Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Evolution Game 2 OOC/Sign-Ups  (Read 16019 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Game 2 OOC/Sign-Ups
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2017, 09:25:22 pm »

I think here is the way you ordered out the EP system, at least from my consensus
1 EP: A minor change to a existing faction or structure
2 EP: A significant change to a existing function or structure
3 EP: Develop a new structure/function for your character, it ranges from minor to moderate
4 EP: Develop a complex structure/function for your species
Of course this is not accounting for things like upgrading or the development of senses.

It does vary a bit based on complexity. One species wanted to grow hooks on its head, and that thats not super complex so it wasn't expensive despite being a new structure. However, say your a slime monster and you want to go from excreting slime to excreting a hard shell, that would be at least 2 EP because its more complex and different. The above is the guideline I use, but if something doesn't really fit into that I mostly say "Eh, its X EP." and try to give it a reasonable price.

More importantly, how expensive would it be if the Stubornians cilia on their tendrils changed into like pointy barb-like needles, which will help them pierce prey and hold onto them injecting a more continuous stream of venom.

At this point your tentacles just drag along the ground, there isn't a lot of force involved, its the stinging tentacles that make it effective. I feel like if you turned them into needle covered tentacles, you'd actually be putting out less venom (because there isn't enough force involved to sink needles into your prey).

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2017, 10:59:27 pm »

Shit, I missed two turns? I'm really sorry about that. What with the number of players, I kinda thought turns would take longer. Do I still get the EP from those turns?

I think it counts as if you were saving up.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2017, 12:17:41 am »

Shit, I missed two turns? I'm really sorry about that. What with the number of players, I kinda thought turns would take longer. Do I still get the EP from those turns?

I think it counts as if you were saving up.

This is correct. Turns went fast because I had free time over the weekend, they'll slow down during the week, but should be updated every day or two.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2017, 02:33:07 am »

Er, hang on. Did my population 'grow' from 1900 to 431? Was the starvation that bad?

Quote from: Last turn
Your population explodes to 1900!
Quote from: This turn
Population grows to 431, but drops to 406 due to starvation.

EDIT: Also, could I find more algae above the water, or is the land mostly barren rocks at the moment?

Also also, is 'being able to eat plants' a 2 EP thing for me?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:40:11 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2017, 07:26:56 am »

Didn't and weren't  the toxic-resilient tristars eating the Goobloids because...
Goobloids: Your species does little during this period, biding its time until the next ecological disaster. Food was fairly easy to find, and scavenging was decent for these glowing deep sea creatures. Predation was also light and generally nothing interesting happened in the deep sea. Population grows to 457.
This and your previous turn you stated that they lack predation, but their predation stems from the tristars as they can eat them even with their prey having toxic flesh. Unless, my jellyfish have become so prevalent in the deep seas that they have reduced the numbers of tristars to such a little amount that they not are even considered on the equation. You said that the tristars were larger than one of the other species, I think they were the Brot worm on how they were too large to be eaten. What exactly are the dimensions of the tristars?, 3x5?

Edited: Also with the invasive invertebrates species, does it affect both areas or just the deep sea?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:23:52 am by Shadowclaw777 »

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2017, 12:19:16 pm »

How exactly would a creature get to dry land from the Deep Sea without swimming?
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2017, 12:30:35 pm »

Didn't and weren't  the toxic-resilient tristars eating the Goobloids because...
Goobloids: Your species does little during this period, biding its time until the next ecological disaster. Food was fairly easy to find, and scavenging was decent for these glowing deep sea creatures. Predation was also light and generally nothing interesting happened in the deep sea. Population grows to 457.
This and your previous turn you stated that they lack predation, but their predation stems from the tristars as they can eat them even with their prey having toxic flesh. Unless, my jellyfish have become so prevalent in the deep seas that they have reduced the numbers of tristars to such a little amount that they not are even considered on the equation. You said that the tristars were larger than one of the other species, I think they were the Brot worm on how they were too large to be eaten. What exactly are the dimensions of the tristars?, 3x5?

Edited: Also with the invasive invertebrates species, does it affect both areas or just the deep sea?

Predation varies from turn to to turn. Sometimes creatures will strike out almost completely, or they'll find a different food source. This hasn't happened to any player species yet because they have been able to outcompete the locals and basically destroy the traditional ecosystem. Tristars population has been dropping, and they have a stable food source that isn't the goobloids. Also I sort of changed their dimensions because the math was adding up weird. See they have tiny bodies and long arms, which makes their dimensions funky, because they're not really that big. It's lead to some weird issues with the math.

Major events typically effect both while minor events only effect one area.

How exactly would a creature get to dry land from the Deep Sea without swimming?

With great difficulty. I've been meaning to draw a map, so I'll work on that and it will answer your question.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2017, 01:00:19 pm »

You should totally make a Bestiary.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2017, 01:02:54 pm »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2017, 01:21:23 pm »

What would the cost be for cross-species parasitism for the chitters?  Basically I want the offspring to have the ability to tunnel into other larger plants/animals like a worm and live safely inside their flesh whilst eating them from the inside out.  (potentially I'd want to start off or upgrade it later on to allow for carrier style parasite-ism, the same way they inhabit their mothers where they leech off of the organisms food supply without harming it(much) or killing it.  My plan would be to eventually get to the point where young chitters can hide inside the bodies of large plant-life, reproducing inside of it and leaving as they begin to take too much of a toll on the plant.  Effectively turning large plants/coral reefs/ eventually trees/maybe even whales and such ect into living hives.)

edit:Also coming to realize that we have very few producers who are above the microbial level.  What would the cost be about to go from cross-species parasitism to a few 'trait' steals.  Like for example in the real world the mitochondria in human cells are believed to have been a different form of single celled life, the same is for chloroplasts in plants (if I am remembering highschool correctly).  So I was thinking that the chitter could infest a plant life-form, steal it's chloroplast containing cells and get a sort of photo-synthetic ability for themselves.  Not necessarily something that would give enough food to grow and reproduce but maybe enough to enter a low-metabolism slower state without starving.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:07:40 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2017, 02:43:18 pm »

So here is an incredibly rough and poorly drawn map of what you're dealing with.

So you'd have to go to the edge of the deep ocean, find a way to climb the undersea cliff and then cross the shallow ocean to get to dry land. There are several subsystems involved as well. There are reef systems (which most of the creatures living in the shallow sea live near), the sea cliff is its own subsystem, there are hydrothermal vents in the deep ocean, and a cold seep in the ocean trench area. Theoretically land has subsystems like rivers and lakes, but its all abstract until someone goes up there.

What would the cost be for cross-species parasitism for the chitters?  Basically I want the offspring to have the ability to tunnel into other larger plants/animals like a worm and live safely inside their flesh whilst eating them from the inside out.  (potentially I'd want to start off or upgrade it later on to allow for carrier style parasite-ism, the same way they inhabit their mothers where they leech off of the organisms food supply without harming it(much) or killing it.  My plan would be to eventually get to the point where young chitters can hide inside the bodies of large plant-life, reproducing inside of it and leaving as they begin to take too much of a toll on the plant.  Effectively turning large plants/coral reefs/ eventually trees/maybe even whales and such ect into living hives.)

edit:Also coming to realize that we have very few producers who are above the microbial level.  What would the cost be about to go from cross-species parasitism to a few 'trait' steals.  Like for example in the real world the mitochondria in human cells are believed to have been a different form of single celled life, the same is for chloroplasts in plants (if I am remembering highschool correctly).  So I was thinking that the chitter could infest a plant life-form, steal it's chloroplast containing cells and get a sort of photo-synthetic ability for themselves.  Not necessarily something that would give enough food to grow and reproduce but maybe enough to enter a low-metabolism slower state without starving.

For you to get started, it would probably cost you 2 points to get into the parasitism game (because your slightly parasitic). Right now there's only one parasite and it doesn't really do much. So i'll have to figure out food points for parasitism. As far as trait stealing goes, that's probably not something I'm going to allow. True, on the bellow microscopic level, like cell organ level, it can happen. But once you are large enough to be measured in millimeters, that sort of thing is impossible. Parasitism = total go. Cell organelle thievery = nope.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2017, 03:35:14 pm »

Great, thanks!
Nom nom nom

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2017, 04:06:29 pm »

Any spaces left?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2017, 04:21:56 pm »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2017, 04:29:05 pm »