Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: MMOs?  (Read 16651 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: MMOs?
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2019, 05:53:58 pm »

Dark Legacy Comics pretty succinctly summed up my thoughts on it - the feeling of community in Classic is shared suffering.

http://www.darklegacycomics.com/comics/693.jpg
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2019, 12:21:14 am »

Slow pace, very community driven, lots of fun and weird flavor stuff like the old warlock doomguard.  Dungeons are long and annoying, questing is hard and slow, solo leveling a warrior is excruciating, its wonderful.
I love it when players describe wow classic, it's like RPG players talking about ADnD :D

What other oddities were in early WoW? Warlocks had to collect soul gems and store them in their inventory, Rogues had dust of disappearence and I think had to make their poisons. I did like the quests Warlocks had to go on to get their different demon summons and mounts.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Jejune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2019, 06:55:27 am »

I've been playing wow vlassic a bit. I first played wow after cataclysm came out so I was interested how different it could be from what I temembered. I'm playing a priest and I appreciatr how tough mobs are on quests. The difficulty really drives you to other players for help and that was completely missing from cataclysm.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2019, 07:10:49 am »

Cataclysm was the most insane patch because they did so much work completely revamping the 1-60 experience only to see it completely obviated by heirlooms and lfg.  90% of players level to 60 in two days without ever leaving orgrimmar, leaving the revamped zones totally fallow.

It's also fun that when it came out Classic wow was considered the casual baby MMO, and by today's standards its brutal.

Warlocks spent hundreds of gold on long quest chains to get summons that were basically useless and only good for summoning high level hostile mobs into goldshire.

Rogues had to craft poisons and carry vanishing dust.  No lfg.  Lots of ways for other players to fuck you over,  tagging quest mobs, ninja looting, griefing the group, but without server squishing you could get a reputation and people wouldn't play with you anymore if you were a dick.

Many classes had no self healing.  Warriors are agony to level without a pocket healer or a level 60 main to feed you gold; an undergeared warrior dies 1v1 to mobs his own level. 

Questing is spotty.  Most zones have gaps where there's no quests and you have to go to a different zone or grind mobs to get over the hump.   It's common to walk five or ten minutes to do a quest, then walk back and get a followup quest for the same place

Retail wow is epicureanism, the avoidance of pain as the highest good.  Classic is stoicism, pleaaure and pain are only platforms for you to reach true virtue (not stealing people's quest mobs)

As far as expansions go my rating is something like...

1. Vanilla
2. Wrath
3. Legion
4. BC
5. Panda
6. BfA

And i didnt play cata or wod.  Note that I didnt hate bfa or panda, but i got bored of them the fastest.  Especially bfa, I don't think I lasted a month.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:40:06 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2019, 07:50:16 am »

I've been playing wow vlassic a bit.
Sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle, then.

Jejune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2019, 07:55:39 am »

I've watched plumps EQ videos, I can see why WoW would be considered a babies MMO. It took him... a week to reach level 5? Something crazy like that.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2019, 12:24:16 am »

I remember I once got a free month of play for Everquest. Despite having dialup and my computer not being good enough to run Everquest without restarting after a few minutes of play I got some play out of it. The dialogue system was based on keywords you had to talk at NPCs, I don't think quests were restricted to class (I was busy collecting bits from snakes only to be told the reward wasn't useful to me), I think things cost a lot of money (Everquest might've had copper, silver, gold, platinum pieces).

It was very obtuse to a newcomer and I never made it out of the beginning zones. Outside of the starting areas were plains filled with hostile mobs and corpses from higher level characters farming.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2019, 04:22:03 pm »

The dialogue system was based on keywords you had to talk at NPCs, I don't think quests were restricted to class (I was busy collecting bits from snakes only to be told the reward wasn't useful to me), I think things cost a lot of money (Everquest might've had copper, silver, gold, platinum pieces).
Not sure how accurate this is, but I heard someone mentioning (probably a youtube video) how they were doing a quest for an NPC, and they got curious and started asking about some of the people the NPCs were mentioning and ended up starting quests they weren't implemented or unintended to be done at the time.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2019, 05:38:01 pm »

I don't specifically recall any unimplemented quests...though it was about 20 years ago when I actively played EQ, so I may well have forgotten.

But NPC's definitely had dialogue outside of just quests. You could ask them about their friends and neighbors and interests, and they would respond with everything from town gossip to deep world lore. Talking with NPC's was a very interesting feature that I have not seen in any other MMO since.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2019, 07:09:44 pm »

EQ had all sorts of crazy triggers for quests. And made WoW's problem of quest interference seem palty by comparison. In order to complete the Epic Weapon quest for Rogues, basically the quest that defined your class and gave you a weapon you'd likely never stop using, it was like a 6 stage quest which one part of required around 30 people. About 20 to do the actual fight that eventually happened, and another 10 to try to run interference around the quest spot to try to prevent other players from wandering in and literally, unknowingly, sabotage months of work involving utterly insanely rare spawns. I'm talking, a server sign up sheet and multi-hour vigils to watch for spawn and/or spawn stealing level of rare spawns.

I can't even conceive of playing such a game today, and yet in its day, I was completely enthralled. I think EQ is when I truly woke up to video game's ability to manipulate your mind, emotions and motivations. Never have I felt such highs, or such lows, playing a video game. And honestly if another game came along in the future that made me feel that way, I'd seriously consider not playing it as potentially destructive to my life. I may have skipped this or that or called in sick to play WoW sometimes, but never did WoW leave me a quivering mass of "what does my life mean if the last 2 years of what I've spent it doing can just vanish?"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:11:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2019, 08:48:24 am »

Astellia has a bit shy of 48 hours remaining to purchase a founder package!

Also, they've introduced an alternative payment option. You can buy a game package and play forever at no additional cost, or you can buy a 1 month subscription for $10 USD, and either continue paying monthly or upgrade to a package any time you like. This sounds like a great way for curious players to try the game out and see if they like it at minimal cost!

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2019, 01:28:30 pm »

Also, they've introduced an alternative payment option. You can buy a game package and play forever at no additional cost, or you can buy a 1 month subscription for $10 USD, and either continue paying monthly or upgrade to a package any time you like. This sounds like a great way for curious players to try the game out and see if they like it at minimal cost!

I used a gift card I got for my birthday and got the platinum edition. Hope the game is good, but we'll see. I'm going in with no knowledge of the game, no idea what it looks like barely. Only knowing its one of the rare eastern games where you won't get ganked everywhere you go unless you go into the designated pvp area. Finally an eastern game without dumb pvp forced ganking...I read that and decided to take a chance and see how rest of game is lol. But going in 98% blind so no expectations at all, and gonna keep it at that.

And if its bad, not really lost anything except someone elses gift card lol. But I hope I like it cause don't want to waste my friends money. Looks like an MMO that fits my style though, so we'll see.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:03:11 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2019, 05:17:17 pm »

Uhm. Well that was quite something. I think it's randomized amongst three options, but their opening page dropped me here.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2019, 07:09:05 pm »

It's definitely randomized. Can I just say I appreciate that event4 takes you to a page 404, though? I don't know how intentional it was, but it's good play regardless.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2019, 10:06:06 am »

This month's Pantheon newsletter includes a great chunk of lore surrounding Janis Sova, as well as a Q&A covering many of the classes available in Pantheon!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7