Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75377 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #300 on: July 16, 2017, 07:15:46 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQnf7jJLVic&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMQnf7jJLVic&has_verified=1

Stream about the Wraith Tree abilities. Basically goes over all the augments for each ability. Also shows off Sargost in more detail which hasn't been shown before.

Seems like they expect a lot of on the fly switching between gear and ability augments to meet the situation. Unlike SoM where it was pretty much your rune choices and that was it. I wonder if this is sort of their answer to difficulty in the new game, other than the difficulty modes, where if you don't switch up your skill augment choices to exploit weaknesses that everything is just that much harder without it.

They also make it a point to speak about making sure these augments are balanced so there's no best one to roll with.......yeah no. I can already see where there's one augment per ability that you basically want all the time, the others are simply bonus perks. Like, under the "Treasure" ability, your choices are 1) automatically pick up loot 2) get a chance at better loot or 3) increase the speed of domination. (Not sure how that relates to loot but w/e.) Faster domination speed is the obvious, clear winner there. But I suppose if you want to make the game harder on yourself at the very least you have other things to pick as advantages other than the thing that makes it easier to survive fights.

Or as another example the "Elven Light" ability, AKA Wraith Flash. Does fire aoe, frost aoe or poison aoe. Setting aside elemental vulnerabilities, after watching them use the ice aoe I probably wouldn't use it. All that really happens is you freeze everyone in an aoe around for about 4 seconds, which is just about the amount of time it takes you to Flurry a single frozen dude. Compared to fire where everyone takes damage and some run around panicking, or poison where everyone takes damage and is constantly interrupted throwing up everywhere. Of the three, based on what I've seen, the ice augment is the least useful one of the bunch unless you really like having a whole augment that makes it slightly easier to run away from fights. Again, for maximum effectiveness I know which one I'd pick. Each augment may appeal in its own way, but some are clearly more generally and widely useful than others.

At this point I think I'm also a little burnt out on info. Short of story missions it doesn't feel like there's much left to show I think, and I wouldn't want to get more spoilers than I already have about what the story missions are. I can easily see them covering the same stuff for the next ~2 months, methodically making videos about stuff the attentive viewer has already seen, on the lead up to release.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:24:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2017, 08:58:50 pm »

The elemental augments will probably change depending on your gear. A lot of gear is very element specific and so you would want to take advantage of it.

As for Treasure... Naw #2 is the best one. Shadow Mark is already an instant Dominate (heck a chain dominate)

A lot of picks are quite build specific when I think about it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »

Shadow Dominate costs Elf Shot though, which seems easier to get in SoW while being harder to stockpile.

The elemental augments will probably change depending on your gear. A lot of gear is very element specific and so you would want to take advantage of it.

I can see some fun builds coming together, but most of what I've seen on gear is "% chance to make a guy light on fire" or "heal 2 HP a second while you're poisoned" or "Apply elemental effect on a critical hit." i.e some very fiddly crap to set up when you're having to move around gear and skill selections. Of course we haven't seen everything that is out there but.....I've been seeing a lot of "Gee whiz" mechanics on SoW gear that reminds me strongly of how useless some runes in SoM were, compared to others. Weird specific stuff like "replenish elf shot on a stealth kill from below" or "heal health when branding from above." What.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 16, 2017, 09:38:00 pm »

One other difference with ice is when you attack someone frozen you do a entirely different attack animation.

Ice replaced the previous game's Stun.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 17, 2017, 12:34:16 pm »

Ha ha ha they added generic elemental magic stuff to LOTR what's next kung fu pandas and gnomes?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 17, 2017, 12:47:17 pm »

Ha ha ha they added generic elemental magic stuff to LOTR what's next kung fu pandas and gnomes?

Completely unlike the books. Isn't that right Morgoth?

Ohh wait...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:48 pm »

Completely unlike the books. Isn't that right Morgoth?

Ohh wait...

He did not throw fireballs and blizzagas at people, tho.

A better example to counteract myself would be the Witch-King, who used magic to light his sword on fire, but the Witch King was the only one to display this sort of thing. I'm not really that pissed, just poking fun at how it's drifting farther and farther from canon :3

I should have said "What's next, Legolas in every scene? Elves falling in love with dwarves? Etc etc"

I'm still buying it.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »

It was inevitable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2017, 01:50:14 pm »

Well there is... the sword that destroyed Morgoth...

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2017, 02:29:01 pm »

A sword didn't destroy him.

Do you mean Fingolfin's sword, Ringil? Fingolfin dueled and hobbled Morgoth (For all eternity. Ouch.), but was killed in the battle without killing his foe.

I do believe that a certain super-strong Valar warrior dragged him screaming from hits pits and threw Morgoth into the abyss...wherever that is. Somewhere past the... Doors of the Night, right?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2017, 02:31:25 pm »

Spoiler:  NINJA'D (click to show/hide)

I un-ninja'd this part.

Unless you mean the time Fingolfin dueled him, but Morgoth wasn't destroyed and I never took the description of his sword literally in that respect. I always thought of it as similar to Sting glowing blue.

To add more, it says his sword "Bit with a chilling cold". But this is also a description used in other parts of the Lord of the Rings, usually when evil creatures refer to things made to slay them (cold and bright, etc). I believe Gollum refers to elves' eyes in this respect, but I can't find the quote.

Anyway I'm looking forward to having some kind of absurd lightning-claymore and decapitating orcs for the third time with it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:36:31 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2017, 02:31:37 pm »

The Ice Blade.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 21, 2017, 03:41:22 pm »

Bundle Stars: 25% off a pre-order for Shadow of War until the 24th.

Bundle Stars has been endorsed by Steam staff before. I'm wary of such things but people seem to support it. Seems like a solid deal if you plan on pre-ordering it.

I'm curious why this deal hasn't appeared on Steam proper.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:45:24 pm by Jacob/Lee »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 21, 2017, 04:40:46 pm »

While I'd like to save some money on a pre-order, I just don't trust these non-Steam bundling outfits. And I don't really want to enrich these non-Steam ecosystems that are vaguely parasitic in nature, even if Steam says they're legit. All they're really doing is scooping up keys from regions with cheaper currency and reselling them here.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:52:10 pm by nenjin »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2017, 06:17:44 pm »

Except thats the whole reason steam changed the gifting and region-locked some of it, afaik. They probably aren't getting it all that cheaper.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53