Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Digging Too Deep IC: Nightmare  (Read 3060 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Digging Too Deep IC: Nightmare
« on: April 14, 2017, 12:59:35 pm »

((OOC here)

Nestled among rolling green hills is the quite city of Silverbow, population thirty-thousand give or take. Its a city often described as "picturesque" by those passing through. Even apparent blemishes-such as the massive pit left by Copperhead corporation's mining operations have been turned into something of a tourist attraction fit for the postcards. The buildings of the city have an antique feel to them, most of main street is occupied by red-bricked buildings older than your grandparents. Modern buildings exist as well, especially around the suburbs, though they often feel out of place. All in all it is a fairly average city....

Right?

"Tap....tap....tap...." An old man sits at the bar in a coffee shop. He is wearing a practical outfit-blue jeans and a work shirt, both stained in what is apparently (mostly) coffee. His drink, the strongest the shop had to offer, ripples three times as he taps on the bar with his finger. "Tap....tap....tap" Of course-that isn't the most obvious trait of the man. His hair is wild and dirty, his face is covered in at least a couple days worth of stubble. If not for the fact he paid in advance with a generous tip, everyone in the room would assume he was homeless. "Tap.......tap....tap...." But it was his eyes that drew you in. Bloodshot as you have ever seen, something was obviously wrong with him.

His body contorted-something between crying, laughing, and coughing. It goes still once again just as abruptly. "Tap....tap....tap...."

The shop itself was packed today. A variety of figures-several obviously from out of town-fill the booths, tables, and bar of the shop. Some came for an early morning cup of Joe before heading off to work. Others are here for the freshly baked donuts and cinnamon rolls behind the glass display case. Still others seem to be here chiefly for the free wifi, ignoring the even-busier chain stores for their own privacy. The sun was just beginning to rise above the distant mountains, a handful of sparse clouds were visible in the blue sky outside the window.

Aside from that man, nothing odd was going on here. Few people even acknowledged him. The shop's worker, a young freckled girl with a brown pony tail peaking from a baseball cap with the shop's logo on it, was too busy taking orders to notice what is going on (or, perhaps is politely ignoring it). A few patrons look toward the man with a mixture of expressions, though most return to their business soon after.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:14:31 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging Too Deep IC: You all meet in a Coffee Bar
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 04:26:59 pm »

Sitting with a booth to himself Troy Burson slowly sipped his coffee, his second cup since he sat down. Between sips he idly fills in a crossword puzzle from a local newspaper he picked up that morning. He occasionally eyes the people that enter the shop before dismissing them to continue his musings on a 7 letter word for mournful.

The old man while odd drew little prolonged attention from Troy beyond reminding him he should shave.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:39:23 pm by Cain12 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:05:03 pm »

A young man, who is easily identifiable as an employee of the coffee shop, stands behind the counter. It seems he's selling donuts and other baked goods to customers. He wears a red and black flannel, and the same hat as the young woman who serves the coffee. During a particularly slow moment, one where all patrons seemed to have their coffee and baked goods and low conversations filled the air, Lewis moved over to the coffee bar to talk to the old man.

Hey Mr. C, how's it going? You need a refill or anything? he says, somewhat apprehensively. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:06:31 pm by Roboson »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 06:19:49 pm »

At the back of the coffee shop sits Dix, a mysterious man who was new to town. He was sitting at a table by himself with his coffee - black, one sugar - just wishing that he could smoke inside the shop.

Somehow, over all the noise in the shop, Dix makes out the tapping if the man at the bar. The sound stands out eerily over the chatter, as well as his deranged laughter. After a little while of this, Dix sees one of the clerks go up to him and ask him a question. Deciding to do some eavesdropping reconnaissance, Dix try's to listen in to their conversation.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 12:22:22 pm »

Its easy for the nosy detective to listen in on the conversation-the shop isn't large by a long shot, and the background noise is minimal. Everyone in the shop can hear what is going on if they are paying even the slightest bit of attention.

The man's response was a simple nod of his head, up and down once. After that, "Tap.........tap.......tap.....". The coffee certainly didn't need refilling, he had at most taken a sip of it before letting it sit in its place.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 05:19:53 pm »

Seeing that something was obviously wrong, and generally being an ok guy, but mostly being worried the man would freak out the other customers, Lewis asked Hey, is everything alright? You seem a little upset.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 06:13:20 pm »

There is a noisy clatter as Sylvia drops the pen she had been twirling in her fingers, startling her.

Stupid.. she thinks to herself, blushing, as she reaches down to pick it up, realizing that she had been day-dreaming this whole time. The notebook that was supposed to be filled with novel ideas was empty, yet the constant page tears make it look well worn from the outside.

It's time to face the music, girl, fiction is not your forte. She thinks to herself, as she looks for a barista to ask for a refill. She spots him over at the old man was tapping nervously, and, whether it is years of habit, or simply being rude, starts to eavesdrop on their conversation.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Digging Too Deep IC: Coffee of Cthulhu
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 07:10:31 pm »

As another patron joined in on the eavesdropping, the man answered verbally this time.

"I can hear it....even when I'm awake now...."

The words sounded weary, as if each word took herculean effort to pronounce. A second contortion mirroring the first punctuated his sentence, lasting roughly twice as long as the first.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 07:30:12 pm »

Lewis looks around for a moment, a bewildered look on his face, almost as if... nevermind, it was nothing. Hear what?

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 07:34:14 pm »

((I kinda figured someone else would try doing something other then listen in. :P)).

The man's response was, naturally, "Tap.....tap.....tap...."

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 08:13:35 pm »

((*Cough* someone else do something *cough cough*))

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 09:01:21 pm »

((*Cough* someone else do something *cough cough*))
(My character isn't even in the coffee shop yet, so I can't do anything.)
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 10:58:46 pm »

((If nobody does anything by tomorrow, just keep talking to him and I'll move the plot along :P)).

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 11:16:39 pm »

This guy is either crazy, or hiding something. Better check it out. . .
Dix heads up to the counter and sits next to the old man. He gives him a good look for anything physically wrong before saying anything.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 11:49:02 pm »

(Search 17+1+3=21)

Dix ain't exactly a doctor, but this ain't exactly rocket surgery. The detective's keen eye quickly picks out a handful of symptoms, droopy eyes, pale skin, his head nodding slightly with each "Tap...Tap...Tap"....The guy hasn't a good nights sleep in some time, and its showing.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4