Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 75389 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #225 on: July 06, 2017, 02:28:22 pm »

Weeelp, looks like I'll have to boot the ol' thing up and see who it thinks my nemesis is. And my "most trusted follower", for that matter...
It seems to pick your most powerful/influential branded and non-branded for both. Some warchief who survived my last playthrough (meaning that he was the only guy I didn't execute after the last mission) was my only branded Uruk left and became my follower. A power 19 captain-turned-warchief called the King-Slayer that never actually killed me (I'm not sure he even fought me) became my nemesis. I shanked my follower and put a power 5 drunkard in his place. I really hope they still have the hammered captains in SoW so I can hear the stupid friendly speeches they'll give.  :P

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 06, 2017, 02:50:11 pm »

Okay, playing the thing now and they don't even let you keep the runes from story mode, so I guess you'd have to go out and get them all over again? Pretty dumb.

E: Nevermind, captains aren't even dropping runes *shrug*
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:02:38 pm by OzyTheSage »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 06, 2017, 02:50:19 pm »

E: Sidenote, I hope that they let you use PS4 button prompts on the computer, most of my 'stupid death' moments were from pressing X instead of Square.
I've never played a game that gave me this option, unfortunately.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 06, 2017, 03:15:17 pm »

Weeelp, looks like I'll have to boot the ol' thing up and see who it thinks my nemesis is. And my "most trusted follower", for that matter...
I really hope they still have the hammered captains in SoW so I can hear the stupid friendly speeches they'll give.  :P

They do. They've featured a couple of them in their previews.

And yeah, any publisher making a new game closely tied to a previous one is going to do everything they can to amp up sales for the old game prior to the release of the new. Pretty interesting they took the time to update SoM to give people a legit reason though.

And I too never had a Nemesis that truly plagued me. I think I had "Bag Head" come back a few times but I always kicked the shit out of them so hard they never felt like a "Nemesis." More like "Orc who just doesn't get the message they died so I have to send it again, harder and more violently than before."

That said, I never ended up with a multi-shot spear or archer asshole as a Nemesis. Those guys are straight broken in SoM and they look even nastier in SoW.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 06, 2017, 03:32:02 pm »

Worst guy I ever had to deal with was a dude with exploding crossbow bolts, immunities to stealth and ranged attacks, and combat master I think? It was a while ago, so I don't remember the exact combination of traits, but ultimately the only way I could have beat him was a death by 1000 cuts. And when I had to focus on keeping other dicks off my back he'd gain distance and hit me with some 'splosions. Any time he popped up I knew I was going to die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 06, 2017, 05:37:24 pm »

I had some issues with a crossbowman early on in the game, but by the time I made it to Nurn he'd been dead and buried for ages. You just get too powerful after a while.

Shadow of Mordor kinda falls into the same category as Magicka, in that the game's a lot more fun if you're really bad at it... After nameless crossbow dude the only other commander that even comes to mind was the random mook I let kill me so I could promote him to warchief and get a level 25 rune and an achievement out of him (funnily enough, he ended up being named Dûsh).

Compare that to TearofGrace's playthrough with Giggles, Bane, and all the rest that he derpily died to so many times.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 06, 2017, 06:10:49 pm »

Part of it to is, if I actually got a Nemesis that was nasty, my first goal was to....hunt them down and end them as permanently as possible. I wasn't just like "Oh, Bubol Butt Sniffer killed me and handily, I guess I'll just go faff around and forget he existed until he shows up again."

Like, when I put my mind to it, basically any Orc is dog food. So the Nemesis system never really felt like it played out as intended for me. Yeah, a returning orc might get the best of me once, maybe even twice if I didn't learn my lesson. But I generally had to go to pains to not just wreck them all the same.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2017, 06:56:04 pm »

I was only moderately disappointed when I reinstalled a few months back and never really got an enemy that hounded me like Ol' Splodeybolts did. I was looking forward to getting someone like that branded. Kind of screwed my the pooch when I started regularly purging the commanders for fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2017, 08:19:16 pm »

Well just played Nemesis Forge to arrange things how I want for SoW.

And it struck me that it's all largely pointless anyways.

-Their traits will be incomplete at best. Tons of new ones will get added and probably only a real weakness that maps to something in SoW will persist.
-Their voice acting/voice actor will probably not be the same. The jury is still out on whether voice over lines will be reused, and even if they are that's not really a big bonus.
-Their look will likely not be the same. While I'm sure there will be some asset reusage, their coloration will change because they will have obnoxious blue paint smeared all over them. If you liked their look in SoM, I'd expect it to be very different in SoW.

That pretty much leaves their name and any history you have with them, which.....

My game had 80% of orcs dominated. I spent a lot of time manufacturing cool looking orks and culling uninteresting ones. My "Follower" was the left most Branded Warchief, and I had to kill him and two others before it landed on the one I thought was coolest. It just moved to the right one, selecting the next dude in the line up as my bestie follower. Didn't exactly seem deep.

And then I spent about another 2 hours killing more Captains in Nemesis mode before I found one I liked, and tediously let him kill me/complete some events (not as easy as it sounds....) to level up. Again I just picked him because his gear looked cool, not because he had rockin traits or anything. After the first time I let him kill me, his traits changed a little and that was it....for the next 7 levels. Even upgrading to Legendary didn't give him anything new.

It all kind of leaves me going "meh" after I've thought about it and spent the time to do it. Thrakk The Executioner looks cool in my game, but will I really care in the next game because he's more or less going to be a completely new character, and pops up to go "hey remember me?!?"

For all the hype of the Nemesis System, at the end of the day it's the lack of difficulty that's truly made it hard for to really take it seriously sometimes. Viciously murdering every orc was my MO for the entire game before I started to experiment. And it's like the more I try to actually work with the Nemesis system in SoM, the less impressed I am by the results. You'd think letting the same orc kill you 7 times in a row would make him into a huge badass. No. Apparently he just starts talking about how you've made murder boring for him. Nice.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:26:51 pm by nenjin »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 07, 2017, 12:07:07 am »

So I got Shadow of Mordor as a gift during the sale, and I've got a problem.  Now, I don't want to pull a two-year necro on the SoM thread, so does anyone have some advice on taking down a spear captain with: combat master, ranged-immune, stealth-immune, monster slayer, plus vault-breaker, battle hardened, and a slew of other nasty traits, and the only hint it gives me is that he can be damaged by explosions, which isn't very helpful.  Should I just start over?  This guy is nearly invulnerable.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 07, 2017, 12:31:51 am »

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm disappointed I never get any captains that are that awesome. Not that it helps them in duels...or even against normal orcs.

The secret to fighting combat masters is attacking them from behind so they can't block you. After you attack you have to roll out of the way of his counter-attack. Repeat for what seems like forever.

Have you unlocked the ability to blow up campfires yet?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:39:30 am by Vgray »

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 07, 2017, 12:52:11 am »

I had two that used to bug me.
One crossbow guy the died at least 23 times.
And another that died around 7 times, his first was after a life drain attack and he came back pale and magic scarred. He was a simple brute.
The crossbow orc was my friend by the end of the game.
Once after killing him and the fight ended, another fight triggered and he screams my name, his other body barely 100 meters away made me laugh at my orc buddy, he eventually became a baghead after I played with him once and decapitated him. I must have killed him nearly every way, he was great fun but he wasnt over powered or hard in anyway I kept cutting his head off and I was finally done with him....
No goodbyes, no nothing.
I guess an orc can only be decapitated a certain amount of times
××××××××××××××××××

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 07, 2017, 02:25:12 am »

So I got Shadow of Mordor as a gift during the sale, and I've got a problem.  Now, I don't want to pull a two-year necro on the SoM thread, so does anyone have some advice on taking down a spear captain with: combat master, ranged-immune, stealth-immune, monster slayer, plus vault-breaker, battle hardened, and a slew of other nasty traits, and the only hint it gives me is that he can be damaged by explosions, which isn't very helpful.  Should I just start over?  This guy is nearly invulnerable.

One thing is as Vgray mentioned, the other (slightly more tedious, but simpler) method is to just spam stunning attacks against them. Stuns actually deal a very small amount of damage, and nothing blocks them even if the uruk in question doesn't really get *stunned*. Just whittle him down.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 07, 2017, 09:00:55 am »

Also you can just combat brand the shit out of every orc near you and let them deal with him.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 07, 2017, 09:23:23 am »

So I just started playing this since it's a free weekend and all. It's pretty fun. However, this was the second Orc Captain I ran into that didn't seem to be story-determined.

Spoiler: Meet Mozû the Noble (click to show/hide)

I've only encountered him twice, once directly after my first Captain (I let him run away), where he didn't manage to kill me himself but bled me enough that some "Hot Tongs" guy or something killed me (I got revenge on him). The second time he killed me himself. He had another captain accompanying him then as well (some Rataatak Fire-Brander guy - his friends really seem obsessed with fire. No wonder he becomes enraged when burned). Am I ever going to top this? He even has a cool hat.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53