Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: MMOs?  (Read 16659 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MMOs?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2018, 10:35:01 am »

I tried playing it with a friend, but decided to refund before I passed the 2 hour mark. I tried last night and this morning to get on, but I never got past the server browser in 115 minutes of trying.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2018, 11:17:03 am »

I tried playing it with a friend, but decided to refund before I passed the 2 hour mark. I tried last night and this morning to get on, but I never got past the server browser in 115 minutes of trying.
Yeah. There's a deal with Nitrado that lets them host private servers which actually function, and there's currently a streamer server that lets the celebs keep the hype machine going. You can rent your own server to play on for 40 euro a month (there's a 10 euro version as well, but it's apparently severely hampered and you can't get a clean upgrade). Seems to be the only way to have a private server at the moment.

Some folks are managing to log onto the main servers now, but they're having issues with lag and the difficulty involved with getting out of the starting areas. Also the entire world seems to think that it's a starter zone for the sake of capping the level at 8. Those getting past that point are dealing with how construction is even more expensive than ARK (a single wooden plank requires 480 pieces of wood to craft), plus animals are weird and combat is weirder.

Devs don't seem to care much at all about the Steam side of things, which is possibly just as well considering we're now at 5,400 reviews with 80% negative. And the Steam forum is a raging dumpster fire. Rough launch, eh?

EDIT:
Quote from: Store Page
Why Early Access?
“ATLAS is one of the most ambitious online worlds of all time and while everything we have listed in the feature section will be there around Early Access launch, we are going to need the feedback, insight, and creativity of the game players to build on that foundation and balance the game optimally over a period of time.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Everything in the features section will be there around Early Access Launch and the game will be an unparalleled massively multiplayer experience from Day One.”

EDIT2: Right, so, people are having difficulty getting into the game because there are only a few areas out of the 15x15 world that are classed as "freeports" where new characters can start, right? They're the starting zones for getting into the game, but they're still capped by the 150 player max limit before you're not allowed to enter that square (this will also block you from spawning into that area, not just physically moving from one area to another). Moreover, anything over 50 players in a square seems to result in significant lag and delays, along with "rubberbanding" back to your initial spawn point and being unable to even escape from that square to clear things up for everyone else. Sometimes you even spawn in and are incapable of interacting with anything, such as gathering the raw materials you need to build your first raft and get out of there.

So since there were so many launch problems, a lot of people just logged out and decided to wait. Well, logging out doesn't remove your character from the game, it just drops them on the floor in a sleeping position. Those characters are still ingame and are not only counted towards the limit, but also count towards processing stresses because of all their stats and details.

And since most of them are sleeping in the freeport zones, which are "safe" areas that disable PvP, you can't kill or otherwise remove the sleeping characters.

There have also been one or two issues with individual servers in the grid... So the server controlling a specific 1x1 square on the grid will go down, and all the characters in that area will have no recourse as they can't spawn anywhere except for where they left the game. You also can't delete your old character and start a new one somewhere else, because it can't retrieve the character from dead server limbo for long enough to wipe it. And you can't have more than one character per server per user.

But hey... The $5 release discount is actually extended through January 2nd, rather than just the first 24 hours! That's a positive!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2018, 06:30:11 pm »

It's astounding to me that so many people are still hyped for this game despite all of the overwhelmingly negative feedback.

The inept dev's couldn't even properly hide the evidence proving that ATLAS is literally an ARK mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Hoc21vowE

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2018, 06:54:32 pm »

Hey now, that's unfair... The monster character creator was probably the best part of ARK that got left in!

As for nothing else in the genre, yeah... I mean, I enjoyed Blackwake for what it is, but that's not exactly something you can go and have an adventure in. Sea of Thieves is polished, but it's just polished... polish. No particular substance.

Hell, Atlas is starting to make Tempest look good by comparison...

Anyways, there's a new tweet out that indicates they're maybe tackling some of the issues, such as the game's laggy homeless problem.

But... Did I mention that ships gain XP? Yeah. Apparently the ships in Atlas are handled by the game as being tame dinosaurs. They earn XP, level up, and gain stats. Uh huh. So not only are they massive resource sinks to build in the first place, but when it gets inevitably stolen and/or scuttled, then you're out all the time and effort you spent developing the damn thing.

One of at least a handful of controversial design decisions, I'd say.

EDIT: Latest patch seems to have broken something severely, as multiple people can no longer launch the client at all. Whoops.

Although, as some comments on the forum have pointed out... You can't suffer from lag if the game doesn't even start.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2019, 02:36:36 pm »

Pantheon's February newsletter included some concept art of their new Faerthale area. The newsletter also included a rundown on their innovative Atmosphere system.

Project: Gorgon just got an update that includes a new sewer dungeon, and some wide-sweeping balance changes to the ways damage is calculated and equipment modifiers are applied.

Crowfall promised back in December that their first full campaign was starting soon. A week later, they declared that more testing was needed, and the campaign would start in about a month. Then in January they declared that their testing had shown even more systems that still needed to be refined before the first full campaign, and so it would be delayed further. Today they are still promising that the campaign is just around the corner, yet with no actual date in sight. Updates are still coming regularly however, so at least progress is being made.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2019, 02:46:06 pm »

I seem to recall an announcement a few years ago about an MMO where people played as spirits that could possess corporeal bodies. Part of the gameplay was that you'd be able to inhabit bigger and more powerful bodies as your spirit grew stronger, and then there was the aspect of corpsebuilding.

Basically, other players could dig up and stitch together bits of corpses into a customized body for another player to inhabit. Players slain in battle wouldn't be able to use the now-destroyed body they'd just used, so being on good terms with a gravedigger/Frankenstein who could provide you with a new fit-for-fight Ferrari cadaver was generally a wise idea.

Did my brain just completely make this thing up, or was there an actual trailer for such a game? I haven't been able to find it the times I've checked since then.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2019, 02:57:57 pm »

A lot of what you just described fits Crowfall. You play as a crow spirit that inhabits different bodies; some low-tier prebuilt bodies exist, but for the higher levels of gameplay you'll want to have a crafter stitch together body parts to make a stronger host for your spirit.

I'm not 100% certain on the ability to reclaim your own fallen body...I've been avoiding studying the game's mechanics too closely as it's all still heavily subject to change, at least until they are finally ready to move past alpha into beta.

EDIT:
Found a relevant Article.
And another Article.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:02:03 pm by Folly »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2019, 03:15:45 pm »

Guess that must be the one then, can't imagine another MMO coming out with a similar concept.

So it's still a bit shaky on its legs, eh? Ah well, we'll see how it turns out at some point.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2019, 04:33:43 pm »

Since Ark and Atlas are acceptable for this thread, Dark and Light must be good to go as well seeing as it's an Ark clone. No, really. They licensed the engine from the Ark peeps. Monster creator and all.

The price is dropping again. Most of the servers have closed. And they're talking about their plans for leaving EA. That last bit is a hoot, considering people are talking about how you can still fall through the map at certain spots.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2019, 04:50:31 am »

Astellia has announced it's global launch date September 27th!
Keywords: Holy-Trinity, Tab-Targeting, Pet-Collecting, Fanservice

Pre-Launch Trailer
Dancing!
A Review from Closed Beta

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2019, 11:00:19 am »

Astellia has announced it's global launch date September 27th!
As a buy-to-play ?
Have you played the betas ? is the game cool ? challenging ? does it run on a non-gamer computer ?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »

Astellia is buy-to-play. Localization of a Korean MMO, so the original was naturally pay-to-win, but the team bringing it west have strongly emphasized that this version will have no pay-to-win elements. Pre-order packages start at $40 USD.

I have not personally played. Reviews I've read indicate that the game does an effective job of merging varied gameplay mechanics in new ways, but otherwise fails to move the genre forward significantly.

System requirements are fairly beefy. I would not expect it to run well on a non-gamer computer.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2019, 03:25:53 pm »

Have we really gone this long without mentioning wow classic?  Been out for a week now, its not 100% authentic (uses retail engine, and the pre-expansion balance patch which is very different from release wow) but its got all the good and not so good of vanilla wow.

Slow pace, very community driven, lots of fun and weird flavor stuff like the old warlock doomguard.  Dungeons are long and annoying, questing is hard and slow, solo leveling a warrior is excruciating, its wonderful.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2019, 03:27:33 pm »

Have we really gone this long without mentioning wow classic?
Everyone's been busy queueing.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2019, 03:35:15 pm »

Slow pace, very community driven, lots of fun and weird flavor stuff like the old warlock doomguard.  Dungeons are long and annoying, questing is hard and slow, solo leveling a warrior is excruciating, its wonderful.
I love it when players describe wow classic, it's like RPG players talking about ADnD :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7