Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75253 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #675 on: October 15, 2017, 06:05:46 pm »

I suppose I'm still just generally disappointed that the nemesis system wasn't used for more of a "wage a shadow war by manipulating the key powers to destroy themselves" game, rather than the current "Callabimbo: Tales of a Superpowered Orcish Accountant".

I mean, you basically said it yourself. No offens but this wasn't the case in SoM so it seems a little negative nancy to be disappointed the sequel didn't change that. SoW is no less than SoM in any way. FWIW, your followers are fairly active in targeting hostile parts of the orc hierarchy with their time, and there are some fun Nemesis moments where followers coordinate their attacks or crash a duel between two other orcs or something.

Nah, I know. I had the same feeling while playing SoW, and when I'd heard that the sequel was going to be focusing even more on the nemesis system, that's kinda what I'd expected to see... More engagement and autonomy, and therefore more focus, on the side of the AI.  This is why I'm slightly disappointed; because I feel like more work went into turning Talion into an RPG dress-up dolly and padding the system with MORE ORCS and MORE CLOTHES FOR ORCS than went into making the existing orcs be more interesting and independent. Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate the added interactions and the whole concept of betrayals... The thing is, I appreciate it to the point where I'm sad at all the stuff they *didn't* do with it.

But I do hope they take another pass at some parts of the Nemesis system. It does seem really dumb that no new Warchiefs are ever elected, and that you can do pretty much fuck all with Warchiefs once they're appointed. There seems to be absolutely no consequence for demoting a warchief. In fact it seems necessary due to eventually needing to level all these guys up to withstand Sauron's counterattack.

And I honestly wish the game tracked the history of orc captains. I think my Nemesis from SoM, after getting killed by me in the Fighting Pits, then killed by me outside the city, came back as Venomous, looking all fucked up, with a different class. So I recruited him and he's now one of my top orcs. At least I think it's him. It's hard to keep track of dudes who are revengencing themselves on you when there are like three other orcs out there with their first name and their titles and looks change constantly.

This is where I feel that there are simply too many orcs. It doesn't help a great deal to double the amount of available titles and names, if you're going to triple the number of actors using them. Over the course of one (five hour, admittedly) stream, Potates has encountered the rise and fall of two different Olog-Hai named Ar-Saku (or similar). They shared the same costumes, voice sets, first names etc., and the only way I realized it wasn't the same one back from the dead was because one was titled the "Pain-Lover", while the other was "Pain-Seeker".

It seems like the captains don't have enough room to develop their own stories and personalities in order to stand out from the crowd, despite the fact that they are uruk captains meaning that they've already had to stand out above the rank and file.

Whinging aside, I do definitely agree that having at the very least a bullet-point list of noteworthy events for captains would be very nice.

As something of a tangent, I remember a while back when I was playing Man O' War on Steam (of all things)...  Now, there's a game with a whole basket of issues it needs to work through, but I remember sailing around on the open seas going from port to port thinking "Y'know, this would be an amazing setting for the Nemesis system".

Not so much the whole Warhammer thing, although that is always good fun, but rather as a way of distinguishing the captains of the many varied vessels you'd come across in your travels.

The game launched with a very, VERY limited set of names for both captains and ships, and I found myself repeatedly hounded by mid-class warships captained by one Captain Epinosa.  Now, I knew that this was purely because of trying to name a lot of ships with a very limited number of names, but I liked to pretend that it was the same pirate captain who, after first being defeated by me in one of her ill-fated raids, became obsessed with vengeance and used every resource available to her in order to commandeer new ships, hire new crew, and track down the scoundrel who'd defied her so many moons ago.

I feel that the naval setting would allow for a lot of creative usage for the system, as you now can apply a more tangible effect of their unique personalities by altering the way they handle the crew (and what kind of crew at that), the types of ship they gravitate towards, the general battle strategies they use, and whether or not they'll hunt you down and demand honorable combat or just set an ambush when you get to port.  Heck, even the coming back to life thing gets a bit more credibility, because unless you're onboard their ship and shoving a dagger in their throat, it's entirely plausible that they'd either float around on some wreckage or swim to a nearby landmass instead of going down with the ship.

So, yeah... Maybe Shadow of 3, should they try and milk this series to that extent, could take place in the seas outside of Umber.  Although, that said, "Shadow of Umber" would be a bit redundant...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 15, 2017, 06:39:47 pm »

I was curious about this 'Potates' person that's been brought up here a few times, so I went to watch his video but the sound isn't synced correctly. So much for that.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 15, 2017, 06:43:35 pm »

The next game of this series needs to be WARHAMMER 40,000: SHADOW OF WHAAAAAAAAGH

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 15, 2017, 07:06:02 pm »

The next game of this series needs to be WARHAMMER 40,000: SHADOW OF WHAAAAAAAAGH

holy shit yes
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 15, 2017, 07:23:07 pm »

my most loyal body guard is a machine commander hunter who throws poison bombs, flash bombs to stun areas and is generally a major badass who ive saved his life a couple times and he's saved mine just as much. we used to be mortal enemies after i shamed him that one time but then he was going to get executed and i saved and recruited him and he's been very loyal since (or at the least he's never betrayed me).

My current orc bestie is actually my Nemesis from Shadow of Mordor. After I just embarrasingly kicked his ass in the Arena, he showed up again outside Minas Ithil where no other orcs were around. We had a serious fight and I killed him with Poison. Well, he showed up again and the poison had really done a number on him. He went from Ogthrak Shaman to Ogthrak Plague-Bringer, lost his bird mask helmet, was horribly disfigured by poison, had changed from I think a Cursed Mystic Tracker? to a Poisonous Mystic Berzerker with poison bombs and mines, is enraged by 5 things including other orcs enraging, is arrow proof, and has 7 class traits and 7 bonuses, including Mighty Warriors (they enrage when you attack him so he enrages) and Thick Skinned (lots of extra HP). His only real weakness is Beast Fodder. If he had or could get Poison Master and Poison Proof, he'd be an all around Poison Badass.

Needless to say I had to have him for my army. But he'd ambushed in the middle of another fight and damn near killed me. And he was too high level. So I had to run, then track him back down, fight him again, shame him, track him down, fight him again, then dominate him. A lot of work but it was worth it, he's a fucking monster now. My monster. I'll laugh if he betrays me though.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:50:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 15, 2017, 07:50:50 pm »

Sounds like you'll probably DIE if he betrays you, actually.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 15, 2017, 08:53:48 pm »

Well had my first actual death just a minute ago, to a No Chance Assassin. His bodyguard was a Defender who was enraged at me attacking his master, and they both proceeded to hit me at the same time for exactly all my life. ><

But I got a Cursed War Chest out of it. Apparently from the community challenge which was to die then take revenge within three cycles. That got me 3 orcs, all cursed mystic somethings. One was legendary, two were epic, and I got two training orders for Curse Master. Prreeeetttyyy nice.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 16, 2017, 02:48:19 am »

I think I went to the wrong region or something, being lvl 19 and everyone else lvl 40 at least.

It was a real struggle, but great fun. Now I just worry about going to where I was supposed to go and being overleveld...

edit:

So I beat a fort and... talon is just standing on the platform where he normally does his speeches, akwardly swaying back and forth. I have no control, esc does not work and all you can hear is the orcs boo'ing?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:47:46 pm by ThtblovesDF »

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 16, 2017, 06:27:28 pm »

The fact that not new warchiefs generate when you kill them, drives me fucking nuts.

It's basically making the game perma-easier for you.

Fortress Assault are easy enough, but taking out all 4 warchiefs and having no chance of someone replacing them to re-add the buffs to the fortress Defenses is just stupid.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 16, 2017, 06:37:15 pm »

I just suffered a double-betrayal, while simultaneously fighting 3 enemy captains. Needless to say I pissed myself and ran for the hills.
I tried to track down my favorite captain in hopes of reclaiming him, only to find that he was now iron-willed. So I resolved to kill him, only to find that he was death-defying, as well as immune to almost everything I could throw at him. So that was a long tedious murder. And as soon as he died his blood brother-showed up, along with another friend, so I had to kill them too.

I had been grooming the aforementioned captain to take out a difficult arena opponent...but after that mess I just said fuckit, and sent some generic tank-uruk with healing abilities and hoped for the best. The tank put up a good fight, but died, leaving his enemy in the arena so wounded that I was able to just run up and convert him, then sent him against the new challenger, this time resulting in victory. Yay.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 16, 2017, 06:51:25 pm »

folly if you shame people they can lose iron-willed and other beneficial modifiers.  I had the same thing happen where my favorite orc betrayed me and then got iron willed, if you just shame him down some levels he'll degrade and be able to be dominated again.
Nom nom nom

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 16, 2017, 06:57:08 pm »

I also just got betrayed by four captains simultaneously, one of them holding a loyal captain hostage. Luckily I was revisiting the jungle area so they were all fairly low level still - one of them ran away as soon as the fight started, I'm not sure why. The hostage, after I had rejuvenated him asap, proceeded to kill one of the captains on his own and killsteal another one. He's called the Lucky, I guess for a reason.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 16, 2017, 07:44:56 pm »

folly if you shame people they can lose iron-willed and other beneficial modifiers.  I had the same thing happen where my favorite orc betrayed me and then got iron willed, if you just shame him down some levels he'll degrade and be able to be dominated again.

And, apparently, can even be used to "re-roll" your captains in a sense, as when they regain levels they'll be able to acquire new skills they didn't have prior to de-leveling. Still not entirely sure how I feel about that mechanic.

Just gotten to the part in the stream where we reach points of plot significance, including "Definitely Not Completely Obvious Twist" and "Things Get Even Weirder".  Honestly, I kinda just have to congratulate the writers for at least being somewhat creative... Even if nothing makes sense, they've at least fully embraced how hilariously non-canon this all is and are just running with it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 16, 2017, 07:47:05 pm »

That "we know what we are making here" attitude is what let me enjoy the first one so much.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 17, 2017, 12:59:32 am »

I've tried wiping from an orc by Shaming, but after about 6 times I assumed it wasn't going to happen.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53