Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC  (Read 15016 times)

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2017, 08:23:49 am »

"What does it mean to be an Earthseeker?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2017, 08:26:21 am »

"Well, the place beyond the mirror is the realm of the fairies. I don't know that time flows differently there, necessarily, but I suspect it very well might. It's that or some kind of dirty trick. Maybe check the calendar, perhaps you've been gone longer than you think as well."

Ponder the flow of time between divergent worlds separated by mirrors.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2017, 09:35:23 am »

Lilith tilted her head in wonder then replied to Chance"Is she famous or powerful human and why would she seek the work for a puppet as delicate and wondrous as this. Is she capable of controlling them or is it for collection?"

She then puzzled over what Chance said about them looking alike before speaking further "Chance if it's true that we do indeed look alike then maybe I was born resembling her is important reason to go find her. but you mentioned to go see the world to see what changes there are but we have to reveal ourselves. Is it because we be spotted as fairies is it because we be turned into that dusty thing if we entered through the mirror for long?"

"But right now I think we should deal with immediate concern of getting this salamander through the mirror and outside the house so other human can find him and heal him, well we also need to undo the form but that's easy part."

Lilith then gracefully flicks her head towards the other fairy in the room and begins a introduction "My name is Lilith and who might you be?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2017, 12:29:40 pm »

This time she can be a little more ambitious. Snake a tiny set of arms behind to touch each of the new attackers, blindness and then replace their thoughts of the hammerer with Ayrn.

Hermia exhales. She still isn't used to such tension.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2017, 06:26:54 pm »

This time she can be a little more ambitious. Snake a tiny set of arms behind to touch each of the new attackers, blindness and then replace their thoughts of the hammerer with Ayrn.

Hermia exhales. She still isn't used to such tension.

All this at once! You're bound to execute it incorrectly, but you might as well try. You can call it... Mass Hallucination.

Shadow hands creep across the floor toward the three. Seeing this, the swordsman and mage leap back through the window, while the spearman does a pole-vault to launch himself over the shadow hands. Since he isn't on the ground, he avoids them just fine.
The mage's staff glows cherry-red and the couch, having sheltered your shadows, lifts off into the ceiling. The shadow hands are dispelled, lacking a proper source.

Aryn raises his sword, waiting for the hammerer's vengeance, but the hammerer looks distraught. He never comes.

The spearman charges in from the side. Aryn steps to the side and pats him on the back, sending him to embed his spear in the wall.

Spoiler: List of Baddies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: WunderKatze (click to show/hide)

"Well, the place beyond the mirror is the realm of the fairies. I don't know that time flows differently there, necessarily, but I suspect it very well might. It's that or some kind of dirty trick. Maybe check the calendar, perhaps you've been gone longer than you think as well."

Ponder the flow of time between divergent worlds separated by mirrors.

Indeed, you couldn't tell. Human experience with the realm of the fairies has been sporadic at best for quite a while.
If time flowed different in the fairy realm, then humans popping up as their older selves would be recorded at some point. But each recorded case is different from the others. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they come back without memories. Sometimes they gain fabulous magical powers, while other times they become monsters.

There is no common thread. But perhaps they're all cut from the same cloth.
Is there more than one fairy world? Are they different? That's a question you couldn't answer.

"I don't feel older," Seren puts a finger to her lip. "Big sister, I know! What if it's you that got younger!"
Butler-man left, presumably to check the time, he returns with two identical watches hanging from chains. "One of these is mine," he says, shaking the one on his left. "The other was on a counter." The two are identical.

Spoiler: Harry Baldman (click to show/hide)

Lilith tilted her head in wonder then replied to Chance"Is she famous or powerful human and why would she seek the work for a puppet as delicate and wondrous as this. Is she capable of controlling them or is it for collection?"

She then puzzled over what Chance said about them looking alike before speaking further "Chance if it's true that we do indeed look alike then maybe I was born resembling her is important reason to go find her. but you mentioned to go see the world to see what changes there are but we have to reveal ourselves. Is it because we be spotted as fairies is it because we be turned into that dusty thing if we entered through the mirror for long?"

"But right now I think we should deal with immediate concern of getting this salamander through the mirror and outside the house so other human can find him and heal him, well we also need to undo the form but that's easy part."

Lilith then gracefully flicks her head towards the other fairy in the room and begins a introduction "My name is Lilith and who might you be?"

(I don't recommend talking to Mardent23's character, he isn't very attentive to the game)

"Whaa...?" You seem to be mistaken. "That's a puppet of the old man's daughter. She uses that mirror a lot, since she pays quite a bit of attention to her image,"

He nods at the salamander.

"You're right, we ought to help him out, if you turned him into this like you said. Humans in this dimension are a no-no."
He floats over to the ceiling and pulls two sets of wires off the ceiling. Both puppets are mobilized, the puppet of the Princess climbing down from the attic, falling apart in a heap but pulling itself back together.

The two puppets start to lift the salamander, but he proves too slippery to hold.

The other fairy asks "What does it mean to be an Earthseeker?", to which Chance starts explaining.
"To Lilith's point," he says, looking to you. "You've actually got it backwards, miss. If you don't get observed, that's when you start having problems. You can follow a guy around as much as you want, but if he ain't aware of your presence, you're gonna start to crumble."

Turning back to the other fairy,
"Lemme start from the beginning: Fairies like us can't cross into the human world without risking death. If nobody sees us, we crumble to dust and fade away. We're not meant to be there.
An Earthseeker, however, is a fairy born from an item that's wandered into the world. You see, normal fairies like us are born from a flower in the fields. I'd guess if the two of you'd been born this way, you wouldn't be asking me all these questions.
Earthseekers tend to be able to stay in the human world longer, cause you're more attuned with that world and all that.

But the main thing is that if you stay with a human for a while, you might gain the power to stay in the human world as much as you want."

Spoiler: flazeo25 (click to show/hide)

"What does it mean to be an Earthseeker?"

"To Lilith's point," he says, looking to the other fairy. "You've actually got it backwards, miss. If you don't get observed, that's when you start having problems. You can follow a guy around as much as you want, but if he ain't aware of your presence, you're gonna start to crumble."

Turning back, he says to you,
"Lemme start from the beginning: Fairies like us can't cross into the human world without risking death. If nobody sees us, we crumble to dust and fade away. We're not meant to be there.
An Earthseeker, however, is a fairy born from an item that's wandered into the world. You see, normal fairies like us are born from a flower in the fields. I'd guess if the two of you'd been born this way, you wouldn't be asking me all these questions.
Earthseekers tend to be able to stay in the human world longer, cause you're more attuned with that world and all that.

But the main thing is that if you stay with a human for a while, you might gain the power to stay in the human world as much as you want."

"And uh, what's you name, by the way?"

Spoiler: Mardent23 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:59:26 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2017, 06:30:09 pm »

"Bors.  How do I help these people?"

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2017, 10:43:35 pm »

Transform the salamander back into human, then command the puppet to carry it through the mirror and out the old man door.

"Is there any dangers other than turning to dust or malicious human threats?" spoke Lilith as gazed the puppets before turning to Chance.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2017, 08:15:48 am »

"Something's gone wrong here, clearly. Silly buggers are being played with the very fabric of time and space. Best not to humor that sort of thing in my experience."

Inspect the two timepieces. Are they precise replicas right down to the scratches, scuffs and tiniest details? Do they show the same time? Does one of them have the name of the watchmaker engraved in mirrored script? List any such subtle differences and more that I detect to Butlerman.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2017, 12:01:19 pm »

Hermia attempts to wrestle the spear away from the spearman with shadow arms.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2017, 05:53:46 pm »

Hermia attempts to wrestle the spear away from the spearman with shadow arms.

The arms wrap themselves around the spear, but it's difficult to wrest them away. That's because the arms are moving across the spearman's body, and the only direction they can pull his spear is closer to his body.
The spear ends up sort of stuck to the attacker's side.

Aryn and the hammerer meet each other face-to-face. They stare at each other for many seconds.

Meanwhile the swordsman and magician retreat. They won't take part in this.

Back to Aryn and his opponent. They clash weapons, the hammerer putting his might behind the attack. Aryn steps out of the way and moves to counterattack, but again his opponent attacks with such ferocity that he is forced to defend himself.
The spearman, fumbling about trying to figure out what's happening to him, continues to help no-one.

"Something's gone wrong here, clearly. Silly buggers are being played with the very fabric of time and space. Best not to humor that sort of thing in my experience."

Inspect the two timepieces. Are they precise replicas right down to the scratches, scuffs and tiniest details? Do they show the same time? Does one of them have the name of the watchmaker engraved in mirrored script? List any such subtle differences and more that I detect to Butlerman.

The watches do have a signature on each: you notice subtle differences in the lengths of each curve, in the shape of each glyph, in the angle by which the signature is engraved relative to the angle of the watch body. The signatures are not mirrored, however, and the watches themselves are both brand new, with no scuffs or dents to be had. The timepiece on the front of each is not mirrored, with a total of 12 major hour ticks, labelled.

You conclude that they are probably two watches made by the same watchmaker.

"I see that you are interested in our watches," he smiles and asks you. "Would you be interested in buying one?"

Transform the salamander back into human, then command the puppet to carry it through the mirror and out the old man door.

"Is there any dangers other than turning to dust or malicious human threats?" spoke Lilith as gazed the puppets before turning to Chance.

"Hmmm... wouldn't know. Crumbling is pretty bad. The Earthseeker I was acquainted with in the past had this strange, eccentric sort of personality, but I guess that was more of a character flaw than anything."

(Not sure if you can fit a human through this sort of thing)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The puppets, owing to their great size, seem to be able to heft the huge amphibian. It seems unlikely that you'd be able to fit a human through, but the salamander's narrow legs and lack of shoulders allow it to be fitted through.
You turn him back to a human on the other side.

Now in the human realm, he begins to stir.
"What's going on? Why... why am I back in Ergstvelt?"

He looks around to find the one that helped him... but he's not aware of you yet.
"Where is... everyone?" he asks, in a state of panic.

"Bors.  How do I help these people?"

"You what? Which people?" he asks.

Through the mirror on the desk, you hear a human asking questions.
"What's going on? Why... why am I back in Ergstvelt?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2017, 01:22:36 pm »

Hermia replaces the spearman's thought of the spear with thoughts of a venomous snake.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2017, 07:33:25 pm »

Lilith focused her gaze on the mirror watching the man who was startled move around, she then open her mouth "It seems like he's fine now, just confused about his situation, only worry I have is how will the old man react when he gets back?"

Get close to mirror while staying out of sight and slightly suppress the man anxiety, then try to amplify his thoughts to focus on escaping.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2017, 11:12:58 am »

(Apologies for the absence. Someone close to me was moving, and so I spent the past week helping them.)
 "There are people in this village, are there not?  Can we do anything ?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2017, 12:35:59 pm »

"Nah, I'm not one to be constrained by mere time and space."

"So, good news are that we've probably inspected most of the evidence available. The bad news appear to be that we still have no idea what's happened here and why. I'd say these things will become clear in time, but it doesn't look very likely to me."

Give up on this mystery, but nevertheless veto going to the Hedgeman. Go somewhere regardless, however, and keep an eye out for strange happenings while keeping myself in cover among Seren's possessions

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2017, 03:41:05 am »

(I've been neglecting this game, but I'm glad to see that everyone still remembers.)

Turn 19

Hermia replaces the spearman's thought of the spear with thoughts of a venomous snake.

The spearman panics, and throws the spear at Aryn, [5->2 vs 3=>1] who gets bumped in the arm while his attention's focused elsewhere. It doesn't coil around and bite him, as the spearman likely expected, and instead it just rattles onto the ground.

This distracts the hammerer, whose chest Aryn thrusts his sword into. He squeaks and keels over to the floor, vomiting blood.

The spearman, terrified and unarmed, backs away and prepares to run.

(Trying out different combat mechanics this time.)

"Nah, I'm not one to be constrained by mere time and space."

"So, good news are that we've probably inspected most of the evidence available. The bad news appear to be that we still have no idea what's happened here and why. I'd say these things will become clear in time, but it doesn't look very likely to me."

Give up on this mystery, but nevertheless veto going to the Hedgeman. Go somewhere regardless, however, and keep an eye out for strange happenings while keeping myself in cover among Seren's possessions

"Perhaps we can go to the artificer instead,"
"Arti-what-what?"
"The one who makes things using magic. He has a shop on Ace Eifion." (Note: Ace probably means street in this context)

You fit loosely inside Bryn's excessively-sized coat pockets. Your companions are a pearl-handled knife and a little wooden snake in a thumb-sized box that opens up.
A brass grommet allows you to peek outside and see what's going on.

The skies are red in the capital. Blazing incandescent lamps, fueled by magic, give the city a sinister tone to the outsider. But the streets are clean and people are smiling as they zoom past.
Well, you are riding with the princess. People are bound to show their best faces, regardless of what they truly think about the ruler.

At last you arrive at a shop, brimming with the cacophony of brass machines toiling away, growing rock sculptures layer-by-layer. A spring-loaded crank drives the beamhead across a spiral template mounted on the top tray.
Passing eight of the machines, you come to a stop at a wooden desk parked in the middle of the aisle, blocking the way to a personal workshop area further back. At the back of the shop you see a birdcage, but what's in the birdcage doesn't seem like a bird. It looks like it has big butterfly wings.

The artificer, a bespectacled man well on his way to retirement, dressed in a tan apron like any true craftsman, speaks in the same tired voice he seems to use for every conversation, be it extraordinary or not.
Correcting his glasses, he looks up at Seren. "Who is this, Lady Bryn?"
"That is what I'd like you to tell me, artificer. Will you do that?"
"Yes, anything for Archibald's daughter! But I'm afraid I don't remember faces too well..."
"I believe this is Seren, my younger sister."
The old man flinches a small amount. "I am perplexed at how the youngest daughter of the Lockmoor family came of age so quickly. And quicker than yourself, Lady Bryn! What a surprise!"
"If I suggest sorcery may have been involved, will you take this with the gravity of a lost child?
This woman claims do be Seren. She behaves as Seren did. She knows what Seren knows. And she used a Singing Blade to full effect without a crystal, something the Vizier and his magicians said only Seren could do, out of all the Lockmoor's daughters."

The old man slides his chair back. "Why didn't you say earlier, Lady Bryn?" he picks up a pendulum and a tray of sand. Bryn rolls her eyes at the sight of the contraption.
"This spirograph maps the latent psychic energies of the mind. It can be used to discern matters of the soul." Seren jumps. "Oh, I remember this!"
"Please spare me your pseudosciences..."
"Was I not correct in predicting your sister's talent?"
"...fair enough. My parents will trust your word. Go ahead with it."

As Seren puts her hand on the top of the frame and watches the pendulum go round, Bryn backs off and whispers to you.
"This man might know about the mirror. Do you think I should tell him?"

Lilith focused her gaze on the mirror watching the man who was startled move around, she then open her mouth "It seems like he's fine now, just confused about his situation, only worry I have is how will the old man react when he gets back?"

Get close to mirror while staying out of sight and slightly suppress the man anxiety, then try to amplify his thoughts to focus on escaping.

The man gets up and cautiously looks around. He seems surprised that there is no-one at his side.
Standing, he gets up and opens the door, looking up at the stars.

"HEY," he screams into the night outside. "WHERE IS EVERYONE?"

Sounds of windows slamming shut echo down the street.

Also having returned is the old man from before.
"What have you been up to?" he shoves the man back inside, then as if he regrets the action he presses his fist up to his forehead.
"You're the missing barber, Tof Enion, aren't you?" he slams the door behind himself. The man is silent.
"You ought to speak now, or I'll have your head in the morning."

"The others, did you save them too?"

"That's what I would like to know." the old man raises his fist against the unresisting Tof Enion.
"We... er... walked into a portal, to another village. The princess was the one who organized it!"

"Let me hear the rest of your lies."

"The light in the other realm, it made her pass out... when we tried to carry her back, I ended up passing out as well. I believe she might be... she could be..."
"Show me this portal."
"I can't."

"You won't?"

"It was a portal left by the morning rain. It's long gone by now."

(continued in Mardent's action)

"There are people in this village, are there not?  Can we do anything?"

(You might want to take a look at flazeo's action above to get some context)

Huddled up next to the mirror, the three of you overhear the whole conversation.
"Evidently by making a puddle," Chance surmises.
"That's how they got in, by the looks of it."

"Usually we fairies have to watch for puddles since they can turn into mirrors at any time."

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8