Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Status of invasions  (Read 923 times)

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
Status of invasions
« on: April 15, 2017, 05:32:51 am »

Okay, dumb question, nothing to do but ask. Are invasions working in the current version?

I stopped playing current versions a couple of years ago because when the calendar feature came along, invasions and sieges became rare to nonexistent, and I got bored without them, and reverted to 34.11 with the Masterwork mod.

Is it safe to come back to whatever's current now? I'm tired of living in olden times. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:38:10 am by Bodkin »
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Status of invasions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:21:22 am »

Invasions have been a thing for a long time. The first invasions you are likely to get are forgotten beast attacks, but depending on your location, you can get goblin sieges, necromancer attacks, etc. Just be patient and you will find these.

Also, goblins can only come when your population is high enough. I heard the requirement was 80+, though I'm not sure.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:29:01 am »

Invasions have been a thing for a long time. The first invasions you are likely to get are forgotten beast attacks, but depending on your location, you can get goblin sieges, necromancer attacks, etc. Just be patient and you will find these.

Also, goblins can only come when your population is high enough. I heard the requirement was 80+, though I'm not sure.
If you want sieges embark near a necro tower. You can get one in the first year.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 07:47:28 am »

I think sieges have become slightly more common in 0.43.05 than it was in 0.40.X as the result of fixing an army pathing bug (but resulting in various siege bugs currently, such as hello/goodbye sieges and siegers caught in limbo).

Embarking near a black tower gives you a chance for a 2-3 sieges, after which they run out of bodies (provided you don't just turtle until the go away, of course). However, you should be the closest target for the tower: I've had a number of cases where I FINALLY managed to get a tower within range, only to see (through Legends Mode) that they immediately went to war with 5 other civs and were decimated.

Ensuring sieges from goblins is similarly finicky: You should be their closest target, or they're likely to deal with other targets first. More importantly, their closest site should be a well stocked one, as armies are sent from a single site only and DF doesn't know how to recruit from other sites yet, so a 50 pop black pit is probably good for 2-3 sieges. 70 years later you may get two insult sieges of raw recruits when they've finally climbed back up to a pop of 30 (has happened to me). Thus, make sure their closest site is either their dark tower or a large site (again, Legends Mode is useful here to check that the world actually may be useful).

Since the next release can provoke wars with civs that aren't currently eligible because they're not the closest one for their race, new options might appear then (whenever then is, X months away).

Derpy Dev is correct in that the default siege trigger is a pop of 80, but it can be lowered to 50 or 20. snow dwarf's comment about necros is correct as well: they can show up in the first summer, so you should have a door ready and sufficient stores inside by then.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 09:56:45 am »

Sieges definitely still exist, but your world needs a little history to make them happen because location does matter. Toady made sieges make more sense, so there are some paramaters to who can siege you. Armies must physically move across the map to your fort. This means that if you live really far away from a other enemy civs, you won't get sieged because it isn't worth it to send an army across the entire earth to haul back some trinkets and get eaten by forgotten beasts on the way back. It also means that if the army can't get to your area you can't be sieged. Islands and valleys surrounded by mountains can't be sieged because of that.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 06:07:37 pm »

Embark with goblin neighbours in a highly populated world. Goblins will invade almost every time after you've reached the population trigger (80 or whatever you set it to yourself). Ignore the earlier "sieges" where one or two guys appear then dissapear. They're not sieges, just something weird which is triggering the siege warning (and adding a notice to legends).

And as noted above, add a tower for zombie fun (be aware that they may just turn up a couple of seasons in).

In the next update, goblins (and others) might just decide you're worth crossing the world to invade. Because you have wonderous artifacts that their spies have been checking out, because you've somehow, quite innocently, ended up with their artifacts, or because you've been sending people to burn their beakdogs and shave their trolls for lols and they're now tired of it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:12:29 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 08:42:51 pm »

Thanks! I need my mayhem!
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.