:05 pm »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 01:00:50 pm »

You can spend the points however you want. You dont only have to choose one of the three

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 01:02:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure that means we're just going to expend all points into spell power.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 04:37:19 pm »

Mana Magic

1 to Manaregen
2 to Spellpower
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 06:44:11 pm »

The final days of your training you actually go a little deeper into mana theory. Afterall, you figure, it is always nice to know how to control the ebbs and flows of mana a little better.
You briefly recapitulate your apprenticeship years. You started very young, as your gift was discovered by one of the old servants. Your training was hard but fruitful. You remember fondly
how you first came to sense earth around you and your latest discovery on the nature of mana has improved your mana intake by alot. You can regenerate 2 mana per day. It is not much but
a good starting position nonetheless. One of the most important aspects of your training was the invocation part. You learned how to use your voice to speak in the proper tone those words of
magic that can create all the miraculous effects you've seen and read about. You also know there is other ways to make magic, like hieroglyphs and proper movement. Perhaps there is even
more ways to aproach magic. Discovering these things, your master says, is part of the process of becoming a true mage.

With your abilities and your back knowledge you are able to asume a mage position anywhere. You are able to create your own spells and know a thing or two about a school of magic.
If you were classified by a Alturkian Bureaucrat your title would be "Sand Acolyte".

In your final test you were to recall the names of all known minerals of the desert. You passed with a few errors, as this redundant science hasn't opened itself up to you, you feel.
After the test a big celebration is held. All of the tower are attending the party. As Agala is singing an old mystics song, you observe Tirrkurr talking sternly with your master Arrimor.
They both seem to be fighting about something, though they are trying to keep it private. You decide to enter the conversation. Both of them look into your eyes, and as you apprentices have
discussed this over the past days you already know what the subject is.

Your master is leaving, and his departure is not to be halted by any means. He will leave on the next morning. Tirrkurr is trying to sway him to stay. Even though Tirrkurr is arrogant,
and a general ass, this side of him has always interested you. Springsteen waves off Tirrkurr who is trying to hold him and proclaims: "Enough, get Agala, and meet me in my study in 7 minutes."
"But Arrim.." "Enough, I have important things to settle with you."

You let Agala finish her song, and she gains some aplause from the audience. You tell her everything and the three off you walk towards the masters study via spiral staircase. The study is on
a small tower that is built as an extra arm of the main tower. It is quite an astonishing view from afar, and likewise you also have a perfect view over the regional desert here.
Once upstairs the master calmly closes the door.

"My dear students. You all know why I asked you here. I will leave, goodbye. For I have not any preference for any of you, as each had their respective boons to him or herself,
I decided that you must find a solution which suits the three of you best. I am going to give you three the choice to become keeper of my three masterpieces. One of you shall
get the tower. One of you gets my beloved Golem, and one of you gets my Divination Crystal. So go on discuss this matter."

"Well to be honest I would like to take the Golem, it has a mana pool to dip into." Tirrkur says.
"I like the Divination Crystal, but the master said we must all agree... What do you say Walker?" were Agalas words.

You must think this through... Each of the things has its own style and advantage.

Spoiler: Walker (click to show/hide)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 07:00:51 pm »

"Simply put, I want to proclaim the Golem. The magical tower is is only useful for a fellow who doesn't want to do general exploring and whatnot, I am not the one is going to become a reclusive librarian. Agalas, why don't you want the Tower, you seem like the person who doesn't want to enter a fight, and fights are going to be aplenty with that precious divination crystal. Tirrkur you seem like a headstrong type , or something of that nature, why don't you and Agalas trade and get the Divination crystal. Than Agalas can lay claim to the tower, and everything can go on and work it self out. I just want the Golem, and since I'm going to go on a more dangerous path than you two, a bodyguard would really be welcomed."

Proclaim that we want the Golem
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:16:46 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 07:14:32 pm »

+1.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 05:56:34 pm »

"Simply put, I want to proclaim the Golem. The magical tower is is only useful for a fellow who doesn't want to do general exploring and whatnot, I am not the one is going to become a reclusive librarian. Agalas, why don't you want the Tower, you seem like the person who doesn't want to enter a fight, and fights are going to be aplenty with that precious divination crystal. Tirrkur you seem like a headstrong type , or something of that nature, why don't you and Agalas trade and get the Divination crystal. Than Agalas can lay claim to the tower, and everything can go on and work it self out. I just want the Golem, and since I'm going to go on a more dangerous path than you two, a bodyguard would really be welcomed."

"So be it then. If you have nothing against it Agala I shall take the power then."
She agrees. You return to your master and tell him of your decision. He nods and takes it to acount. He goes down to you and gives each of you a warm hug.
You are send off as the master wants to settle the tower and the crystal ball first, so you decide to walk downstairs back to the feast.

One of the glassmakers, Jareek, apears. You are on good terms, even though you find this person quite peculiar. It seems as if he was a baby born into the
body of a giant. Every motion of him seems to be clumsy and unporpusefuly. Yet, when he starts to work in his workshop he creates miracles of crystal and glass.
"Say, you were with the master, weren't you?" "Sure, the master is going to leave, I asume you know that." "Yes. ... So who gets the tower?" You raise an eyebrow,
amused about the blunt curiosity your friend portrays. "Tirrkur. I took the golem." "Of course you did."
You raise a glass of wine and drink to Springsteen.

After a while of partying you go to sleep. As the sun awakens you, you see your master standing and the doorstep.
"Ah, I came at the right time. Come with me, I will show you the golem."
You walk down to the cellar of the tower. Now that took long.
As you enter the circular room, you lay eyes on the famous golem. It sits with its legs crossed within seven pillars of glass and plays chess with itself.
You have never seen it, this is amazing.
"This is perhaps my masterpiece. Though the credit doesn't go all to myself. Other wizards were involved, that and a shaman. It was an interesting
experiment I came up with after travelling with some Lizardman tribes, befriending them on the go. The actual knack on this thing is. It is an elemental spirit,
bound to this body, so it can carry mana, and with the right crystals right much so. I took my good crystal out though, but the one you have in there should
be like 5 mana. Oh well..." Here he looks to the side as if trying to change the subject. "Anyway, the golem has a name. It is Kralec. He does not like when
one swears at him, doesn't take it well. He is quite educated. Ah see for yourself. KRALEC!"

The big humanoid rock stands up almost imediately and walks slowly towards the two of you.
"Greetings master"
"Hello Kralec. See this young man there. This is Walker, don't be afraid he is a sharkman, there is nothing wrong with him." You scoff at this.
"He will be your new master now."
Kralec looks at you deeply, he nods.

You pack your things, and a weeks ratio of food in your backpack. You have a seperate pouch where you have your water in several bottles. You saddle your horse.
As your old friends wave you goodbye, you realize you have only 5 Gould. You bet if you get to Kalydia you can find some work. Just like your master you
will learn the way of sand from the desert herself.

There is two roads to get to Kalidyia. The Northern road goes through a rocky pass, while the southern goes through the open desert. Both ways are about the same lengths, so its a gut thing.
Kralec waits for you to make a decision patiently.

Spoiler: Walker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kralec (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 06:37:35 pm »

The Southern Road. If we intend to become a great Sand Mage like our master then we should learn to not just live in the desert but to thrive in it!
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.
Pages: [1] 2