Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [7/9] - Game Over  (Read 72034 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [9/9] - Day 1: Discussion begins.
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2017, 11:59:51 pm »

Doubloon-Seven: You're not new to the concept of Mafia.
Why are you doing even worse than me at it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2017, 12:13:40 am »

Player 1: hey player 2 get engaged ask questions.

Player 2: question?

Player 1: uhh dumb question Fuck head

Lol what? I thought this was a beginner game?

@Doll why aren't you mad at webadict and 4mask for not adding anything to the game?

If anything tbf is a lazy low effort vote or do you disagree?
Or not it's cool.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2017, 01:01:51 am »

Doubloon-Seven: You're not new to the concept of Mafia.
Why are you doing even worse than me at it?
He's not, because a lack of dialogue is better than empty dialogue which only fosters hostility.
Which of the two of you is on his way to being lynched on Day 1?

Player 1: hey player 2 get engaged ask questions.
Player 2: question?
Player 1: uhh dumb question Fuck head
Lol what? I thought this was a beginner game?
I know that acting like a 'passive' aggressive shit and generally putting words in people's mouths in order to instigate conflict is sort of your thing but could you tone it down?
Asking questions which don't advance the game is tolerated insomuch as this is an opportunity to learn ask other questions instead.
Acting like criticism is an unhelpful attack on the character of the other person defeats the whole point of their taking an opportunity to learn.
@Doll why aren't you mad at webadict and 4mask for not adding anything to the game?
If anything tbf is a lazy low effort vote or do you disagree?
They are adding to the game. My interaction with 4mask is the most usable part of the thread to date. Webadict hasn't posted much so there's not much to comment on there, but his posts aren't empty and his RVS question was actually useful.
There's no such thing as a lazy low effort vote in RVS. We're still in RVS.
TheBiggerFish has made it clear that at present he has no intent to contribute to the discussion. This makes it impossible to read him. The chance that he is scum has no bearing on the number of players left, as scum would never kill such a useless townie. That means that the best thing we can do with him is to lynch him early, because otherwise we incur an opportunity cost for leaving him alive. Unless someone appears who is scummy enough to overcome that opportunity cost or TBF pulls himself together and contributes to the game, we are lynching him today. This is bad for town, because it limits our ability to hunt, given that TBF is unlikely to be scum (statistically) and we could easily do better if we were scum hunting, but having TBF here takes a lot of pressure off whoever is being called scum. For this reason, it is especially scummy (and not merely a neutral 'anti-town') to be unhelpful this Day1, since it would be hard to be more unhelpful than TBF.

roo
You seem to be acting like we're well out of RVS, in which case you must have something you can point on to call somebody scum.
Why are you voting Webadict? Is he scum?
You haven't annotated your vote. Is there any particular point on which you would like to apply pressure?
Who do you think is scummy right now?

Hapah
Sober enough to address my question?
Do you have any commentary you feel you should give on 4maskwolf or Webadict in this game so far?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2017, 01:16:41 am »

doll: What exactly makes you think I have no intent to contribute to the discussion, exactly?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2017, 01:20:09 am »

...Heck, I asked roo why he was voting for webadict before you did...
Sigtext

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2017, 02:31:04 am »

doll: What exactly makes you think I have no intent to contribute to the discussion, exactly?
In my experience, intent usually precedes an attempt.
A single one word post does not serve as a contribution to the discussion.
...Heck, I asked roo why he was voting for webadict before you did...
You didn't actually.
You said 'why', alone, without meaningful context. You clearly either expect us (i.e. roo) to read your mind, or don't actually have the faintest interest in learning about roo's motivation in voting Webadict.
You haven't articulated what you want to know, so nobody can try intuit your motivations.
You haven't articulated what you do know, so nobody can try to intuit your position.
You haven't instigated any sort of interaction beyond a bit of mindless conflict early into the game.
You haven't made the barest attempt to make your posts easily legible and connected to the context on which they supposedly are based, so you're asking everyone to do a lot of work in order to get virtually nothing out of you.
You haven't interacted with a single player on your own time and have merely fielded questions weakly at best and sat on a metagrudge in which, incidentally, you are largely in the wrong.

You've been playing mafia a long time. There's no excuse for continuing this type of behavior.
Ask a pertinent question to every player in the thread.
Reply to players using quotes and quote snippets such that it is easy to follow the flow of the conversation.

You haven't done anything to find mafia. The most you have done is ask players to go over things again for your benefit.
Or did roo at some point go from being your metagrudge to being scum? Did you ever think to articulate this?

For the record, my vote is still on Gentlefish because he:
Responded to me after having read my post, but without addressing my question to him in said post,
Is not voting,
Is active on Bay12, but not in this thread.

Gentlefish is suspicious and he does need to clarify his position, particularly with regards to the fact that he isn't helping anything to move along.

I was thinking my vote was stuck in the weekend limbo that B12 mafia often goes into, but Gentlefish has been active on B12 well after I voted him, so he really does need to pay his due in the here and now.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2017, 07:16:40 am »

Generally I try to get about 8 hours of sleep, and I had a thing last night.
I didn't really plan on asking a load of questions cus I planned on analyzing you guys based on how you reacted to each other, but here goes
@everyone who seems the most likely to be mafia so far in your opinion?

Also still not really sure who to vote for but if I need to vote I guess vote TBF since he is getting lynched anyways, whether I vote or not.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2017, 07:42:16 am »

Also still not really sure who to vote for but if I need to vote I guess vote TBF since he is getting lynched anyways, whether I vote or not.

Please mark your votes by writing them in red (and preferably bold red) so that it's easy for me to see them and so that it's clear that it's really a vote.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2017, 07:46:08 am »

Ok.
Vote TBF

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LXI - [9/9] - Day 1: Discussion Begins.
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2017, 07:51:33 am »

The discussion starts to heat up. Some people seem sure they know which nations want to rule the world; other people disagree with them or are still thinking about it. But time is ticking...

Hapah:
doll:
johiah:
Gentlefish(1): doll
Doubloon-Seven:
TheBiggerFish(4): 4maskwolf, Hapah, webadict, johiah
roo(1): TBF
4maskwolf:
webadict(1): roo

Not voting(2): Gentlefish, Doubloon-Seven

Day 1 ends Wednesday, May 3rd at roughly 2pm forum time.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2017, 08:18:12 am »

I didn't really plan on asking a load of questions cus I planned on analyzing you guys based on how you reacted to each other, but here goes
How precisely are we going to determine whether or not we should lynch you if you don't say anything?
If everyone follows your plan, what exactly would you be analyzing? An empty thread?
Forming your own reads is vastly less important than controlling the reads developed by other players.

@everyone who seems the most likely to be mafia so far in your opinion?
Giving a direct response to this right now would skew my ability to apply pressure in several key cases.
I'll say right now though that your deliberate inattention and passive aggressive style make you a prime target for hostile town intention.

Why the fuck are you asking us this question without giving an answer yourself? Everyone else has done some work (for want of a better term in some cases) in the thread. Instead of asking everyone else to do more work and tell you about themselves, why don't you do some work and tell us about yourself and what you see right now?

That is literally the worst vote (reason) you could give.
Players get lynched because people vote for them.
Voting for a random player is perfectly acceptable at this early stage in the game, because it motivates that player to work and get the vote off of them.  Voting for a player because they are going to get lynched means that not only does your vote have no value in being cast towards lynching scum or indicating your opinion, it also fails to apply pressure to the player since they are already going to get lynched.

Johiah
Johiah
Doubloon-Seven, TheBiggerFish and yourself are all effectively inactive. Is there any point lynching outside of those players?
Why am I voting for Gentlefish?
Why the fuck are you not voting?
Answer the questions.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2017, 08:33:03 am »

I really did not expect Mafia to be this involved.
Will think of questions.

@doll
Well right now I don't really see anything. At least nothing obvious. I don't know anyone on these forums well enough to know when they are acting differently, and no one is going to just come out and say they are mafia.
I would assume you are voting gentlefish to try to get him to talk or something, and the reason I wasn't voting was because I was asleep.

Anyways, I need to go make breakfast. Running a country is hard work.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2017, 10:40:17 am »

Sorry, this was probably a bad time to join. Anyway, I'll try to do things better.

Yeah, that was a bad question, my apologies. Anyway, biggest target right now is TBF. I can see why, what with not really saying much that of a viewpoint. It isn't necessarily an arrow toward scumville, I dislike antagonization, at least on D1. D2, sure, there's actual evidence, but for now we're just going on opinion and hearsay, which should support a more relaxed first day. Also, I don't like meta arguments being used. Simply that TBF has had some poor experiences doesn't mean that roo is scum. Also, @TheBiggerFish? Well, those games were learning experiences. I'm still a newb, and you're definitely more experienced than I am.

So, for those reasons mentioned in my post above, and the corresponding quotes complete with opinion/explanation, I'm voting TBF.

Vote TheBiggerFish

Anyway, @doll, this is how I'm not going to be inactive.

Avanti!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2017, 11:22:04 am »

Oh for...

One: People vote for less reasons than "I really think this player is horrible" in RVS.  But if you're going to call me on that you really ought to call webadict om it too, because he's voting me for the exact same reason I'm voting roo.

Two: You do realize the context of the second quote, in which Johiah was suggesting we disarm the nukes that are entirely fluff?

Three: None of these explanations have anything to say about scumminess.

@Johiah: Why are you bandwagoning?

@Doubloon-Seven: Explain more thoroughly.
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2017, 11:27:17 am »

Doubloon-Seven: Is there a point at which, regardless of alignment, you would lynch a player?
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36