Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 41

Author Topic: Bellum Aeternus: Novae Fabula [IC Thread] Chapter I: A Disturbed Peace  (Read 21567 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

"I see....how hard would it be to replicate it?"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

"You mean the tech? Well, uhh... I dunno, you can't make any of this without specific technologies and systems and materials and stuff. If you've got em, stuff like my radio wouldn't be too hard to replicate. Stuff like my gun, though, requires further exotic materials and is some seriously complicated tech."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ophelia's expression doesn't change, but there is a slight hint of disappointment in her voice.
"I.....see."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Florida shrugs long and fluidly. "Yeah, I know, it'd be useful for us all to have radios, but that's the tradeoff for tech as fancy as mine. If anyone might be able to help with replication, though, it might be Sasaki. He strikes me as the type with tech expertise."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I had simply hoped to learn such secrets. My homeland would be.....better with such technology, you see."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Having spent plenty of time staring at her plate and listening to everyone talk and eat, Miyu finally decides to sample the food out in front of her. Evidently she likes what she has tasted, for she reaches out and politely takes a larger portion for her to dig into. Or at least steadily work through, one forkful at a time.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Nobunaga's mouth compressed into a flat line for a moment, as he considered his next statement. Continuing to press would no doubt earn the girl's enmity, but. . . "Your reassurances that it doesn't matter are having quite the opposite effect. If there is something potentially dangerous or harmful about you or your abilities - which you possess, regardless of whether I know what they are or your willingness to inform me of them - you need to let me, and the rest of this group, know. Imagine, for example, if I hadn't mentioned that my projections tended to be unstable and, well, explosive when done under duress? It wouldn't take more than one detonation in someone's hands for my failure of communication to have a strong impact."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"A-all you need to know is that it isn't.....dangerous."
Its clear whatever secret Ryuko is hiding, it's distressing her to be forced to say anything about it.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

"As you will, then, but this leaves a rather deep gash in my ability to trust you in the upcoming battles."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Florida, nearby, leans his chin into his hand and looks at Nobunaga pretty strangely.
"That's a pretty wild conclusion to draw from how much someone eats, bro."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Nobunaga looks at Florida straight in the eyes. "You're a sniper. You know as well as I do that missing or incorrect information has killed many times more men than simple bullets. Furthermore, I've just outlined why I am suspicious; the biological fact doesn't line up with the given information. I've been lied to before and I would be a fool to believe it wasn't ever going to happen again - particularly from someone who is a complete stranger to me."
GM of Trespassers V2.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Florida sighs, nods twice, and sits up straight now, putting his plate onto the table and leaning forwards so as to be able to talk seriously with Nobunaga.
"Yeah, I know the value of intel quite well. My whole career has been spec ops too, so it'd been doubly implanted into me. It's not like I don't know where you're coming from. But there's something you're missing. I've spent my entire adult life on a team of some sort or another. Navy basic training, my team was the other recruits. Navy SEALs, my team was the other SEALs. XCOM project, it was the other troopers.

That last one's the most relevant. See, XCOM was formed to deal with a legitimately global threat, and accordingly we had people from all around the world, so there weren't a lot of common bonds or reasons to trust each other. That attitude there, of looking into and interrogating on whichever little thing catches your eye? From a strictly logical standpoint it would make sense. But if you've just met someone and are immediately waging your trust on how they respond to the personal questions you're asking off the bat... well, that kind of suspicion doesn't have a winning track record, and it doesn't engender an attitude of working together, ya know? I've seen it happen before, and it hasn't ended well."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

"I wouldn't say asking after the nature of one's combat abilities constitutes a personal question. It's highly relevant to future operations. Bad teambuilding it may be, but I would rather have a less cohesive team and know that my allies aren't liable to detonate or impale me or any manner of unpleasantries while my back is turned than the alternative. It's particularly suspicious when, instead of adequately explaining, the person in question repeatedly tries to deflect or insists that one doesn't need to know a piece of potentially critical information."
GM of Trespassers V2.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A gloved hand pats down on Nobunaga's shoulder.
"Now, now... you can't force the truth out of her, push, and you'll get a lie. I don't know what line of work you're in, but in mine, jumping in knowing little about your partners is far from rare. No one wants to tell others everything - we may be allies today, but come tomorrow... it's all up in the air, and if it's up in the air, you don't wanna be giving out more intel than you need to. Let it go, we'll see what she can do soon enough."
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Combat abilities can come out when we inevitably talk about combat abilities, yeah? This ain't asking about combat abilities, at least it ain't as simple as all that. You're not seeing combat moves, and this isn't a combat or sparring situation. What you're seeing is someone eating and then you're just extrapolating stuff about... impaling and all that. You get told it's not a problem, her eating a lot, and then you're not satisfied wiht the exact level of noncombat detail you've been trusted with, so you tell her flat to her face in the middle of something meant to build camaraderie that that means you can't trust her.

It all just reminds me a lot of someone I knew back in the early days of XCOM. Amin Ahmad his name was, but we called him Cairo, which he hated."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 41