Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75262 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #660 on: October 14, 2017, 12:11:35 pm »

I had a captain with poison weapons and poison bombs. Made him my bodyguard thinking he'd be great at taking out groups of orcs so I can focus on the enemy captain. Somehow every bomb he throws happens to include me. Every one. Even if the orc group is somewhere else, he'll target the one guy near me.

So he's not my body guard any more.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 14, 2017, 12:16:02 pm »

I'm on potates fourth video now, and I definitely love watching the arena fights. It really showcases the improvements made to orc/uruk/whatever they're calling them now vs. The same thing I just said fights.

Got a shield master follower lined up in SoM, but I hear they just become machine guys apparently? Dude had sweet armor but apparently appearance doesn't transfer. My nemesis has a claw hand and likes to use a variety of throwing moves (the vicious slam thing and choke slam), and I have seen one handed dudes in SoW, so at least I'll get to see him in the arena.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 14, 2017, 08:13:53 pm »

Guys from any tribe can end up with a Defender shield, even if they aren’t the Defender class. My Nemesis Ogthrak Shaman ended up as Mystic Tribe
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 15, 2017, 12:32:03 am »

Despite my problems with the game it has its moments.  I just did the Big Shindig in Sharkburz.  Khrosh the Killer, my complete bullshit legendary cursed dark berserker savage, went apeshit and pretty much wiped Nurn's nemesis list clean.  There are four non-branded captains still alive, and only one Branded.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:34:19 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 15, 2017, 12:26:26 pm »

"If you quit now, all unsaved progress will be lost."

Okay, but you don't give me any option to save manually, and no indicator of automatic saving, sooo...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 15, 2017, 12:29:33 pm »

I am fairly certain it saves after just about everything, just like in SoM.
Love, scriver~

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 15, 2017, 03:49:54 pm »

nemesis mode is bananas.
also, i found i naturally went for commander type minions: i send one on a mission and have the other one as my bodyguard: floods of ally orks descend upon the event like a waaaagggghhhh! or a death metal concert.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 15, 2017, 03:56:25 pm »

So, watching some of Potates' recorded streams, and what I'm seeing so far is massive amounts of bloat...  The trash item dispensing is bad enough, but it really seems like there are simply too many uruks.

You've got bunches of captains littered around the place, with their own secondary captains as bodyguards and buddies. You need five or so captains just to man a fort, plus a captain who will be your bodyguard (one for each region). Seems you can't swing a dead cat around without hitting three or so orcish officers, and that's not even during a siege!

The fact that there are so many of them, and that you need so many to fill stationary positions, really rather detracts from how much more unique each individual can potentially be. There's simply neither time, use, nor interest enough for singling out interesting captains and following their progress. And that each and every bloody one of them has to do their little intro song and dance whenever you show up (sometimes multiple times) really cuts into the time actually spent doing anything with them...

Then there are the changes with levels and the Strong Will trait in regard to dominating uruks... Since you now have a level, and you can't brand uruks with a higher level than you have, there's even less potential for branding and infiltrating a powerful uruk captain into the ranks of a particularly mean warchief or whatnot, because anything you can brand is already per definition weaker than you are. I know this isn't an exact representation of strength, but it still strikes me as somewhat odd... Wasn't the whole idea behind branding these fellows the ability to have someone beefier do your fighting for you in order to overcome an otherwise insurmountable foe?  Sure, that concept got kinda ruined in Shadow of Mordor by the fact that Talion was a wrecking ball with legs, but that was more of a balancing mistake than an official contradiction.

I suppose I'm still just generally disappointed that the nemesis system wasn't used for more of a "wage a shadow war by manipulating the key powers to destroy themselves" game, rather than the current "Callabimbo: Tales of a Superpowered Orcish Accountant".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 15, 2017, 04:01:11 pm »

I can't believe what I'm hearing. Are you shitting on my Superpowered Fantasy Accountant Simulator 2019?
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 15, 2017, 04:33:25 pm »

I can't believe what I'm hearing. Are you shitting on my Superpowered Fantasy Accountant Simulator 2019?

Just a dribble.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 15, 2017, 04:41:18 pm »

Regale me with tales of Nemesis mode's cray.

I've still only technically died twice, and neither ended up as a Nemesis death. In normal at ~Lvl 31 I can steam roll many captains in about 40 seconds. When I want something dead, it's dead. So I'm tempted to change to Nemesis mode but I kinda don't want to ruin my record, even though I know there's a bit of Nemesis junk attached to dying.

Figured out how non-real money side of the Market works thanks to doing about 12 Vendetta missions now. I'd stayed away from the tab for the first 20 hours of the game or so, not wanting to even really dig in to it. And the game didn't go out of its way to explain much of how it works either. But now that I've messed with the non-RM side of it, it's got several uses.

-Vendetta missions earn you Vendetta Chests which have Rare (and only Rare so far that I've seen) gear that's either at your level up to 10 levels lower. You get two pieces. You also earn 50 points toward earning a Spoils of War Chest, which I believe contains at least one guaranteed Legendary Orc. You have to do 20 Vendetta missions to earn one of these. You access these reward chests in the Marketplace.

-Silver War Chests can be bought with Mirrian. A Silver War Chest contains two random Orcs, one of which is guaranteed to be Epic. (Out of like 20 chests I think I've gotten one where they were both epic.) It also contains a training order. The Silver War Chests cost 1500 Mirrian which, while not free, isn't expensive.

Training Orders are pretty important to Follower customization. They're one shot consumables that:
-Can grant the Follower the "Gang" ability.
-Can grant the Follower the "Caragor Rider" ability.
-Can grant the Follower the "Flame Weapon" ability.
-Can return the Follower to the Garrison.

I assume there are more. But that last one is really important. Got an orc you love? Sad you can't take them with you after you're done with a region? Well now you can. In the same section where your earned Vendetta war chests are stored is the garrison. Any orcs you get through the market (or got as part of your preorder package) go to the Garrison. From the Garrison you can deploy these guys to any region you have access to, where they become part of the Orc hierarchy. So you can move orcs around using the training order, and pimp them out with caragors, or give them a gang to support them (which seems very important during Arena fights. Especially Caragor Packs.) If there are no open slots in a region for your guy, trying to put them there immediately creates a Nemesis challenge as they try to make space in the hierarchy for themselves.

Pretty cool feature all around IMO. Either I missed them talking about it due to my disinterest at the time over the MTX and DLC drama, or they did not pimp this feature at all. I wish they would have. And I feel like game journos are really, really fucking lazy these days. No one explained how any of this shit actually works in their write ups. Remember when game journos actually used to explain how game mechanics work in their articles? Now all we get are fucking "impressions" because everyone thinks their unqualified opinion is worth it's weight in gold. It's called information, you cocksuckers, do your jobs instead of cranking out a 20 minute article.

*ahem* Anyways.

So while MTX are MTX, there are some perks to using the market even if you don't want to spend any money.

And now for the hilarious bit. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/pc-shadow-of-war-players-cheat-to-get-around-loot-box-grind/

While it has no direct impact on the cash economy, it's still funny and is exactly what you'd expect gamers to figure out. Monolith were smart enough not to have your real money currency stored locally, at least. There's debates about whether it's a hack or a cheat code and what the impact is on the perceived value of the market when you can exploit the free side of it to infinity and back. Will WB and Monolith even try to stop it from happening?

--

To address Kagus' post:

-The bloat IS real. Can't deny that. But it isn't as bad as your garden variety aRPG like Diablo. Everything you get can be cannibalized in to something that, at worst, gets you a re-roll to get something you do want. Trash gear can be recycled for Mirrian, trash Orcs from the Market can be recycled for gear, or used in the Arena to either level up or get a shot at seeing another Orc generated you do want to capture. And Mirrian is used to get new gear and orcs. So there's bloat but it's not insane levels of bloat and at least you can recycle and refine the crap you get in to something you might want.

-The reason there feels like so many captains is because you're juggling so many regions. SoM was two regions that it took ~10 hours to see. By ~15 hours in SoW, you've already seen a third more captains than you have in SoM and you're just getting started. It's natural I think that it becomes overload, your brain simply can't obsess about that many captains at once. Not like SoM where you were looking at the same group of 30 for pretty much the entire game. It's a natural consequence of the changes to scope and scale. I feel it, occasionally, but I wouldn't say it bothers me so much it's detracting from my game. In fact, fuck it, give me MOAR orcs.

-This game is built for people that want to live in the Nemesis system. Literally, live in it. With so many regions, so many ways to acquire orcs, so many ways to build them up, this game wants to be a Pokemon-like sandbox and I think it does a good job of that. Does it feel like a grind as you make your way through the game? Yeah, no denying that, because you can't help but see all the "work" ahead of you. For me though, I'm not discouraged or disappointed or annoyed by this. They've made the core thing the game is about as broad and extensible as possible. The only people I think this poses a problem for is completionists who don't want to play the game for 100+ hours.

-Your lvl. vs. the orc's level. There are ways to game the system, although it does end up taking time. Sure, you can't dominate an orc above your level. But you can shame them. They lose 5 levels. Then you have gear and gems which automatically level a captain up when you dominate them, restoring those lost levels. (Or you just repeatedly Death Threat them then either fail or let it expire, then do it again until they're level reaches your's.) Later on, when you're say level 50 and the orcs from one of your starting forts are level 20, you can use the Fighting Pits to level them up very quickly (assuming they survive.) I've watched orcs gain 7+ levels just on the basic, first tier fights.

Wasn't the whole idea behind branding these fellows the ability to have someone beefier do your fighting for you in order to overcome an otherwise insurmountable foe?  Sure, that concept got kinda ruined in Shadow of Mordor by the fact that Talion was a wrecking ball with legs, but that was more of a balancing mistake than an official contradiction.

My experience has been that the followers are incredibly effective. When I do a Betrayal mission (where at least two of the Warchief's bodyguards are under my control) they often kill him before I even manage to get to the fight. At least in normal, against a really tough captain, all you need is a decent captain as your backup to tip the scales in your favor. The simple act of the enemy captain not focusing on you 100% of the time is enough to give you the edge you need to kill them. (I.e, circle around to a defender's back and hit him.) The damage is often just an additional perk. I've fought captains hard enough now that occasionally I've stepped back and let my followers kill them because I was maybe low on health and had no one to drain.

I suppose I'm still just generally disappointed that the nemesis system wasn't used for more of a "wage a shadow war by manipulating the key powers to destroy themselves" game, rather than the current "Callabimbo: Tales of a Superpowered Orcish Accountant".

I mean, you basically said it yourself. No offense but this wasn't the case in SoM either so it seems a little negative nancy to be disappointed the sequel didn't change that. SoW is no less than SoM in any way. FWIW, your followers are fairly active in targeting hostile parts of the orc hierarchy with their time, and there are some fun Nemesis moments where followers coordinate their attacks or crash a duel between two other orcs or something.

But I do hope they take another pass at some parts of the Nemesis system. It does seem really dumb that no new Warchiefs are ever elected, and that you can do pretty much fuck all with Warchiefs once they're appointed. There seems to be absolutely no consequence for demoting a warchief. In fact it seems necessary due to eventually needing to level all these guys up to withstand Sauron's counterattack.

If there's one thing I will ding SoW for, it's that the Nemesis system has not lived up to the hype in some ways. I expected more traits but I see the same handful of weaknesses, immunities, mortal weaknesses, fears and Epic traits pretty much constantly. If this is all I have to look forward to for the rest of the game I will be disappointed, because I'm starting to feel like I've already mined the depth out of orc combos. And I'm just 4 regions in. I feel like I don't get as many Nemesis events either. I've been betrayed by a Follower exactly once in like ~25 hours, I don't get many back from the dead guys anymore, fewer ambushes. I'm also hearing some of the same dialog (the poison captain dialog, the maggot captain dialog especially) repeated way too often. Makes me think the "Deranged" and "Crazy" and "Broken" captains all probably have the same lines as well and that's a little disappointing. You know that point exists in every game but I didn't expect to hit it this soon in SoW.

And I honestly wish the game tracked the history of orc captains. I think my Nemesis from SoM, after getting killed by me in the Fighting Pits, then killed by me outside the city, came back as Venomous, looking all fucked up, with a different class. So I recruited him and he's now one of my top orcs. At least I think it's him. It's hard to keep track of dudes who are revengencing themselves on you when there are like three other orcs out there with their first name and their titles and looks change constantly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:29:48 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 15, 2017, 04:56:39 pm »

Regale me with tales of Nemesis mode's cray.

now im not sure whats diff between normal difficulty and nemesis but nemesis does the normal more-damage-for-them-less-for-you thing a bit, enemy captains can "adapt" like dr.freeze in arkham so you can't spam the same couple tricks, they have a higher attack rate: you can get ganked anywhere at anytime in any non-story mission.
i was stealthing behind enemy lines to disrupt a duel between two rivals and both of their blood brothers showed up the moment i was detected.
enemies will try to attack "smart"; hunter types who throw spears will attempt to keep a minimum range, not that it helps since you can basically dash across the space in a second, and tanky/savage ones will keep their fronts to you at all times.
you will always be the focus of enemy attacks so long as you are detected, your captains will take less aggro overall; i had two rivals who hated each other (they knew each other by name! yay immersion) instantly forget about their duel to climb up a tower to smack me in the testes the moment one of them spotted me.

If there's one thing I will ding SoW for, it's that the Nemesis system has not lived up to the hype in some ways. I expected more traits but I see the same handful of weaknesses, immunities, mortal weaknesses, fears and Epic traits pretty much constantly. If this is all I have to look forward to for the rest of the game I will be disappointed, because I'm starting to feel like I've already mined the depth out of orc combos. And I'm just 4 regions in. I feel like I don't get as many Nemesis events either. I've been betrayed by a Follower exactly once in like ~25 hours, I don't get many back from the dead guys anymore, fewer ambushes. I'm also hearing some of the same dialog (the poison captain dialog, the maggot captain dialog especially) repeated way too often. Makes me think the "Deranged" and "Crazy" and "Broken" captains all probably have the same lines as well and that's a little disappointing. You know that point exists in every game but I didn't expect to hit it this soon in SoW.

And I honestly wish the game tracked the history of orc captains. I think my Nemesis from SoM, after getting killed by me in the Fighting Pits, then killed by me outside the city, came back as Venomous, looking all fucked up, with a different class. So I recruited him and he's now one of my top orcs. At least I think it's him. It's hard to keep track of dudes who are revengencing themselves on you when there are like three other orcs out there with their first name and their titles and looks change constantly.

now, ive noticed the game does keep track of the history to a degree, but its like dating: the more dates you go on, the more you'll see. try to use more creative finishers: i had a decapitated nemesis who i kept shaming come back literally one time unit after i chopped his head off to come kill me. also: willingly die to your favorite enemy captains more.
there's more nemesis events based around blood brothers and rivals: blood brothers have unique dialogue the more you make them fight one another that makes you feel like a bastard. also if you kill the blood brother, you will be instantly ganked by your own captain going "u wot mate, that's my bruv u done killed there and even after we've been besties and all u tosser, come get a taste u wanker"
also some (and i dont know what the checkboxes are) captains will start calling each other out by name. even some i know weren't on the captains roster cuz one of them sniped me and became a captain. might just be random.

it feels like the nemesis system was made for the nemesis difficulty: they added alot of events behind you dying a bunch and mistreating/favoring certain captains.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:16:57 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 15, 2017, 05:08:56 pm »

I suggest socketing your best white gem to your dagger, and watching the Mirrian rain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 15, 2017, 05:21:17 pm »

It's 5 Mirrian per drop in normal so it doesn't add up all that fast IMO.

now, ive noticed the game does keep track of the history to a degree, but its like dating: the more dates you go on, the more you'll see. try to use more creative finishers: i had a decapitated nemesis who i kept shaming come back literally one time unit after i chopped his head off to come kill me. also: willingly die to your favorite enemy captains more.

I mean a straight up history tab, that's like:

-Urzu the Unbroken defeated Snarb the Whiner in a Duel.
-Urzu the Unbroken was Poisoned by Talion.
-Urzu the Venomous was Shamed by Talion.
-Urzu the Venomous ambushed Talion.
-Urzu the Venomous was Shot by Talion.
-Urzu the Venomous was Shamed by Talion.
-Urzu the Unashamed was Dominated by Talion.
-Urzu the Unashmed defeated Golm the Bloody in the Fighting Pits.

This kind of thing already exists for Vendettas (you can check your whole Vendetta history when you're online), it seems like a no-brainer to me to include it for your orcs in normal gameplay.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:37:09 pm by nenjin »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 15, 2017, 06:04:42 pm »

I mean a straight up history tab

oh ok, i see what u mean, im sniffing the pavement, slapping the grandma

while they're at it id like to see how much my thralls like me; i know there's supposed to be a hidden "loyalty" counter that decides whether they'll come to your aid when you're about to be finished and it also affects some dialogue, i'd like to see how much it is and how to influence it (i mean other than not hitting them or forcing them to kill friends). my most loyal body guard is a machine commander hunter who throws poison bombs, flash bombs to stun areas and is generally a major badass who ive saved his life a couple times and he's saved mine just as much. we used to be mortal enemies after i shamed him that one time but then he was going to get executed and i saved and recruited him and he's been very loyal since (or at the least he's never betrayed me).
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53