Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75270 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #615 on: October 10, 2017, 09:31:43 am »

So, admittedly the game's just out, but is anyone far enough to comment on the smoothness of combat with the later, trickier orcs?  Have they done anything to curb the tactic of just running up everyone's face?

Early game not really. Everyone is fairly weak and I feel like Talion's regular attacks cleave way more normal orcs per swing than in SoM. So far I've run into a pack of guys and started swinging and scattering them easily.

But there are lots of new tricks. The Commander drops a war banner that makes every orc's attacks un-parryable who is in range, and they attack simultaneously more often. You'll be fighting and suddenly you'll be surrounded by a sea of "A" prompts. Curse is also super nasty, does a ton of damage and takes away your Elfin Charge or whatever you want to call the blue bar. Many captain types come with special melee attacks now as well, whether that's rushing at you and making you hit different buttons to parry their attacks, or a straight up heavy triple attack. Every Orc class feels like it's got some special attack, like a ground and pound or rush or big hit or multiple combo attack.

Captains feel like they can take a ridiculous beating sometimes too, which causes them to adapt if you don't kill them fast enough. It's just like SoM too where if your fight takes forever in a thoroughfare, you'll get a constant stream of reinforcements. And that's before Commanders or Trackers blow their horn and bring 10 additional orcs running to join the fight. Feels like there's always at least two archers somewhere shooting at you all the time too.

I imagine it just gets crazier from here, but also your damage goes up in time with Orc level, so maybe it all washes unless you're going after Captains way, way above your level. The first zone is tiny but has the full compliment of captains, so the area is literally crawling with encounters as you run around collecting stuff. Things aren't quite so cramped in the post-tutorial level.

All in all combat feels pretty smooth. Still has some of the same quirks as SoM. (No, Talion, you fucker, do not try to vault that fucking guy ag----nevermind.) I haven't felt unduly challenged, really the biggest threats are just the large damage chunks some captains hand out (like the guys with Curse Damage.)

Some of the new stuff does feel wonky though. Sliding only works like half the time, other times Talion just starts stealthing. The Wraith Glaive seems cool but the delay in swinging it by holding down X then releasing leaves you wide open to attack, so I really doubt it works when surrounded by a group of guys all focusing on you. Elven Wrath is kind of a mess IMO. Works for grunts but sometimes when you're trying to do the single target attack on a captain you just end up releasing a storm of arrows at him instead.

At least the new movement abilities work well (almost too well sometimes, you can easily overshoot your target by mashing jump too much, and you can catch ridiculous air if you double jump off a tower or something.) But if you're precise it feels like the game meets you halfway on most things.

If I have one enduring complaint about the game right now, it's that they made the Screen Shot tool use TWO BUTTONS to activate it. And it only correctly sees the input about half the time. So all those dank combat/execution screen shots are a lot harder to make since the game just won't freeze the action half the time when you hit the buttons. No idea why they did it this way, it's not like the left stick button press does anything so far that I can see.

Also gems seem like a pointless feature for the most part. There's three gem colors, 5 levels of gems, ever escalating bonuses based on the gem color and that's...pretty much it. You can see whole scope of the feature right from the outset, within the first hour of the game. So I can't imagine they're going to be interesting after 40 hours and picking up a few hundred of the things. Seems like they wanted to do more with this feature but it barely got past the most basic implementation.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:31:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 10, 2017, 03:39:45 pm »

"Enraged by Acrobatics"

well... sorry dude...
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 10, 2017, 04:29:35 pm »

"Enraged by everything."

It checks out.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 10, 2017, 05:26:12 pm »

I think they really nailed movement in this one. The double jump, the focus "super sprint", the "super climb", and more. It all really adds together to make movement through areas feel really fluid and fast. Moving across the map actually feels fun in a way.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:31:31 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 10, 2017, 05:28:41 pm »

I've been tweaking my Nemesis and Follower in anticipation, and I can tell just by the videos I've seen that they improved on the fluidity of movement a ton. It seemed a little off at first glace, but after watching some SoW gameplay, SoM Talion looks like he's walking through molasses.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:27 pm »

I fought my nemesis.  I bullied him in Shadow of Mordor so he went to the gym and became a cursed machine destroyer, crossbowman base class.

Exploding crossbow bolts and triple curse grenades. 

Hard difficulty is kind of bullshit.  Most missions are set in places where there's no verticality, which makes it almost impossible to heal up.  Meanwhile a billion fucking orcs attack you.

Dodging is still janky as fuck and doesn't work half the time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:41:22 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 11, 2017, 02:44:18 am »

What's bullshit is Defenders and Defender shields. I swear half of Nuren is nothing but guys with Defender Shield and Spear + Some other crazy class trait.

Tonight I had a fight with a Commander with a Defender Shield and it went on....for about 8 minutes. Had to run away at least once to heal. Had adapted to everything. Just could not seal the deal....then I circle strafed him, hit the attack button.....and kicked him squarely in the ass, killing him. It was the most anti-climatic triumph yet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 11, 2017, 06:14:21 am »

I do like that there's more options in combat in general, which keeps high level warchiefs from boiling down to stun>flurry over and over.

Shields are mostly a problem because dodging doesn't work.  It didn't work in shadow of mordor either.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 11, 2017, 08:11:24 am »

I met my Nemesis too yesterday.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, while they kept his appearance, his coolest trait (and the only reason I made him my Nemesis) did not get imported: He was using some shitty axes instead of the Ranger swords looted  from my dead comrades-in-arms.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:58 am »

It's always there.  Mines voice changed.  He had a grumpy terse style in som and was apparently in love with me for sow.

He was crazy strong, but it was a good finale
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 11, 2017, 11:33:19 am »

I stun locked my Nemesis when he showed up in the arena, so bad he never even got an attack off.

Then he showed up again 20 minutes later and we had a real fight.

Wondering when your bestie follower from SoM is supposed to show up though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:04:04 pm by nenjin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 11, 2017, 01:39:22 pm »

All my big bad vendetta captains end up being crossbows which isn't as fun.

I think mine is dead for good, I cut off an arm and a leg, but I've got my eye out.

Has anybody seen if captains follow you from zone to zone?  Like cheating death and ganking you in a different zone, etc.

I line how captains can appear suddenly.   Chasing down a fleeing captain and as I swing at him one who killed me before parries and saves him.
Shoes...

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 11, 2017, 05:50:57 pm »

I got my first Legendary weapon, a sword, after completing my first online vendetta. Yay!

Also I found a rare dagger that let's me poison an opponent with a dagger throw once every 45 seconds, and I love it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #628 on: October 11, 2017, 06:04:21 pm »

Also I found a rare dagger that let's me poison an opponent with a dagger throw once every 45 seconds, and I love it.
I have one that does fire and one that does poison. They're incredibly handy for exploiting weaknesses in captains, I just swap to whichever effect I need.

Except they don't work if the captain is 'immune to arrows'. cause a knife is an arrow right?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 11, 2017, 06:42:46 pm »

Nemesis difficulty was a mistake.

There's probably fifteen square feet of space in Mordor not occupied by an orc.  Dodge has a negative number of iframes.  Elven Rage does less damage than regular attacks, which do no damage.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 53