Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [7/9] - Game Over  (Read 72046 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [9/9] - Day 1: Three replacements needed
« Reply #315 on: May 10, 2017, 01:04:59 am »

hey uh,
probably not a good time to mention this but
request replacement
I'm going to be very busy indeed for an indeterminate and hopefully indefinite period of time as of a little over a day from now, so ideally you'll never see me again.
:(
Ideally isn't the word I'd use in that case, since I see you as both a good friend, and a good player.
Um, I really wish you well with what's going to happen, and I hope you and all of your friends and otherwise take care in the meantime.

Ideally, I'd wish you well even if you may not be able to play here ever again u_u
But cheers to seeing you here \o/ and the time we've had.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [9/9] - Day 1: Four replacements needed
« Reply #316 on: May 10, 2017, 07:39:32 am »

doll is now up for replacement.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 10, 2017, 08:56:43 am »

Replace in
reading
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 10, 2017, 10:10:22 am »

Alex I'll take How to look at my schedule and not be a shitter for 500 dollars.

@TDS I would just end the game half of the player already requested replacement. Sorry dude.
Or not it's cool.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 10, 2017, 10:32:09 am »

@TDS I would just end the game half of the player already requested replacement. Sorry dude.

We'll see how replacements go. It's been less than 24 hours since people started requesting replacement so I'm inclined to wait a bit.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 10, 2017, 10:35:38 am »

I can replace in. Need more practice with basic mafia skills anyhow.

Do note my posting schedule may be slightly sporadic. More during the beginning of the week, less further on, and none on Sunday.

Real life is weird.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 10, 2017, 10:39:08 am »

I can replace in. Need more practice with basic mafia skills anyhow.

Do note my posting schedule may be slightly sporadic. More during the beginning of the week, less further on, and none on Sunday.

Real life is weird.

Replace in
reading

Thanks Lenglon and FoU. I'll get roles sent out shortly. I'll put Lenglon in as webadict and FoU in as doll.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [9/9] - Day 1: Two replacements needed
« Reply #322 on: May 10, 2017, 10:43:43 am »

Welcome to the game folks.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 10, 2017, 11:18:06 am »

still doing my initial read, but Hapah - I have a vague malformed mistrust of you and I don't know why. I'm up to this post in my read. Tell me why while I finish my read, analyze your posts, and see about making an actual case out of my gut instinct here.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 10, 2017, 11:31:13 am »

No post this working; big work-related development. Will catch up this evening. Welcome new folks!

Leng: I can't tell you why you feel what ya feel, but go ahead and finish your read, I thought my last couple of posts were more interesting than the early stuff.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 10, 2017, 11:49:14 am »

am up to here in my read.

Hapah, do you mind telling me what your read was of our four replacing players before they replaced, and what your read is of them now?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 10, 2017, 12:21:41 pm »

Initial read complete. I've got a better idea of why Hapah in particular is bugging me now, but I haven't done LurkerTracker analysis yet, and that can take a couple hours.

Hapah, do you mind also responding to doll from here:
Which draw attention to how active you are, rather than actual inactivity, which I'm commenting on. You're not doing anything scummy by it, but you're doing yourself no favors by promising something (you don't actually get anything out of a post which says 'I'll be active later' and it even encourages people to move against you because it's easier to see you as more 'active' without actually changing the amount of content you create - it is better (looks townier) to have a few posts with the same amount of content as a large number of posts, most of which are devoid of meaning; it's easier to keep the discussion on point, too, since most responses to you will be directly related to your most recent post if you cut out the 'fluff' of promising evening activity while you are at work etc.). This is my advice on a stronger playstyle with regards to how you appear when posting in this manner; you can see in the classic scumchat of Wild West Mafia how Jim comments on the use of holding off on posting until it actually suits you to do so; this might not be for you but to my mind it works so I'll carry through with it. (for reference, while Jim is scum in that game he comments specifically that he would still wait as town regardless)
Quote from: doll
The reason to vote 4maskwolf is that he responded to pressure by making a non-case. That means that he has no interest in finding scum. He has an interest in staying alive, which is why he shot that bait-filled post at me (to force me to overextend myself and fall flat when I tried to lynch him) but doing this demonstrated that he is engaged with the game (since he responded to pressure without a vote) and that his engagement does not involve a desire to find out more (about scum). This means that he is scum, as opposed to merely inactive.
Something missing here?
You've quoted the summary of the core of my case. Do you agree with it? If not, why not? If so, why aren't you voting 4maskwolf?
-Because it strikes me as odd for individuals to make their case to specific players; normally people make their case and let the chips fall where they may IIRC. You've done this twice now; it could just be a playstyle that I'm not accustomed to
I mean, doing that is great and all if all you want is to brag in deadchat or after the thread that 'I totally picked scum I'm such a great player lol' but if you want to actually lynch someone you've got to move the town, and different players in different situations are moved by quite different things. I'm treating roo as nearly confirmed town, and roo seems to think of me quite well, so all I need to move their vote is a decent idea and for them not to be doing anything much with it. On the contrary, to move hector's vote all I needed was the strongest case available to the town - to move johiah's I might need to bully him tangential to the game, to move you I might need to engage with your thoughts as you present them and speak on those topics on which you remain unconvinced, to move TheBiggerFish I might even need to get the rest of the town to be saying certain things. Mafia is quantized, and the basic unit (the vote) is actually rather large. This kind of contemporary, quantum mafia is why 4maskwolf and webadict talk about me like I'm a kawaii Bobby Fischer, but it's really just applying the principles that everybody knows they are supposed to use - if they want to win. (you can see this, again, in Jim's Wild West Mafia, where he effectively controls the lynch the whole game through - by picking what players are able to vote by selecting [as scum] who will die each night and keeping around a group he can control).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I honestly can't comment on whether or not my claim that I got the 'wrong' number (which was, as it stands, the right number - for the initial situation described and on which that post was commenting) was actually true because I can't remember if I had actually been thinking of the other case at that time. I do know that the thing which made me comment on my 'wrong maths' was that I had gotten conjugated the live scum and the dead townie as empty points and treated them as only one non-target during my working out - in the later post. This whole chain of reasoning is curious to me (as a useless, academic thing - the whole ordeal seems rather pointless for you to be going through), because your premise is based on my intentionally asking about something which I did the odds on as being a great opportunity to exploit - for me as scum. Asking about this raised awareness, particular among the key 4maskwolf/Webadict/Hapah demographic that I was relying upon to sure up my technical analysis throughout the thread (i.e. to catch me if I ever fuck up my math).

I (and 4maskwolf) do a lot of math in my mafia. You can see this very heavily in Day 3 of P25, where I do nothing but math for quite a while (and then go inactive) - and 4maskwolf joins in (incidentally, if you check scumchat, they realize that my lockstep plan would win the game for town - because town had such an overwhelming mechanical advantage. That sort of autoloss for scum is only really going to occur here if we start hitting guilty inspects while mislynches are floating around [the classic, scum 1 claims cop when the cop has a guilty on scum 2 being the most likely case] or the scum completely miss the cop and his activity).
The other bit, for me at least, is that doll seems a little....arrogant is the word I'm going to use, though I don't know the right one? Already lining up lynches for the next day without evaluating the results of the first one, or the results of the night actions. It's not a lot to go on (hell, I'm not evening voting on it), but it's curious enough to me (and in my eyes we're lynching someone for less). That's all for now!
Arrogant works. Webadict called it confident. The simple fact is that I knew that nobody could push a lynch on me today, and they didn't - because it would cost the town too much to be wrong and nobody has any overwhelming reason to think that they would be right (see: Webadict's commentary on this).
As soon as you decide who you are lynching on any given day, you can either stop using that lynch as a threat or stop tightening your grip on your actual target. If I wasn't lining other players up to be lynched tomorrow, I couldn't threaten both them and 4maskwolf today.
[/quote][/spoiler]
You said:
bluh bluh

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
    The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (40000 characters).

Split into three posts instead I guess.
Yup, not reading that tonight, lol. Will take a stab at it tomorrow.
It's tomorrow, and I just read the entire thread in the past few hours, surely the one post isn't too much to ask of you.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 10, 2017, 12:24:31 pm »

EBWOP

I hate how nested spoilers break. my apologies for my last post, corrected version below:

Initial read complete. I've got a better idea of why Hapah in particular is bugging me now, but I haven't done LurkerTracker analysis yet, and that can take a couple hours.

Hapah, do you mind also responding to doll from here

You said:
bluh bluh

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
    The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (40000 characters).

Split into three posts instead I guess.
Yup, not reading that tonight, lol. Will take a stab at it tomorrow.
It's tomorrow, and I just read the entire thread in the past few hours, surely the one post isn't too much to ask of you.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 10, 2017, 12:27:35 pm »

apologies for the massive multi-post here.
TDS: Votecount and time until the lynch please? I'm outside my normal timezone so if you could include lynch in X number of days + hours it would be lovely to help handle the timezone change.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 10, 2017, 12:28:28 pm »

Well, I'll be reading up on the thread, then.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36