Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Evolution Game 2 OOC/Sign-Ups  (Read 15970 times)

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Game 2 OOC/Sign-Ups
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2017, 11:49:26 pm »

How much would a pair of mandibles cost? Specifically, mandibles designed for offense, not scavenging or digging.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2017, 11:51:24 pm »

:o Crap.  Now i'm scared.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:42 pm »

Yes you could invest in multiple resistances. Its sort of an arms race. As your prey makes it's poisons more deadly, you'll have to invest more points in resistances to keep from being poisoned. Also, as of a turn or two ago, you switched into corrosion/acid damage, if I recall correctly.
I remember stating Corrosive Venom, I don't know if venom could be acidic, but that's what I was going with that adaptation. Also, I remember you referring to the "genetic arms race" a few posts ago...
Toxins work in an evolutionary arms race. Creatures start at venom or poison 1, and some creatures can have venom, poison resistance, or general resistance 1. I would say corrosion is another separate category. So no one would have resistance to it to start. And since you already have venom and stinging cells, it would cost you 2 EP to switch from venom into corrosion.

Edited @Mardent, how are you the one scared if you are in a completely different zone, my species is the one that has been ruthlessly eating them, Karma I guess for me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:56:09 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2017, 11:58:19 pm »

Yeah, as of now, your species injects acid into its prey melting it from the inside. At least that's how I interpreted the evolution. If that is incorrect, send me a PM and we can work out exactly how your stingers function.

How much would a pair of mandibles cost? Specifically, mandibles designed for offense, not scavenging or digging.

3 EP. As of now you have no hard carapace, which makes growing hard parts like mandibles expensive.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2017, 12:02:32 am »

Yeah, as of now, your species injects acid into its prey melting it from the inside. At least that's how I interpreted the evolution. If that is incorrect, send me a PM and we can work out exactly how your stingers function.

3 EP. As of now you have no hard carapace, which makes growing hard parts like mandibles expensive.
How much for a hard carapace?

And how much would mandibles cost if I already have a hard carapace?
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2017, 12:14:20 am »

How much for a hard carapace?

And how much would mandibles cost if I already have a hard carapace?

You're looking at a 5 EP cost total. 3 for the hardening aspect of whichever you start with and then 2 to modify an existing structure in a complex way. You could save an EP if you went for horns instead of mandibles (if you got the carapace first) because then you aren't modifying your mouth.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2017, 01:37:15 am »

It would take 1 EP to develop a sense of smell for my antenna, yes?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2017, 01:50:01 am »

Yup, senses are basically in a scale. 3 EP will get you great acuity in whatever sense you're investing in. One is enough to get a weak version of that sense.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2017, 02:55:27 am »

Yup, senses are basically in a scale. 3 EP will get you great acuity in whatever sense you're investing in. One is enough to get a weak version of that sense.
Soo, I could upgrade heat sensitivity in the antenna as well then. Antenna are basically no different in terms of EP expenditure, they're just more universal(which doesn't really affect the game all that much...)?

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2017, 07:23:55 am »

Are the Moplurals impacting my food?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2017, 07:37:48 am »

Whaaaat. No! Of course not.

Now, Microsis Exertialum, they're impacting our food. Not content with wiping out blue algae, now they want to wipe out the green plants as well.
Long Live United Forenia!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2017, 11:25:55 am »

Hardly to not at all. Anytime a large creature eats something it creates "scraps." These are tiny bits of food that get added to the ecosystem for smaller things to eat. Most of them get sent to the deep ocean at the end of the turn. The moplurals eat your scraps before that happens. If they eat all your scraps they may nibble your food income a little bit, but not enough to make a difference.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2017, 11:44:34 am »

After some deliberation and questions I've decided to make a few rulings/statements on some of the things that haven't been discussed in detail. 

Size increases: 1 EP = a 50% size increase to both length and width. So a 2 EP expenditure doubles the size of your creature. It is important to note that doubling your size is likely to double the amount of food required to sustain your population.

Mouth size matters. If your species has a 2 inch mouth, it can only fit things up to 2 inches inside of it. Evolving ways to take small bites out of big things (and other such solutions) could help you work around this.

Intelligence matters. Having a smarter creature means it may be able to outsmart prey, or adapt to situations better. I've been thinking about sending out extra info to smarter species (now that we're getting smarter species), but no promises on that.

Senses matter. If you've blind, have no sense of smell or hearing, or other sense, you're already at a disadvantage. Finding food is hard for these creatures.

There are 3 kinds of bioweapon in the game: poison/toxin, venom, and acid. Having a resistance to one does not mean you have resistance to the others. Similarly physical attack matters, having armor and weapons (especially if you're a predator) help take down prey. Right now we don't have a lot of those kinds of evolutions going on.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2017, 11:52:37 am »

A 1.5x increase in size to both length and width, means that you can spend 1 EP for a 2.25x size increase in your species general size, seems like a pretty dramatic change for such a low EP cost

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2017, 11:59:59 am »

A 1.5x increase in size to both length and width, means that you can spend 1 EP for a 2.25x size increase in your species general size, seems like a pretty dramatic change for such a low EP cost
Growing bigger (or smaller) is a fairly common thing, evolutionarily. Island dwarfism/gigantism and all that, you know?
Besides, growing bigger is likely to cause a mass die-off of your species as you outgrow your food supply. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13